Jump to content

Permanent Rumour Thread


Fanpuck33
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, C-Love said:

I'm hearing rumours (unsubstantiated) that MB may be looking to move Gallagher for Nugent-Hopkins.  This could be a real solid move, and we could bring in Jagr to replace Gallagher on the right side.

Trade makes sense as Edm need to replace Eberle on the right side and free up cap space going forward and Gallagher would be playing with his buddy Lucic and we need an upgrade down the middle.

 

I heard the guys on TSN 690 discussing this the other day.  I'm not sure if it was a rumour or just them shooting the shit about possibilities. 

 

Either way im not even sure The Nuge would be that much of an upgrade over Drouin or Galchenyuk.  His face off numbers are terrible. But admittedly I really have no idea how his defensive play is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think he's pretty responsible defensively and is a good playmaker, may just need a fresh start.  This was on the All About Habs website this morning so I have no idea if there is any legitimacy to the rumour.  I've been trying to find another source but can't.  

I think this trade with the addition of Jagr makes us better up front than last year and maybe we could score a few goals.  Still leaves big questions on the backend though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A trade of Gallagher for Nuge would be a big win for Montreal. I'm guessing we'd have to add a pick - probably a 2nd.

 

Pacs - Nuge - Drouin

Lehk - Danault - Galchenyuk 

Byron - Pleks - Hemsky

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Nuge is defensively responsible. I put up a quote from McLellan not long ago, where he was saying that NH is a very responsible two-way player and that he needs to focus less on his two-way game and more on creating offence and taking risks. I found that very interesting, because I can't remember the last time we heard anyone in the Habs organization say anything like that about anybody. No creativity allowed on Team Fuddy-Duddy.

 

That said, we also need to avoid the Jordan Staal trap in thinking about him. Like Staal, NH was a high draft pick buried behind two mind-blowingly talented C. The 'Canes picked him up thinking he could be a #1 guy for them, once freed up from playing behind Malkin and Crosby. They were wrong. Similarly, NH is not a #1C. He's similar to Duchene, a guy who can come in a generate maybe 50-60 points: a good #2C. Like I say, think of him as Pleks Redux. He even has a similar salary to Pleks.

 

But were we to add him, we would then have Galy, Drouin, and NH as valid options at C, along with Danault as an excellent #3 C. That's the kind of flexibility we need. Move Galy (or Drouin) to W if you must - it no longer means a huge doughnut at C.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I'm guessing with RNH, Julien would go

 

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin

Lehkonen - RNH - Galchenyuk 

Byron - Plekanec - Hemsky 

I don't think RNH is a bonafide #1 at all, but surely he would be on our team.  Can't see him playing behind Danault

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, C-Love said:

I don't think RNH is a bonafide #1 at all, but surely he would be on our team.  Can't see him playing behind Danault

We need to have galchenyuk playing centre and if both galchenyuk and Drouin can become 1a/1b centres would be the ideal situation.  

 

Im not a fan of RNH.  Too much losing baggage with the oilers.  He should be much better offensively and I don't think he will ever realize his potential.

 

my dream is still dumping pleks/Shaw, offer sheeting draisaitl (let the oilers keep RNH) and bringing back the general on a one year deal 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

I wasn't going by what I would do but what I think Julien will do.

I hope danault doesn't turn out to be another player like DD it Weisse that have to be protected from the coach on being played higher in the lineup than what's for their own long term good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We need to have galchenyuk playing centre and if both galchenyuk and Drouin can become 1a/1b centres would be the ideal situation.  

 

Im not a fan of RNH.  Too much losing baggage with the oilers.  He should be much better offensively and I don't think he will ever realize his potential.

 

my dream is still dumping pleks/Shaw, offer sheeting draisaitl (let the oilers keep RNH) and bringing back the general on a one year deal 


and in your dream the Oilers match on Draisaitl and trade RNH to another team looking for a centre (Columbus, Nashville, Islanders).... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:


and in your dream the Oilers match on Draisaitl and trade RNH to another team looking for a centre (Columbus, Nashville, Islanders).... 

If they match ce le vie. I've never been a RNH fan and at least we make it harder for the oilers continue to benefit as much from sucking for 10 years, by making it harder to keep their core together 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you guys must understand, there is literally no circumstance, where Edmonton lets an offersheet on Draisatl go unmatched, none, nothing, nada.

 

they would match a 10 million deal without hesitation and start bailing people off the team for picks if they had to, there is nothing that could force them to let him go, that is the reality of it.

 

Gallagher and some change for Hopkins would be a win win, some cap relief for them for a useful top 6 forward. We get a very solid Center, though he may not be an elite top center in this league, he remains without a doubt a good top 6 center on a contract we can afford under our cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stogey24
7 minutes ago, Link67 said:

you guys must understand, there is literally no circumstance, where Edmonton lets an offersheet on Draisatl go unmatched, none, nothing, nada.

 

they would match a 10 million deal without hesitation and start bailing people off the team for picks if they had to, there is nothing that could force them to let him go, that is the reality of it.

 

Gallagher and some change for Hopkins would be a win win, some cap relief for them for a useful top 6 forward. We get a very solid Center, though he may not be an elite top center in this league, he remains without a doubt a good top 6 center on a contract we can afford under our cap.

22 million dollars tied up in two players. I don't think it's guarantee Edmonton matches an offer sheet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

22 million dollars tied up in two players. I don't think it's guarantee Edmonton matches an offer sheet

Either do I.  Offer $10.5m.  Makes it an even $23m.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They would try to make it work before they ever considered the backlash of letting him go both on and off the ice. Especially when they have just hit their stride of possibly jumping into contendership within the next few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So you are the GM in Edmonton, just spent the last 10 years failing hard at rebuilding by tanking, and finally you take a real leap forward, your fanbase is excited, your organization is excited. You just locked up one of your franchise players, and now is the time you let Leon Draisatl walk because someone offers him 10 million? 11 million?

 

Are you the GM who does that? you think letting Radulov walk had backlash for Bergevin, that would pale in comparison to what you guys are suggesting when all the details are considered. That is the kind of decision that follows and downright haunts a GMs legacy, The man who let Leon Draisatl go, because the price tag was too high. Is their a price that is too steep, to have TWO franchise centers on your team? Doubt we would think so here in Montreal, Pittsburgh certainly didn't think so, and that worked out pretty well for them wouldn't you say?

 

I mean you can use the old never say never line, but holy cow i'd give this a generous 2% chance to happen

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stogey24

Ya, pretty tough letting a guy like that walk. 

 

Either way Draisatl is getting like 9 million a year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is funny. You hear more and more people complaining about the salary cap, "You cant sign more than a couple guys on your team to mega-huge contracts, so just not right, we need to be like the NBA with franchise tagged player!"

But, they play only like 10 players a game not 20+ and their frickin contracts are simply crazy $/yr.

It is even playing field in NHL, smarter GMs will do better not whomever has the richest owners with open pocketbook.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Link67 said:

So you are the GM in Edmonton, just spent the last 10 years failing hard at rebuilding by tanking, and finally you take a real leap forward, your fanbase is excited, your organization is excited. You just locked up one of your franchise players, and now is the time you let Leon Draisatl walk because someone offers him 10 million? 11 million?

 

Are you the GM who does that? you think letting Radulov walk had backlash for Bergevin, that would pale in comparison to what you guys are suggesting when all the details are considered. That is the kind of decision that follows and downright haunts a GMs legacy, The man who let Leon Draisatl go, because the price tag was too high. Is their a price that is too steep, to have TWO franchise centers on your team? Doubt we would think so here in Montreal, Pittsburgh certainly didn't think so, and that worked out pretty well for them wouldn't you say?

 

I mean you can use the old never say never line, but holy cow i'd give this a generous 2% chance to happen

 

"I am the GM of Montreal, I focus on Montreal. All of my ideas are the best, anything else is stupid. What I say goes. If I want a trade I snap my fingers and make it happen. If I want to sign a player, he comes crawling on his knees to me. Players don't care about money or what team they play for after I get talking to them. I offer sheet guys in my sleep...it's like shooting fish in a barrel. All of my draft picks worked out to be the best of their year. How could everyone be so stupid not to pick them? My coaches are all top notch too, they know exactly how to play the players I gave them. So basically from top to bottom I am the best GM in the history of mankind, just ask me and I will tell you."

 

Habs29

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, illWill said:

 

"I am the GM of Montreal, I focus on Montreal. All of my ideas are the best, anything else is stupid. What I say goes. If I want a trade I snap my fingers and make it happen. If I want to sign a player, he comes crawling on his knees to me. Players don't care about money or what team they play for after I get talking to them. I offer sheet guys in my sleep...it's like shooting fish in a barrel. All of my draft picks worked out to be the best of their year. How could everyone be so stupid not to pick them? My coaches are all top notch too, they know exactly how to play the players I gave them. So basically from top to bottom I am the best GM in the history of mankind, just ask me and I will tell you."

 

Habs29

 

Donald Trump, is that you?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Link67 said:

So you are the GM in Edmonton, just spent the last 10 years failing hard at rebuilding by tanking, and finally you take a real leap forward, your fanbase is excited, your organization is excited. You just locked up one of your franchise players, and now is the time you let Leon Draisatl walk because someone offers him 10 million? 11 million?

 

Are you the GM who does that? you think letting Radulov walk had backlash for Bergevin, that would pale in comparison to what you guys are suggesting when all the details are considered. That is the kind of decision that follows and downright haunts a GMs legacy, The man who let Leon Draisatl go, because the price tag was too high. Is their a price that is too steep, to have TWO franchise centers on your team? Doubt we would think so here in Montreal, Pittsburgh certainly didn't think so, and that worked out pretty well for them wouldn't you say?

 

I mean you can use the old never say never line, but holy cow i'd give this a generous 2% chance to happen

 

13 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

 

Donald Trump, is that you?

No, even Donald trump isn't as dumb as illwill 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, illWill said:

 

"I am the GM of Montreal, I focus on Montreal. All of my ideas are the best, anything else is stupid. What I say goes. If I want a trade I snap my fingers and make it happen. If I want to sign a player, he comes crawling on his knees to me. Players don't care about money or what team they play for after I get talking to them. I offer sheet guys in my sleep...it's like shooting fish in a barrel. All of my draft picks worked out to be the best of their year. How could everyone be so stupid not to pick them? My coaches are all top notch too, they know exactly how to play the players I gave them. So basically from top to bottom I am the best GM in the history of mankind, just ask me and I will tell you."

 

Habs29

:thumbs_up:

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

 

No, even Donald trump isn't as dumb as illwill 

 

He's not dumb, but like DON, he doesn't have the confidence to form his own opinions. Whatever management does is manna. Bergevin could fart under these guys noses and they would compliment the breeze.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

 

He's not dumb, but like DON, he doesn't have the confidence to form his own opinions. Whatever management does is manna. Bergevin could fart under these guys noses and they would compliment the breeze.

 

As much as I enjoy a nice fecal scent wafting through the air, I do disagree with moves that management makes. 

 

I'm just not a serial complainer and I let things play out before I start crying about it. And so far this management group has done quite well

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

I wasn't going by what I would do but what I think Julien will do.

Fair enough, I hope not though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...