Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

What about a Plekanec for Perron swap? Which team would have to add more?

I'd like to stay away from multi-concussion players, if possible.

Personally, I think Pleks adds a lot of value beyond the stat-sheet. Like I said before - a quintessential all-around glue guy, useful in any situation, and durable to boot. Leave him alone.

Habs are interested in Edler, according to Pierre Lebrun

Hmm. That'll cost us. He's a high-ceiling player prone to bouts of erratic play - including playoff sags - that have infuriated Canucks fans and drained their enthusiasm for him; but he could settle in nicely going forward as a #2 defender behind Subban. A $5 mil cap hit (plus a NTC) is pretty steep for a player who many feel will never "put it all together" as promised, so he comes with some asterisks, and much will hinge on the return.

Hmm. That'll cost us. He's a high-ceiling player prone to bouts of erratic play - including playoff sags - that have infuriated Canucks fans and drained their enthusiasm for him; but he could settle in nicely going forward as a #2 defender behind Subban. A $5 mil cap hit (plus a NTC) is pretty steep for a player who many feel will never "put it all together" as promised, so he comes with some asterisks, and much will hinge on the return.

after his chop on staal in the worlds i wouldn't want him.

after his chop on staal in the worlds i wouldn't want him.

Really? Given that this league systematically rewards vicious attempts to injure, I have no problem with having some Habs who will mete it out as well as take it. The real issue is that the "chop" was of a piece with Edler's general profile of being weirdly erratic. You just don't know what he's going to bring to the table week after week.

That said, he just turned 27 and has 6 years of experience - he's right at the stage where he should be putting it all together as a fully mature NHL defenceman. Perhaps this could be a chance for us to do what Dallas did with Ribeiro, i.e., pick up a "hard-to-figure" player just as he settles down and starts really being a pro.

Perhaps this could be a chance for us to do what Dallas did with Ribeiro, i.e., pick up a "hard-to-figure" player just as he settles down and starts really being a pro.

Funny enough this is the description I hear of Martin Reway. He was a head case problem but cleaned up his act before the draft.

Vancouver is rumoured to be told by their owners that they will not accept any buyouts. Meaning if they don't find a home for Ballard fast guys who have some value like Edler are going to be moved. It's just they can't move Edler to wherever they want now. Only Detroit tabled an official offer for Edler and they pulled it once midnight came. Teams know Gillis' situation now better than ever and are purposely being ornery with him. That's what happens when you lose control of your hockey club.

That's what happens when you lose control of your hockey club.

This made me laugh. Perhaps Vancouver should get rid of Gillis before Edler? Why leave the fate of your hockey team with someone 'who's lost control of it'?

Personally, I would not pay a king's ransom for Edler. Maybe a prospect + pick, that's about it.

This made me laugh. Perhaps Vancouver should get rid of Gillis before Edler? Why leave the fate of your hockey team with someone 'who's lost control of it'?

Personally, I would not pay a king's ransom for Edler. Maybe a prospect + pick, that's about it.

Gillis won't be there next season, I'd consider putting money on that. He fired Vigneault to take the heat off of him and this whole Luongo thing looks like his masterplan to try to claim all teams problems were totally AV and not him. "Hey, it wasn't me who picked Schneider over Luongo it was Alain!"

Vancouver just put Keith Ballard on conditional waivers. Which means you take his whole salary and isn't a buyout. Ballard was totally mishandled in Vancouver to almost embarrassing extents. He is still a decent blueliner and Vigneault was using him as a forward or scratching him. He's much better than last year shows but is he $4M better? Doubtful. I think whatever team picks him up it'll be like when we signed Spacek off the free market. You're taking a good defenceman who once upon a time had offensive skills.

I like Vigneault, but his treatment of Ballard was kinda strange (as was, arguably, his denial of major minutes to the Sedins, who were always kept at around 18 minutes per game, I believe). The Ballard situation always looked to me like a case of the GM acquiring a player the coach doesn't like, and the coach responding by benching the guy - a classic GM vs. coach battle. Indeed, I'd thought the Habs might look at Ballard after he was bought out, but with the Aquilinis going turning into Cheap Charlies that doesn't seem to be in the cards, and $4 mil is too high for a player who seems to have slid down the depth-chart into a bottom-pairing defender.

The thing about Gillis is that it's well known he has mixed feelings about being GM at all. So it should come as no surprise if he quits of his own accord after a decent interval.

This report concerns me greatly:

Montreal is a strong contender to land Dupuis if he leaves the Penguins. Coach Michel Therrien is a fan of Dupuis dating to their days together with the Penguins.

The Canadiens have Dupuis high on their list of free-agent targets. Dupuis is French Canadian.

I don't dislike Dupuis, but I don't think his salary expectations are going to be reasonable. He had two strong years with Pittsburgh when he played at near 60 point paces with Crosby or Malkin. That level of play is how he's going to want to be paid but it should be noted that before that stretch, he was a ~35 point player. On a new team, I'd expect his production to come closer to that than what he did with the Penguins. Plus, Allan Walsh is his agent and I'd just rather they stayed away from his clients if possible.

http://triblive.com/mobile/4280155-96/dupuis-penguins-cooke

I always hate it when coaches cajole a team into going after their pet player(s). The most pathetic example might be Jacques Demers getting Serge Savard to pick up Yves Racine off waivers. Totally useless waste of a roster space.

Dupuis is a useful player, though, so let's see how this plays out.

Guest Stogey24

I would be very careful about signing Dupuis. Like you guys have mentioned; it's very easy to net a puck playing around franchise players.

I always hate it when coaches cajole a team into going after their pet player(s). The most pathetic example might be Jacques Demers getting Serge Savard to pick up Yves Racine off waivers. Totally useless waste of a roster space.

Well, if this is the most pathetic example one can bring up, I guess it's fair just not to hate it that much ...

Well, if this is the most pathetic example one can bring up, I guess it's fair just not to hate it that much ...

:lol: Well, just an example...

I don't get the idea that Dupuis would be a disaster, unless the contract is egregious. A versatile bottom-6er who can play in the top-6 in a pinch and who seems to be aging well. Could prove a good acquisition - IF, again, the deal makes sense.

:lol: Well, just an example...

I don't get the idea that Dupuis would be a disaster, unless the contract is egregious. A versatile bottom-6er who can play in the top-6 in a pinch and who seems to be aging well. Could prove a good acquisition - IF, again, the deal makes sense.

That's the biggest worry for me. Dupuis is a decent player but I fear he'll command a contract of an above average forward. At a reasonable rate he'd be worth signing (although as I noted before, any Allan Walsh client concerns me) but if he's willing to sign for a reasonable rate, he'll be staying in Pittsburgh.