Offseason Thread.. What do you want?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading things like this about Price make me believe that a monster deal would have to arise for the Habs to

part with Carey.

I still think Halak will be the one who'll be traded. Maybe not this summer, but he'll be gone before Christmas !

Edited by Habsfan

First I'm francophone and Quebecois and even I can see that signing Kyle Klubertanz means the Habs had enough of (Dagenais part III)

Really? Klubertanz will be a Bulldog as the Hamilton defence corps is basically depleted for next season. His acquisition won't spell the end of anyone aside from a Bulldog d-man such as Benoit.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :puke:

No disrespect to anyone, but some of the trade proposals commented are wow, off the wall, we would be in deep trouble if these actually happened

i wanna say bye bye to MA Bergeron

First I'm francophone and Quebecois and even I can see that signing Kyle Klubertanz means the Habs had enough of (Dagenais part III)

I think we may need to consider re-signing MAB if he's willing to sign for cheap. He was a steal this season, it's just too bad he was overused in the playoffs (and at other times throughout the season).

Our goal should be to win the Cup within Markov's window of prime performance. I'd put that at about 4 years. As I've said before, I think this is feasible, although Gauthier definitely cannot afford any mistakes.

I understand the idea of trading your best player to get great assets back, but at the end of the day, when you have an elite player, you ought to try to win with him. Markov remains the anchor of this team and he will offer a tremendous mentor/buffer for Subban. Once Markov really starts to slide, Subban will be entering his prime. Sounds like a good transition to me.

Subban and Markov patroling the blue.... hmm :P

With good goaltending and improvements up front.... S&AK come to mind.... We have a pretty competitive team is seems to me.. Pleks had a really good year and performed well defensively in the playoffs, ... a good core, but as you say, Gauthier must trade carefully.

This is bang on and why I have been tossing around the 1.5M number for the last couple of months.

Halak will be looking for more than Rinne. Rinne got it after one season too and did not have the playoff

success that Halak has. Add in the ridiculous contract Dallas gave Lehtonen and I expect nothing less than $4M per.

Reading things like this about Price make me believe that a monster deal would have to arise for the Habs to

part with Carey.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2010/5/2...y-helped-in-the

I agree 100% with CC in regards to Pleks.

That was an uplifting article on Carey Price. There ain't nuthin I hate more than publicly admitting my faults of character. So now Carey's gone from being an immature kid to being more honest and mature than I am. That's not a great achievement.... most anyone can jump that bar... but this fan just developped a lot more confidence in the wisdom of the choice Mr G made. A great goalie can make a great difference towards a great team for a great number of years.

As a perhaps funny aside, and considering S&AK, I tried to imagine myself playing for the ERIEJRE+)8er Cup in China, a cup with a long and glorious Chinese tradition. It wouldn't be a great motivator for me. THe heart is not engaged with these guys.

I assume you are talking about Pouliot? If you are...I'm not so sure Pouliot will leave that early. Don't forget, Many people feel that the habs bailed on Latendresse way too early. If you give up on Pouliot(who you got for Latendresse) you're basically telling your fanbase that you fvc.ked up and you don't know what you're doing! My guess is that they'll give Pouliot another season on the first 2 lines to prove himself!

Pouliot???...I was writing about MA (Marc André) Bergeron, the dman/slash PP point forward... Hell No!!! Pouliot is a keeper!!

didnt we see the header of Habsworld with the signing of Kyle Klubertanz?

didnt we see the header of Habsworld with the signing of Kyle Klubertanz?

We did...and still do, I haven't taken it down yet. :) That being said, Klubertanz will be in Hamilton next year, he's going to replace one of the many departing Hamilton d-men. I'm actually working on assembling the Bulldogs offseason tracker, you'll see why I'm quite confident in that statement soon enough.

I think if we can trade the Kostitsyns for a good young top 6 forward (such as Horton or Booth) and Price for a good young defenceman (such as Jack Johnson), then I say go for it. I would wanna keep both goalies, but if you can turn a goalie who's only going to start 30 games into a season-long asset, then that would be a logical.

I think trading one of our young goaltenders for a top six forward is wishful thinking... In recent history goaltenders have provided little in return where trade value is concerned. I say keep them both and develop them more. I think we can appease both goalies with the ample ice time available throughout the season.

If I was GM, yes naturally I'd like more scoring punch with size.

Who I'd want to fill this role... Andrei Kostitsyn for a start! Hope he comes back to camp fit and ready to kick some butt!

Looking forward however to see what Gauthier and Bob as consultant figure out as the right solution to the team's needs.

As an aside... I'd like to state for the record that Gomez is a fantastic addition to the team. He's was fun to watch all season long. I love the skill, speed and his game at both ends of the ice. I could care less about his goal production. To dwell on this issue in my opinion is being narrow minded. He made Gionta, Pouliot, Cammelleri better.

Dominic Moore was a fantastic pickup. It was nice to see Lapierre back as himself again in the playoffs. Darche is my hero whatever no matter what happens here on out.

Gorges for captain!

Matts

Id love to see us go and target someone like tomas holmstrom from detroit. We've been missing the front of the net physical presence for far too long, and this guy is the best in the biz.

Cross him off the available list, expect to see the Wings announce he's re-signed very soon (2 year deal).

Wouldn't have been a trade, he was a pending UFA. Deal is for $1.875 M per year if anyone cares. :)

Pretty good deal for both sides.

I would have signed him at that price in a second.

Yeah, he probably could have commanded $3 mil on the open market. That's good news. It means that the Habs can point to that contract when negotiating with guys like Moore or Lapierre.

• 3 weeks later...

Question: I know Gauthier has said that Eller could be a #2 C, and people have used that as fuel for Plekanec leaving the team. But given his recent falloff, and his past history with Martin, would Olli Jokinen be a good stop-gap measure as a 2nd line C? He plays with a little sandpaper at times, and is a big presence down the middle. One would think he'd command significantly less than his expiring contract, I've seen a few places note that he'd have to expect a $1.5M-ish type contract to "hope" to be picked up by a team. I think that's kind of a stretch, but...

Would you take Jokinen at somewhere between $1.5-2M if that's possible? Or he is too much on the decline at this point to bother?

I wanna know if other teams have their own Sergei Kost.

in Bob M. TSN rant: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=326057

he states that Petteri Nokelainen (among other players) was placed on waivers... he's 24 right shot and 6 foot 1. any scoop on why this kid is so undesirable?

I wanna know if other teams have their own Sergei Kost.

in Bob M. TSN rant: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=326057

he states that Petteri Nokelainen (among other players) was placed on waivers... he's 24 right shot and 6 foot 1. any scoop on why this kid is so undesirable?

His QO is for $1 M which isn't desirable for a 13 point player. He's a decent 4th line C but that's too much for one. Because he's only 24, his buyout is only roughly $160,000 per year, which frees up a decent chunk of money for the Coyotes to put towards re-signing Michalek/Lombardi. It's not that he's a head case, but it's a cheap way to save money.

His QO is for $1 M which isn't desirable for a 13 point player. He's a decent 4th line C but that's too much for one. Because he's only 24, his buyout is only roughly $160,000 per year, which frees up a decent chunk of money for the Coyotes to put towards re-signing Michalek/Lombardi. It's not that he's a head case, but it's a cheap way to save money.

Ahhhh! that makes sense... I guess some teams are more desperate than others in retaining their players (and more $$$ limited) Habs have lost young guns in the past through waivers before, but i don't recall a buy out like this one (young slightly overpaid 4th liner)

also forgot the Coyotes belongs to the League so its not a surprise

Edited by CoRvInA

Ahhhh! that makes sense... I guess some teams are more desperate than others in retaining their players (and more $$$ limited) Habs have lost young guns in the past through waivers before, but i don't recall a buy out like this one (young slightly overpaid 4th liner)

also forgot the Coyotes belongs to the League so its not a surprise

The Habs technically had a similar buyout a few years ago in Tony Salmelainen. (Don't feel bad if you're thinking "who?" - he wasn't a Hab for more than a week). We got him as part of unloading Samsonov's deal but rather than overpay him (he was making 750k I think), we opted to buy him out for the cheaper 1/3 rate. Same thing happening with Nokelainen. I wouldn't have minded him but if they can come to terms with Boyd before he becomes a UFA (since he was unqualified), there'd be no spot for him.

The Habs technically had a similar buyout a few years ago in Tony Salmelainen. (Don't feel bad if you're thinking "who?" - he wasn't a habs for more than a week). We got him as part of unloading Samsonov's deal but rather than overpay him (he was making 750k I think), we opted to buy him out for the cheaper 1/3 rate. Same thing happening with Nokelainen. I wouldn't have minded him but if they can come to terms with Boyd before he becomes a UFA (since he was unqualified), there'd be no spot for him.

It's also what Ottawa did to Emery.

Ok, now let me say what i want.....

BIG FAST (or FAST ENOUGH) FORWARDS!!! dont care if they are brain dead LETS GET THAT TEAM SIZE AVERAGE UP FOR F@&^@*$(!&!^!!!

:hlogo: