#13 Montreal Canadiens @ New York Rangers, 7pm

Commandant

Yes - still hope!

Making it close... if the refs had stopped the crap and called it fair in the 3rd....

Let's see if we can pull this out and tie up the game... then on the way off the ice, have Darche spear Tim Peel in the gut..

I'd be all for that - especially if Darche gets suspended for 10-15 games. That would be one way to make sure he isn't on the PP anymore :D

how do you not put the goalie back in for a centre ice faceoff penguin????????

Send a tape to the league??

Like Bettman is gonna care that a Canadian team was screwed by the Refs giving a win to a team from the big apple.

Tim Peel will probably get a bonus for this game.

Anyways... someone else take over GDT duties now that we lost... plus I'm leaving for a week without internet access starting in the morning.

Crap...

Still, if not for the reffing, we win this one. I hope the Habs send a tape to the league... this game was a disgrace.

no one on the habs managment have the balls to rock the boat.

I think the penguin is going to set a record for the most too many on the ice penalties in a season

Last I checked, too many men penalties occur when a player jumps on the ice, not a coach. Sure, Martin (and that is his name, you've made your point with your nickname already) deserves some blame but it's up to the players to be aware of the situation as well.

no one on the habs managment have the balls to rock the boat.

I was being sarcastic earlier... but most teams when they do this... actually do it privately.

For every ref blasting we see in the media... there are at least a dozen or more complaints to NHL offices without us hearing a peep.

With the fact that 0 rumors ever get out of the fort knox that is the Habs offices under both Gainey and Gauthier, I don't expect us to hear about this, but I bet complaints will be made, especially over the 5 on 3, and the PK penalty.

Oh, and my stat of the game: Blunden played 49 seconds and had 0 official hits. That unofficial hit was a pretty good one though...

With Nokaleinen out Habs seemed to drop to 3 lines.... Darche's minutes were pretty much all special teams.

Last I checked, too many men penalties occur when a player jumps on the ice, not a coach. Sure, Martin (and that is his name, you've made your point with your nickname already) deserves some blame but it's up to the players to be aware of the situation as well.

The too many on the ice penalty is one that at the end of the day, the coaching staff has to address. Considering the number of these that the habs take, the coaching staff has to be held accountable for not addressing this type of penalty.

There were a few careless penalties but come on, 9 friggin minors! One of those games where you can actually say the refs screwed us. If this game had of went 4 periods, Habs would have won. Cole had some good chances to bury a couple and a few posts were hit. All in all a decent back to back road game played. It looks like things might be turning around.

Can't feel mad about this game. The Habs hit 3 posts and played shorthanded 7-5 most off the night.

The fact that they made a game of it with only two powerplays and without being allowed to gain any momentum shows that the team is playing really well right now.

I hope they build on this game rather than get derailed by it.

Can't feel mad about this game. The Habs hit 3 posts and played shorthanded 7-5 most off the night.

The fact that they made a game of it with only two powerplays and without being allowed to gain any momentum shows that the team is playing really well right now.

I hope they build on this game rather than get derailed by it.

I'll agree with that. They are going to be in tough against a hot goalie next game, so they really need to start burying the chances. Even with the crap reffing, they could have won if they finished on the opportunities they did get.

Well, listened to many trying to explain why the reffing last night was all correct. On the first one, people are trying to quote a rule about a benched player interfering in the play. That rule specifically states a benched player is one with at least one foot still on the bench, in the door, etc. This also includes the penalty box.

Of course, if you are a benched player, then there is not too many men on the ice. ;) The replay clearly shows that Blunden was 5 feet from the bench when the hit occurred. This rule does not apply. The replay does show Cole 5 feet from the bench when Blunden stepped on, so I have no issue with the too many men.

Now two players jump Blunden and they didn't get an instigator. This is refs discretion. He chose not to give a penalty, even knowing that he was going to give a double to Blunden for interference and too many men. It sure seems to me that Tim Peel was deliberately giving it to the Habs, like a ref tossing one guy in a scrum to warn the teams to settle down. I didn't see anything to warrant this message going to the Habs. It was simply a clean hit, didn't even hurt the guy.

Second controversy was the "snowing the goalie" penalty. People have defended this as a crackdown this year on that kind of play. They imply that Subban did something intentional and that he snowed the goalies face. He might have been late in stopping, but keep in mind that Lundquist had bobbled the puck several times. The replay also shows that at worse, he snowed his pads as Lundquist was not snowed in the upper body.. .

So why does Tim Peel decide to call this, after a very one sided game in which even Torts commented that the next call would come to his team. Hmm... Well, if the Habs had been snowing Lundquist all night and had been warned to stop, then I could see it. None of that occurred. In fact, you could argue Price was the subject of worse then Lundquist. Not to the point where I would expect a penalty to the Rangers...

So twice in the game, Tim Peel stretches his "discretion" to penalize the Habs. He also calls several other softies while ignoring some blatant Rangers penalties.

Personally, I have seen this from him before. He has done this to the Habs several times in games against the Leafs. Technically, all his calls were legal (except for that interference call), but his discretion is always one sided. I personally think he is incompetent, but I also think he is biased against the Habs. He was looking to screw us last night and he did.

Note that I have watched him ref games without the habs where one team was so dirty, chippy, etc that the fans were screaming. The one team was hitting the goalie after every stop. They were slashing. There were borderline hits and fights... I didn't see his discretion being used to penalize that team. (It was philly).

So.. long story short,... my personal opinion is that Tim Peel is an incompetent boob with a bias against the Habs.. I look forward to him screwing us again in the future. Just wait for it.

• Upvote 1

Interesting analysis, brobin. I'd say that if Peel does have a bias against the Habs, that isn't because of anything as childish as their not being his favourite team or anything, but rather because he got excessive lip from us at some point, or feels there is a pattern of cheapshots/off-the-code behaviour from us. I believe that this sort of bias can and does happen. Refs don't have 'favourite or least favourite' franchises, but they do dislike certain players or groups of players, usually based on some perceived behaviour pattern.

When MaxPac head-firsted that guy into the boards for the first penalty, he may have crystallized Peel's determination to sock it to us. In any case, the reffing was ridiculous and it's better just to move on than to dwell on it.

Interesting analysis, brobin. I'd say that if Peel does have a bias against the Habs, that isn't because of anything as childish as their not being his favourite team or anything, but rather because he got excessive lip from us at some point, or feels there is a pattern of cheapshots/off-the-code behaviour from us. I believe that this sort of bias can and does happen. Refs don't have 'favourite or least favourite' franchises, but they do dislike certain players or groups of players, usually based on some perceived behaviour pattern. When MaxPac head-firsted that guy into the boards for the first penalty, he may have crystallized Peel's determination to sock it to us. In any case, the reffing was ridiculous and it's better just to move on than to dwell on it.

I am not sure about Peel.. he was an acknowledged Leaf fan, but in general, I agree with you. Refs hate a coach, or a player, for some past perceived wrong. Some guys feel a player dove and made them look stupid, so they call a dive all the time in the future...

In any case, it was my rant to feel better. I glad I got it out. :)

Yeah.. Kerry Fraser.. See, we were not biased, the Ref was either biased or brutally incompetent. He basically called a bad interference call and then missed the instigator...

Not mentioned was the BS call against Subban... I bet you won't see that called as people snow and bump Price every game all season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=379919

Kerry Fraser's take on the penalties given during the Blunden incident.

Basically says it should have been 4 on 4 and not 5 on 3. This is the first time I've seen Fraser throw another ref under the bus in his series of articles.

I had wondered if he'd go off on a tangent as he usually does when it's a BS call. Nice to see him give the proper explanation and criticism here.

I had wondered if he'd go off on a tangent as he usually does when it's a BS call. Nice to see him give the proper explanation and criticism here.

Oh, has he criticized refs before? I've only ever seen articles by him lauding the work of another referee.

Oh, has he criticized refs before? I've only ever seen articles by him lauding the work of another referee.

Nono... I've found that he usually either a) agrees and praises the refs, or b) flat out ignores the question and goes off on a tangent on one of his refereeing experiences (typically when it's an iffy call). This is the first column I've read in which he criticizes the ref's decision and states what he would have done differently.

Nono... I've found that he usually either a) agrees and praises the refs, or b) flat out ignores the question and goes off on a tangent on one of his refereeing experiences (typically when it's an iffy call). This is the first column I've read in which he criticizes the ref's decision and states what he would have done differently.

Which shows just how blatantly bad the call was. Usually refs circle the wagons with the lightest criticism, so in this particular case, I would not be surprised if more had been said/done to the refs in question behind the scenes.