O'Byrne

BCHabnut

I'm hearing a lot of people bashing his play this year. He has been a bit streaky, but to be honest, I am pretty impressed overall with his developement compared to last year. He is a pretty cheap replacement for Komi.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's improved vastly over last season, and steadily throughout this year (except when he's playing forward). He's a tough kid and it's remarkable that he's doing this through all of his personal issues.

I'm hearing a lot of people bashing his play this year. He has been a bit streaky, but to be honest, I am pretty impressed overall with his developement compared to last year. He is a pretty cheap replacement for Komi.

He had a great training camp, got hurt, and was abysmal afterwards for a while when he came back. To his credit, he really has picked things up particularly as of late and should get credit for it. I wonder if that coincides with being paired with Markov, which in turn makes me wonder if he's a reason why Markov's been struggling lately - his slump coincides with O'Byrne moving with him. Not trying to start a major debate, but it's something I've noted.

He's an affordable player who's developing nicely. We're lucky to have him. I've heard on radio programs, other teams covet him, as he's a good skater for his size. A good player in this crazy salary cap era.

He's an affordable player who's developing nicely. We're lucky to have him. I've heard on radio programs, other teams covet him, as he's a good skater for his size. A good player in this crazy salary cap era.

It should be noted that he won't be quite so affordable beyond this year. His actual salary nearly doubles; although that doesn't directly affect the cap hit next year, it will make his qualifying offer higher ($1.4 M). If he keeps up his current play, that'll be okay but if he reverts back to early season form, it could become a bit of an iffy contract.

..but only to erase the pictures of him doing shadey stuff!!!!
I don't blame Ryan at all for that. Huet was getting a certain part of himself "cleaned" by the girlfriend of the woman who took photos. So the kid decides to protect the veteran from his wife finding out and gets the cell phone. It's pretty sad when the rook is saving the vet. "Shame on Huet" is the truth! (I have always had a conspiracy theory this is why Gainey traded him)

I am happy with the way his game is progressing. I just don't like it when he takes a panic penalty. But that's OK. Many of them look like sure goals that he prevents.

He had a great training camp, got hurt, and was abysmal afterwards for a while when he came back. To his credit, he really has picked things up particularly as of late and should get credit for it. I wonder if that coincides with being paired with Markov, which in turn makes me wonder if he's a reason why Markov's been struggling lately - his slump coincides with O'Byrne moving with him. Not trying to start a major debate, but it's something I've noted.

Markov wasn't good at the Olympics, so I don't think it's related to O'Byrne at all.

I actually think Markov has been better post-Olympics, so perhaps it was simply health related.

Markov wasn't good at the Olympics, so I don't think it's related to O'Byrne at all.

That's a good point, it could very well have just been a health thing. The timing lined up which is why I made a note of it a while back.

I feel like O'Byrne is progressing nicely! He will most likely never win the Norris trophy, but I'm sure that he will become a solid defensive d-man in the near future. Instead of ######.ing up like Bob did numerous times, Pierre Gauthier should lock him up long term right away. Offer him 10 million$ for 5 years. I'm sure he'd jump on it!

Edited by Habsfan

I feel like O'Byrne is progressing nicely! He will most likely never win the Norris trophy, but I'm sure that he will become a solid defensive d-man in the near future. Instead of ######.ing up like Bob did numerous times, Pierre Gauthier should lock him up long term right away. Offer him 10 million$ for 5 years. I'm sure he'd jump on it!

O'Byrne is one of the few players Gainey deviated from the 1 or 2 year policy to sign a couple years back. Both he and Gorges signed 3 year deals while the rest got short term contracts.

Haha AC, is this confirmed?
I'll find it. Obviously mainstream media stayed away so it's up to you whether or not to trust it. However, Ryan stealing a purse for no logical reason seems ridiculous. This version makes more sense. Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I always like cheering for the underdog and because every fan jump on the poor kid last season..i kind of watch him more and cheer for him...but i can honestly say he is getting a lot better and well be alot better then komi just going to take time...

Edited by KEEP26

D-men take time to develop. He is cheap and big and has promise.

Don't forget he is still a kid. They make MISTAKES.

its only human to do so...

Yes, that right he, me and YOU are human too...

I am very happy with his development. He is another player that was a big part of the Bulldogs last Calder Championship. He can dominate in this league. I would like him to prove me right. And yes I believe in this KID!

He is no PK. but he is the big BURN!

GO HABS GO!

I'm really happy with O`Byrne

I know I know I slammed him last season

I think he genuinely has the CH tatooed on his chest, unlike Komi

It's amazing how much he has improved in many areas in just 1 season; plus, je takes less stupid penalties

You can tell has has matured on and off the ice, I like his confidence

You can tell has has matured on and off the ice, I like his confidence

I get a great kick out of people rendering their evaluations without taking into consideration the progression of the player. Komi was criticized before he got a few years under his belt. O'Byrne, give him a couple of years, he will be fine. Conboy at 6'4'', 200lbs won't your pugulist if ever till he gets there. Palushaj is a first year prospect at the AHL level and his stats will reflect that. Please take into consideration where they are at, before you dish them.

The funny thing is O'Byrne will be the #7 Dman next year if no trades of defensemen are made.

Gorges will be paired with Markov

Subban Gill

Spacek Hamrlik

Not to mention Carle who will likely stick with the team as an extra at the very least (waiver situation, plus he earned it with his improvements). That's why there will likely be at least one trade.

Asking Subban to clean up after Gill might be a little too much pressure.

Yeah, having him play with a 12 year NHL veteran is bad. That's way too much responsibility, what do those guys know about playing in the NHL?

If Sean O'Donnell is good enough for Drew Doughty, than Hal Gill is good enough for P.K. Subban.