Habs current standings crazy - what to do? nothing!

Sir_Boagalott

I didnt say I wanted him fired but Im sure that if we miss the playoffs he will be fired anyway based on the moves he did this summer.

Do you think the owners take into considerations the number of injuries in making a decision on the GM and the Coach? Just asking!

Some teams are currently unjamming and will put rank 5 out of range.

Out of range is 6pts ahead and 2 games in hand.

Boston is 6-2-2 and will not slow down, only move up.

Atlanta win their game on the road, they are in position to keep

rank 6.

IT leaves 7 to 13, 7 teams to play 500 hockey for two spots.

Tampa and Carolina are diving down for 14-15, Seguin and Hall.

Habs will fight and i believe will succeed 1/2 half for two simple reason

Captain Gionta , A MArkov and Carey Price

Not a wa, Spezza less. No Goalie.

Phillie : Do not give them Halak.

Ragers : Bob is a genius, Higgins is raping ^_^ this team apart.

Toronto : Missing depth, but on their way up maybe a 8th.

Isles: If only they had a d squad, their offense is getting good.

You know its funny, before the season started, many expected us to start slow, guys getting used to each other etc. Then Markov went down, the general consensus was if we can stay in the hunt without him this will be a much better team once he's back, and we may be dangerous in the playoffs still. This team (with additional injuries) has basically done that, they've been right around .500 mark with 2-3 Bulldogs in the lineup on average, and competitive on most nights. Kosty is waking up, Price is back to himself, we're seeing some chemistry develop, and now Marky is looking like he'll be back to us early.

This team should be too good to tank, and if it it isn't then Gainey needs to be held accountable, because he spent his money the way he chose to last summer and got the guys he presumably wanted. Spent all his money, might I add. I've always defended Gainey, but I don't see how you can get a free pass if it turns out you capped out to get yourself a lottery team.

Do you think the owners take into considerations the number of injuries in making a decision on the GM and the Coach? Just asking!

I think that if Gainey tells the owners "I had a choice of making a run for the playoffs or tanking for the highest draftpick available and I chose to tank" I think they would fire him.

Glen Sather is a genius, Gomez is earning almost every other cent of his anchor, err... I mean contract.

Speaking of anchor, staying there with no progress Ryan Mcdonagh.

Still a stay at home D with little chance to make it. No roughness, no ofense.

Even Komisarek had better offensive numbers in NCAA at same age

Del Zotto, Staal are the future of the

Rags d sqad. Most likely Mcdonagh will be a 6-7th in a AHL team...and he was considered

our diamond prospect...

Mcdonagh 2009-10 U. of Wisconsin NCAA 18 2 8 10 37

Komisarek 2001-02 U. of Michigan NCAA 39 11 19 30 68

Gomez..with Gionta he was really not all that bad.But with both Segei and Gionta

it could work really good. He still has a couple years to his contract to make up for

his latest scewups.

Speaking of anchor, staying there with no progress Ryan Mcdonagh.

Still a stay at home D with little chance to make it. No roughness, no ofense.

Even Komisarek had better offensive numbers in NCAA at same age

Del Zotto, Staal are the future of the

Rags d sqad. Most likely Mcdonagh will be a 6-7th in a AHL team...and he was considered

our diamond prospect...

Mcdonagh 2009-10 U. of Wisconsin NCAA 18 2 8 10 37

Komisarek 2001-02 U. of Michigan NCAA 39 11 19 30 68

Gomez..with Gionta he was really not all that bad.But with both Segei and Gionta

it could work really good. He still has a couple years to his contract to make up for

his latest scewups.

Since when do goals and assists determine a players worth?

Duncan Keith as a 20 year old at Michigan State put up

2002-03 Michigan State University NCAA 15 3 6 9 8

Does that make him a limited prospect? I am assuming that you have watched McDonagh on a regular

basis at Wisconsin to limit him to a 6-7th AHL defenseman?

Come on.

Cammallari is the only true sniper the habe have had since the early 90's if memory serves me. He siad the reason he came was Gomez.

I never heard Cams say that. gionta said it, but not Cammalleri.

As long as we are stuck with Gomez' 7.5 million$ on the cap, we're gonna have damn hard time rebuilding this team!

The Gomez deal was lousy!

Speaking of anchor, staying there with no progress Ryan Mcdonagh. . .

How is a slowly developing prospect an anchor?

his latest scewups.

The thing is, they are paying him enough that he should be "the guy." When you make that kind of money, you're supposed to make the players around you play better. You're not supposed to need other big salary players to be effective. Gomez can be a great playmaker, there's little doubt of that. Top money players, however, need to be able to make things happen on their own. They need to be able to do it all. Gomez's success relies 80% in the ability of his linemates to make something happen with his passes. He is not a guy who creates offense on his own. I'd be perfectly happy with him at about half his salary. As it stands, I think that regardless of who Bob gave up to get him, Gomez's contract makes him completely undesirable. Was it worth trading for Gomez's contract in order to lure in Brian Gionta?

Every post about Gomez is bang on. So what do we do? 4 more years of complaining I suppose. Since we have him, and he replaced one of my favourite Habs of all time, Saku Koivu, I say give him some time. He should make players better, YES. Well he isnt, so I'm hoping he finishes strong with a rested Gionta. Also, I'll bet anyone here that the cap goes UP before his contract ends, assuming it does drop for next year. In 3 years, he'll still be making too much money, but it won't be the anchor it is now.

The thing is, they are paying him enough that he should be "the guy." When you make that kind of money, you're supposed to make the players around you play better. You're not supposed to need other big salary players to be effective. Gomez can be a great playmaker, there's little doubt of that. Top money players, however, need to be able to make things happen on their own. They need to be able to do it all. Gomez's success relies 80% in the ability of his linemates to make something happen with his passes. He is not a guy who creates offense on his own. I'd be perfectly happy with him at about half his salary. As it stands, I think that regardless of who Bob gave up to get him, Gomez's contract makes him completely undesirable. Was it worth trading for Gomez's contract in order to lure in Brian Gionta?

Yep, Gomez's contract is definitely out of whack. And Cammalleri did say that Gomez factored in his signing, but I doubt he was "the reason" ($6m and the chance to continue playing in Canada, but not in Toronto year round probably were bigger). Cammalleri also said Markov and Spacek (good puckmovers) were factors in his signing. I'd definitely rather have two centers making the money Gomez does by himself, but hey, we can make it work. The Rangers made the playoffs with both Gomez and Drury's albatrosses the past two years (and added Redden for last year's run), so I don't think it's impossible to have a good team with Gomez's contract on the books. We just have to make the other contracts work.

I heard yesterday on the Calagary broadcated game that the cap isn't doing anything next year. Should stay the same.

Obviously nothing official.

Yes, Cammi said in 2 differnet interviews playing with a playmaker and winner like Gomez was the reason he signed with the habs. Obviously the money and length of contract helped. but he did state that playing with a top centre was a main reason he signed.

Since when do goals and assists determine a players worth?

Duncan Keith as a 20 year old at Michigan State put up

2002-03 Michigan State University NCAA 15 3 6 9 8

Does that make him a limited prospect? I am assuming that you have watched McDonagh on a regular

basis at Wisconsin to limit him to a 6-7th AHL defenseman?

Come on.

No i didn't see him except for the international tournament and the summer prospect camp

but i have huge confidence on Timmins ability to draft overrated american prospects.

He skates good like Traverse, pass like O'byrne, plays the body like Mara and shoots like Popovic.

Come on, topic is what to do with the standings-nothing, what are we doing is having fun watching

how they will make it to the playoffs with that kind of hockey. We may have at least a bit of fun

bashing our ex players and prospects when they don't succeed.

As it stands, I think that regardless of who Bob gave up to get him, Gomez's contract makes him completely undesirable. Was it worth trading for Gomez's contract in order to lure in Brian Gionta?

No Gionta, no Cammalleri. Instead probably Saku and Kovalev. Happier with the team now?

The thing is, they are paying him enough that he should be "the guy." When you make that kind of money, you're supposed to make the players around you play better. You're not supposed to need other big salary players to be effective. Gomez can be a great playmaker, there's little doubt of that. Top money players, however, need to be able to make things happen on their own.

Agreed!

Every post about Gomez is bang on. So what do we do? 4 more years of complaining I suppose. Since we have him, and he replaced one of my favourite Habs of all time, Saku Koivu, I say give him some time. He should make players better, YES. Well he isnt, so I'm hoping he finishes strong with a rested Gionta.

Even though many of us agree that the Gomez signing was lousy, like you said, i think we should give gomez and Gionta a full year together. If they somehow manage to salvage their seasons with a great 2nd half, then the deal will hurt a little less.

Even though the Habs seem to suck lately, I think we should wait and see what they'll be like once Markov and Gionta will be back! It'll be the first time since game 1 we'll have the whole team on the ice at the same time!

As long as Cammalleri doens't get injured, I still think we have decent chance of squeaking into the playoffs!

I heard yesterday on the Calagary broadcated game that the cap isn't doing anything next year. Should stay the same.

Obviously nothing official.

Yes, Cammi said in 2 differnet interviews playing with a playmaker and winner like Gomez was the reason he signed with the habs. Obviously the money and length of contract helped. but he did state that playing with a top centre was a main reason he signed.

It definitely got the ball rolling. Players were less hesitant about Montreal's offers because by getting Gomez they showed how much they wanted to improve.

Cammalleri actually met face to face with Dave Nonis inside the ACC in Toronto and then turned them down to sign in Montreal. Apparently he enjoys summers in Toronto and thought that would be compromised by being a Maple Leaf. He doesn't mind the spotlight (he hasn't found a mic so far in Montreal he hasn't liked), but he still is an easy going guy who likes his down time.

Basically, Cammalleri loved playing in Calgary, and in Canada by extension. But he didn't want to play in Toronto. He felt comfortable with Montreal because of Gomez, Markov, and Spacek in particular. And obviously, the contract was a very nice one.

Kovalev is overpayed as well at 5M but Id rather have Kovalev at 5M and Koivu at 4M than those three for a combined 18.3M

Really? I mean, really? We'd be dead last without a doubt.

No Gionta, no Cammalleri. Instead probably Saku and Kovalev. Happier with the team now?

But did Cammalleri say Gomez was the reason he signed here? I remember reading things that he was already interested in Montreal and wanted to play for an Original Six team and loved the team's history.

But did Cammalleri say Gomez was the reason he signed here? I remember reading things that he was already interested in Montreal and wanted to play for an Original Six team and loved the team's history.

He also said that Gomez was someone he wanted to play with. Before the start of the season, there were thoughts of all three playing together and I wondered if one would become unhappy very quickly when they didn't get to play with Gomez.

Depends on how we wouldve used the 9M left... Gaborik? Hossa? Maybe Cammalleri wouldnt have turned us down...

Gaborik and Hossa, so very highly doubtful. Cammalleri? I don't know, but I have my doubts again. He was interested in Gomez too.

Depends on how we wouldve used the 9M left... Gaborik? Hossa? Maybe Cammalleri wouldnt have turned us down...

Good point. At 6 million per year over 5 years, I think Cams would be habs even if Gomez wasn't here!

Everyone knows Gomez is hugely overpaid and yes, his numbers need to come up. I'll add that he is one of the weakest players I've ever seen when it comes to one on one battles along the boards. However Gomez is also one of those shifty players who does a lot of little things that make him hard to play against. As another poster said someplace, he "tilts the ice", deftly controlling the puck, making plays out of nothing, creating opportunities where none existed. He seems to be genuinely respected among his peers, which suggests to me that he is a hard player to handle. In short, he may be one of those guys who looks better at ice level than he does on the score-sheet.

Not saying he should be above criticism, just trying to work out the mystique he seems to have among his peers. And also gently suggesting that fans (and media) are crapping on his prematurely, mostly based on his salary.

Not saying he should be above criticism, just trying to work out the mystique he seems to have among his peers. And also gently suggesting that fans (and media) are crapping on his prematurely, mostly based on his salary.

I just love this stuff Monsieur Cucumber! A good read.

Mats.

PS. GO ANDREI! GO GOMEZ! make the media eat their words.

Edited by matsnaslundsuperfn

To add to what Gomez brings, I'd have to say it's been a LONG time since I've seen a skilled centre with anything close to his defensive abilities. Plex is excellent as well, of course, but I think Gomez has the edge. I also think he's playing with little confidence right now.