Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Ah, turning to smaller and more obscure European countries for gems. What's next, Latvia? Lichtenstein?

Flyers and Predators were interested in him first. He's expected to spend time in the AHL before he goes anywhere else. He's pretty feisty according to most claims. Could be like a Leo Komarov potentially.

Or you know, we could always just draft big bodied busts from Canada. That's good too. All aboard the Matt Higgins/Jason Ward train?

Ah, turning to smaller and more obscure European countries for gems. What's next, Latvia? Lichtenstein?

If a player can help the team, it shouldn't matter where they're from. Heck, if the Habs think someone from the Jamaican national team (yes, this does exist as of 2012) can help, bring them in. The goalie report is a tad perplexing though, I can't see him supplanting Budaj and I doubt he'd walk away from starter money in the SEL to play in the minors.

If a player can help the team, it shouldn't matter where they're from. Heck, if the Habs think someone from the Jamaican national team (yes, this does exist as of 2012) can help, bring them in. The goalie report is a tad perplexing though, I can't see him supplanting Budaj and I doubt he'd walk away from starter money in the SEL to play in the minors.

Can the Disney movie be far behind? The Mighty Bongs of Kingston! A hit for sure.

More on the Robert Mayer fiasco - he still is in contact with Biel of the NLA but according to this article (and a really bad Google translation), he is or could be (it's really hard to interpret the translation) seeking a one-way contract from Montreal. Biel expects this to be sorted out by next week.

This is the translated quote I'm referring to:

There are two models now, so Villard. "One is on whether it will come into play during the season in the AHL and / or the NHL and thus refers to its different salary." This contract will be worked out as the second model with a fixed amount. »Mayer wants to NHL dream live on, for he had fought. Now get the chance, and it needs a solution.

My interpretation of that is that the NHL salary is the 'second model' although I'd think he'd be crazy to ask for a big money contract.

http://www.bielertagblatt.ch/sport/ehc-biel/news/robert-mayer-zu-besuch-beim-ehc-biel

Apparently Streit just turned down 4.75 million 3 years from the islanders. Wants 6.0 for 4 years. He has lost his mind. Maybe he has pictures of a GM with a goat. btw its an over 35 contract.

Apparently Streit just turned down 4.75 million 3 years from the islanders. Wants 6.0 for 4 years. He has lost his mind. Maybe he has pictures of a GM with a goat. btw its an over 35 contract.

It all depends on how the UFA market is for defenceman. If there's one thing that general managers have demonstrated beyond all doubt, it's that if there are stupid contracts available to be signed, they will sign 'em.

fortunately( I forking hope ) not MB. I like Streight but we were right to let him go the first time.

Are you crazy? Letting Streit go was a significant mistake. He'd have made a huge difference to our defence corps (making it devastating with a healthy Markov and still giving us a legit PP QB without Markov).

Not signing Streit early in the year when he was looking for $2.5m was another dumb Gainey mistake. Letting him go at the end of the year was inevitable, considering that July 1st is when GM's turn into idiots.

Are you crazy? Letting Streit go was a significant mistake. He'd have made a huge difference to our defence corps (making it devastating with a healthy Markov and still giving us a legit PP QB without Markov).

my opinion at the time and remains the same is that he was overpriced, now when he became a ufa if I recall we had a healthy defence and were doing just fine. Markov had not been hurt, and we had no crystal ball. I like him as a defenceman but are you insinuating that we should now sign him for 4 years at 6 mill per. If you are you may want to check out the definition of crazy. It is hot here in BC today so you may want to have cool beverage and review some of those statistics we all like to throw around. His best year was his last year in Montreal. 2010-2011 he was -27 Always good to talk to you CC :D:habslogo:

Letting Streit go was a mistake in 2008. Forced us into the Schneider, MAB, Wisniewski moves, and 2 of those cost us assets to do.

Signing Streit in 2013 would be a mistake IMO.

Not what we need now

I would defend the use of a defenseman as a 13th forward. If you lose a defenseman in the course the game you don't have to play the rest of the game with 5D. I would argue that Byfuglien and Burns are success stories on that front. I would argue that both Streit and Weber have the shot compared to those two, but they are playing fourth line agitator minutes and don't have the corresponding size and physicallity. Just bad choices for that role, in my books.

my opinion at the time and remains the same is that he was overpriced, now when he became a ufa if I recall we had a healthy defence and were doing just fine. Markov had not been hurt, and we had no crystal ball. I like him as a defenceman but are you insinuating that we should now sign him for 4 years at 6 mill per. If you are you may want to check out the definition of crazy. It is hot here in BC today so you may want to have cool beverage and review some of those statistics we all like to throw around. His best year was his last year in Montreal. 2010-2011 he was -27 Always good to talk to you CC :D:habslogo:

I am in no way insinuating we should sign him now at anywhere near that rate. Indeed, we don't need a defenceman of his profile at all, except at a cut rate.

But $4.something million for a 50-point defenceman was a great signing for the Islanders. Yes, everybody thought it was outrageous at the time. Everybody was totally wrong, as Commandant's post correctly explains. We made a mistake then and no amount of obsessively standing by your original opinion will change that simple fact.

I am in no way insinuating we should sign him now at anywhere near that rate. Indeed, we don't need a defenceman of his profile at all, except at a cut rate.

But $4.something million for a 50-point defenceman was a great signing for the Islanders. Yes, everybody thought it was outrageous at the time. Everybody was totally wrong, as Commandant's post correctly explains. We made a mistake then and no amount of obsessively standing by your original opinion will change that simple fact.

I am not obsessively standing by my original opinion but I am not going to change it cause you don't like it. Based on 50 point defenceman argument then Kaberle is well worth his money. In 2011-12 Mark was -27 with 47 points in 82 games. In 2012-13 he was -14 with 27 points in 48 games. 4.75 million? How much was Markov the best player on our team at that time making? Mark wanted Markov money. I repeat his last good year was with us, after that he has fallen every year. And now he would like a raise. Me too. Btw imho Wiz was a better option than Mark. The only reason we should have kept him was if we knew Markov was going to be hurt, I didn't know that, did you? Markov getting hurt is what caused all of the scheider kaberle etc. So no I would make the same decision, he was a 3.5mill dollar defenceman. Also let's remember he left, we did not tie a can to his ass. I don't know what contract he was offered nor do I know why exactly he left. Do you? I am going to make an assumption that we did all we could to keep him and weren't able to. That is the way it goes in a salary cap world. :habslogo:

I recall at the time of Streit being UFA that many felt he had his career year and that he wouldn't sustain that pace. Although he hasn't sustained that pace, he played for the Icelanders! Really, he would have been worth the money (and the Markov injury crystal ball powers). Still, my point is that at that time, not only did we not know what would happen to Markov, but we also didn't know he would continue to be a very good offensive dman.

I recall at the time of Streit being UFA that many felt he had his career year and that he wouldn't sustain that pace. Although he hasn't sustained that pace, he played for the Icelanders! Really, he would have been worth the money (and the Markov injury crystal ball powers). Still, my point is that at that time, not only did we not know what would happen to Markov, but we also didn't know he would continue to be a very good offensive dman.

Right. We didn't know that, and we were all wrong about it, including Gainey. As for +/-, I don't think you can take the numbers from a team that is a total piece of crap and condemn individuals for having bad +/- totals, although I freely grant that Streit is no stud in the defensive zone (then again, neither is Brian Campbell, Dan Boyle or any of a number of other offensive d-men around the league). As for the notion that his numbers have 'declined ever since' 2007, that's pretty flippant; he banked seasons of 56, 49, and 47 points, all within the same basic range, and scored more goals in his first season with the Isles than he did in his last season with us. So the issue as I see it is that management and nearly the entire fanbase mis-evaluated Streit, thinking that 2007-08 was a freak season and/or that he was purely a beneficiary of that season's offensive machine rather than a significant independent contributor to it. Now it's a bit hypocritical to get in high dudgeon about Gainey making the same mistake as the rest of us, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake.

'No one knew Markov was going to get hurt' - true, but it comes down to depth. Going into 2008-09 the only serious offensive defenceman we had was Markov, making us wholly dependent on him, which is never smart team-building. So I stand by the assertion that keeping Streit (and 4.5 mil was reasonable money for what he brought the Islanders and us in 2007-08) would have been the smart thing to do in retrospect. At the time, of course, I thought the Islanders were dumb to sign him to that contract, just like everybody else.

Guest Stogey24

Streit is an excellent point producing D-man. Absolutely it was a mistake getting rid of him. He's one of the most consistent d-men in the league. Of your course his plus minus is going to be awful. The guy has been on a bottom feeder team basically his entire career. Not the guy we need right now, but if he was coming in at 4.5 mill a year; that's really something to thing about.

Sign Streit again for even 5mill and trade markov for some young talent. Streit would have no problem filling Markov's role and we would have some cap space to play with. Theoretically.

Don't kill me guys. Just throwing it out there.

So basically you guys are saying in hind sight we should have kept him. I can go with that. But that requires a whole bunch of crystal ball gazing, and we can't run a hockey team that way. I said I agreed with the decision at the time and given the same circumstances would do the same thing again. As Dolly Parton sez I never made any bad decisions, I made the best decisions I could with the information I had. Running the team by looking in the rear view mirror doesn't work. Do I think Mark is a good offensive defenceman YES. Do I think he is worth 5.5 mill over 4 years at age 35 NO. Did I think he was worth 4plus million in 2008. NO. Had I known what the future held for the team would I maybe have changed that opinion YES but I am not a fortune teller. So I don't think it was a mistake given the facts we had at the time. :habslogo:

Hey, I was saying back then that we should have kept Streit and that we should have signed him that October. Streit even said he was looking for $2.75m at that time.

The issue that caused us to lose Streit was gainey's idiotic policy of not negotiating during the season, which drove his price up as the season progressed and eventually led him to cash in big as a UFA.

Ditto with Pleks and Gorges (we signed gorges to a 1 year deal and then the ghost actually gave him a big raise 2 months into the season). Habs have a habit of not proactively locking up players at a lessor rate. Ditto with Subban this year.

So basically you guys are saying in hind sight we should have kept him. I can go with that. But that requires a whole bunch of crystal ball gazing, and we can't run a hockey team that way. I said I agreed with the decision at the time and given the same circumstances would do the same thing again. As Dolly Parton sez I never made any bad decisions, I made the best decisions I could with the information I had. Running the team by looking in the rear view mirror doesn't work. Do I think Mark is a good offensive defenceman YES. Do I think he is worth 5.5 mill over 4 years at age 35 NO. Did I think he was worth 4plus million in 2008. NO. Had I known what the future held for the team would I maybe have changed that opinion YES but I am not a fortune teller. So I don't think it was a mistake given the facts we had at the time. :habslogo:

Boy this thing has wandered all over the place. I am done caring what happened in 2008. The point of my post was he wants 5.5 over 4 years, he is 35, he just turned down 4.75 for 3. He is nuts. Maybe he was nuts in 2008. The rest is all water under the bridge. I don't care if he was Doug Harvey reincarnated, he is NOW officially nuts, however there will be a GM who will be crazy enough to give it to him, just hopefully not MB.

Boy this thing has wandered all over the place. I am done caring what happened in 2008. The point of my post was he wants 5.5 over 4 years, he is 35, he just turned down 4.75 for 3. He is nuts. Maybe he was nuts in 2008. The rest is all water under the bridge. I don't care if he was Doug Harvey reincarnated, he is NOW officially nuts, however there will be a GM who will be crazy enough to give it to him, just hopefully not MB.

If MB gives him that then we are in deep, deep trouble - afflicted with a GM who hasn't got the faintest idea what he's doing.

Streit was crazy like a fox back in 2008! Got what he wanted and was proven justified. This time around, though, we're talking cap-crushing dollars for a guy on the back nine? No thanks. But some idiot GM will indeed shill out. Just watch.

This happens all of the time. Guy leaves team after CRAZY DEMAND and then accepts a much smaller offer elsewhere because in truth he was just ensuring the team had a good reason to let him go. Sometimes players allow this to be the narrative themselves so they are highballing on the market and teams can say, "Well, we do want you but we're only willing to pay..." and then you go from there. Everyone knows that Tavares was going to become captain and if Streit stayed, he'd be receiving a new contract and then having his letter stripped. Hardly a likely scenario for any team to go through. So instead he's leaving with his head high looking to cash out. But that doesn't mean him and his agent are only going to settle for $5.5M.

If I remember correctly, Erik Cole left the Hurricanes because the story was he wanted $6M per for five years. He ended up signing with Montreal for $4.5M per.

Cole may have asked for that at first, but his decision came down to accepting 4 million over three years, or the extra year with us. He wanted to stay in Carolina but took the extra year.

When Streit signed for 20 million I thought it was the most ridiculous contract in a summer full of them, but he more than lived up to the deal. He's entitled to go after a last pay day, but gladly it won't be with us. He's the opposite of what we need to add on D.