What is up the with parade of Olympic snubs from the Habs?

ForumGhost

It's a GREAT thing. Our players will get to sit home, rest and not be exposed to potential injuries and mental/physical exhaustion. Before the season, I was worried about Markov going to the Olympics, but now after missing so much time to injury I think he'll actually use it as some conditioning stint.

Hamrlik would have been Czech Republic's #2 defenseman, and they picked, who, Jan Hejda over Spacek? I'm surprised they remembered to take Plekanec. :rolleyes: Then Burke picks Callahan, Malone, Langenbrunner and Pavelski over Gionta and Gomez. :blink:

Hamrlik would have been Czech Republic's #2 defenseman, and they picked, who, Jan Hejda over Spacek? I'm surprised they remembered to take Plekanec. :rolleyes: Then Burke picks Callahan, Malone, Langenbrunner and Pavelski over Gionta and Gomez. :blink:

Spacek kinda sucks, but I would have picked Hamrlik for sure.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/news...html?cid=rsstsn

"Aging American stalwarts such as Mike Modano, Bill Guerin, Keith Tkachuk and Scott Gomez will all be able to rest during the long break in February because they were left off the team."

Well he did turn 30 last week. I guess 30 is the new 40.

The Czechs showed simple blithering incompetence in leaving Hammer off. He is a tremendously understated and valuable hockey player. As for the USA, Gomez is perfect for the IIHF officiating, but he doesn't show the requisite level of "truculence." Gionta does, but we all know Jerke is a boob. No point in looking for good sense from that quarter.

As far as I'm concerned, even Yzerman's choices are suspect. Pronger is a dumb-penalty machine and he and Mike Richards have toxic chemistry - so we put them on the club?? Bergeron will be useful, but my preference is that we go with our best players, period. Anyway, that's beside the point of this thread.

KoZed is correct. The ignorant omission of some excellent Habs is a huge break for our team. :clap: Good news as far as I'm concerned.

Please send all the other Olympic guys home as well. Tell the powers-that-be that they've been rude and obnoxious. Anything to avoid injury.

I find it kinda sad Cammy got snub, but maybe all the better if a few of 'les boys' can hang in those 2 weeks and get 'closer'

+

who knows maybe the guys who will be there will come back with 'hate' to share :unsure:

You know the kinda hate you just showed :lol: about the possibility of injuries :puke:

This might be a blessing in disguise ^_^

GO! :hlogo: GO! :)

As much as I would have liked to see more of them go to the Olympics, in a sense I am glad. I am in the camp of those who believe that our players will be rested and in great shape when the time will come to play the last leg of the season. Who knows? we might even go further than we should have just because of that...

Edited by JCPetit

Hejda definitely deserved a spot on the team. He's one of the more underrated defensive guys in the league. Spacek and Hamrlik definitely have legitimate gripes, but Hejda should be there regardless of those two being on the team or not.

As for team USA, Callahan is the only real head scratcher from the names you listed. Langenbrunner, Malone, and Pavelski are all playing fine hockey this year. Like you, I questioned those picks initially, until I looked up their numbers. Gomez really has only turned it on in the last 10 days or so and Gionta was a question mark with his injury. Neither is a big surprise to be left off.

As for Cammalleri, I really don't understand why people seem to be so upset about him not being on team Canada. There are a lot of guys who got left off the team that have legitimate arguments. I don't, however, see anyone who got named to the team who should clearly be replaced by anyone else. This is team Canada, there are always going to be excellent players who don't make the team.

Hejda definitely deserved a spot on the team. He's one of the more underrated defensive guys in the league. Spacek and Hamrlik definitely have legitimate gripes, but Hejda should be there regardless of those two being on the team or not.

As for team USA, Callahan is the only real head scratcher from the names you listed. Langenbrunner, Malone, and Pavelski are all playing fine hockey this year. Like you, I questioned those picks initially, until I looked up their numbers. Gomez really has only turned it on in the last 10 days or so and Gionta was a question mark with his injury. Neither is a big surprise to be left off.

As for Cammalleri, I really don't understand why people seem to be so upset about him not being on team Canada. There are a lot of guys who got left off the team that have legitimate arguments. I don't, however, see anyone who got named to the team who should clearly be replaced by anyone else. This is team Canada, there are always going to be excellent players who don't make the team.

Could not have put it better.

Bergeron I question.

For me, it's not a big surprise that both were left off - Gionta wasn't even part of the preliminary 50 or so who had drug tests in the offseason; he was never a possibility, especially after missing more than half the season due to injury. Gomez, is he really a top 2 C ahead of Stastny and Parise? Probably not and his game isn't geared to be a checker or grinder as has been noted.

Hamrlik was the biggest shocker to me but the Czechs appear to be going with a younger group of d-men. Oh well, more rest for him.

I have a feeling Peter Forsberg will die in this olympics. He hasnt played consecutive games in the eliteleague at all this year and allways some kind of injuries or illness that stops him. If Chara get a good hit on Forsberg he will break in half.

I never really expected him to make the team, but he could be on the bubble for sure, or an injury call up. If Bergeron can make it, Cammy sure should have had a chance. He plays more than one position, has a great attitude and adds grind and great forechecking to his obvious offensive skillset. While he not be the best in any single category, he is a prototypical Canadian sniper. I mean c'mon, he's tied for 4th with Iginla for goals by Canadian players.

Regardless of whether he made the team or not, he should have at least been invited to camp.

Edited by ForumGhost

I never really expected him to make the team, but he could be on the bubble for sure, or an injury call up. If Bergeron can make it, Cammy sure should have had a chance. He plays more than one position, has a great attitude and adds grind and great forechecking to his obvious offensive skillset. While he not be the best in any single category, he is a prototypical Canadian sniper. I mean c'mon, he's tied for 4th with Iginla for goals by Canadian players.

Regardless of whether he made the team or not, he should have at least been invited to camp.

The way I see it, Cammalleri isn't even on the short list of injury replacements. Brad Richards leads that list, with Lecavalier, St. Louis, and Stamkos not far behind. A healthy Marc Savard likely also would be ahead of Cammalleri. That's just guys off the top of my head. I don't know who all was invited to camp, so I can't really comment on any players who may have been less deserving than Camm.

The way I see it, Cammalleri isn't even on the short list of injury replacements. Brad Richards leads that list, with Lecavalier, St. Louis, and Stamkos not far behind. A healthy Marc Savard likely also would be ahead of Cammalleri. That's just guys off the top of my head. I don't know who all was invited to camp, so I can't really comment on any players who may have been less deserving than Camm.

Carboneau nailed it when he said that Cammy is not well rounded enough. He doesn't kill penalties or back check all that well.

Carboneau nailed it when he said that Cammy is not well rounded enough. He doesn't kill penalties or back check all that well.

Carbo probably would have benched him.