GDT: Habs vs Bruins, Game 5

dlbalr

I think I read somewhere that Carey is 0-7 in his last 7 playoff starts at home. Time for him to get a win at the Bell Center.

Yep. He is due. His last win was the Kostopolous OT winner.

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not talking about free agents until the Habs are eliminated. This team was right there tonight and the Bruins are fortunate to be up.

This isn't team flaws, it is a pick em series and the Bruins have 2OT wins so far. Why get negative? If everybody wants to feel like an ass, go back and read the archives for Washington Game 4 and Pittsburgh Game 5. You will see the same negativity, Jesus, go back 2 periods and you will get the idea.

what aggravates me is that I don't think the bruins are a very good team. They are a team that gets the call their way - too much crap that doesn't get called because of the let em play attitude of the league and idiots like Cherry.

IMO, the Caps, Flyers (even with their crappy goaltending), Sabres, Lightening and Pens (even without Crosby and Malkin) are better then the Bruins. The Bruins are a team that plays dirty (much like the flyers) and don't get calls against them the way they should. They represent everything I hate about the NHL, but since the last game collapse, where we blow a 3-1 and 4-3 lead, I just haven't had a very good feeling, about the habs chances. We aren't getting the calls or the bounces.

Lastly, I hate JM's inability to make adjustments when the game dictates it. I can see playing a rope and dope style against a loaded Caps and Pens team, I don't get this sitting back style against a team like the Bruins. We were successful in the first couple of games and the first half of Game 4, because we used our speed and took the play to them. This team lacks that killer instinct. I also don't like the way we've handcuff our young skilled players like eller and Deshernais, by not letting them play with a guy like Gionta and watch a bum like Gomez play soft on both sides of the ice and get a regular shift.

what aggravates me is that I don't think the bruins are a very good team. They are a team that gets the call their way - too much crap that doesn't get called because of the let em play attitude of the league and idiots like Cherry.

IMO, the Caps, Flyers (even with their crappy goaltending), Sabres, Lightening and Pens (even without Crosby and Malkin) are better then the Bruins. The Bruins are a team that plays dirty (much like the flyers) and don't get calls against them the way they should. They represent everything I hate about the NHL, but since the last game collapse, where we blow a 3-1 and 4-3 lead, I just haven't had a very good feeling, about the habs chances. We aren't getting the calls or the bounces.

Lastly, I hate JM's inability to make adjustments when the game dictates it. I can see playing a rope and dope style against a loaded Caps and Pens team, I don't get this sitting back style against a team like the Bruins. We were successful in the first couple of games and the first half of Game 4, because we used our speed and took the play to them. This team lacks that killer instinct. I also don't like the way we've handcuff our young skilled players like eller and Deshernais, by not letting them play with a guy like Gionta and watch a bum like Gomez play soft on both sides of the ice and get a regular shift.

DD was hurt, that hurt in the second OT.

Looking at the highlight, it was Wiz who left Hammer and Price out to dry.

Hamrlik was trying to cover two forwards, covering Wiz's ass.

Edited by Wamsley01

I am not talking about free agents until the Habs are eliminated. This team was right there tonight and the Bruins are fortunate to be up.

This isn't team flaws, it is a pick em series and the Bruins have 2OT wins so far. Why get negative? If everybody wants to feel like an ass, go back and read the archives for Washington Game 4 and Pittsburgh Game 5. You will see the same negativity, Jesus, go back 2 periods and you will get the idea.

And the Habs out chanced the Bruins significantly in Game 4, yet lost.

That's because the lack of finish with our forwards, despite taking the play to the bruins and then taking the foot of the pedal and playing the sit back JM style. After that time out by Julian, the habs seemed to go to sleep. Even then, if their D wasn't so sloppy, they could have won that game. The Boston D isn't any better then the habs D, but they aren't as blatently sloppy and soft.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

That's because the lack of finish with our forwards, despite taking the play to the bruins and then taking the foot of the pedal and playing the sit back JM style. After that time out by Julian, the habs seemed to go to sleep. Even then, if their D wasn't so sloppy, they could have won that game. The Boston D isn't any better then the habs D, but they aren't as blatently sloppy and soft.

That is confirmation bias.

I don't know. The habs are beat up, small, and have problems scoring. On the plus side, they have a good goalie and a decent team system.

The Bruins have a good goalie, they are bigger, they are healthier, and they are somewhat better offensively. Their PP sucks, but so does ours.

While either team can win, you have to like what the Bruins can bring to a 7 game series. They are wearing us down. Des hurt. Wiz hurt. Subban has been hammered nightly. What have we done to them?

The Bruins can play a grinding style in a tight game, we can't. Last year, only the Pens put a lot of physical pressure on the Habs and while we beat them, there was nothing left for the Flyers.

I would be surprised if we won at this point. We had two good chances to take this series and lost both of them. The last game was the real killer. We had them down on the mat and let them up.

Its not over, but I wouldn't put money on the habs winning this. I hope for a strong pushback from them in Montreal, but unless they get some bounces, its going to be tough.

Bruins choked a 3-0 lead, the Habs were a fortunate bounce from being up 3-2. I am not giving up on a team that was 2 OT goals away from a 4-1 win.

I'm with you. We got better as the game progressed. Valiant effort this postseason either way. Boos were lucky last time and we might have had it this time.

I don't know. The habs are beat up, small, and have problems scoring. On the plus side, they have a good goalie and a decent team system.

The Bruins have a good goalie, they are bigger, they are healthier, and they are somewhat better offensively. Their PP sucks, but so does ours.

While either team can win, you have to like what the Bruins can bring to a 7 game series. They are wearing us down. Des hurt. Wiz hurt. Subban has been hammered nightly. What have we done to them?

The Bruins can play a grinding style in a tight game, we can't. Last year, only the Pens put a lot of physical pressure on the Habs and while we beat them, there was nothing left for the Flyers.

I would be surprised if we won at this point. We had two good chances to take this series and lost both of them. The last game was the real killer. We had them down on the mat and let them up.

Its not over, but I wouldn't put money on the habs winning this. I hope for a strong pushback from them in Montreal, but unless they get some bounces, its going to be tough.

I don't get the power of this bigger, tougher narrative. Sure, the Wiz and DD got banged up tonight, but did you see Chara limping around as well? More importantly, are you watching the physical play on the boards? I see Habs (AK, White, Eller, even Gio) leveling Bruins as often, if not more often, than vice versa. The hits stats bear this out. The Habs are not getting warn down any more than the Bruins are. Both teams just played two hard fought games that could have gone either way. I expect the same to be true on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Edited by patience is a virtue

I don't get the power of this bigger, tougher narrative. Sure, the Wiz and DD got banged up tonight, but did you see Chara limping around as well? More importantly, are you watching the physical play on the boards? I see Habs (AK, White, Eller, even Gio) leveling Bruins as often, if not more often, than vice versa. The hits stats bear this out. The Habs are not getting warn down any more than the Bruins are. Both teams just played two hard fought games that could have gone either way. I expect the same to be true on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I have tried to remember where I have seen this movie before and I keep coming up with "Chopper and Spike"

Habs came back from 3-1 and 3-2 last season. Bruins choked a 3-0 lead, Canucks are playing a game 6 we never expected, the Bolts just destroyed the Pens to force game 6.

The new NHL is so tight that things that used to be rare are becoming common place now.

THe difference is that when you have someone on the ropes and you let them off the hook, you usually lose - like the Bruins did against Philly, like the caps did against us. Teams that lack the killer instinct when there's blood to be smelled, usually go down. We were up 2-0 and had the chance to lay down the hammer in Game 4 and completely crush the bruins and we let up. Yesterday, Price kept us in the game and while the Bruins did get some lucky bounces, I thought they had more sustained pressure then we did. Thomas really only made one big save in double OT, but Price was clearly the better goalie and had the tougher stops. If GIonta got off a better shot, or put it upstairs last night, it was game over, instead Thomas is a hero. But bottom line is our defensive zone coverage was far worse then the bruins and we had a lot less sustained pressure then the bruins. Not because they are better then us, but because more guys showed up for them then they did for us last night.

I'm hoping they come back, but I'm not confident they'll come back. Certainly not without JM making some serious adjustments, like NEVER seeing Moen on the top two lines again this year (as well as never seeing him in a habs uniform after this year), Ditto with the already much maligned Gomez. On defense, unless Wiz is hurt and unable to go, you can't have Spacek AND Sopel in the lineup. I'd much rather see guys like Weber and Pouliot inserted in. Yes Pouliot hasn't done anything for almost a month and a half, but what had Ryder done until Game 4??? You have to go with skill. Hell, I'd even dump Gomez for Pouliot at this point. The PP has sucked and Weber is a guy who could add a spark to the PP - particularly if Wiz is not ready to go.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

The notion of dropping Gomez for Pouliot is absurd. I do think the team or JM or both need to make a change, and that change is around line changes. How many times have the habs had a chance turn bad because the players peeled off instead of going for the chance. Gomez, actually bitched his linemates out for it, and as well he should. They don't even try to make changes in the opponents zone, that leads to more possession for the Bruins, more offensive time for the Bruins, more shots for the Bruins.

Cammy/Plek/AK

Gionta/Gomez/Des

Halpern/Eller/Darche

White/Pyatt/Moen

I really like those lines, I am no hockey guru so I'm not sure if the wingers are correct.

As for the D...they need to stop these back passes, all it's doing is giving the Bruins more time to forecheck.

Pk/Gill

Hammer/Wiz

Weber/Sopel

The hit count is how many times you hit, not how much damage you do. Our D is being bashed into next week. This causes turn overs, etc. They dump the puck as soon as they get it. Our guys bounce off their D. We have made some nice hits, but not enough to do any real damage.

Chara got hurt falling on Des and getting a skate in the gut. I don't see their D looking exhausted.

In the goal department, their big forwards are in front of Price far more often then ours are in front of Thomas. They big D have been keeping our forwards to the outside.

This advantage adds up over 4 to 7 games.

I am not saying we have to have big, slow players, but we need a few bigger guys mixed in. Pacs would even be an improvement. As for their lack of speed, they don't seem to have any trouble going around our slow D. How many times last night did a guy go right in on Price. Our D is old and hurting and it shows as the games wear on.

These last 2 games have one been one goal wins for the Bruins. Not exactly indicative of a team that is vastly superior to the Habs.

In what some may consider *typical* fashion I fully expect that we'll get a break and win on Tuesday. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Habs win by 2 goals or more.

Now is not the time to give up on these guys. Last nights game was close and Halpern of all people gets the tying goal. That alone flies in the face of the notion that we only have a couple good offensive players, every Hab on the ice can be a threat. Not to mention that the analysts had Boston in 4 or 5.

They were all wrong and now we're starring down the barrel of game 6. A 3-2 series is much better than 3-1. A rather shallow hole that we should be able to dig ourselves out of.

Montreal is a solid team.

A team that makes mistakes but ultimately comes together when the chips are stacked.

Tuesday, facing elimination, we will shut down Boston and prove the doubters wrong.

This series is going to seven.

Edited by BrenDittero

You know, that idiot Michel Bergeron remarked between the first and second OT that this was a game neither team deserved to lose. He was right. That we lost came down to breaks and bounces (including the injury to DD, so typical of this season to have a hot hand go down), NOT to the intrinsic superiority of the Bruins. Just as I said going into this series, the Bruins had to be rated marginal favourites, but we would be fully value, win or lose. We should be proud of our boys for getting stronger as the game progressed and for ultimately giving us one hell of a hockey game. As disappointing as the outcome was, I can't summon any rancour toward the team for an all-around gutsy performance, nor can I begrudge the Bruins the win. They were great too. This was an honourable victory and an honourable defeat on both sides.

Where does this leave us? Well, I remember (I think it was) the 1990 Habs losing two straight games in OT in Beantown and going on to lose the series. That was a team with superb leaders like Carbo, Roy and Skrudland. My point is that the Habs have suffered two consecutive heartbreakers - games that, with a different bounce or two, they would have won - and that it's very hard for teams to recover from that. So I say Boston wins Game 6.

As for what we do going forward, that's a thread for another day. But I'm with those who thinks this team is close to being really good. And I will point out that it seems slightly odd to talk about not re-signing Gill when the guy played something like 40 superb minutes last night. :wacko:

And Eller was phenomenal last night. Hitting everything that moved and being continuously effective on offence. I think the Habs will probably hold on to Gomez for one more year mainly to protect Eller and allow him to continue to grow. We are seeing the future of our #2 C position develop before our eyes.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I'm off to Denver on a business trip today and don't return until Wednesday.

Anyone know if there is coverage of the Habs-bruins series in colorado?

It doesn't look as if Versus has either Game 6 or 7 although they aren't listed as the broadcaster for any of the Game 6 or Game 7 contests. If they do the game, you should be alright to catch it on TV.

It doesn't look as if Versus has either Game 6 or 7 although they aren't listed as the broadcaster for any of the Game 6 or Game 7 contests. If they do the game, you should be alright to catch it on TV.

Thanks for the info. this is why i don't get why the NHL doesn't sign with ESPN. Yes, the package may be for less, but they are going to get much better exposure. Instead Bettman just appeases Snyder. It seems like all decisions affecting the game are made by Jeremy Jacobs and Ed Snider :angry2:

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I don't think there are lingering psychological feelings in the Habs and Bruins dressing rooms that give Boston the advantage in Game 6. I think it is just two equal teams going against each other again. Just like the other 5 games, it could go either way.

Boston has to win 1 out of 2. Montreal has to win 2 in a row. That gives Boston a 75% chance of winning the series and Montreal a 25% chance.

Edited by BTH

I feel so bad for Price, he played the best goaltending game I've seen in a long time , but because we couldn't get him the goal nobody will remember it,they need to get this one back for him

The best of 7 series just got reduced to a best of 3 and the Bruins barely managed to win game 1 in double overtime.

I don't see any evidence that gives Boston better chances for a win in game 6

I also can't understand the rationale of Habs fans writing off Montreal on home ice in an elimination game.

If we take all the games these two teams have played against each other this season it's: MTL 6 BOS 5

AT BEST the only fair statement is that game 6 could go either way......and probably not by much.The Habs have shown that they can dig themselves out of much deeper holes than this. Just wait for it.

I am optimistic that we will be greeted with this on Wednesday morning:

GDT: Game 7 Habs @ Bruins Apr 27, 2011

Edited by BrenDittero

I don't think there are lingering psychological feelings in the Habs and Bruins dressing rooms that give Boston the advantage in Game 6. I think it is just two equal teams going against each other again. Just like the other 5 games, it could go either way.

Boston has to win 1 out of 2. Montreal has to win 2 in a row. That gives Boston a 67% chance of winning the series and Montreal a 33% chance.

Haha not to get all math on ya, but isn't it 25% chance?

Edited by bar

Haha not to get all math on ya, but isn't it 25% chance?

lol Fixed. Maybe that was my homerism showing through.

Just because it was one goal doesn't mean Boston "barely won". My worry is that was an exceptional game from Price, and we couldn't win it. Really, it was another squandered opportunity. Not sure that Price can put in two more games like that.

Worse, Des may not play in the next game and I have given up hope that Gomez will break out.

Maybe we will get a new playoff hero on Tuesday, with some unlikely contribution. If so, please hurry.

Still wish we were playing Philly... Price vs Leighton/Boucher... QED