Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

My thoughts:

Evans:  On a serious wildcard contender or better, an expensive 4C

Ylonen:  4th liner, but lacks "true" 4th line edge

RHP:  solid 4th liner

Gignac:  4th liner from what little I've see thus far

Mesar:  unknown, has shown some promise but Beck is scoring at an ever so slightly higher pace

Farrell:  hasn't shown much in the AHL this season

Kidney:  4th liner from what he has shown thus far

Beck:  unknown, but promising 

Mesar and Beck might fight it out for the 3C in a couple of years, but then again might not ... I see the rest as 4th liners or AHLers, unless they "sprout" ... but the Habs can't plan on "sprouting".

Mesar is a winger in the pros IMO.  Beck is a centre.

Look right now we dont have enough top 9 forwards... or even enough top 6 guys.  

Id add more and not worry about having too many.  If that becomes the issue we can cross that bridge but with so many unknowns from Dach to Newhook to the prospects etc... not a bad idea to add a guy who can play a two way game and score 60 points.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Mesar is a winger in the pros IMO.  Beck is a centre.

So Beck MAY be competing with someone for the 3C job in a couple of years.

How about David Savard to Dallas for Radek Faksa (makes the cap work and Dallas gets to dump an overpriced 4th liner), Mavrick Bourque and Stars 2025 first rounder.

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

So Beck MAY be competing with someone for the 3C job in a couple of years.

I think Beck MAY be competing for the 3C job next year. Now if we could dump Dvorak's contract (might be wishful thinking) then I would change MAY be to WILL be competing for the 3C job next year. The odds are he will spend a year in Laval but I expect him to be a regular the year after next at the latest.  I MAY be an optimist when it comes to Beck. 

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

How about David Savard to Dallas for Radek Faksa (makes the cap work and Dallas gets to dump an overpriced 4th liner), Mavrick Bourque and Stars 2025 first rounder.

I would make that trade in a heartbeat but I am pretty darn sure Dallas won't give up that much. Bourque is having an excellent year in the AHL. That is a whole lot to get for Savard but I like it. 

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

In his draft year Bourque scored 29 goals/71 points in 42 games ... in his Draft+1 year Mesar scored 17g/51 pts in 52gms ... they are the same height but Bourque is sturdier (20+ lbs heavier; albeit two years older) ... Bourque is two years further along his development (closer to the NHL?), and 13th overall in Pts/Gm in AHL scoring ... Mesar is 19th in Pts/Gm in the OHL.

And it need not be an either or choice ... can't ever have too much talent in an organization.

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would make that trade in a heartbeat but I am pretty darn sure Dallas won't give up that much. Bourque is having an excellent year in the AHL. That is a whole lot to get for Savard but I like it. 

It is also for "dumping" Faksa's contract ... no small feat as they have supposedly been trying to move him for some time.

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Beck MAY be competing for the 3C job next year. Now if we could dump Dvorak's contract (might be wishful thinking) then I would change MAY be to WILL be competing for the 3C job next year. The odds are he will spend a year in Laval but I expect him to be a regular the year after next at the latest.  I MAY be an optimist when it comes to Beck. 

Roy had a better junior career than Beck and he wasnt ready to be in the NHL.  Let Beck spend some time in the AHL.

Checking fellow teenagers is one thing.  He will need to learn how not to be overpowered by men before hes NHL ready.

I dont want to rush him

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It is also for "dumping" Faksa's contract ... no small feat as they have supposedly been trying to move him for some time.

I get that they would be taking on 1 year of Faksa's contract (3.25M), still think that's a lot to get but would be thrilled with that deal. 

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Roy had a better junior career than Beck and he wasnt ready to be in the NHL.  Let Beck spend some time in the AHL.

Checking fellow teenagers is one thing.  He will need to learn how not to be overpowered by men before hes NHL ready.

I dont want to rush him

I don't want to rush him either and over the long term a year in Laval is most likely the best thing for him. I just think because he already excels at the defensive side of the game and some of the important details (ie faceoffs) that he has a better shot at sticking than a lot of guys fresh out of junior. The most likely scenario though is a year in Laval. 

47 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

In his draft year Bourque scored 29 goals/71 points in 42 games ... in his Draft+1 year Mesar scored 17g/51 pts in 52gms ... they are the same height but Bourque is sturdier (20+ lbs heavier; albeit two years older) ... Bourque is two years further along his development (closer to the NHL?), and 13th overall in Pts/Gm in AHL scoring ... Mesar is 19th in Pts/Gm in the OHL.

And it need not be an either or choice ... can't ever have too much talent in an organization.

Mesar needed to adapt to North America style of Hockey, and from the few goal replays I've seen he has a deadly shot and can shot in-stride which is deceiving. I was not a fan of the pick, but have grown to like him. 

Mavrick seems to be on track in his development.

I prefer Mesar because he is already with the organization so there is no need to look for a 3C.

I would use Savard +package to target a better prospect than M. Bourque and Beck since Suzuki, Dach, already have the top-two center positions and Evans seems to have cemented his position at 4C.

Habs need to improve the top 6 and I am not convinced M. Bourque can perform at an elite level.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Mesar needed to adapt to North America style of Hockey, and from the few goal replays I've seen he has a deadly shot and can shot in-stride which is deceiving. I was not a fan of the pick, but have grown to like him. 

Mavrick seems to be on track in his development.

I prefer Mesar because he is already with the organization so there is no need to look for a 3C.

I would use Savard +package to target a better prospect than M. Bourque and Beck since Suzuki, Dach, already have the top-two center positions and Evans seems to have cemented his position at 4C.

Habs need to improve the top 6 and I am not convinced M. Bourque can perform at an elite level.

Why is it Bourque vs Mesar.  The Habs would have both after this trade.

We need talent.  Not every prospect will work.  You increase your chances of one of them working by having both and letting them compete for.spots.

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I get that they would be taking on 1 year of Faksa's contract (3.25M), still think that's a lot to get but would be thrilled with that deal. 

I would throw in the Avs second rounder if necessary ... leaves Habs with no picks in the second round (currently) but "the experts" say there is a significant drop after the first 24-25 picks.

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why is it Bourque vs Mesar.  The Habs would have both after this trade.

We need talent.  Not every prospect will work.  You increase your chances of one of them working by having both and letting them compete for.spots.

Exactly Commandant.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Exactly Commandant.

Because the Habs will add to their middle-6 prospect pool without necessary improving their top talent level.

Habs need elite talent and having two middle-6 forwards doesn’t help with that. HughGort has to add higher talent instead of the shotgun approach of accumulating middle-6 prospects 

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Because the Habs will add to their middle-6 prospect pool without necessary improving their top talent level.

Habs need elite talent and having two middle-6 forwards doesn’t help with that. HughGort has to add higher talent instead of the shotgun approach of accumulating middle-6 prospects 

Getting another 1st round pick who could develop into a top 6 forward doesnt prevent you from getting an elite talent if one becomes available 

On top of that the team has 

A good first line... slaf, suzuki, caufield and everything else is a question mark.

Dach needs to stay healthy.  We dont really know what Newhook is over a long sample.  Roy, Heineman, Mesar, Beck are prospects and nothing is guaranteed.  In fact if two make it and two bust, we will have done well here. Thats quite simply not enough top 9 forwards...  saying no to a good prospect, acquired for basically nothing more than taking on a comtract (ala monahan) is silly.

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Getting another 1st round pick who could develop into a top 6 forward doesnt prevent you from getting an elite talent if one becomes available 

That is certainly true.  Getting Bourque would be a very good addition to the prospect pool. I am sure Hughes has checked into his availability already. 

We do need more elite talent up front, no question about that. Maybe the Winnipeg pick can be used to move up in the 1st round but rarely do you see a team trade down a few places near the top end of the draft. 

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

We do need more elite talent up front, no question about that. Maybe the Winnipeg pick can be used to move up in the 1st round but rarely do you see a team trade down a few places near the top end of the draft. 

When it does happen, or is proposed, it usually is part of a bigger trade, like the Subban for Draisaitl trade that fell through.  The picks aren't the main part of the trade.

I could see some draft day scenarios involving Ottawa or Columbus, with that availability of Chyrchurn or maybe Laine.  I doubt we'll be super happy with what the cost would be to acquire one of those and move up the same time.  Laine would be more realistic.

15 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Seems like a too good to be true type of offer for Montreal.  I don't think Dallas parts with Bourque in a deal for Savard.  Someone younger with more team control, perhaps, but not for 100 games (and two playoff runs) of Savard, a 2nd D piece.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

When it does happen, or is proposed, it usually is part of a bigger trade, like the Subban for Draisaitl trade that fell through.  The picks aren't the main part of the trade.

I could see some draft day scenarios involving Ottawa or Columbus, with that availability of Chyrchurn or maybe Laine.  I doubt we'll be super happy with what the cost would be to acquire one of those and move up the same time.  Laine would be more realistic.

I am not crazy about Laine anymore, really talented but seems injury prone, hasn't played over 60 games in a season since 2019-20, never mind making 8.7 m/year, tough to fit in. But that also means the cost to acquire might be significantly less. 

Never mush thought of Evans in trade? Maybe he would be a depth fit for some playoff bound team.

https://habather.ca/2024/02/15/anticipating-the-2024-trade-deadline-for-the-habs/

Another GM discovering the merits of Jake Evans.

Evans is getting hot at the perfect time, with goals in consecutive games. But he’s more than that. He’s a hard working, faceoff winning, penalty killing, low maintenance, inexpensive depth centreman. What’s not to love? In a market that is not rich with pivots, I do wonder if a clever GM or two will come asking about Evans’ availability.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Never mush thought of Evans in trade? Maybe he would be a depth fit for some playoff bound team.

https://habather.ca/2024/02/15/anticipating-the-2024-trade-deadline-for-the-habs/

Another GM discovering the merits of Jake Evans.

Evans is getting hot at the perfect time, with goals in consecutive games. But he’s more than that. He’s a hard working, faceoff winning, penalty killing, low maintenance, inexpensive depth centreman. What’s not to love? In a market that is not rich with pivots, I do wonder if a clever GM or two will come asking about Evans’ availability.

he would be great in many teams with high scoring top-6 where they need to test them instead of playing them on the PK.

I consider Evans a core piece of my rebuild, but he is probably available for the Habs given how MSL plays his lines 

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I consider Evans a core piece of my rebuild, but he is probably available for the Habs given how MSL plays his lines 

He's 27 and aside from 2021-22, hasn't been able to score much at all.  I don't think the Habs consider him a core piece of their future plans.  The 4C spot is one they'd probably like to get cheaper at.