Habs UFA Thread

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very decent signing.

Have to wonder now who among Gill, Gorges and Mara will be the 4th dman.

it'll be hamrlik

Gorges will be our 3rd.

Good article about his very few turnovers, and being the only plus dman the Rangers had. I wonder if Gomez recommended him.

Any the pairings are interesting. I think Martin has a good skater with a stay at home guy.

I beleive Spacek Plays the RD, Gorges RD and Mara i think is a RD. I am trying to remember.

I see Gil with Gorges on the bottom pair.

I see Mara and Markov

Spacek and Hamrlik

Fisher is a right hander as well.

I am really starting to like the line up. I am looking forward to players who work hard, play tough, stand up for team mates. All the signings (except Cammallari) have prety good palyoff experience as well.

I think the days of running over Price and watching the habs players skate awy are finally over.

Good article about his very few turnovers, and being the only plus dman the Rangers had. I wonder if Gomez recommended him.

Any the pairings are interesting. I think Martin has a good skater with a stay at home guy.

I beleive Spacek Plays the RD, Gorges RD and Mara i think is a RD. I am trying to remember.

I see Gil with Gorges on the bottom pair.

I see Mara and Markov

Spacek and Hamrlik

Mara will make us forget about Komi, I'm 100% sure of that. (well maybe everyone but Habsfan will forget about Komi :P)

Markov - Komisarek

Gorges - Hamrlik

Bouillon - Schneider

O'Byrne/Weber

OR

Markov - Mara

Spacek - Hamrlik

Gill - Gorges

O'Byrne/Weber

I like this season (so far)

besides the overestimated Komi (just so as not to hurt Habsfan)

our D has GREATLY improved.

Mara IMO is more reliable than Komi and if one things has more offensive upside. It's like putting Begin's yapper, Bouillon's offense and reliabilty and Komi's size and toughness in the blender... it gives you a Mara-shake... lol

Spacek is as good as Schneids, but is way way more reliable and also... younger! (lmao)

Gill is a Pylon, but if paired with safe-guy Gorges, we won't have any problem there. Gorges is not the type to put his partner in trouble...

I still think thay need to add a gritty RW, penalty kill guy to play with Lapierre. Preferably with some size.

It wouldn't surprise me to see 1 small move to get that done.

I still think thay need to add a gritty RW, penalty kill guy to play with Lapierre. Preferably with some size.

It wouldn't surprise me to see 1 small move to get that done.

Grier and Moen are still out there.

My thing with Mara... if he is a good pickup, why'd he only get a 1 year deal? At 29, I'd be more prepared to commit to multiple years for him than for Gill or Sissy.

PK Suban, Y.Weber And R. O`BURN

ok then

who are our top 6 right handed D.

the 1st 6 are good but 3 of them have to play on the right hand side which isnt natural for a D.

I was thinking of those 2 guys as well. The habs would need to clear some cap space though. Meaning Chipchura, D'Agi someone who can't be sent down for a pick or an AHL prospect.

Lats Lapierre Greer would be very nice.

Grier and Moen are still out there.

My thing with Mara... if he is a good pickup, why'd he only get a 1 year deal? At 29, I'd be more prepared to commit to multiple years for him than for Gill or Sissy.

Last offseason, Mara wanted a multi-year deal, but eventually settled for a 1 year contract to stay in New York. I presume the same happened this year, he wanted a multi-year deal but had to settle. Problem is, the Rangers are capped out, so he had to take it elsewhere.

Besides, a 1 year deal is good for us as well, one would hope Weber will be ready after a second full AHL campaign, and if the cap does go down after this season, it'll be nice to already have some expiring contracts on the books.

Maybe he wasn't getting the money and term he wanted elsewhere, so he signed here for one season with the idea he'd rack up a lot of points playing with Markov on the PP, and then go for the big bucks next UFA season.

I don't know. I'm certainly not turning up my nose at this signing though.

Last offseason, Mara wanted a multi-year deal, but eventually settled for a 1 year contract to stay in New York. I presume the same happened this year, he wanted a multi-year deal but had to settle. Problem is, the Rangers are capped out, so he had to take it elsewhere.

Besides, a 1 year deal is good for us as well, one would hope Weber will be ready after a second full AHL campaign, and if the cap does go down after this season, it'll be nice to already have some expiring contracts on the books.

any idea for how much $?

Yeah, just saying a 1 year for Gill and 2 years for Mara might be better.

any idea for how much $?

Mara made just under $2M last season so I assume it is the same [ hoping ...maybe lower?]

Edited by Habitforming

any idea for how much $?

If memory serves me right, he was angling for around $3M per on a multi-year deal last season, settled for $1.95 on a 1-year. My guess for what he got this season would be about $2.25-2.5M as the UFA market is depleted on D.

I agree, but I'm guessing Gill wouldn't have come on a 1-year pact, and that early into free agency (July 1 around 4 PM EST), Mara was probably trying to get that 3-year contract he's coveted for 2 years now.

Mara will make us forget about Komi, I'm 100% sure of that. (well maybe everyone but Habsfan will forget about Komi :P)

Mara wont make anybody forget about Komisarek. There is a reason Mara has been on 5 different teams now. Hes never lived up to his potential.

Howver he is still youngm and might still be coming into his own.

I do like this signing and I like him alot better than either Brisebois or Boullion. ITs an upgrade

Anybody know what he signed for? He played for Boston for about $2 million last year

if 1.95 is the max you can get at 29 and you just saw Komi getting 4.5M for the same work you're doing, you certainly don't want to commit to more than 1 year, and you certainly want to play with Markov too, in order to be the "biggest UFA dman out there" the next year, just like Komi.

Mara wont make anybody forget about Komisarek. There is a reason Mara has been on 5 different teams now. Hes never lived up to his potential.

Howver he is still youngm and might still be coming into his own.

I do like this signing and I like him alot better than either Brisebois or Boullion. ITs an upgrade

Anybody know what he signed for? He played for Boston for about $2 million last year

you mean just like Komi last season? :)

You have to like the veteran D being brought in. Clearly Gainey has made protecting/insulating price a priority. Veteran guys like Gill, Spacek, and now Mara are going to significantly improve the team's overall defence. Couple that with Martin's new system and Carey could be in for a REAL breakout year.

Agree on the need for another big body on the 3rd line (although that could end up being MaxPac). Somebody like Shanahan could be a good fit on a one year deal...

Agree on the need for another big body on the 3rd line (although that could end up being MaxPac). Somebody like Shanahan could be a good fit on a one year deal...

You know...i hesitated in dropping Shanny's name in some other threads...but I'm glad to see others think the same. He's got the grit, the experience, and the pure passion for that role. He's not expecting big bucks either. I think if he looks at that line-up, he wouldn't think twice.

Perhaps I'm wrong regarding Mara's salary:

Mara, qui a empoché 1,95 million $ US la saison dernière, a accepté une légère diminution de salaire pour se joindre au Tricolore.

Roughly translated: Mara, who earned $ 1.95 million U.S. last season, has agreed to a slight reduction in salary to join the Habs.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...rrain-connu.php

This isn't confirmed though, just a report at this time.