Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Do you... do you only watch Habs games and nobody else? This is a ridiculous statement. Every single NHL team has players in the press box in case of injuries.

All I am saying is that the gist of the waiver rule is that if you are good enough to play you should be playing. My thought with the Canadiens, is if injuries don't crop up there should be a backup plan to get them into the lineup. These players will be useless to you if you don't let them play once in a while. Secondly,it is not helping the player any. And yes it is widespread through the league.

All I am saying is that the gist of the waiver rule is that if you are good enough to play you should be playing. My thought with the Canadiens, is if injuries don't crop up there should be a backup plan to get them into the lineup. These players will be useless to you if you don't let them play once in a while. Secondly,it is not helping the player any. And yes it is widespread through the league.

Agreed. They really should be rotating Pateryn and Tinordi in. This doesn't need to be a "punishment" thing for someone who had a bad game (although it could be.) You could treat it like backup goaltending. Got back to back games? Play Pateryn in for Gilbert in Game 1, then Tinordi in for Emelin in Game 2. Gives the kids some work, and gives some fresh legs on a night players might be tired.

You do realize the difference in pay cheque a player gets in press box vs AHL and isn't a bad living flying around N.A. practicing hockey and then relaxing in pressbox.

Rotate em in eh? OK rotate Tinordi in and Beaulieu sits tonight...all happy with that move simply so Tinordi can play?

If Emelin wasn't playing top 4 minutes, I might see him sitting but coaches must like what he brings.

So really Beaulieu seems only option to scratch for the big guy to draw in.

I tend to take the view that we should be icing the best team, period. We are not an affirmative action program for young guys who have not been able to outperform roster players.

Pateryn is older anyway, and will get his chance next year when Gilbert walks. Being a black ace probably won't do him much harm. I agree that the current situation is sub-optimal for Tinordi's development, but sitting Emelin - who has been having a much stronger season, on the whole, and has earned his minutes - just to slot him in does indeed seem perverse; and while Beaulieu has had his ups and downs, I doubt anyone would argue for him being benched in favour of Tinordi.

The real issue here is the waiver rules (and Zoot's refusal to lose assets to them).

I tend to take the view that we should be icing the best team, period. We are not an affirmative action program for young guys who have not been able to outperform roster players.

Pateryn is older anyway, and will get his chance next year when Gilbert walks. Being a black ace probably won't do him much harm. I agree that the current situation is sub-optimal for Tinordi's development, but sitting Emelin - who has been having a much stronger season, on the whole, and has earned his minutes - just to slot him in does indeed seem perverse; and while Beaulieu has had his ups and downs, I doubt anyone would argue for him being benched in favour of Tinordi.

The real issue here is the waiver rules (and Zoot's refusal to lose assets to them).

Put the best players on the ice. If Tinordi cant beat out the three guys in front of him, thats an indictment of him, not of the organization.

Guest Stogey24

Pat Hickey...

I guess Hickey asked Therrien if Semin was finished in Montreal and Therrien couldn't give a definitive answer..

Doubt that means anything

Seems many (all?) ex-NHLers have not so flattering comments about Semin.

Like Ray Ferraro noted in Summer before Semin was signed by anyone and asked if Habs should sign him; 'He has ZERO compete."

Jeff Oneill was called Semin-like in his compete and physical fitness-speed if he had to play 3-on-3; ONeill basically said "that is a low blow to be compared to Semin".

Many agree Semin will almost assuredly get another shot, but no one has even had anything positive to say about his play or chance he can make any difference to Galchenyuk.

Seems many (all?) ex-NHLers have not so flattering comments about Semin.

Like Ray Ferraro noted in Summer before Semin was signed by anyone and asked if Habs should sign him; 'He has ZERO compete."

Jeff Oneill was called Semin-like in his compete and physical fitness-speed if he had to play 3-on-3; ONeill basically said "that is a low blow to be compared to Semin".

Many agree Semin will almost assuredly get another shot, but no one has even had anything positive to say about his play or chance he can make any difference to Galchenyuk.

except MB liked his chances,

and MT put him with Chucky

??

Rolled the dice on some cheap gambles this summer.

The idea was that there were no surefire scorers, no blue chip guys available this summer, and we needed two wingers. Bergevin likely thought that between Kassian, Semin, Holloway, and Fleischmann, we'd find two top 9 wingers

In Fleischmann he got one.

In Kassian, the gamble looks bad right now cause he's in rehab, but he likely gets another shot.
Semin looks like he can't skate but Therrien says he'll get another shot.

Holloway is the one whose really not gotten a chance for whatever reason (maybe he didn't look good in training camp practices), but he got 1 game (9 minutes icetime) of preseason hockey and then was sent down. He's now tearing up the AHL.

Yes I would have more faith in waiving Semin to allow Holloway (or any of handful of IceCaps forwards) to be called up, but am sure Bergevin dosent want to look bad and cut Semin loose after only 10gms.

Rolled the dice on some cheap gambles this summer.

The idea was that there were no surefire scorers, no blue chip guys available this summer, and we needed two wingers. Bergevin likely thought that between Kassian, Semin, Holloway, and Fleischmann, we'd find two top 9 wingers

In Fleischmann he got one.

In Kassian, the gamble looks bad right now cause he's in rehab, but he likely gets another shot.

Semin looks like he can't skate but Therrien says he'll get another shot.

Holloway is the one whose really not gotten a chance for whatever reason (maybe he didn't look good in training camp practices), but he got 1 game (9 minutes icetime) of preseason hockey and then was sent down. He's now tearing up the AHL.

Oh i know he rolled the dice on cheap gambles. Just adding to the comments that everybody and their brother said Semin was no gamble.....that he was a guaranteed flop. Nice of MT to put the cheap gamble with Chucky and Lars. I'm sure they appreciated it. At least he scratched him after ten.

Personally I did not expect anything from Semin, but I have to admit he was better than I thought he would be.

I heard one theory that Kassian wont get another shot?

Guest Stogey24

Flynn over Semin in the top 6 or even on the roster for that matter is ridiculous.

3pts in 14 games for Flynn, with a career best 17pts, gets munched 2 or 3 times a game, but yet somehow he's better option... These type of decisions are the reason I've never liked Therrien

I'd give Semin one more shot at the second line. Tell him he has to prove he belongs...if not waive him and call up Holloway or Hudon until Kassian is ready to go.

I still like Kassian as a player and think he would be good riding shotgun on Galchenyuk's wing. He can control the puck down low and makes good passes

Yes same as in Carolina, who couldn't score at all and paid one Russian huge bucks...but had him eating hot dogs all season instead of actually playing, then they break the bank just to rid themselves of him.

And you are correct Flynn isn't like him, Sabre coach was pissed Flynn was basically given away to Habs last year, in their McDavid push.

Guest Stogey24

I just want Semin to have 30 games. If he doesn't put his game together, let him rust in the pressbox. 9 games is not enough to gauge a player.

Flynn over Semin in the top 6 or even on the roster for that matter is ridiculous.

3pts in 14 games for Flynn, with a career best 17pts, gets munched 2 or 3 times a game, but yet somehow he's better option... These type of decisions are the reason I've never liked Therrien

Flynn hasn't been in the top 6 for a while.... DSP has been in that spot for 2 1/2 games now.

Guest Stogey24

He was in top 6 against Winnipeg.

I'm done talking about it. I Just think it's ridiculous and Therrien just making an example of Semin. 9 games and this guy is a write off apparently. Really fair shake

Therrien has not written off Semin, he said he will get back in the lineup soon, when someone has a bad night... but didn't feel any reason to change the lineup that competed hard against ottawa.... thats it.

Hickey misinterpreted this, who then took it to Wilde, who again misinterpreted it. And now twitter is freaking out.

Now let's put some thought into this, when Semin was on the ice Galchenyuk and Elller looked great. Have we heard from that line lately? NO they are useless right now. Put Semin back on that line. I know Le Genius is a defence first coach, I get it but as we proved in spades last year YOU HAVE TO HAVE OFFENCE. Semin got 9 games, REALLY?

that is absolute BS. Give him some time, show some faith, NO Le Genius made up his mind before Semin ever got here. Just when I think he (Le Genius) is smartening up he pulls shite like this. The other day he said the coaches challenge was a group decision, I thought wow that is really an improvement is how he handles things. Put Semin back in.