Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

U lost me?

Early on, the Metropolitan Division was the joke of the league. Now they're coming on and it's the Atlantic that is struggling. Consider that for all the negativity on here regarding the team, the Habs were (I don't know whether the stat still holds true today) the top team in the division in the past 25. If the Habs, a team that many are getting frustrated with, is the best of the division over the past couple of months, how bad then is the rest of the division? I think that's what he was going for.

• Upvote 1

Early on, the Metropolitan Division was the joke of the league. Now they're coming on and it's the Atlantic that is struggling. Consider that for all the negativity on here regarding the team, the Habs were (I don't know whether the stat still holds true today) the top team in the division in the past 25. If the Habs, a team that many are getting frustrated with, is the best of the division over the past couple of months, how bad then is the rest of the division? I think that's what he was going for.

That's certainly what he was saying, and it's a valid point - I find myself continually surprised at how well the Habs are doing in the standings, relative to the product I seem to be seeing on the ice. Part of the issue may be that Price is playing so superbly that we end up getting points when our overall play would suggest otherwise; and part of it may be that the cap system has created sufficient parity that all but a few teams have structural weaknesses, as our own does, and we're one of the best of such teams. Finally, we've been healthy.

One other thing I've noticed is that teams in today's league tend, for whatever reason, to run in streaks (hot and cold). We seem to have avoided any extended cold spell where we lose (say) 8 of 9, etc., and that is probably a key to our success in the standings. Again, Price + health go a long way to explaining that.

OK, got it

5 eastern team need to all outplay the Habs till end of regular season to oust them from playoffs and odds of that happening must be very low.

Which is why Habs wont be a big seller or involved in a big in-season trade.

And Fanatics' frustrations are mostly self induced.

If you expect Habs to steamroll teams with this lineup, you will be disappointed more often than not.

Every team has weaknesses and underperforming players, but Habs are better than 20 other teams at present, not too shabby.

The habs have flittered away a 10pt cushion in their division. Interesting enough, if they ended up as the cross over team, which is not out of realm of where they are heading, they would I believe line up against Pittsburg. Tomorrows game might be an introductory salvo to the first round of playoffs. Leblanc has been called up according to insde/out, wonder is this flu-guard or something else.

Montreal is still seven points up on Detroit but Toronto has been on a five game winning streak. Of course they are going to catch up to the top three if the whole division has been average and you go on a five game winning streak. That said I don't think this is anything Toronto can sustain.

But what if THIS is Montreal's "slump?" It's basically the worst we've played all season, yet we're still solidly in a playoff spot. If the team can tighten up, get back to playing a quick-transition, tight puck-support game, we could come out of it just fine. It's amazing what having stellar netminding can do for a team in terms of helping you to scrape out unmerited points and staying afloat even in the dead zone of January.

But what if THIS is Montreal's "slump?" It's basically the worst we've played all season, yet we're still solidly in a playoff spot. If the team can tighten up, get back to playing a quick-transition, tight puck-support game, we could come out of it just fine. It's amazing what having stellar netminding can do for a team in terms of helping you to scrape out unmerited points and staying afloat even in the dead zone of January.

It just puts into perspective how god damn weird 2011-2012 was. Price was solid but not great that year and our goals allowed as a team was fifth in the Eastern Conference. Goals for was 13th but the Florida Panthers scored less goals than us and had one goal scored on them more and made the playoffs. Not to forget we had one of the best trio's in the league with Patches - DD - Cole. Yet we were still one of the worst teams in the league. It's amazing.

It also makes me think back to those early 2000 teams. Montreal seems to always have either a very good or a great goaltender. It's the one thing that has lasted from the dynasties. We never had to expect Dan Cloutier to get us to the Cup.

2011-12 was a freak event for this organization. Going back to 2008, we have consistently been a playoff team, more or less in the top third of the NHL. Even when our regular seasons were mediocre, as in 2010, we tended to have a great playoff run. The problem hasn't been being good - Habs fans still seem traumatized by the Houle era, failing to realize that we've had it pretty good for most of the last decade. The problem has been how to punch through that ceiling and go from good to great. We still haven't figured that out.

Funny, I just posted in the 'State of the Habs' thread that Price is ultimately the key to any prospects for contention. He has been incredible, Roy-like, all season. If he can keep that up and carry it into the playoffs, both this season and going forward, then we only need to be a strong team, not a great team, in order to contend. Price will determine the fate of this generation of Montreal Canadiens.

A Beaulieu might be tempting for Oil or Jets to go after?

And McTavish-Kates coming out and saying Eberle and core pieces arnt being moved, seems more bargaining rhetoric than anything else (you want a blue-chip asset, it will cost you)

But still seems interesting and I am a big fan of Eberle and what he might bring to Habs forward group.

Eberle- average 65.4pts, 4th NHL season, 23 years old, $6m/year

E Kane- 61.7pts, 5th NHL season, 22 years old, $5.25/year

A boost in skill up front at cost of top quality defense prospect +whatever makes cap fit (1st pick +Bourque+Diaz?) through till end of season.

Either seem to fit what Habs could really use, but just habfan trade proposal #1,000,000 for this year.

A Beaulieu might be tempting for Oil or Jets to go after?

And McTavish-Kates coming out and saying Eberle and core pieces arnt being moved, seems more bargaining rhetoric than anything else (you want a blue-chip asset, it will cost you)

But still seems interesting and I am a big fan of Eberle and what he might bring to Habs forward group.

Eberle- average 65.4pts, 4th NHL season, 23 years old, $6m/year

E Kane- 61.7pts, 5th NHL season, 22 years old, $5.25/year

A boost in skill up front at cost of top quality defense prospect +whatever makes cap fit (1st pick +Bourque+Diaz?) through till end of season.

Either seem to fit what Habs could really use, but just habfan trade proposal #1,000,000 for this year.

There is no way we are getting Eberle or Kane for a package the includes Bourque and Diaz. Edmonton is not interested in picks. They need a goalie and dman. The window for getting Kane is probably gone because of the coaching change, but it would probably take at least Pleks+Gorges for Kane and that's a move I'd make without blinking.

I think Eberle would cost about the same, but I would not be willing to move Pleks for just Eberle. Kane gives us the physical dimension we are lacking and has more upside. Eberle can be a game changer, but If i'm giving up Pleks, I'd want their top pick this year and exchange top picks next year and to try and make that happen, I'd add in Gorges and offer Bourque (they may actually be interested, since he is from the area) and also throw in Diaz.

There is no way we are getting Eberle or Kane for a package the includes Bourque and Diaz. Edmonton is not interested in picks. They need a goalie and dman. The window for getting Kane is probably gone because of the coaching change, but it would probably take at least Pleks+Gorges for Kane and that's a move I'd make without blinking.

I think Eberle would cost about the same, but I would not be willing to move Pleks for just Eberle. Kane gives us the physical dimension we are lacking and has more upside. Eberle can be a game changer, but If i'm giving up Pleks, I'd want their top pick this year and exchange top picks next year and to try and make that happen, I'd add in Gorges and offer Bourque (they may actually be interested, since he is from the area) and also throw in Diaz.

Not a clue what kind of package would be needed for either.

I just see Habs near bottom of G/G rank, but 11th in GA/G and seems to be most obvious weakness to be addressed, need more skill up front to contend, somehow/someway/sometime soon.

Not a clue what kind of package would be needed for either.

I just see Habs near bottom of G/G rank, but 11th in GA/G and seems to be most obvious weakness to be addressed, need more skill up front to contend, somehow/someway/sometime soon.

What's pissing me off is that with the exception of a few blips, year after year, we can't score. Particularly 5 on 5.

It's because they really have no offensive talent.

I read yesterday that of the players in the league that are 5"11 or shorter, the habs have 25% of them. Including more then the western conference combined. There is your other "big" problem.

Guest Stogey24

It's because they really have no offensive talent.

I read yesterday that of the players in the league that are 5"11 or shorter, the habs have 25% of them. Including more then the western conference combined. There is your other "big" problem.

Ya, they brought that stat up on CBC. Almost embarrassing

I keep reading Bourque to Carolina for Ruutu. I seriously hope not

this would be as dumb as PG taking on Kaberle. Haven't we done the canes enough favours???

this would be as dumb as PG taking on Kaberle. Haven't we done the canes enough favours???

It's going to be easier to move Bourque and take on salary than it is to move him for an underachieving cheaper player. I suspect a lot of any Bourque trade talk will revolve around those types of players (expect Martin Erat's name to creep up as well).

It's going to be easier to move Bourque and take on salary than it is to move him for an underachieving cheaper player. I suspect a lot of any Bourque trade talk will revolve around those types of players (expect Martin Erat's name to creep up as well).

it doesn't make sense to take on more expensive mistakes that are just as long. With Bourque's actual decline in salary, he may be movable to a floor team. Erat and Ruuto would be more expensive mistakes.

Hell, to get that bum of the team, we could try waiving him first. I'd rather see if we can get out of his contract for nothing, before taking on more cap space and a roster spot on another bum.

If Borque can keep playing like he has the last two, I'm fine with him being on the roster.

No you arnt!

a good game or 2 cant sway you that much can it? You have seen the first 45 games and the 13 points he had last year haven't you (don't care he had concussion, it happens which really sucks too bad but possibly retire, or get medical help if still rattled, but if gonna dress he needs to do something)

The good thing about the Carolina rumour is that it has MB willing to deal the Human Turd to a team in the East. Unlike the earlier rumours suggesting he was focused only on western teams in case this slug could somehow come back and "hurt" us. Hurt us how? By making the Habs fall asleep from boredom while playing him?

Habs29's point about not taking back another POS is well-taken, but of course in the real world things don't always fall into place just as we'd like. You can approach all the "cap floor" teams you want, but if they have no interest in the Human Turd, you're stuck either keeping him on your roster or taking a flyer on a new "problem" player who you just have to hope will be rejuvenated by the change of scenery.

Guest Stogey24

No you arnt!

a good game or 2 cant sway you that much can it? You have seen the first 45 games and the 13 points he had last year haven't you (don't care he had concussion, it happens which really sucks too bad but possibly retire, or get medical help if still rattled, but if gonna dress he needs to do something)

I know, I was just praying that after being scratched Bourque would wake up.

Last year, San Jose (while in a playoff spot) traded away Douglas Murray, Michael Handzus, and Ryan Clowe - UFA veterans that could help a playoff team. Their GM acknowledged that some youth needed to be promoted, and they were too old and slow.

This year, Montreal (while still in a playoff spot) should be trading away UFA veterans that could help playoff teams, and promote youth. But while San Jose had a speed problem, we have a physicality and leadership problem.

I would in no way miss Bouillon and Briere (though I'd prefer him to Desharnais), and Bergevin should really consider looking at getting high return for Gionta and maybe even Markov.

I wouldn't miss Giaonta, Briere, DD, Boullion, Gorges, Murray, Diaz, (although he has played well) Moen (again playing well) but the Sharks were better off when they moved the older vets. This team is focusing on the future, move these players to acquire younger picks and players with more size.