GDT: LIGHTNING vs HABS Mar 17 7:30PM Puck Drop

kenadian

I talked to one of my son's power skating coaches who played with Subban, Tavares, Stamkos etc and he pretty much validated that PK is a jerk off on the ice. That he never shuts up and was arrogant and chippy and tightwalked the edge. He had nothing but good things to say about Tavares and Stamkos.

I understand that people hate him for reasons that have everything to do with his jersey and his colour, but I am beginning to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between.

I am tired of defending the guy only to see him involved in another incident and another player calling him out. At first it was easy to refute the claims because it was Cherry, Richards, Stock, Milbury etc, but the players who are beginning to complain are no longer hypocritical idiots.

That slash was a violent two handed slash, but we all know PK played that up.

If you begin defending somebody based solely on their jersey, then you become just as clueless as those who attack for the opposite reason.

Well said.

I must admit that it doesn't bug me that we own a player that everyone hate. Especially if he can back it up with his talent.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He needs to keep doing what he does to be competitive. Not many people liked Claude Lemieux, Chelios, Roenick... the list goes on. He's a mouthy little bugger, and doesn't show respect. He will calm down as he ages. I don't defend him, because he is what he is. He's a mouthy a$$. If he was on the other team, I would hate him. Since he's on the Habs, I love him. Mostly for the way he plays. The penalties are a little conserning though.

He needs to keep doing what he does to be competitive. Not many people liked Claude Lemieux, Chelios, Roenick... the list goes on. He's a mouthy little bugger, and doesn't show respect. He will calm down as he ages. I don't defend him, because he is what he is. He's a mouthy a$$. If he was on the other team, I would hate him. Since he's on the Habs, I love him. Mostly for the way he plays. The penalties are a little conserning though.

Agree. I don't care what he does on the ice to be honest (chirping, respect wise, but not physically harming others). What you reap is what you sow.

I loved Claude Lemieux and I guarantee you if you ask Devils and Avs fans what they thought of him, they would probably say the same. I don't agree or respect what he did to Draper, but I know that every team he played on was better for having him on the team.

I talked to one of my son's power skating coaches who played with Subban, Tavares, Stamkos etc and he pretty much validated that PK is a jerk off on the ice. That he never shuts up and was arrogant and chippy and tightwalked the edge. He had nothing but good things to say about Tavares and Stamkos.

I understand that people hate him for reasons that have everything to do with his jersey and his colour, but I am beginning to believe that the truth lies somewhere in between.

I am tired of defending the guy only to see him involved in another incident and another player calling him out. At first it was easy to refute the claims because it was Cherry, Richards, Stock, Milbury etc, but the players who are beginning to complain are no longer hypocritical idiots.

That slash was a violent two handed slash, but we all know PK played that up.

If you begin defending somebody based solely on their jersey, then you become just as clueless as those who attack for the opposite reason.

I love that PK is a jerk to other players, I LOVE it...why do players get to run their mouths about other players without getting painted with the scarlet letter? Stamkos and St. Louis bitched out Omark earlier in the season for his shootout goal, yet they do worse with their spinarama crap? Richards...enough said. Despite the result, what Lecav did was worthy of getting him kicked out of the game, that's why Lecav is crying to the media. Heck, Montreal if they were this whiner type of team would call out other players because of their talking, but for some reason the Habs either aren't allowed or don't want to, not sure if it's a directive from the top or not, but it's pissing me off.

Another dumb quote was "he didn't miss a shift, he was right back out there", lets analyze this. The period had a few seconds left and PK went straight to the dressing room and came out after the intermission...instead of calling out the opposing team for their statements, the media chooses to focus on that young up start rookie doing gamesmanship. Lecav has no respect from me, someone who is scared of the media shouldn't use it later when it suits him.

I like that someone as respected as Wamsley has come out and said this. His antics on the ice, in my opinion, are becoming a problem. I love what PK brings to the team in terms of talent, and hope he plays here well into his 30's. But something is not right.

Is it not possible a good percentage of Subban's penalty minutes are directly related to almost every team in the east taking a run at him? Call it self defence or standing up for yourself either way....

I don't get the impression that P.K. is a reckless player who is constantly doing stupid things that lead to penalties. He plays hard and I'm happy to see the guy not back down or roll out some magic red carpet of respect for the older players.

It's hockey not pro golf.

His fights look pretty weak but I think it comes from lack of experience not because he's looking to hide behind other players or the refs.

All around he's a great player. For me it wouldn't matter which team he played for, I like what he brings to the game. Even better he's a Canadien. Think about it. You've got a rookie with a lot of talent who isn't afraid to talk on the ice. Totally understandable that he gets under the skin of our opponents.

As far as him being a jerk, I'll reserve judgement until I meet him and decide for myself.

oh and the "dive" he took the other night.....take a two handed chop to the leg and see if you don't fall down. Maybe he took an extra 15 sec to get up, but that's not his problem, it's Lecavaliers.

Edited by BrenDittero

Its not easy to deal with either. With all the injuries on Dmen we cant prove a point by benching him or anything. I bet if Markov and Gorges were on the team Subban wouldnt get as much icetime and that would mean not as much time to irritate other players.

I think so. And for what it's worth, Michel Bergeron said he was seen laughing on the bench. If there's any truth to that, it looks bad.

Who care what Michel Bergeron thinks or says. He lives in the past and he is a French version of Don Cherry, both living in their own past.

As Bar said, PK probably is "disrespectful" to those who closely follow The Code but I couldn't care less. I like having an exciting player on the team that other people hate - I just don't like it when the bashing is excessive and based on things other than his actions.

I'm not one that cares much about class or respect as long as there is no headhunting or anything that embarrasses his teammates. For instance, I think BGL should have jumped Lucic. The way I see it, if Gill or Gionta have no complaints about PK's behavior, I don't either. (But who knows, maybe they do.)

At any rate, I think he'll mellow out a bit as he becomes a veteran. Remember, he is still a rookie.

Is it not possible a good percentage of Subban's penalty minutes are directly related to almost every team in the east taking a run at him? Call it self defence or standing up for yourself either way....

I don't get the impression that P.K. is a reckless player who is constantly doing stupid things that lead to penalties. He plays hard and I'm happy to see the guy not back down or roll out some magic red carpet of respect for the older players.

It's hockey not pro golf.

His fights look pretty weak but I think it comes from lack of experience not because he's looking to hide behind other players or the refs.

All around he's a great player. For me it wouldn't matter which team he played for, I like what he brings to the game. Even better he's a Canadien. Think about it. You've got a rookie with a lot of talent who isn't afraid to talk on the ice. Totally understandable that he gets under the skin of our opponents.

As far as him being a jerk, I'll reserve judgement until I meet him and decide for myself.

oh and the "dive" he took the other night.....take a two handed chop to the leg and see if you don't fall down. Maybe he took an extra 15 sec to get up, but that's not his problem, it's Lecavaliers.

Perfectly said!

I also know a lot of guys who played or worked with PK. I also know people who went to school with him. The all say he talks too much, but they also said he is a great guy and good friend. They didn't think he was a jerk at all, just someone who can be over the top (too exuberant) at times.

Its funny he didn't have these so called issues until he played in the NHL and a few "old code guys" started calling him out. Now every time a team loses they run their mouths off in the press about PK. It seems like a reflex response at this point. Frankly, most of them should be embarrassed, they sound like a bunch of babies... "PK called me names". "PK didn't treat me with respect", "PK knocked me down and I didn't score. boo hoo hoo"

I have no idea what Vinny is whining about. He took a two handed chop to another player. Cammy did that in the exhibition season and got suspended for the first game of the season. I didn't hear anyone slamming the guy Cammy hit.

I also know a lot of guys who played or worked with PK. I also know people who went to school with him. The all say he talks too much, but they also said he is a great guy and good friend. They didn't think he was a jerk at all, just someone who can be over the top (too exuberant) at times.

Its funny he didn't have these so called issues until he played in the NHL and a few "old code guys" started calling him out. Now every time a team loses they run their mouths off in the press about PK. It seems like a reflex response at this point. Frankly, most of them should be embarrassed, they sound like a bunch of babies... "PK called me names". "PK didn't treat me with respect", "PK knocked me down and I didn't score. boo hoo hoo"

I have no idea what Vinny is whining about. He took a two handed chop to another player. Cammy did that in the exhibition season and got suspended for the first game of the season. I didn't hear anyone slamming the guy Cammy hit.

Excellent post, it is funny how the ok haters only come out when the loose to us.

Nice to hear differing accounts of P.K.'s "bad attitude". We all know people like PK, maybe a little cocky but at the end of the day he's a good guy. I suspect this is closer too the truth than the image that gets painted in the media.

Also, Cammy did the classy thing. He took his penalty, said nothing negative about the league or other players and came back a game later.

If we're going to get into a conversation about respect, I think a good place to start is the way you conduct yourself OFF the ice.

Meanwhile, Cooke just got tossed for an elbow to the head. Definitely better be suspended.. but it raises some questions....

1. Will Mario come out and slam Cooke for clearly throwing an elbow to a guys head...

2. The Ranger managed to get up, not injured. So does that make it okay? ie.. Let's say PK faked it.. doesn't take away the two hander).

3. Will Don Cherry come out and denouce this crap, or will he remain focused on blaming the victims.

Meanwhile, Cooke just got tossed for an elbow to the head. Definitely better be suspended.. but it raises some questions....

1. Will Mario come out and slam Cooke for clearly throwing an elbow to a guys head...

2. The Ranger managed to get up, not injured. So does that make it okay? ie.. Let's say PK faked it.. doesn't take away the two hander).

3. Will Don Cherry come out and denouce this crap, or will he remain focused on blaming the victims.

1. He most likely will not slam Cooke but rather try to reinforce the dangers of head shots. Or we'll get ' no comment '

2. It can't be ok, when an elbow gets thrown you have no idea how severe the resulting injury might be. Players need to be accountable for their actions. Canadiens included. Again. Lecavalier's slash is not Subban's problem.

3. Don Cherry is one of the worst fence sitters I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

On the one hand he has no problem showing old video of how he said stanchions were dangerous or padding has gotten too big. Saying I told you so from 1999.

On the other hand he thinks Patches injury was a hockey play and Subban should get what's coming to him.

Cherry is so inconsistent with his views it's hard to make heads or tails. One guys opinion is virtually meaningless anyway.