Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24

Sorry, I can for sure see Bergevin thinking of adding St.Louis to the top six and I am not totally against it.

52 points reg season, 1 goal in 19 in playoffs

I think he would be 'an' upgrade on PAP.

Save the $ to spend more?

Not in a great position with picks, cap, valuable trade assets, but would be sweet of Bergvin can manage to free up the cash, and get a all star winger

One or two of these would likely need to find new homes first; Emelin, DD, Gilbert, Eller.

Sharp inquirers supposedly; Leafs, Caps, Isles, Pens, Panthers and not the Habs.

Emelin a possible target for Canes?

Gilbert same?

Sharp inquirers supposedly; Leafs, Caps, Isles, Pens, Panthers and not the Habs.

Emelin a possible target for Canes?

Gilbert same?

Well if we are linked to the Hurricanes, I would like a hand up on the Eric Stall bandwagon.... :halm:

Well if we are linked to the Hurricanes, I would like a hand up on the Eric Stall bandwagon.... :halm:

Eric might look darn good in a Hab jersey, but would need to way overpay for 1 year left on his contract (I think he will UFA next season?)

Eric might look darn good in a Hab jersey, but would need to way overpay for 1 year left on his contract (I think he will UFA next season?)

Correct.

It's more likely they re-sign him to a retirement deal and trade Jeff Skinner. And if they do trade Staal, he'll be a trade deadline acquisition. They will negotiate with their captain down to the wire. Will also make him easier to move.

My silly fantasy is Stamkos, Kopitar, Seabrook, Voracek, Staal, Lucic, Hudler, Giordano, O'Reilly, Campbell, Okposo, Perron, Backes, Vrbata and Ladd all declaring themselves to heading to free agency, creating the craziest trade deadline of all time and the craziest free agency of all time.

Correct.

It's more likely they re-sign him to a retirement deal and trade Jeff Skinner. And if they do trade Staal, he'll be a trade deadline acquisition. They will negotiate with their captain down to the wire. Will also make him easier to move.

My silly fantasy is Stamkos, Kopitar, Seabrook, Voracek, Staal, Lucic, Hudler, Giordano, O'Reilly, Campbell, Okposo, Perron, Backes, Vrbata and Ladd all declaring themselves to heading to free agency, creating the craziest trade deadline of all time and the craziest free agency of all time.

People like Pierre McGuire would ruin that with their shitty narratives. Imagine-one for each player.

Poor Pierre... he is always so...apoplectic (such as; when Gainey chose Price).

I always refer back to that pick as exemplifying hysteria around the draft. Media and fans often act as though they possess absolute certainty about prospects and engage in very hyperbolic reactions when the team makes a pick they disagree with. If memory serves, a LOT of people - primed by Macguire's negativity - flew off the handle when Gainey picked Price. I had anti-Habs friends teasing me over 'how could they not pick Brule!?!' as though Bob had committed the blunder of the century. Brule, that franchise player.

We should keep that in mind if and when posters fume on here about Zoot's moves on draft day. The Price pick was ridiculed in some quarters. That's all ya need to know, really.

The fact is, the draft can be kinda fun, but few of us REALLY know much about the players involved, and - more to the point - even the genuine experts can seldom say with reliability exactly how a given player will pan out. It's informed guesswork with a dash of finger-crossing. The whole thing is a curio.

• Upvote 1

Price will probably win the hart,but I still would have taken kopitar,just as I would have taken getzlaf over ak46.

Love price and his unquestionably our best player, but this team has needed a big centre since Bobby smith. I also hate picking goalies in the first half of the first round. Too many busts or average goalies (lehtonan,depietro, fleury), taken in the top 5 and goalies usually need more time to be assessed. I still remember NJ trading DOWN to pick Brodeur,while the Flames picked the #1 ranked goalie, Trevor Kidd with the NJ pick.

I always refer back to that pick as exemplifying hysteria around the draft. Media and fans often act as though they possess absolute certainty about prospects and engage in very hyperbolic reactions when the team makes a pick they disagree with. If memory serves, a LOT of people - primed by Macguire's negativity - flew off the handle when Gainey picked Price. I had anti-Habs friends teasing me over 'how could they not pick Brule!?!' as though Bob had committed the blunder of the century. Brule, that franchise player.

We should keep that in mind if and when posters fume on here about Zoot's moves on draft day. The Price pick was ridiculed in some quarters. That's all ya need to know, really.

The fact is, the draft can be kinda fun, but few of us REALLY know much about the players involved, and - more to the point - even the genuine experts can seldom say with reliability exactly how a given player will pan out. It's informed guesswork with a dash of finger-crossing. The whole thing is a curio.

Price will probably win the hart,but I still would have taken kopitar,just as I would have taken getzlaf over ak46.

Love price and his unquestionably our best player, but this team has needed a big centre since Bobby smith. I also hate picking goalies in the first half of the first round. Too many busts or average goalies (lehtonan,depietro, fleury), taken in the top 5 and goalies usually need more time to be assessed. I still remember NJ trading DOWN to pick Brodeur,while the Flames picked the #1 ranked goalie, Trevor Kidd with the NJ pick.

Valid points. All I'm saying is that there is an attitude of militant certainty around draft picks that is completely unwarranted given the myriad and inherent unknowability around the whole process. E.g., you had a reasonable critique of the Price pick. If that was expressed at the time with due regard for the uncertainties involved, then that's totally fair game. If it was expressed with fuming indignation at Bob being a TOTAL IDIOT for picking Carey Price instead of Kopitar, then it reflected the wrong mindest vis-à-vis the draft IMHO. The Price pick was manifestly not a mistake, yet there was high dudgeon in the land over the supposedly ***OBVIOUS*** folly of the pick. Such militancy is based on the pretense that a highly uncertain process somehow lends itself to self-evident truisms - which it doesn't.

• Upvote 1

Valid points. All I'm saying is that there is an attitude of militant certainty around draft picks that is completely unwarranted given the myriad and inherent unknowability around the whole process. E.g., you had a reasonable critique of the Price pick. If that was expressed at the time with due regard for the uncertainties involved, then that's totally fair game. If it was expressed with fuming indignation at Bob being a TOTAL IDIOT for picking Carey Price instead of Kopitar, then it reflected the wrong mindest vis-à-vis the draft IMHO. The Price pick was manifestly not a mistake, yet there was high dudgeon in the land over the supposedly ***OBVIOUS*** folly of the pick. Such militancy is based on the pretense that a highly uncertain process somehow lends itself to self-evident truisms - which it doesn't.

It's actually quite similar to the reaction of the Mike McCarron pick.

It's actually quite similar to the reaction of the Mike McCarron pick.

Yeah, and I think it was you who pointed out that there was a strategic logic to that pick despite its superficial oddity. And right now it's not looking as dumb as some people thought.

You gotta keep in mind that Pierre Mcguire is one of the biggest idiots in broadcasting, just slightly better than milbury,stock and healy.

Pierre is proof there's a big difference between knowledge and wisdom. McGuire knows a lot about hockey history, stats, career, etc. He knows very little about what it means and how to apply it.

I think he has a photographic memory. His ability to remember facts on demand is truly impressive.

What makes him a dolt is precisely the attitude I describe above: acting as though we're working in the realm of absolute certainties, when we're not. Too many fans emulate him in this IMHO.

I think he has a photographic memory. His ability to remember facts on demand is truly impressive.

What makes him a dolt is precisely the attitude I describe above: acting as though we're working in the realm of absolute certainties, when we're not. Too many fans emulate him in this IMHO.

I love how quick he shot his own feet when he wasn't selected as the Habs GM (he got to the final two because he's good friends with Geoff Molson). He said in an interview maybe a day or two later he wanted the Habs to trade Subban and their #3 overall pick for Edmonton's #1 pick to select Yakupov.

Our first round big center envy was solved in 1998 when we drafted a 6'2" center from Quebec who put up 41 goals and 83 points in his draft year, following it up with 109 points in 62 games for the Remparts. He was the big center we were always hoping for.

Haha, I forgot about him. Apart from our first rounder that was a really good draft class for us.