Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

With the fire sale on in Calgary any chance we can bring back Cammy? He is such a sniper and playoff performer!

Play him with Desharnais and Gionta!

And Bouillon on defense with Gallagher why not

Are you kidding me?

He seriously is top 20 I would say.

Guess it depends how long you extend "his generation" ...

And then how you define "best players"...

i was thinking more on the lines of curtis glencross, he is not a very flashy player but might fit in very well with our top 9. He has 21 points in 28 games this year and seems to average about 40 + points over the previous 4 years (40,33,43,48). He has a cap hit of 2.55 million for the next 2 seasons, not sure if calgary is willing to deal a guy like him but he would help give us a more balanced attack. What do you think it would take to get him? would it make sense to get jackman also as a 13th forward and to fill in on the 4th line for a few of the more physical games down the stretch?

With the fire sale on in Calgary any chance we can bring back Cammy? He is such a sniper and playoff performer!

we need an impact player. read sniper. if we had a true goal scorer oh i dont know maybe jagr. This is a team that would scare more people. We need another scorer, we can keep em out but putting them in is a problem, iregardless of last night.

we need an impact player. read sniper. if we had a true goal scorer oh i dont know maybe jagr. This is a team that would scare more people. We need another scorer, we can keep em out but putting them in is a problem, iregardless of last night.

We need a defenceman, far more than a forward right now.

our defence core is pretty solid if diaz comes back. However if we can't put the puck in the net what difference does it make if we keep em out we still lose. Our prospect pool of defenceman looks good, I don't see too many scorers cause they are all here. :habslogo:

We need a defenceman for our zone *and* for the PP2.

If the team has no confidence in Kaberle (I'd use him as a 7th D-man just for the PP2) then they need to find someone who can ensure Gorges or Cube stay off of the PP. Emelin is not good enough either. When Diaz comes back, this defenceman becomes the 7th.

We need a defenceman for our zone *and* for the PP2.

If the team has no confidence in Kaberle (I'd use him as a 7th D-man just for the PP2) then they need to find someone who can ensure Gorges or Cube stay off of the PP. Emelin is not good enough either. When Diaz comes back, this defenceman becomes the 7th.

I hundred percent agree. However, I'd argue that this dman should be our #4 or #5 dman. If anything, I see the cube being the #7. I think our need is greater then just a stop gap. I know we have Tinordi, Bielieau and others in the wings, but I don't think we should assume that either will be ready to take on more reponsibility even next year. If we can pick up a more solid #4-#5 this year and if that person can even bump gorges/emelin down the depth chart, I see nothing wrong with that. You can never have enough high quality defencemen.

ideal situation is to pick up an impending UFA or someone with no more then another year on their contract. Not sure what Boyle's contract status is in SJS (probably makes too much money - don't know if he had a front loaded deal or not), or Zidlicky in NJD (one ore year left??). Note sure how much either make, and it maybe above the $3m to $3.5M range i'd target (Boyle is probably above that even if he did have a frotn loaded deal), but those are the kind of Dman i'd want to pick up.

I just don;t want a MAB or a Schneider type pickup, nor do I want a hamerlik type of guy either (i.e. one dimensional, injury prone, or on their last legs). If tampa's out, maybe Salo or Carle are options. Salso is kind of close to being on his last legs, but he's a guy that can play well on both ends of the ice and can still bbe effective for this eyar (not sure if its an expiring contract though).

Anyway, NJD got Zidlicky for a song last year (while we went after over-priced garbage like Kaberle), maybe we can do the same with a guy like Carle.

I honestly have been pretty pissed at watching the cube this past week. He has looked panicky with the puck - not what you want from a vetern dman, so the ideal situation would be that he is our #7dman..

We need a bigger net presenace sniper, but I agree that a net clearing, puck moving dman is more of the priority.

Can we seriously stop talking about Montreal's lack of scoring? Just because we have a couple of tough games doesn't mean we can't score goals! Montreal is 5th in the league in goals per game, 5th in shots per game, and despite all the "issues" still 10th on the PP.

Montreal needs experience - and not injected experience, but that which is gained by playing a year or two more in the NHL. We're young! We don't actually have glaring holes in the lineup - coincidentally why we're fighting for the top of the conference and not trying to make the playoffs. What do we need, another quality defender would be great, but it's not a massive priority. A big top-six winger would be wonderful to replace Ryder next season, but that's getting ahead of ourselves. Let's exercise that whole patience thing and look at bolstering with heavy-hitters in the off-season. For now, if we want to challenge a little more, the only thing we really need is perhaps a little more playoff experience and someone with a little more grit who can play in the bottom-nine where needed. Clowe works, but not at half the price being asked (which, I assume, has plummeted after Iggy - 10 times the player Clowe is - went for a song and a dance).

As for Yandle, he's less likely to move if Phoenix relocates, because new owners are going to want cornerstones on which to build. He's one.

Ok I am looking short term not long term. A sniper right now will get us further into the playoffs. We need another defenceman long term but that is a situation we will look at in the summer. the odds of getting a top notch defenceman right now? not good. But a guy like jagr or similar who can be gotten cheap for the balance of this year is attainable. We have won several games this year by the skin of our teeth, games that we should have put away in the first period. We could just as easily have 6 or 7 more losses than we have. It seems to me we are always running into a "hot " goaltender. Is he really hot or is it we can't seal the deal. We are scoring by committee right now and that is great, but at times you need that guy who has the knack to will the puck into the net. Where is Guy Lafluer when we need him, (just kidding) :habslogo:

Yes, we're 5th in scoring. But scoring is spread out. If we need a goal to stay alive in the next 2 minutes, who do we send on the ice? MT has to play russian roullette with his lines.

• Upvote 1

Yes, we're 5th in scoring. But scoring is spread out. If we need a goal to stay alive in the next 2 minutes, who do we send on the ice? MT has to play russian roullette with his lines.

(my emphasis)

That's a dream most coaches can't even contemplate, and here we have it and we're trying to find holes in it. One guy can be marked out - remember Ovechkin nullified by Markov?

• Upvote 1

Montreal is trying out Beaulieu now. Could be very interesting. He logs an ungodly amount of minutes in the AHL. I have a good feeling about him. If he doesn't work out, the trade deadline is right there.

Any chance this is to showcase him for a possible trade?

Could something big go down? With the Habs playing well and being in 1st.. does it eliminate the possibility of a major trade? Like Beaulieu, Pacioretty + for Kane and Oduya. (Not saying I would make that trade or that it is rumored...) just wondering if the Habs position stops MB from doing something major...

Could something big go down? With the Habs playing well and being in 1st.. does it eliminate the possibility of a major trade? Like Beaulieu, Pacioretty + for Kane and Oduya. (Not saying I would make that trade or that it is rumored...) just wondering if the Habs position stops MB from doing something major...

I'd love to get Kane. But there is no way I'd trade MaxPac for him - particularly with the contract extention that MaxPac signed last summer. IMO that will turn out to be one of the biggest bargains in the league. I also would like a look at Beaulieu NEXT year before even considering trading him.

Good defensemen are hard to come by. We already made a mistake on McDonough, I don't want to make the same mistake again with another blue chip prospect.

I'd say extremely doubtful.

These are not trade showcases but pro showcases. The Canadiens want to see how close they are to the NHL. Summer of 2014, Montreal has several UFAs on defence: Markov, Kaberle (if not bought out this summer), Emelin, Bouillon, Diaz and Subban on RFA. If Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu are ready by then the team won't have to sign anyone and might hold leverage on guys like Diaz and Markov to ensure they take a more acceptable contract to stay in Montreal.

Bergevin likes to develop internally. We can already tell that. He's going to likely keep Nathan and Jarred until it's clear they have no spot on the team. Pacioretty took less money for more years because he loves the city. You won't see guys like that go.

It's more likely for a big trade by Bergevin to be done during the summer, not during the season. And you won't see 19 and 20 year old rookies involved.

I couldn't agree more. Once Bourque comes back, we'll have a full line-up. It still wouldn't hurt to add a veteran bottom six forward but I think the pending need is defence, especially for the powerplay.

I've been advocating for Streit but rumour has it he's close to a 3-year extension with the Isles. Oh well.