Leafs vs Habs, Oct. 22, 7 PM

dlbalr

Well, since I started this thinking positively, I may as well continue with some positives here:

- Eller looked terrific out there while playing his natural role at C

- All 4 centres were +50% on the draw

- Moen (who now has the credit for what was originally Gorges' goal) had a very strong game

- There was worse officiating than what we saw in this one...watch the MLB highlights tomorrow to see what I mean.

Also, unrelated to this game but I think we may see a coach get the axe tomorrow as Columbus blew a lead with less than a minute left in regulation, coughing up 2 to Ottawa in the last 36 seconds.

ONly reason Eller is playing center is Gomez is injured, otherwise the idiot penguin would still have him on the wing. Same as last year with Subban. If habs don't lose Gorges and SPacek last year, the Penguin wouldn't have been forced to play him and I doubt if Subban would have turned things around, since he wasn't going to get a chance.

I wish in hell the coach to get fired is JM -but won't be holding my breath. I sure hope the habs don't wait like NJ did before they axed MacLean, because its going to be too late.

OMG! I don't like Martin anymore. He just got asked the reason behind having Darche on the PP and Cole on the bench, and he laughed! Said he looked at Cole's PP stats last year, and then made up his mind.

Ugh, I don't like Martin AT ALL anymore.

And even JM is talking about the D being inexperienced. I've been watching each game so far, and the new D are fine, they've looked better that Georges and Gill! And last I check weber was +4.

JM has to go.

I heard that as well. Too bad the idiot media there didn't follow up asking about a comparsion of AK46, MaxPac's power play stats or the fact that Eller, DD have a lot more potential then Darche does. I'd also like somebody to ask why a career 4th liner like Moen is constantly on the top two lines.

Martin said: "Look at Cole's production last year" Yeah well, he still has more PPG than Darche.

As you said, it makes no sense to sign a player big bucks just to play him on the 4th line. The only logical explanation I see is that they give him time to learn the complicated system the Habs play. But, by the results so far this season, that wonderful system doesnt work.

First question i have is whether the habs actually have a system. Secondly, collapsing down low is not a very complicated system. Its a pre-lockout system that works if your goalie stands on your head and does allow room for much errors.

I agree that Darche shouldn't be on the PP ahead of those guys, I just don't think Cole is the answer.

The PP units, should be IMO.

Kostitsyn - Pleks - Cammy

Subban - Weber

Kosty has always been good on the PP in the role of digging pucks out of corners and standing in front of the net. This has been his role on the Habs PP as far back as 2007-08 playing with Kovalev and Pleks.

Second unit.

Pacioretty - DD/Eller - Gionta

Diaz - Emelin

Go with whichever centre is doing better that night and the last two nights, its been Eller by far.

Darche is not a PP answer, but neither is cole IMO.

If you insist on using Pleks on the point, put Gio on the first unit, and both centres on the second.

i like it all but i believe we need to use 2 same handed players on the point so i'd go

kosty(gionta)left plex(DD) down low camm(pacioretty) half boards

subban(for 2 minutes)Left weber(diaz) Right

upon the return of markov

markov--emelin 2 lefties

I agree with all the PP stuff... but as for Moen, he did have 2 goals tonight and is leading the team with 4 overall. Why complain about his line.

Moen - Eller - Kosty was our best line tonight....

Moen has been scoring early, but do you think he is actually going to continue to produce? I'd much rather have a true sniper with them. I'd like to see the following options for lines:

Option 1:

MaxPac-Eller-DD

Ak46-Pleks-Cammy

Gionta-Trotter-Cole

Moen-Enquist-Darche

Option 2:

Maxpac-DD-Gionta

Cole-Pleks-Cammy

AK46-Eller-Trotter

Moen-Enquiest-Darche

PP unit 1:

Ak46-Pleks-Cammy

Subban-Weber

PP unit 2:

MaxPac-eller-Gionta

Subban-Diaz

Other than Savard, I think you and I have all the same Habs heroes. Well played, sir!

You didn't like Serge Savard the inventor of the original savardian spinorrama?

The only positive is if the season ended today we'd have a pretty good shot at 1st overall pick.

with our luck, we would probably pick another Wickeneiser over a savard or this would end up being a draft like the lousy 1996 draft.

i like it all but i believe we need to use 2 same handed players on the point so i'd go

kosty(gionta)left plex(DD) down low camm(pacioretty) half boards

subban(for 2 minutes)Left weber(diaz) Right

upon the return of markov

markov--emelin 2 lefties

Upon the return of Markov, I put him on the first unit and try him with Subban... and if that doesn't work Emelin.

There is room to change a lot when he returns.

with our luck, we would probably pick another Wickeneiser over a savard or this would end up being a draft like the lousy 1996 draft.

This draft looks amazing right now.

I was too mesmerized by the Big Bird. ;-)

The big bird was my favourite as well. QUite honestly, i started appreciating Savard after seeing older habs games on the classic NHL network and from getting to see videos of old habs games during the lockout year.

Upon the return of Markov, I put him on the first unit and try him with Subban... and if that doesn't work Emelin.

I haven't really been following prospects - and there hasn't been the crosby/oveckhin/Tyler vsl Taylor stories yet. BUt in any event, the only way I want the habs to have a #1 pick is if they engineer a trade like the one that allowed them to draft Lafleur or Wickeneiser (although not pick Wickeneiser :nuts: ). I'm having a hard time watching the losing right now, I couldn't take a whole year of this shit!!!

Totally agree about Markov and Subban. ALthough if the penguin is still around - and i'm afraid he probably will be, I doubt if the penguin will leave them together. Getting Markov back would allow him to punish Subban for not being as effective this year and making mistakes that no 23 year old defenceman should :bonk::blush:

By amazing, I mean the depth in this draft is unreal.... At the top not sure it has a Crosby/Ovechkin but Nail Yakupov vs Mikael Grigorenko is very good... at a Taylor Hall vs Tyler Seguin level. Same Winger vs Centre dynamic as well.

Still though, the draft is gonna be real, real deep in the first round.

unless you want them to play pass between each other it will be hard for them to set up a one timer unless you put them both on there off point.... but why would anyone in there right mind wanna move markov when he is one of if not the best PP "QB" in the league from that left point... just put anyone with an accurate left handed slapper and were golden!! he has had a revolving door at that right point and they've all succeded!!!

i stand with markov- emelin// subban-weber

remember: a qb and a shooter!! same handed!

I'd try him on his off point.... the only time he has ever been tried on the RP was when we put Tanguay at the Left point and asked Tanguay to be the QB and Markov the main shooter.

Markov would still QB the PP, he'd just do it from the other side of the ice.... and Subban would be the main shooter, with Markov taking the occasional shot.

The setup would be similar to what we had with Wiz/Subban only Markov is LH instead.

Plenty of teams use LH/RH on their off sides to set up dual one timers on the PP and use it successfully too. In fact its probably the more preferred traditional option to having two guys who shoot the same way.

If it doesn't work, you can move to Markov-Emelin later, bu I'd want to see it before saying it wont work.

Cole has scored 184 goals in this league... 43 of them were scored on the PP.

While he isn't a huge PP goal scorer, his role has changed to "front of the net guy". How many goals were scored with him screening, not getting a point at all?

Darche is a good "front of the net guy", but playing him exclusively in that role when we AK and Cole is dumb, imo. I think JM doesn't like Cole, or is not happy with him. Perhaps he thinks the system is stupid (I agree with him), or maybe they just clash, but JM seems determined to limit Cole's contribution.

As others have said, if not for injuries, PK would have sat on the bench most of last season.

I'd try him on his off point.... the only time he has ever been tried on the RP was when we put Tanguay at the Left point and asked Tanguay to be the QB and Markov the main shooter.

Markov would still QB the PP, he'd just do it from the other side of the ice.... and Subban would be the main shooter, with Markov taking the occasional shot.

The setup would be similar to what we had with Wiz/Subban only Markov is LH instead.

Plenty of teams use LH/RH on their off sides to set up dual one timers on the PP and use it successfully too. In fact its probably the more preferred traditional option to having two guys who shoot the same way.

If it doesn't work, you can move to Markov-Emelin later, bu I'd want to see it before saying it wont work.

the Tanguay experiment failed miserably and markov was back to were he's best!!! picking players out with super accurate passes to the point man/ cross ice to the circle (ala kovy) and then down the boards to set up the cross crease pass....

if it ain't broke don't fix it! let markov qb the first wave and maybe the habs should think of keeping subban on the right to QB the 2nd unit with weber's one timer on the left like he did so successfully in Belleville and amazingly with my Bulldogs!!!

i just want our Beloved Habs to win and shake this funk there in!!

obviously Markov wont be back until Thurs Nov 17 against the islanders so we could be out of contention by then if we don't get a minimum 6 of 8 points this week, so this could all be for nothing!!!

did anyone else notice how dominate Pacthes, Cole and DD were for a few shifts there. It appeared to me that Cole is starting to get Mad and that is a good thing. I have a feeling he will be better from now on.

I also have a feeling that someone is going to get traded and dont be surprosed if its Cammy or Gio. we need a big minutes Dman now, I am thinking a bouwmeester type. It would help alot....are you hearing this Goat, make it so

also fire JM already he is not the right coach for this team, we need a coach that wants to play barn burning hockey I think we have a team that can play that kind of game.....Fast North/south, forget this terrible system it is not working and it will never work with this team unless Carey plays every game perfectly and I dont think he can do that.......

Sorry about the rant, just getting a little fed up, its gonna be a long week boys.

Team needs a shake up, or wake up call. On that I agree. Gill looked like a tree at times last night, one play stuck out like a sore thumb. It was the Leaf PP were he was standing still on the blue line while the leafs went around him, 3rd period. If you ain't moving you are a pilon! However I am not blaming him. The team as a whole has no confidence and with that they are not playing any system. Do they have one? Well unless my memory is going they did by the end of last season. Where is it now? Nobody is buying in to it. Early coaching changes are knee jerk reactions, but sometimes are the answer, however who is available to replace JM? He is a good coach but as has been said we are missing the middle man between him and the team, Muller. Time to replace some assistant coaches maybe.

Ok, now to be positive about the current situation. We are dead last in the east, however we have 1 game at hand on both TB and Fla and a win over Fla on Monday and we are one win behind them with a game at hand still. No season is won or lost in Oct. If it was Toronto would be the elite team of the league as they always seem to start out great but then miss the playoffs they were 4-2-1 this time last year. Did that matter come spring? No. We call it Indian summer, the Leafs haven't begun to fall yet but we know come spring the leafs will be out again.

No my friends and the rest of y'all, I am not in panic mode yet. I know something has to happen to wake up this squad and hope they find the solution within themselves.

We are 4 points out of a playoff spot. If we fall to 6 points back, the situation becomes next to terminal in my opinion. Yes, it's 'early,' yes, Markov is (supposedly) coming back soon. But we will spend the next 75 games without a buffer. One more significant injury or significant stretch of bad luck and it's goodnight Irene. We are turning out to be this season's New Jersey Devils: a team that nobody expected to flame out, that nevertheless does.

Martin is in trouble. His remark about Cole's PP numbers in Carolina, coupled with Cole's remark that Martin has never spoken to him, are damning, suggesting a coach who is testy, over-thinking the obvious (and it *is* obvious we should have handed Cole a top-6 role and let him play his way out of it, if that was what's going to happen, rather than treat him like a rookie who has to 'prove' his worth), and who is defensive about his authority. None of this matters if the team plays well, but with the season on the brink, one does not get the sense right now that JM is in a position to rally the troops.

IF we lose in Florida, one of two things needs to happen. One, Gauthier needs to get a second-tier offensive defenceman in here who can help the power play. I don't care how he does it, as long as it doesn't involve Subban or MaxPac or a high pick. Or, JM needs to get the axe. But the replacement is a tough call. It would not astound me to see Mr. Fix-It Gainey stepping in on an interim basis.

Should we fire JM, the assumption has to be that a new coach can generate enough energy to keep the team viable until Markov and Campoli come back. Otherwise, the basic problem of an impotent PP will remain in the new coach's hands. So I'd really prefer to see SOMETHING done to get a guy in to help the PP, rather than fire Martin. But I have a feeling that decapitating a coach is an easier option than swinging a trade...especially if Gainey is willing to step in.

A win in Florida would keep us hanging in and defer the moment of decision for another game.

did anyone else notice how dominate Pacthes, Cole and DD were for a few shifts there. It appeared to me that Cole is starting to get Mad and that is a good thing. I have a feeling he will be better from now on.

I also have a feeling that someone is going to get traded and dont be surprosed if its Cammy or Gio. we need a big minutes Dman now, I am thinking a bouwmeester type. It would help alot....are you hearing this Goat, make it so

also fire JM already he is not the right coach for this team, we need a coach that wants to play barn burning hockey I think we have a team that can play that kind of game.....Fast North/south, forget this terrible system it is not working and it will never work with this team unless Carey plays every game perfectly and I dont think he can do that.......

Sorry about the rant, just getting a little fed up, its gonna be a long week boys.

That would never happen with JM - Bouwmeester didn't like the Penguin in Florida. while I want the penguin gone, not sure if I want Bouwmeester - very talanted no doubt, but what does it say about a guy who has NEVER made the playoffs, despite being in the league almost 10 years. I think if we did trade for him, we definitely miss the playoffs.

Team needs a shake up, or wake up call. On that I agree. Gill looked like a tree at times last night, one play stuck out like a sore thumb. It was the Leaf PP were he was standing still on the blue line while the leafs went around him, 3rd period. If you ain't moving you are a pilon! However I am not blaming him. The team as a whole has no confidence and with that they are not playing any system. Do they have one? Well unless my memory is going they did by the end of last season. Where is it now? Nobody is buying in to it. Early coaching changes are knee jerk reactions, but sometimes are the answer, however who is available to replace JM? He is a good coach but as has been said we are missing the middle man between him and the team, Muller. Time to replace some assistant coaches maybe.

Ok, now to be positive about the current situation. We are dead last in the east, however we have 1 game at hand on both TB and Fla and a win over Fla on Monday and we are one win behind them with a game at hand still. No season is won or lost in Oct. If it was Toronto would be the elite team of the league as they always seem to start out great but then miss the playoffs they were 4-2-1 this time last year. Did that matter come spring? No. We call it Indian summer, the Leafs haven't begun to fall yet but we know come spring the leafs will be out again.

No my friends and the rest of y'all, I am not in panic mode yet. I know something has to happen to wake up this squad and hope they find the solution within themselves.

By what definition is he a good coach. The penguins regular season record is 601W, 549L, 119L. Hardly good an impressive record. He's won over 600 games, but lost well over 500 games. Not what i'd consider a hall of fame coach even if you ignore his utter failure and inability to win in the playoffs (to me winning is winning the cup).

He was NEVER going to get another coaching job, if Gainey didn't come knocking. Florida was thrilled to dump him as their GM when Gainey made the number four and number five all time WORST decisions in canadians history in one summer when he traded for gomez and signed Martin (#1 being passing over Bowman for the GM job, #2 trading Roy, #3 Corey hiring Houle/Tremblay).