Markov

Habsfan

Anyone else find it somewhat fishy that Markov missed both games against the Flyers this week-End, yet he'll be allowed to practise and play for the Russians during the Olympics?

Did he not do the same thing in 2008 during the world championships? He didn't play in th3e playoffs for the habs yet he was OK to help Russia win the gold medal!

I won't discuss Markov's commitment to the team. IMO he is as dedicated as anyone out there. Look at Getzlaf, he also wants to play in the Olympics. Do you question his loyalty to the Ducks? Not me.

I may be old-fashioned, but I believe that your country should always come before your team. Markov and Getzlaf just show that they have their priorities at the right place. No problem with that.

Edited by JCPetit

Look at Getzlaf, he also wants to play in the Olympics. Do you question his loyalty to the Ducks? Not me.

The difference is that Getzlaf played for the Ducks this week-end (even though he was injured). When did Markov get hurt? Against the Caps? Where is he hurt?

Why can't he play for the habs, but he can practise for the Russians??

Anyone else find it somewhat fishy that Markov missed both games against the Flyers this week-End, yet he'll be allowed to practise and play for the Russians during the Olympics?

Did he not do the same thing in 2008 during the world championships? He didn't play in th3e playoffs for the habs yet he was OK to help Russia win the gold medal!

I noticed it too and I'm pretty sure the Habs have as well and may not be all that thrilled about it. When I do my trade deadline preview for the site, he'll be bumped up a peg or two as a result of this (in case management's really unhappy about it).

Don't get me wrong. I love Markov! He's our best player and I must say that he's shown alot of character this year, but why is it that he was ready to play for team russia, but he felt he needed to take the week-end off against the flyers?

Don't get me wrong. I love Markov! He's our best player and I must say that he's shown alot of character this year, but why is it that he was ready to play for team russia, but he felt he needed to take the week-end off against the flyers?

Because he wanted to play for Team Russia. He did get injured at the end of the Washington game in OT - Benoit Brunet called it at the time when he saw him in pain. He just wanted to play it safe so that he wouldn't aggravate it just before the Olympics.

Because he wanted to play for Team Russia. He did get injured at the end of the Washington game in OT - Benoit Brunet called it at the time when he saw him in pain. He just wanted to play it safe so that he wouldn't aggravate it just before the Olympics.

There's the issue - we're talking about him being a potential captain and yet he feels it's more important to rest up so he can play for a different team? (Boy, you can really skew an argument one way here...) I wouldn't put it quite in that context, but it's a valid concern I think.

I don't buy it. We have no reason but unfounded suspiciousness to buy it. I have never seen any reason to doubt Mr Markov's integrity and I don't think he would let his team and teammates down only for the Olympics though they are clearly the best and most important hockey in the world.

I can imagine that such decisions call for soul searching, but we have no reason to doubt this fine Montreal Canadien who we rightly consider for captain.

We shoud just drop this as idle speculation.

Do you blame him? If i was in his shoes, the Habs would be a far 2nd to Russia on my list of priorities. Russian players are really proud of where they come from. Why do you think Ovy, Malkin and Kovalchuck have all said they will play for Russia in 4 years whether or not the NHL lets it's athletes go (essentially telling the NHL to shove it)?

Edited by ForumGhost

i am a BIG FAN of markov because of his skill..but iam not a big fan of him..i dont think he as much leadership and i dont think he should wear the C..If he sat to rest for Team Russia then that just one more reason i dont what him to wear the C...

Markov is a great skill player but i dont know if he as hardcore about wearing the :hlogo: as most of us would like...

Markov is a great skill player but i dont know if he as hardcore about wearing the :hlogo: as most of us would like...

Thats nonsense. Out of all the recent soon to be "I love Montreal and want to resign here" UFAs, umm Markov is the only one who actually nutted up and stayed, and for less than he would have got on the open market.

Markovs loyalty to Montreal and the CH is unquestionable, or he'd be gone like all the others.

There's the issue - we're talking about him being a potential captain and yet he feels it's more important to rest up so he can play for a different team? (Boy, you can really skew an argument one way here...) I wouldn't put it quite in that context, but it's a valid concern I think.

I think what's being lost in context is that he does have a few more days to rest up by the time he actually plays with Russia. Practicing and playing are two seperate things. He can practice with the Russian team in order to understand the system they want to play with in the olympics, while limiting the contact he takes. The same can't be said for two hard fought playoff style games against the flyers. Russia's first game is tomorrow, whereas we played back to back games last Friday and Saturday. Who's to say Markov would not have played tomorrow had the habs had a game? While the olympics only occur once every four years and therefore do add that extra little incentive to get ready, I don't think it's the issue at all. In fact, I think there really is no issue here.

I think what's being lost in context is that he does have a few more days to rest up by the time he actually plays with Russia. Practicing and playing are two seperate things. He can practice with the Russian team in order to understand the system they want to play with in the olympics, while limiting the contact he takes. The same can't be said for two hard fought playoff style games against the flyers. Russia's first game is tomorrow, whereas we played back to back games last Friday and Saturday. Who's to say Markov would not have played tomorrow had the habs had a game? While the olympics only occur once every four years and therefore do add that extra little incentive to get ready, I don't think it's the issue at all. In fact, I think there really is no issue here.

+1 & thank you. It's easy to blow things out of proportion.

Maybe he was, you know, injured?

Could be, but it's convenient that he was in full practice (with contact) yesterday with the Russians, a day after the Habs lose. That's one heckuva quick recovery, though for the record, he did recover much quicker than expected already so the thought can't be dismissed outright. Couple that with the fact he didn't play late in the playoffs a couple years back but played for Russia immediately following, I think people have a legit right to at least raise a little suspicion.

Mario Lemiuex was not only a player, but also an owner with the penguins, when he did the same thing to play in the Olympics. Not the first time this has occured and certainly won't be the last.

I've no doubt he was injured and the habs wanted to keep him out until he was ready to go. With respect to the Olympics, he has a little more leeway in the decision on whether or not he is ready to go.

I am glad that Belarus scatched AK46. Hopefully that will give him more time to be ready for March 2.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

i think to these nhlers the olympics is much more important then any league game no doubt. it's the equivalent to soccer's world cup which most soccer players would choose over anything ... i think same goes for olympic hockey.... especially in russia where you become hero of a nation!!!! and as most of these vets get a shot at the stanley cup each year, for some if not most they get 1-2 shots at a gold medal... a chance to go down in history... can we blame markov for that.... ithink he's got his priorities just right!!!!

getzy had to play not for anahiem but for yzerman... he had to prove his health... if it wasnt for the olympics he would of never stepped on the ice...

this is like playing in the stanley cup finals for your country!!

go canada go!

Edited by IN THE HEARTS OF MEN

It's a team doctor thing. If the Habs team doctor says he can't play, then he can't play, but Russia will still let him try it out for the olympics. Andre might play too. He is close to ready. I think that's what i heard anyway. Something like that

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I heard myself on the (Toronto) am 640 Hockey show when the caller clearly targeted Markov as someone who does not like to be the first man in when the puck is dumped into his corner and will not take a hit to make a play, the caller was a life long Habs, he clearly sees what all unbiased fans see when breaking down his game. Game plan Canada, dump the puck in deep on the Russian D and lay the body on Markov and company, they will either give you the puck or candy ass their attempt to move it while taking a hit.

I like Markov a lot, I think he awesome and an unbelievable find late in the draft, but a flaw is a flaw and it's a weakness that gets exposed nightly and it will be showcased tonight. Just like the Americans dumped the puck into Prongers corner to expose his Hall Gillesque footspeed (but vs far superior talent).