Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Let's say you make the move. Now Emelin is in your permanent top four on the left defence. Then Markov gets hurt. Unlike Gallagher getting hurt where you have to call up some youngsters to replace and still have quality scoring/playing options on the LW and C, you're now faced with Emelin as your LD unless you move Petry to LD. Either way you're giving valuable minutes now to Jarred Tinordi or Mark Barberio to make up for it, or have to make another trade to compensate.

If that's the actual cost, I make the move if say Tampa has fallen right out of a playoff spot, is ready to unload and I can get Brayden Coburn to replace Beaulieu, or maybe Nikita Nikitin in Edmonton, if he's just a victim of a bad Oilers team. Carl Gunnarson is another option.

So yeah, I'd take the risk for Simmonds if Bergevin had a back pocket plan to add a top four defenceman to fill the void. Heck, add Gilbert to the deal and make them send Del Zotto back. I'd do that. They can have a pick to balance it out.

It's a reasonable proposal. But I'll just jump in here to say that I'm not sure that folks fully appreciate the degree to which this team is really driven from the back end. We have one of the best, and surely one of the quickest, D-corps in hockey. Just look at the difference Petry has made. I see Beaulieu as an important part of that, both now and in the future, because he has such a good skating game - and he's also affordable. Simmonds would be a huge pickup, but I'm a bit leery about weakening us in precisely the area that sets us above everyone else. Just my two cents.

Iginla doesn't put the team over the top. Nice addition, but not something the Rangers or Tampa are going to really worry about.

Simmonds puts this team over the top, in my opinion. He's exactly the type of player this team is missing.

Rumour (or actual quote?) is that Iginla said he is not going anywhere (for family reasons) and will not waive no-trade nor go back to the east (more or less).

But he seems the type of quality winger Habs might (should?) be seeking.

Guest Stogey24

Iginla doesn't put the team over the top. Nice addition, but not something the Rangers or Tampa are going to really worry about.

Simmonds puts this team over the top, in my opinion. He's exactly the type of player this team is missing.

That's funny how adding a 30 goal scorer doesn't put this team over the top.

I think McCarron's hot start is going to make Bergevin hesitate to move him. A 2016 first round pick, on the other hand, would probably be in the conversation.

Could a late 1st-rounder be the centrepiece of a deal to get a young top-6 forward? I figure they'd want a good young player on top of that.

Could a late 1st-rounder be the centrepiece of a deal to get a young top-6 forward? I figure they'd want a good young player on top of that.

On its own? No. It's one piece of an offer and likely would need to be combined with another young asset as well as some salary going the other way as well.

On its own? No. It's one piece of an offer and likely would need to be combined with another young asset as well as some salary going the other way as well.

I mean the centrepiece as in the most valuable piece. McCarron at this point is worth more than the Habs' 2016 1st-rounder.

I mean the centrepiece as in the most valuable piece. McCarron at this point is worth more than the Habs' 2016 1st-rounder.

It could be the most valuable piece, depending on who it is they go after. If it's someone who is signed or under team control for a few more years (such as the young top six forward in your scenario), they may not get away with the 2016 1st being the best asset going back. If it's more of a short-term acquisition, then yeah, the 1st rounder would probably be the centrepiece.

I'm with CC 100% here. Markov can't play forever (let alone a full season/playoffs) Trading NB would not be a move I'd support. Our D is among the best in the NHL, and quite possibly the main reason for our success...now why would we trade a #2 LD? Soon as Markov slips, NB will become the #1 LD..We can't risk that for Simmonds. And to throw in Andrighetto to sweeten the deal is just absurd. We finally have a winger that can play with AG/LE on 2nd line and we're going to trade him too? Give your heads a shake if you're in favor of this deal. Trade deadline is not too far off, I'm sure MB will work something out where someone loans us a pending ufa sniper for a prospect and pick.

It could be the most valuable piece, depending on who it is they go after. If it's someone who is signed or under team control for a few more years (such as the young top six forward in your scenario), they may not get away with the 2016 1st being the best asset going back. If it's more of a short-term acquisition, then yeah, the 1st rounder would probably be the centrepiece.

We were talking about B. Schenn as a possible trade target, and I was wondering who the Habs would be willing to send back that Philly would want. The Habs' 1st-rounder doesn't seem like an adequate centrepiece.

I'm with CC 100% here. Markov can't play forever (let alone a full season/playoffs) Trading NB would not be a move I'd support. Our D is among the best in the NHL, and quite possibly the main reason for our success...now why would we trade a #2 LD? Soon as Markov slips, NB will become the #1 LD..We can't risk that for Simmonds. And to throw in Andrighetto to sweeten the deal is just absurd. We finally have a winger that can play with AG/LE on 2nd line and we're going to trade him too? Give your heads a shake if you're in favor of this deal. Trade deadline is not too far off, I'm sure MB will work something out where someone loans us a pending ufa sniper for a prospect and pick.

You don't need to worry about it. It was speculation by one blog and then cited by another blog as a rumour. Look at it from the other perspective, Philly has one of the best prospect blueline corps in the NHL. I don't think they'd want a D as a centrepiece for Simmonds either.

We were talking about B. Schenn as a possible trade target, and I was wondering who the Habs would be willing to send back that Philly would want. The Habs' 1st-rounder doesn't seem like an adequate centrepiece.

For Schenn specifically, I think the 1st would have to be the best asset for the Habs to want to make the deal. The second part could be similarly valued (or only slightly lower) but Schenn's not a top line player and thus shouldn't have that 'premium' piece involved. The Flyers can ask for it but I don't think they'd get it.

Dreger was saying Habs might be interested in Andersen from ducks

Andersen makes no sense as he'll be around well past this year and would be too pricey for a long-term #2. Khudobin, who was also mentioned, is a pending UFA and makes more sense as a short-term option.

Andersen makes no sense as he'll be around well past this year and would be too pricey for a long-term #2. Khudobin, who was also mentioned, is a pending UFA and makes more sense as a short-term option.

If the Habs actually have interest in Anderson I would be shocked. They have no need.

I think we should go ahead with Condon, and start believing that our D core will make up for any of his difficiencies. We have to think that any potential move for a "quality, interim #1goalie" will cost us something. We're going to need the cap space that we already have(along with any $ that gets freed up along the way) for that deadline move MB would surely make. Just my opinion though..

Khudobin is an odd duckling. He's a smallish goalie who had fantastic stats in Boston and his first year in Carolina only to crater. It's possible he's been dealt a bad hand and is still a good goalie or he could be a hot/cold goalie like Halak and just be as cold for us as Tokarski has been.

I wouldn't give a lot for him, but if the Ducks were offering him for like a fourth rounder, why not?

I think we should go ahead with Condon, and start believing that our D core will make up for any of his difficiencies. We have to think that any potential move for a "quality, interim #1goalie" will cost us something. We're going to need the cap space that we already have(along with any $ that gets freed up along the way) for that deadline move MB would surely make. Just my opinion though..

I like Condom, he is a good goaltender, has some learning to do but all in all he is a great back up.

Guest Stogey24

I couldn't really understand the Andersen thing. He'd be a pricey pickup among other things.