Injury news

Commandant

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Are they not allowed to use IR for COVID-19 cases, though?

The Covid list gives you roster spot, so whats the point.

The issue teams are having is not having the cap space to call up like 5 players. 

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Just to clarify, they're on regular IR, not LTIR.  There's no cap management at all here with these placements.  When a player is out for a week, they go on IR, that's standard across the league for all general managers.

I know that about the Salary Cap for IR players and COVID protocol.

my comment was that I wondering how JG views cap management. One thought led to another

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

The issue teams are having is not having the cap space to call up like 5 players. 

This would be the case with normal injuries, too, though, if you have a lot of them, like the Habs do. Too close to the cap and you're not able to deal with those.

There is no requirement to dress 20 players, though, is there? If you have too many players unavailable and you haven't allowed for that in your cap planning, you play with a smaller team. I think NHL should do this instead of postponing games -- it would be incentive for the teams to manage the cap better and also to do a better job of keeping the players away from COVID-19 exposure.

44 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

There is no requirement to dress 20 players, though, is there? If you have too many players unavailable and you haven't allowed for that in your cap planning, you play with a smaller team. I think NHL should do this instead of postponing games -- it would be incentive for the teams to manage the cap better and also to do a better job of keeping the players away from COVID-19 exposure.

They have been doing that the last few weeks - Carolina had to play two short the other night and quite a few teams have been one short for a game which then triggers a cap-exempt recall.

Gallagher, Byron and Niku all back on the ice ... Belzile, Vejdemo and Harvey-Pinard, recalled from Laval

It will be interesting to see if NHLers not going to the Olympics impacts Price's planbs ... I admit to being amongst those who felt Cary's biggest motivation in rehab was to play enough games to convince Doug Armstrong et al that he was ready for the Olympics ... with that carrot snatched away will his focus shift to rehabbing to 100% rather than just "being ready to play" ... and might his "player assistance program" issue(s) require more focused attention? 

I was part of those who never believed the Olympics were in CP’s mind. I believe Price is more loyal to the team that most people give him credit for and for that reason I thought his priority was to get well and comeback to honour his contract 

Astonishingly, Hockey30 sort of had a the news several hours ago (reported they had been left behind in a TB hotel to isolate) but I couldn't find confirmation.

I feel for all the players missing games due to Covid (leaving aside any issue with how they caught it), but these two in particular ... Byron has worked so hard to get back on the ice and Primeau would have gotten another chance to impress JG.

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Sooooo ... Montembeault will presumably start again tonight. Or will they give McNiven another shot?

Montembeault starts tomorrow and I'm pretty sure it'll be him getting the nod Saturday as well before the Habs hit their unplanned bye week.  McNiven is having a terrible season in Laval and it'd be hard to justify playing him.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Montembeault starts tomorrow and I'm pretty sure it'll be him getting the nod Saturday as well before the Habs hit their unplanned bye week.  McNiven is having a terrible season in Laval and it'd be hard to justify playing him.

Given the revised expectations for this season ... it might absolutely be the right thing to start McNiven (1/2 to 3/4 tongue-in-cheek).

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That's 13 on the list, is it not? Need two more forwards for tomorrow night, but maybe Drouin can play? Plus any others that go positive before the game.

Drouin practiced today.  Hillis is in Gallagher's spot and would make his NHL debut if Gallagher can't go tomorrow.  If Gallagher is unavailable, they're out of available players from the taxi squad unless they fly some people in today.  I know flying people in to sit for a game isn't ideal but with how frequently players are entering protocol, it'd be a pretty big risk to not do it.

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Drouin practiced today.  Hillis is in Gallagher's spot and would make his NHL debut if Gallagher can't go tomorrow.  If Gallagher is unavailable, they're out of available players from the taxi squad unless they fly some people in today.  I know flying people in to sit for a game isn't ideal but with how frequently players are entering protocol, it'd be a pretty big risk to not do it.

And there are no D-men available (already with the team), either, are there?

Hopefully Montembeault and McNiven are being super cautious ...

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And there are no D-men available (already with the team), either, are there?

Hopefully Montembeault and McNiven are being super cautious ...

Correct - the six they have are the only available options with Guhle/Xhekaj being recallable still.

Regarding the goalies, if one of them tests positive today, they'll be turning to one of Florida's EBUG's for tomorrow afternoon.

Also worth noting, Baddock's positive was from yesterday's test that they just got the results for today. 

Gallagher has been downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow although Drouin is expected to play according to Ducharme.

With less than 23 hours before the puck drop ... the logistical challenge of getting Guhle from Edmonton to Florida may prove overwhelming. Unless they have already set the wheels in motion for either him or Xhekaj.

Aren’t they going into “by week” shutdown due to the home games Bering  cancelled ?

and how can they decide to not play home games even if the were allowed by government?

seems to ne they just said “too expensive without fans! $$crevv this !”

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Aren’t they going into “by week” shutdown due to the home games Bering  cancelled ?

and how can they decide to not play home games even if the were allowed by government?

seems to ne they just said “too expensive without fans! $$crevv this !”

Yes the NHL is clearly prioritizing the money with the Canadian city games being postponed to February (or later) and hoping that Omicron burns itself out and fans can return. 

The players association is fine with this as they are interested in the money as well. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Yes the NHL is clearly prioritizing the money with the Canadian city games being postponed to February (or later) and hoping that Omicron burns itself out and fans can return. 

The players association is fine with this as they are interested in the money as well. 

The NHLPA is absolutely on board ... the new CBA extension has a clause about players repaying a portion of "Covid losses" by the owners through salary escrow ... every game played without fans, or even reduced capacity, reduces league revenues and delays any eventual increase to the salary cap.