GDT: Game 5, Montreal vs Washington

dlbalr

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly the kind of game the Habs have to play in order to win. Low-scoring games is the way to go.

I think everyone deserves a ton of credit. Especially Halak of course, but the rest too. They fought really hard. It was only in the last two minutes I got nervous.

At least they brought it home to give fans another gate and a chance to experience hockey 3 times after the season. I am satisfied with that. I have no idea how we win game 6 unless the ghosts decide to cut us some home ice advantage in the playoffs. Our recent history at the Bell wreaks.

The Washington organisation wants blood for playing such a pathetic game. We all know that's where their stomach is right now. Habs have a chance but only if they seize on the opportunity and finally do more dictation. "Ride the feeling...the emotion" as Dryden described it during the closing of the Forum.

I miss the Forum. Please Habs - find HOME!

I am going to give a half star to JM... he made some changes (Moen), but most importantly, he benched Hammer and MAB in the 3rd...

Agreed - i was cursing him for putting Hammer back on the PP and when Hammer and MAB were on, i thought I was going to have a heart attack!! But couldn't believe he actually sat them in the 3rd and went with 4 dmen to hold on for the win.

Me too. He is weally weally weak.

He shouldn't sit - but I'm sure that the penguin will sit SK74. I don't think SK74 played after the caps scored. I just don't get how most players get a free pass with Martin and SK74 gets nailed to the cross by him for every mistake.

If Spacek comes in who goes out? O'Byrne better stay in. MAB would be ok with me. 

O'Byrne had a decent game as far as I am concerned. But what about Gill and Gorges? Very impressed by these two. Great competitors IMO.

O'Byrne had a decent game as far as I am concerned. But what about Gill and Gorges? Very impressed by these two. Great competitors IMO.

100%

3 stars according to RDS

1. Halak

2. Ovechkin

3. Gill

Nice that they picked Gill, the strong silent type. Halak for sure.

Great game. We could have the lead so easily in this series.

Keep the faith and don't forget to fan up.

Well they were addicts, so I dunno how much bodybuilders have to consume! I guess it's like Creatine, doesnt really do anything on it's own unless you actually lift weights.

GHB works a bit like E as far as euphoria go. Might as well be on the safe side and mix both in Ovie's bottle. Or just save ourselves all the trouble and put some troubled anger-issues kids as flag bearer and let them go apeshit on Ovie.

HAHAHAHAHA!

I like how Moen complements Gomer and Gio

Having him forecheck or go to the net, knowing that Gomez and Gionta keep moving and bussing around the net, helps a lot

By my count, the Habs have scored 14 goals in the first 5 games. Mike "Norris" Green has been on the ice for 9 of those goals.

Heroic win.

Habs played a near-perfect game, yet it still took awesome goaltending for the win. It's unlikely that they can do this two more times. They need to score goals outside of the first period.

And BURY the chances we do get........... 2 on 1's (no shot), a couple of posts (a 1/2" and it's in), and cut out the stupid stick infractions......if you're that close to a guy skate HARDER and knock him off the puck. And cut down on those short behind the back no look passes....we're going to get burned

I was plesantly suprised with the win.......

Edited by kenadian

I like how Moen complements Gomer and Gio

Having him forecheck or go to the net, knowing that Gomez and Gionta keep moving and bussing around the net, helps a lot

A recipe for success. Big guy to win pucks, go to the net, make space, along with a setup guy and a finishing guy.

Halak played a great game, but lets give a lot of credit to the habs D, they prevented most of the traffic in front of the net, and really cut back on allowing the stretch pass and 2 on 1s.

Jacques Martin deserves a LOT of credit for this, especially the Moen move, which few of his all-knowing online bashers ever thought of.

I agree with BTH, though, the odds of the Habs beating the Cap three times in a row are next to non-existent. Moen, for instance, is not a first-line player; to expect him to have that kind of impact night after night is unrealistic. If halak slips even a slight bit, we lose. And on and on and on. But I'll say this - I thought they had next to no chance in Game 5. Maybe that's the key, to surrender even the fainest glimmer of hope :hlogo:

This feels like a huge win for the team, though, in terms of salvaging some pride and respect - whatever happens going forward.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Jacques Martin deserves a LOT of credit for this, especially the Moen move, which few of his all-knowing online bashers ever thought of.

Right Guard ™ presents:

The Other Side of the Coin!

*What if Martin had adjusted with a move like this, say, over one of the long losing stretches during the season?*

I was a big Martin supporter for a long time, but to me at least, he's been completely incapable of adjusting his lineup (and really sendinng out a curve) until game 5 of the playoffs. I'm not saying there weren't adjustments during the season, but he's rarely 'shuffled the cards' as he did last game. If it's what we can expect from now on, then great, but if he goes back to the same 'tried and true' lines and cannot adjust, then we're sunk. I like Martin's system (though he doesn't really have the parts necessary to implement it on a regular basis) and I like his calmness, but what I don't like is his inability to adapt on the fly on a regular basis. He's *too* rigid for my taste.

EDIT: Not really endorsed by Right Guard. True Story. ™

Edited by Colin

I keep harping about this..but really..besides the score...has the caps vastily out played the habs this series? I would say this is closer than the 3-2 game spread. They said the habs were mentally fragile after the game 2 loss, imagine what the caps will be if the sereis goes 7 games...for the 3rd straight year?

Next game, I'd scratch SKost & Pouliot and dress Darche & Maxwell. Can't be worse.

I thought SK played very well in drastically limited minutes..I remember seeing him play very well in his own end. I'd rather bench Metro in favour of Darche...

I agree with BTH, though, the odds of the Habs beating the Cap three times in a row are next to non-existent. Moen, for instance, is not a first-line player; to expect him to have that kind of impact night after night is unrealistic. If halak slips even a slight bit, we lose. And on and on and on. But I'll say this - I thought they had next to no chance in Game 5. Maybe that's the key, to surrender even the fainest glimmer of hope :hlogo:

This feels like a huge win for the team, though, in terms of salvaging some pride and respect - whatever happens going forward.

You know, you and Wamsley know a lot about the game. I think you should join HWL and show your mettle in real online competition! I dare you both. Double dare. In fact.....

I challenge you both.

Beat the Sharks! See if you have what it takes!

I challenge you ALL!

Edited by Colin

I thought SK played very well in drastically limited minutes..I remember seeing him play very well in his own end. I'd rather bench Metro in favour of Darche...

Except that his mistake in the defensive zone directly led to the Ovie goal (SK just stood motionless like a tourist...) and on another play he almost cost us a scoring chance by not backchecking. He barely caught up with Morrison whose about 40 yrs old.

We dont have to beat them three times in a row anymore. We only need to beat them two times in a row now. I just hope Halak can stay consistent for another 2 games (or another 14 games)

Except that his mistake in the defensive zone directly led to the Ovie goal (SK just stood motionless like a tourist...) and on another play he almost cost us a scoring chance by not backchecking. He barely caught up with Morrison whose about 40 yrs old.

Are you sure it was SK fault not Hammers? OB and Hammer both took the same man which left Ovie open...I didn't see how it was SKs fault there?

Waht Habs team will show up on Monday?

And also, most wins in the sereis have been acquired on the road.

We have won 2 out of 3 in Washington, and have lost both games in MTL