GDT: Habs vs Thrashers, Mar. 1

dlbalr

HW 3 Stars in the works now.

Should be no surprise if Price is your number one star. Patches will probably be #2. Interesting to see who you pick as the third and the honourable mention.

Big win for the Habs. Great game by Price. Feel kinda bad he didnt get his shutout.

Edited by Habsfan84

We 1!

Hope they keep putting space between the teams in #7 or #8 - Do whatever it takes to avoid Philly! Would be nice to move up and avoid the Bruins as well.

Hope they keep putting space between the teams in #7 or #8 - Do whatever it takes to avoid Philly! Would be nice to move up and avoid the Bruins as well.

I think the Habs can take the Bruins out. There is no hope if they face Philly. LOL

I would rather play pittsburg in the first round and skip both boston and philly. Even if Crosby comes back, he might not be the same player for a while. With Malkin out, they are now the weakest of those top teams, imo. Plus, in a battle between MAF and Price, my money is on Price. In fact, my money is on even Gomez being able to score.

I would rather play pittsburg in the first round and skip both boston and philly. Even if Crosby comes back, he might not be the same player for a while. With Malkin out, they are now the weakest of those top teams, imo. Plus, in a battle between MAF and Price, my money is on Price. In fact, my money is on even Gomez being able to score.

That would be the best matchup, but I don't know if the Pens can hold on to a high seed. I'll be impressed if they do.

The only team that I don't think the Habs can beat in a short series is Philly.

The best outcome for the Habs is to finish 4th or 5th, so we can play with either Washington or Pittsburg. I think our chances are very good with one or the other. After that, well, it all depends of Carey Price and which team we would meet. We'll need luck anyway.

The best outcome for the Habs is to finish 4th or 5th, so we can play with either Washington or Pittsburg. I think our chances are very good with one or the other. After that, well, it all depends of Carey Price and which team we would meet. We'll need luck anyway.

Washington would be the best storyline and would set up the irrational return of the Halak/Price argument should the Capitals emerge victorious.

The fact is, there are very few authentic contenders in the league this year. Pittsburgh's injuries seem to rule them out. Washington is a massive question mark. So in the East there's really only Philly and Boston you can point to as rock solid. In the West, Vancouver, Detroit and possibly San Jose (notwithstanding their awful track record).

This is something that critics of the Habs haven't really thought enough about. You can rail about us being a 'bubble team,' but all other things being equal, we have just as good a chance as anyone except Philly and Boston of making it out of the damned conference. Of course smart money bets against the Habs duplicating (or, dare to dream, surpassing) their run from last year; but the weakness of the field means that we actually have a credible chance of doing so. If someone knocks out Philly, there's no team I truly *fear* among the remainders. (Boston is a stronger team than us, but you know, when the habs play Boston weird things happen :lol: )

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The fact is, there are very few authentic contenders in the league this year. Pittsburgh's injuries seem to rule them out. Washington is a massive question mark. So in the East there's really only Philly and Boston you can point to as rock solid. In the West, Vancouver, Detroit and possibly San Jose (notwithstanding their awful track record).

This is something that critics of the Habs haven't really thought enough about. You can rail about us being a 'bubble team,' but all other things being equal, we have just as good a chance as anyone except Philly and Boston of making it out of the damned conference. Of course smart money bets against the Habs duplicating (or, dare to dream, surpassing) their run from last year; but the weakness of the field means that we actually have a credible chance of doing so. If someone knocks out Philly, there's no team I truly *fear* among the remainders. (Boston is a stronger team than us, but you know, when the habs play Boston weird things happen :lol: )

There is much truth in this, but I am glad we didn't dump assets in the attempt. If we manage to avoid Philly and perhaps Boston, then we do have a solid chance, with the team we have now. The key will be Price being solid, no more injuries, and Gomez needs to wake up and make us forget the season. If Gomez, Gionta, and Cammy turn on the Playoff jets, we suddenly have a dangerous team.

There is much truth in this, but I am glad we didn't dump assets in the attempt. If we manage to avoid Philly and perhaps Boston, then we do have a solid chance, with the team we have now. The key will be Price being solid, no more injuries, and Gomez needs to wake up and make us forget the season. If Gomez, Gionta, and Cammy turn on the Playoff jets, we suddenly have a dangerous team.

100%. Gauthier had three basic choices at the deadline:

-dump assets to try for a run this year. Dumb idea given that we cannot surrender more picks and certainly not young blue-chippers like Subban and MaxPac. Not if we ever want to hit the next level and become true contenders.

-sell aging war-horses like Hammer and Gill to the highest bidder in order to stockpile assets for the future. This would mean surrendering all hope for this playoff. Dumb idea given that, as per the above, we have a legitimate chance of doing damage.

-stand pat and hope that Spacek comes back strong and that the team brings its 'A' game to the dance. Best option.

I'd love for us to be Vancouver, but looking at the competition, you realize we're better positioned than most fans seem to acknowledge.

100%. Gauthier had three basic choices at the deadline:

-dump assets to try for a run this year. Dumb idea given that we cannot surrender more picks and certainly not young blue-chippers like Subban and MaxPac. Not if we ever want to hit the next level and become true contenders.

-sell aging war-horses like Hammer and Gill to the highest bidder in order to stockpile assets for the future. This would mean surrendering all hope for this playoff. Dumb idea given that, as per the above, we have a legitimate chance of doing damage.

-stand pat and hope that Spacek comes back strong and that the team brings its 'A' game to the dance. Best option.

I'd love for us to be Vancouver, but looking at the competition, you realize we're better positioned than most fans seem to acknowledge.

Upsets happened when the league wasn't tilted towards parity.

When they do it becomes wide open. Even in 86 the Flyers, Caps and Oilers were viewed as unbeatable and the Rangers and Flames upended them both.

The Pens were a juggernaut in 93 and went down to a mediocre Islanders team.

It is great to fear the Flyers, but parity (salary cap) has forced a weakness on every team. The Flyers have great forward depth but their Cup aspirations fall on the back of a rookie and a journeyman goaltender.

One or two upsets and it becomes wide open.

Upsets happened when the league wasn't tilted towards parity.

When they do it becomes wide open. Even in 86 the Flyers, Caps and Oilers were viewed as unbeatable and the Rangers and Flames upended them both.

The Pens were a juggernaut in 93 and went down to a mediocre Islanders team.

It is great to fear the Flyers, but parity (salary cap) has forced a weakness on every team. The Flyers have great forward depth but their Cup aspirations fall on the back of a rookie and a journeyman goaltender.

One or two upsets and it becomes wide open.

On further reflection, the joker in the Eastern Conference deck may be Tampa. I don't believe they are true Cup contenders, but with their mix of champion vets and a burdgeoning Stamkos, they arguably occupy an intermediate zone between Boston/Philly and 'The Pack' (which includes Montreal, Washington, an injury-ravaged Pittsburgh,and whoever is in 7th/8th today ^_^ ). I do think we can beat Tampa, but it'll be tough, partly due to the 'French Factor' of St Louis, Gagne, that fraud Lecavalier, and Guy Boucher, all of which will give the Lightning that little extra push you sometimes need. In any case, they're probably the hardest team to know what to expect from of all the playoff seeds in the East - it's quite possible that it will take either Philly or Boston to beat them.

On further reflection, the joker in the Eastern Conference deck may be Tampa. I don't believe they are true Cup contenders, but with their mix of champion vets and a burdgeoning Stamkos, they arguably occupy an intermediate zone between Boston/Philly and 'The Pack' (which includes Montreal, Washington, an injury-ravaged Pittsburgh,and whoever is in 7th/8th today ^_^ ). I do think we can beat Tampa, but it'll be tough, partly due to the 'French Factor' of St Louis, Gagne, that fraud Lecavalier, and Guy Boucher, all of which will give the Lightning that little extra push you sometimes need. In any case, they're probably the hardest team to know what to expect from of all the playoff seeds in the East - it's quite possible that it will take either Philly or Boston to beat them.

The new NHL has morphed into parity. There is little to separate the Lightning from the 8th seed.

A four round run is unlikely by the Habs, but they can beat anybody (including Philly) in a short sample size.

As far as the non-moves that Gauthier didn't make, I have to say i'm relatively satisfied.

I don't want to see our good young players leave(Carey, P.K., Max, and others) just to pick up a rental player. Let's not kid ourselves, without Markov and Gorges, our Habs don't have much of a chance of actually winning the cup. Next year should be a better year, so keep our draft picks, keep our good young players and aim for the 2011-2012 season!

As far as the non-moves that Gauthier didn't make, I have to say i'm relatively satisfied.

I don't want to see our good young players leave(Carey, P.K., Max, and others) just to pick up a rental player. Let's not kid ourselves, without Markov and Gorges, our Habs don't have much of a chance of actually winning the cup. Next year should be a better year, so keep our draft picks, keep our good young players and aim for the 2011-2012 season!

I don' think PK, Carey or Max Pac were going to be dangled for a rental (only idiots like Waddell do things like that).

The players who would have been in play would have been guys like Leblanc, Tinordi and maybe a Desharnais. Those guys are not worth giving up unless you have organizational prospect depth like the Kings have. The Habs best prospects have all graduated to the big club and have been a large part of their success this season.

I don't believe they will win the Cup this season, but I didn't think they would win a round last year, let alone be a Boston choke job away from a Stanley Cup Finals appearance.