Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Versteeg is a prick who floated his way through the last year and a half in FLA, then had the nerve to tell either Harvey Filakov or George Richards that his teammates were txting him after his trade wishing they were going with him.

Classless. He's the epitome of what a friend of mine calls a JAF. "Just Another Forward."

Where ya getting the unicorn from?

Future unicorn considerations. I assume we will acquire one along along the way, they are about as easy to get as a 1st overall pick from 3 years ago.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Frolik would be an obvious choice for MB. And a good one. 27 years old, positionally versatile RW with solid size and a Cup ring who offers almost prototypical secondary scoring. Not much here to actively dislike except the guaranteed-to-be-bloated cap hit.

Joe is right that it would be better to add an elite RW than a second-tier one, but given the near-impossibility of adding that elite RW, we need to look at reality, not fantasy. Frolik would give us what PAP was supposed to give us. He'd make us better. It's only a question of contract IMHO.

Not what we need. Bring a 1st line RW Bergevin ! Please.

So I'm guessing by "1st line RW" you mean a better scorer than Gallagher.

Based on last years scoring stats for RWers (PPG), you're looking at: Patrick Kane, Jakub Voracek, Vladimir Tarasenko, Kyle Okposo, Corey Perry, Mark Stone, Radim Vrbata, Patrick Hornqvist, Nikita Kucherov, Jordan Eberle, Blake Wheeler, T.J. Oshie, Phil Kessel, Marian Hossa, Jarome Iginla, Martin St. Louis, Ryan Callahan, Bobby Ryan, Marian Gaborik, Wayne Simmons, Jason Pominville, Gustav Nyqvist, Mats Zuccarello, Jaromir Jagr and Loui Eriksson

Who do you want Bergevin to acquire?

Not what we need. Bring a 1st line RW Bergevin ! Please.

Which top line RW's are available though? Here's the list of top scoring RW's from last year: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?season=20142015&gameType=2&team=&position=R&country=&status=&viewName=summary&sort=&ord=

Of those ahead of Gallagher, only Kessel and St. Louis are known to be available and I don't think many would put St. Louis ahead of Gallagher on a depth chart. Oshie might be up for grabs too but he'll be pricey to acquire.

It's easy to pine for a top line RW and push Gallagher into a #2 role. That would be great. But the options are few and far between.

The likeliest scenario all along was that MB would look for incremental gains to supply the missing offence, rather than risk gutting the core or the future trying to go for a blockbuster deal. 'Incremental gains' mean getting more PP production, increased offensive push from young players like Beaulieu and Galchenyuk, and adding a mid-range UFA exactly like Frolik. This isn't glamorous or sexy, but (frankly) it's exactly what I would do with a team that is knocking on the door and only needs to raise its scoring a notch. Many fans want Zoot Suit to risk everything and swing for the fences on some sort of all-or-nothing gamble. I wonder if they run their own lives and careers that way? And I wonder how forgiving they'd be if the big risk failed to pan out?

• Upvote 1

I want them and believe one could be added at a good price : Hornqvist, Eberle, Wheeler, Oshie and Simmonds are the ones I'd try to grab.

Ok, why not ? : Okposo, Stone, Zuccarello

Clearly not available or too expensive : Kane, Tarasenko (barring a crazy offer sheet, which I wouldn't care at all), Voracek, Kucherov, Perry and Nyqvist.

Some that I would not really want : Gaborik (although I would not hate him at all), Ryan, Kessel, St-Louis, Vrbata, Eriksson, Jagr, Pominvile, Iginla, Callahan

As for swinging all-in in my life, Yes I do consider being ready to go all-in in my life concerning Relationship, jobs, money, etc and confident enough in myself to be able to come back from scratch in case my all in fails. So yes, I do expect the GM of my favorite Entertainment sport team to be able to de the same.

Apparently Frolik turned down 4.5 from Winnipeg.... Is he worth 5- 5.5?

It's possible he didn't want to play for the Jets and takes around $4M because he wants to play in Montreal.

That report by Lavoie makes me feel like he's trying to campaign himself. Though it could always be him stealing a trick from a fellow Czech in Jagr. "Get Montreal loving you and sign elsewhere for more"

It's possible he didn't want to play for the Jets and takes around $4M because he wants to play in Montreal.

That report by Lavoie makes me feel like he's trying to campaign himself. Though it could always be him stealing a trick from a fellow Czech in Jagr. "Get Montreal loving you and sign elsewhere for more"

Well if he would sign for 4.5 then yeah, he is a very good player. I don't know if he can play for Le Genius but I have a feeling that may be a short term problem anyway.

One thing I like about Frolik is that he SHOOTS the puck, something we desperately lack. I often use him in HW fantasy league to boost my SOG stat category. If Bergevin doesn't trade Plekanec, I would see Frolik on a good 2-ways 3rd line with him.

Cody Hodgson getting bought out. I've always liked him, could atleast be worth a look

Yeah we may be able to pick him upon the cheap. He has talent but sure hasn't shown it yet.

Yeah we may be able to pick him upon the cheap. He has talent but sure hasn't shown it yet.

He had one good year in Buffalo and parlayed that into a big contract.

If he's motivated, he can be a good player of the 'small but skilled/smart' variety. That he completely evaporated after cashing in suggests someone who is simply no longer interested in paying the price necessary to being a good NHLer, however. I'd steer clear myself - he'd be a better fit for some bottom-feeding team that can afford to take a flyer on guys with decent talent but very questionable character and desire, because they have nobody else.

One thing I like about Frolik is that he SHOOTS the puck, something we desperately lack. I often use him in HW fantasy league to boost my SOG stat category. If Bergevin doesn't trade Plekanec, I would see Frolik on a good 2-ways 3rd line with him.

Plekanec isn't playing on the third line next year though. If Frolik were to sign, that would be at worst a second line combo.

Guest Stogey24

He had one good year in Buffalo and parlayed that into a big contract.

If he's motivated, he can be a good player of the 'small but skilled/smart' variety. That he completely evaporated after cashing in suggests someone who is simply no longer interested in paying the price necessary to being a good NHLer, however. I'd steer clear myself - he'd be a better fit for some bottom-feeding team that can afford to take a flyer on guys with decent talent but very questionable character and desire, because they have nobody else.

He'll be cheap and has the potential to play top six. Sign him on a 1 year deal.