Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24

5mill? That's insane. He's making like 500000 this year. The guy has never broken the 50pt mark. Probably resign there for 2.5 or 3 tops.

Prust got $2.5m or more from the habs. Bickell will easily get more than that.

5mill? That's insane. He's making like 500000 this year. The guy has never broken the 50pt mark. Probably resign there for 2.5 or 3 tops.

I know he's had a great playoff run, but does anyone think Bickell is really top 6 material? Top 9 for sure, but I wouldn't want to pay Top 6 money for someone who has never scored 20 goals in a year.

I don't think he's someone you ideally want in your top six on a regular basis. If he can show that this playoff run isn't a mirage, he's a guy to play on a 3rd line that could move up in certain situations. How much is that worth? $3M would probably be my limit as I'm not sold that he's not just having a hot streak at the right time. Someone probably will go higher than that though.

Guest Stogey24

How could you commit more than 3mill into a hot streak. He's not worth it. He's a solid grinder but no more than that. We'll have to see I guess

I don't think he's someone you ideally want in your top six on a regular basis. If he can show that this playoff run isn't a mirage, he's a guy to play on a 3rd line that could move up in certain situations. How much is that worth? $3M would probably be my limit as I'm not sold that he's not just having a hot streak at the right time. Someone probably will go higher than that though.

Yeh, I'd be ok with the $3M range, but like others have said, someone will go higher.

Yeah, we can't be paying to many guys 2.5 million plus to be playing on our third line.

One thing I see a lot to justify overpayment is that 'the cap will go up'. Surely it will, but with the new CBA is should go up a lot slower. I wonder how many seasons it will take to get back to 70 million.

Bickell is a big game player just coming into his own. He's the right age for a power forward to blossom and Montreal is not the only team that's going to try to get him. You gotta pay to have him play. Bickell looks honestly ready to be a top six forward and I'd definitely prefer his youth and strength over Bourque in the top six. What you really have to figure is if he's just riding a hot streak or if this is his career coming together. He's also a natural left winger and that's a spot we could use. If we sign him, we're gonna use him like Chicago has been and play him in our top six. In a perfect world:

Bickell - Plekanec - Gionta

Pacioretty - Eller - Gallagher

Prust - Galchenyuk - Bourque

Would be our top nine. Size, speed, skill and character on every line.

One thing I see a lot to justify overpayment is that 'the cap will go up'. Surely it will, but with the new CBA is should go up a lot slower. I wonder how many seasons it will take to get back to 70 million.

It's going to go up quickly unless the momentum from this season really tanks (or the economists' predictions of a 90¢ Canadian dollar prove to be true). Since the NHLPA still has the 5% annual escalator, it should go up reasonably quick. Some of the conservative estimates have the cap in the 80's by the end of the CBA, another has the floor being in the high 60's and the ceiling in the 90's.

It's going to go up quickly unless the momentum from this season really tanks (or the economists' predictions of a 90¢ Canadian dollar prove to be true). Since the NHLPA still has the 5% annual escalator, it should go up reasonably quick. Some of the conservative estimates have the cap in the 80's by the end of the CBA, another has the floor being in the high 60's and the ceiling in the 90's.

:rolleyes: And I can't wait to hear all the owners crying poverty when it comes time to renegotiate.

As I said all along, all the fan outrage and threats - "I'm never coming back," blah blah blah - was nothing but a bunch of hot air. From a business point of view, the owners have twice been proven right that locking players out has absolutely ZERO business repercussions, which should guarantee a lockout when this deal expires. Thank goodness it was a long-term deal.

If Bickell gets 5 million that team is nuts... I can't see any possible way he gets that. Even if he gets the Joel Ward contract as Machine says, thats 4years at 12 million. At 3 million per, I could live with that. I wouldn't do more though.

I would like to suggest that other factors should come in to play. Given that the 64M was an arbitrary setting, that we are already beyond what was predicted ( Gary Bettman on PTS), that the Phoenix situation should be resolved, and there are the Quebec City's of the world waiting patiently to get in, i can't believe it will be long before we get back to 70M.

Wouldn't the 50-50 split in revenue sharing slow down the cap's rise compared with previous seasons?

Yep, it should. But that escalator that the PA has will ensure continual growth unless revenues decline. Let's suppose the revenues get to and stay flat at the level that would yield a $64.3M cap as next seasons will be. That means the subsequent payroll ceilings (1.05 x previous year cap) would be:

14-15: $67.5M

15-16: $70.9M

16-17: $74.4M

17-18: $78.2M

18-19: $82.1M (the opt-out option is after this season)

Granted, this is overly simplistic (the real calculation is a lot more complex and the league isn't going to make the same money for five years in a row) but it goes to show you the impact that the PA's escalator could have on its own with a flat stream of annual revenue. If revenues go up on top of that, the cap is going to go well beyond what we saw this year pretty quickly.

Now, at a 50/50 split, it may take a bit of time to get to the revenue number that would yield a $64.3M cap. In that case, the growth obviously wouldn't be as rapid.

Guest Stogey24

If Montreal can get a look from Doug Murray I think they should pursue him. He could be that net clearing d-man we've needed for quite sometime. We won't see too many points out of him, but at a possible 2.5mil a year, he won't hurt as too badly.

If Montreal can get a look from Doug Murray I think they should pursue him. He could be that net clearing d-man we've needed for quite sometime. We won't see too many points out of him, but at a possible 2.5mil a year, he won't hurt as too badly.

Too slow for Pittsburgh, way too slow for Montreal.

It's going to cost more than that to get him, despite how slow he is. He has made $2.5 M per year for the last four seasons, in a market with few good defencemen and the extra attention being paid to size, he's looking at getting $3.5 M per year at the very least, probably more.

Guest Stogey24

Yeah, I'm sure he will get a raise. After seeing what he did in pitty, he is not deserving of one. Your probably correct though.

The logic is pretty straightforward...if you're signing a UFA, you will almost always overpay. The exception seems to be lower-line and bottom-pairing defencemen, who seem generally to be sign-able at decent rates. But the minute you identify a 'name' player you're paying through the nose. One thing is certain: if you're one of these 'cap hawks' who is always bitching about fat contracts, you cannot simultaneously be fantasizing about potential UFAs. The two inclinations are contradictory.

The logic is pretty straightforward...if you're signing a UFA, you will almost always overpay. The exception seems to be lower-line and bottom-pairing defencemen, who seem generally to be sign-able at decent rates. But the minute you identify a 'name' player you're paying through the nose. One thing is certain: if you're one of these 'cap hawks' who is always bitching about fat contracts, you cannot simultaneously be fantasizing about potential UFAs. The two inclinations are contradictory.

That's why I stay away from pondering the top UFA's too much. My annual 'wish list' usually consists of the lower line guys you mention, the ones that come at a reasonable rate. Get enough of those guys and a bigger name free agent becomes a viable option but the Habs aren't there cap wise, at least not this year.

For those who like to speculate...

Knight adds that Danny Kristo his UND teammate could surprise next Sunday in Newark. #2013NHLDraft

First off, Knight refers to Corban Knight, Kristo's UND linemate who was just traded to Calgary yesterday. The tweet comes from Roger Millions, Sportsnet's Calgary reporter.

https://twitter.com/RogMillions/status/347083473732894720

Its impossible to know what that means..... Kristo is under contract to montreal. How is he gonna "surprise" at the draft.

If I had to guess, I'd glean from the comment that he has reason to believe there have been talks between Calgary and Montreal regarding Kristo, potentially in a draft-day trade. How he'd have that information though (unless they have the same agent who likes to report on rumours to his clients) is a mystery. Was it something Feaster communicated to him to convince him to sign with Calgary? I don't know, it seems so random and doesn't seem like something that would be made up on the spot although it's certainly open to interpretation.