Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Just watching the hockey central trade show, according to Lawton, Gainey offered a package that included Subban, Price and maxpac for Lecavalier. That's even worse than what I heard before!!!

Thank god Tampa's ownership were idiots!! That trade would have been worse then the idiotic Gomez trade and would rank right up there with Milbury's worst trades.

Lawton's also claiming to have rejected Claude Giroux for Paul Ranger so I'm thinking there may be a bit of exaggeration going on. Yes, we all know the Habs had an overpayment offer for Lecavalier but I'd be shocked if it was quite that much. Or, there were other players coming back with Lecavalier that Lawton neglected to mention.

Just watching the hockey central trade show, according to Lawton, Gainey offered a package that included Subban, Price and maxpac for Lecavalier. That's even worse than what I heard before!!!

Thank god Tampa's ownership were idiots!! That trade would have been worse then the idiotic Gomez trade and would rank right up there with Milbury's worst trades.

Spector claiming it was Price + Subban + Patches + 1st for Lecavalier. Not Lecavalier in his prime, the declining one. Gainey really did like his declining players.

There was a considerable amount of pressure on Gainey to make that deal. Gainey of course would never choose to trade Price. There were a lot of examples of people in Montreal pushing Gainey's hand. See Mike Ribeiro.

But the GM's job is to resist public pressure. That's general managing 101. Now, if the pressure was coming from ownership, that's another story.

Anyway, I prefer to evaluate people on what they actually do than what they might have done if circumstances had allowed, so personally I won't count this among Bob's black marks. His judgement does seem to have slipped in his last couple of seasons with us, though; and you wonder whether his heart and head were really in it after the personal tragedy he had to suffer.

But the GM's job is to resist public pressure. That's general managing 101. Now, if the pressure was coming from ownership, that's another story.

Anyway, I prefer to evaluate people on what they actually do than what they might have done if circumstances had allowed, so personally I won't count this among Bob's black marks. His judgement does seem to have slipped in his last couple of seasons with us, though; and you wonder whether his heart and head were really in it after the personal tragedy he had to suffer.

Montreal is an odd team that doesn't run like other teams. The rumour is that Ribeiro got caught with Beliveau's grand-daughter so they traded him without thought on it. I don't think that choice came from Molson but the pressure comes from people in the organization who preach things like "the integrity of the team" when making a completely irrational decision.

It seems like after 2009-2010 these pressures have disappeared. Or maybe they are just too old to give their ridiculous viewpoints on integrity.

Montreal is an odd team that doesn't run like other teams. The rumour is that Ribeiro got caught with Beliveau's grand-daughter so they traded him without thought on it. I don't think that choice came from Molson but the pressure comes from people in the organization who preach things like "the integrity of the team" when making a completely irrational decision.

It seems like after 2009-2010 these pressures have disappeared. Or maybe they are just too old to give their ridiculous viewpoints on integrity.

If we're talking about the same girl who used to work at Longueuil's Golf Club, then I'm with Ribeiro on this one !!!!

So Lawton.

Did a bit of research on this because something wasn't sitting right with me on this report.

Basically, Lawton is a liar.

What originally happened and what was originally reported is that Lawton came to Gainey about interest in trading Vincent Lecavalier. Lawton asked for some names he'd agree to for Montreal to acquire Lecavalier. The names were Tomas Plekanec, Josh Gorges and Chris Higgins. Lawton said that was a good deal and he'd consider it. Lawton then went to other teams in the NHL and said, "Montreal would trade Plekanec/Gorges/Higgins for Lecavalier. Can you beat that?" and because he did and other GMs talked, the news broke out that those three were being offered for Vinny. Gainey did a press conference after the season in 2009 saying he felt bad for the three for being involved in trade talks and their names should have never been mentioned.

At the Draft, there was an offer turned down by the NHL for Lecavalier to goto Montreal because the co-ownership disagreed on trading Vincent Lecavalier. That deal was never officially supported from what I recall but that's where the Price/Subban/Pacioretty/1st stuff is supposed to come from. However, from my research it was still Plekanec/Gorges/Higgins with a first round pick.

So don't believe the hype (unless someone can find a better source than I did)

So Lawton.

Did a bit of research on this because something wasn't sitting right with me on this report.

What originally happened and what was originally reported is that Lawton came to Gainey about interest in trading Vincent Lecavalier. Lawton asked for some names he'd agree to for Montreal to acquire Lecavalier. The names were Tomas Plekanec, Josh Gorges and Chris Higgins. Lawton said that was a good deal and he'd consider it. Lawton then went to other teams in the NHL and said, "Montreal would trade Plekanec/Gorges/Higgins for Lecavalier. Can you beat that?" and because he did and other GMs talked, the news broke out that those three were being offered for Vinny. Gainey did a press conference after the season in 2009 saying he felt bad for the three for being involved in trade talks and their names should have never been mentioned.

At the Draft, there was an offer turned down by the NHL for Lecavalier to goto Montreal because the co-ownership disagreed on trading Vincent Lecavalier. That deal was never officially supported from what I recall but that's where the Price/Subban/Pacioretty/1st stuff is supposed to come from. However, from my research it was still Plekanec/Gorges/Higgins with a first round pick.

So Lawton.

Nicely done.

• 1 month later...

There are rumblings Mayer may be exercising his opt-out of the HC Biel deal to stay in North America. Apparently the Habs have already made him an offer for next season. What is it that the organization sees in him that no one else does...

http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/33535

maybe the call up inspired him :/

For anyone wondering about the success rates for Eklund and HockeyyInsiderr, the two main rumour inventors out there, a study was done. Here are the results: http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/04/rumor_rater_how_accurate_are_n.html

Im banned from Hockebuzz until 2027. How very ambitious of them! lmao

Im banned from Hockebuzz until 2027. How very ambitious of them! lmao

that's hilarious. The problem with EK is that he has a built in excuse, slow day? start a rumour somebody questions his sanity? "hey I was just reporting what I heard" immaterial of the fact he heard it from the guy looking at him from the mirror in his bathroom.

• 2 weeks later...

fixed.

Are you kidding me?

He seriously is top 20 I would say.

Guess it depends how long you extend "his generation" ...

And then how you define "best players"...

http://www.tsn.ca/story/archive/?id=nhl#

Check out the video on Briere on TSN.

About Danny only behind Zetterberg in points in playoffs since 2 lock outs ago.

Small rumour that might explain the hiring of Shane Churla yesterday. It appears Ryan Jankowski, one of the scouts higher up on the Habs' totem pole, is a candidate to become Hockey Canada's head scout (replacing Kevin Prendergast).

Small rumour that might explain the hiring of Shane Churla yesterday. It appears Ryan Jankowski, one of the scouts higher up on the Habs' totem pole, is a candidate to become Hockey Canada's head scout (replacing Kevin Prendergast).

ahh and the mystery is solved. Just a replacing a guy who is leaving.

Jankowski would be a loss, he's done good things out west since being hired... Gallagher, Dietz, Thrower, MacMillan, are guys we've taken from out west.

Fun fact about Gallagher is that the Boston Bruins had the inside track on him from... Milan Lucic. Lucic was a big supporter and told the Bruins organization to scout him in order to draft him. Boston did scout the Vancouver Giants quite a bit in 2010 and drafted Gallagher's linemate Craig Cunningham in the fourth round. Once their pick came up to take him in the fifth round, I guess they thought he'd fall to the sixth round and drafted Justin Florek instead. Montreal then took Gallagher. In the sixth round, Boston took goaltender Zane Gothberg which had "panic pick" written all over it.

Fun fact about Gallagher is that the Boston Bruins had the inside track on him from... Milan Lucic. Lucic was a big supporter and told the Bruins organization to scout him in order to draft him. Boston did scout the Vancouver Giants quite a bit in 2010 and drafted Gallagher's linemate Craig Cunningham in the fourth round. Once their pick came up to take him in the fifth round, I guess they thought he'd fall to the sixth round and drafted Justin Florek instead. Montreal then took Gallagher. In the sixth round, Boston took goaltender Zane Gothberg which had "panic pick" written all over it.

That's the Bruins for you, always drafting/acquiring small platyers. Kreijic, Marchand, Chris Bourque, Ference...now this. When will they ever learn.

The best part of offseason rumours? The out-of-nowhere names that get linked to the Habs. Montreal is apparently one of four teams interested in goalie Bernhard Starkbaum and forward Michael Raffl, both Austrians.

http://sport.orf.at/stories/2184530/

I see Montreal is scouting outside Switzerland for older players :P

Whatever it takes and from wherever as long as they can help the team. Should not be limited to North America, Sweeden, Finland or Russia. Switzerland's showing this year at the World Championship games is evidence of quality players are available in unexpected places.