Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If there's any truth to Eklund's Parenteau rumor, it'll be done when the roster freeze lifts tonight at 11:59pm est. Supposedly whether it's for Briere + pick or a defenceman, the deal is in place waiting for nothing more than the roster freeze to lift.

That being said, I doubt it's as ironclad as Eklund is reporting.

Out of curiosity, I've gone to his blog every day for the last two or three months, and he hasn't been right once. What's worse, none of the trades that happened were speculated on. The only guys with decent info are Dreger, Bob McKenzie and Eliotte Friedman. But the rumors are entertaining.

Anyone expecting a busy deadline from Zoot Suit? Not me. But the Parenteau thing has been bubbling around for long enough that I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happens...so maybe one significant move and the usual minor tweaks.

Nope. Maybe he'll move Drewiske for a fifth round pick. He's committed to building long term, in the most impatient market in the NHL. We won't starr to see the panic trades for at least another year. He has his dream job, sitting at his desk scouring draft reports, texting his buddies Sly and Breezer, and wearing those odd suits.

Also, for anyone who follows prospects...

Out of curiosity, I've gone to his blog every day for the last two or three months, and he hasn't been right once. What's worse, none of the trades that happened were speculated on. The only guys with decent info are Dreger, Bob McKenzie and Eliotte Friedman. But the rumors are entertaining.

I've learned not to believe what Eklund says, I check it out for entertainment. It's better than nothing when there's not much of anything coming from TSN.

Guest Stogey24

#HABS GM Marc Bergevin has offered Andrei Markov a 1 year deal at just over $6M. Markov wants 3 year deal. Bergevin wants 2go 1yr at a time. Tony Marinaro (@TonyMarinaro) February 24, 2014

Also, for anyone who follows prospects...

DT: I keep hearing MTL is leaning against signing Brady Vail & Im at a complete loss. He does a lot of things right & is worth a contract! Mark Seidel (@MarkSeidel) February 24, 2014

What's the point of a one year deal? Might as well trade Markov if M.B only has a years worth of faith in him.

Eklund's stuff is just that, stuff, like what comes out the rear end of a horse...... or a bull, ya know, farm stuff. Farming hits for his lame blog site.....

Don't even mention trading Markov until you've read the thread here about it.... :ph34r:

I've learned not to believe what Eklund says, I check it out for entertainment. It's better than nothing when there's not much of anything coming from TSN.

I like Eklunds site, he has some very good writers on it. As to him, I think he subscribes to the, if you haven't heard a rumour by 9:00 start one immediately, update it at 3:00 pm, theory. Markov for 1 year is a stopgap, and serves no purpose, I say trade him while he has value. But most of you have probably already read my views on trading Markov so no point in re-hashing it here.

What's the point of a one year deal? Might as well trade Markov if M.B only has a years worth of faith in him.

His next deal will be 35+ so any multi-year pact inherently carries a bit more risk, especially since he could be one knee injury away from retirement. It's not uncommon for aging blueliners to go year-to-year although given the dearth of quality D on the market, Markov wouldn't have to settle for it. One thing worth noting, though, is that a one year contract would carry a higher salary as a trade-off to foregoing more guaranteed years.

Guest Stogey24

His next deal will be 35+ so any multi-year pact inherently carries a bit more risk, especially since he could be one knee injury away from retirement. It's not uncommon for aging blueliners to go year-to-year although given the dearth of quality D on the market, Markov wouldn't have to settle for it. One thing worth noting, though, is that a one year contract would carry a higher salary as a trade-off to foregoing more guaranteed years.

I understand, I'm just saying we're most likely not winning a cup next year and there is no way M.B throws a 3 year contract at Markov; he's smarter than that. If there was ever a time to make a move for the future its trading Markov to a contender at dead line. Bergevin has said himself he doesn't expect this team to contend for another 3-5 years.... If we could get rich off of Markov I think M.B should pull the trigger.

Well, if I'm Markov I sure don't settle for a 1-year deal even at the overpay.

The obvious endgame is a 2-year deal, splitting the difference. But it'll be interesting to see how it plays out...maybe if MB doesn't think #79's demands can be accommodated, we will indeed see a deadline deal.

It's probably reaction to Markov contract talk but I've been hearing Orlov and a first from Washington for Markov. 22 year old Russian who shows some great skill some shifts and pure amateur the next. Have my doubts with Orlov being a LD. Wonder if that's the asking price though, a first and a prospect almost NHL ready.

I'd offer Markov 3/6 with bonuses.

I'd offer PK 6.5 with bonuses, too. PK n Price should make the same..

Capologicilize the league!

Price signed 2 or 3 years ago. Thanks to MB stupidity There is no way PK signs for under $8m now. If he does his agent wouldn't be able to get another client.

I'd offer Markov 3/6 with bonuses.

Guest Stogey24

It's probably reaction to Markov contract talk but I've been hearing Orlov and a first from Washington for Markov. 22 year old Russian who shows some great skill some shifts and pure amateur the next. Have my doubts with Orlov being a LD. Wonder if that's the asking price though, a first and a prospect almost NHL ready.

Canadiens requested Kyle Clifford, Tanner Pearson and a first-rounder from the Kings. San Jose is another team that apparently likes Markov. He will be sent to the west if he moves at all.

Canadiens requested Kyle Clifford, Tanner Pearson and a first-rounder from the Kings. San Jose is another team that apparently likes Markov. He will be sent to the west if he moves at all.

He has a modified NTC so he has some control over where he moves. Depends on which teams are on his no list.

I wouldn't mind Pearson, but like Bournival he seems like an overachiever. Who knows how long that goes. Clifford doesn't excite me much.

I'd love to get Connor Murphy from the Coyotes but I don't see Markov getting dealt to Phoenix.

Yeah, a 1st and an NHL-ready prospect - and a serious prospect, with either real top-4 D or top-6 FW potential - and I would very, very seriously consider moving Markov, especially if I don't like his salary demands. And I don't restrict trading partners to the west either, which is typical blinkered Montreal Canadiens stupidity. (Now, it goes without saying that you don't trade him to Boston, Toronto, or even Ottawa, but that's another matter). So it sounds like MB is looking at all options and has the right idea about asking price. That's good.

PK will get paid what he deserves. Live with it.

Guest Stogey24

He has a modified NTC so he has some control over where he moves. Depends on which teams are on his no list.

I wouldn't mind Pearson, but like Bournival he seems like an overachiever. Who knows how long that goes. Clifford doesn't excite me much.

I'd love to get Connor Murphy from the Coyotes but I don't see Markov getting dealt to Phoenix.

I could see Philly throwing an arm and a leg in to get Markov. I just honestly can't see Markov staying in the east if he does get traded.

Yeah, a 1st and an NHL-ready prospect - and a serious prospect, with either real top-4 D or top-6 FW potential - and I would very, very seriously consider moving Markov, especially if I don't like his salary demands. And I don't restrict trading partners to the west either, which is typical blinkered Montreal Canadiens stupidity. (Now, it goes without saying that you don't trade him to Boston, Toronto, or even Ottawa, but that's another matter). So it sounds like MB is looking at all options and has the right idea about asking price. That's good.

You know, Boston gave up a first, a second and a former first round pick for Kaberle. If Markov's demands were too much and Boston, Toronto or Ottawa was willing to give that sort of deal (maybe the second could be conditional to turn into a first if they re-sign Markov or get to the Stanley Cup finals) plus one of their higher profile prospect/young players, like say Ottawa offered Ceci or Toronto shipped us Gardiner, I'd think about it. Boston honestly only has Dougie Hamilton I'd want and there's no way we'd get him for Markov. But Toronto and Ottawa shipping that sort of thing? I'd stomach Markov leaving if it meant the motherlode.

I never thought Anaheim would be a contender with their defence of last year and then Vatanen and Lindholm stepped up similar to what Galchenyuk and Gallagher did to our forwards. If we could get one of them or their number three defensive prospect Shea Theodore? That'd be fantastic. Vatanen reminds me of Saku Koivu if he was a defenceman. Daydreaming here.

Subban's contract can't have bonuses in it. They're restricted to entry-level players, 35+ guys, or ones who sign a one year contract after missing most of the previous season due to injury.

Sorry I dont have really an intelligent... Ok maybe not so researched wish list thing here...

I would b really ok w/ Habs trading 1st round pick for say Mcdonald not sure if good or not but would help without giving up player in org.

Reason would be more along lines that I have faith in Timmins to find roster to gems in 2nd round out....

best deal might come out of giving a 1st and 'lumber' for roster player and 2nd, well imo :)