Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Habsworld Twitter reported that he looked tired. That's what I don't like about this kid. After the injuries he's had, a conditioning stint makes a world of sense. And he requests a trade?!?! Tampa Bay is an awesome place to play. No winters, good teams, a Coach Coop seems to be a pretty swell guy.

It reminds me of Glengarry Glenross: "you think this abuse, you *****? How are you going to take the abuse you get on a sit?

If he can't handle what's going on Tampa, L'antichambre and MTs blender will eat this kid alive. He would be another French star like Latendresse, Ribeiro, Theodore. Too much too soon.

Habsworld Twitter reported that he looked tired. That's what I don't like about this kid. After the injuries he's had, a conditioning stint makes a world of sense. And he requests a trade?!?! Tampa Bay is an awesome place to play. No winters, good teams, a Coach Coop seems to be a pretty swell guy.

It wasn't our Twitter page that reported that. It may have shown up on our on-site feed but it wasn't us specifically. (Just clarifying in case anyone thinks we're getting insights from people on him - we're not.)

It's not all that surprising that he would be a bit tired in his first game back; it was only his second game in a month. I'll be curious to see how he fares in the next two games as Syracuse is in a 3-in-3 stint right now.

It reminds me of Glengarry Glenross: "you think this abuse, you *****? How are you going to take the abuse you get on a sit?

If he can't handle what's going on Tampa, L'antichambre and MTs blender will eat this kid alive. He would be another French star like Latendresse, Ribeiro, Theodore. Too much too soon.

Well now I have to think there is something wrong in Tbay, St Louis: get me outa here, Stamkos has not signed and is looking to go, Drouin: get me outa here. Maybe the grass is brown there? I don't know.

It wasn't our Twitter page that reported that. It may have shown up on our on-site feed but it wasn't us specifically. (Just clarifying in case anyone thinks we're getting insights from people on him - we're not.)

It's not all that surprising that he would be a bit tired in his first game back; it was only his second game in a month. I'll be curious to see how he fares in the next two games as Syracuse is in a 3-in-3 stint right now.

Should have specified, it was the Syracuse prospects twitter and someone probably retweeted it.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/01/11/montreal-canadiens-time-panic-carey-price-injury

That SI piece got me thinking...what about a deal involving #79? In theory, you could see a team that has a FW of similar profile (older, on the decline, but valuable in filling a structural team need) trading to acquire Markov if they have a need to upgrade their defence. Basically, a swapping of veterans.

He has an NTC, but players do waive those on a regular basis, so that shouldn't rule it out of court.

Maybe we would be crazy to trust Beaulieu to step in and eat the extra minutes. And maybe removing Markov would ironically hurt our offence, given our reliance on the transition game.

Plus, I have no idea whether such a deal exists to be made. But I'd be interested to hear thoughts about it, if anyone has some.

I don't think Markov is going anywhere...

I can see Bergevin adding something by the deadline, but I don't see him "taking away" from the team, by doing something like trading Markov. We can't afford to lose him really can we?

I don't think Markov is going anywhere...

I can see Bergevin adding something by the deadline, but I don't see him "taking away" from the team, by doing something like trading Markov. We can't afford to lose him really can we?

This is Markov's last contract and I like the old buzzard but his day has come and gone. He is not the player he once was. IF we can get something for him that increases the scoring ability on this club we have to look at it. I called for him to be traded before his last contract because I believed that he did not have 3 or 4 more good years in him. Apparently there was no deal to be made, but we now have a guy worth 2.5 taking up 5.75 cap space. Time waits for no man, no matter how much we like him.

This is Markov's last contract and I like the old buzzard but his day has come and gone. He is not the player he once was. IF we can get something for him that increases the scoring ability on this club we have to look at it. I called for him to be traded before his last contract because I believed that he did not have 3 or 4 more good years in him. Apparently there was no deal to be made, but we now have a guy worth 2.5 taking up 5.75 cap space. Time waits for no man, no matter how much we like him.

But can anyone think of a veteran FW out there, on a team that needs a still-decent offensive defenceman?

As for whether we can afford to lose Markov, the answer is: maybe. It depends on how willing you are to take a chance on Beaulieu stepping up and bringing at least some of what Markov does, offensively. There's also Barberio around if you want a 6th D-man to bring a little bit of added offensive support.

I'm not calling for Markov to be dealt, just suggesting that it's worth thinking about.

Honestly, unless something materializes for a young piece who can be here long term (ala a Drouin), i don't see us doing a thing before price comes back.

Price is due back early february.

The deadline is February 29th.

When Price comes back we will see what type of team we are. We all know we aren't the team we saw in october, but we also aren't the team we saw in December. We're somewhere in the middle... but exactly where, who knows.

If with Price back we are closer to the october team, we load up for the deadline.
If with Price back we still have these issues (or Price doesn't come back)... we sell Weise, Gilbert (UFAs) and then start selling vets with value (Markov, etc) to try and set up next year.

Ya, hopefully price can come back and score a couple goals a night

They were actually talking about this on the radio with Darren Dreger last night.

He said that his sources are telling him that when they watch the Habs they see a team with players like PK Subban taking less chances in the offensive zone with Price injured. Max Pacioretty less likely to take off from his own zone and look for a breakaway pass, and overall a team that just takes less risks because they don't have the same faith in Mike Condon to make saves if the risk goes badly, than they did in Carey Price. This leads to less goals scored.

He thinks that having price back will alleviate some (not all, but some) of the Habs scoring issues as they will be more likely to try and make that riskier pass or hold on to the puck to make a play.

They were actually talking about this on the radio with Darren Dreger last night.

He said that his sources are telling him that when they watch the Habs they see a team with players like PK Subban taking less chances in the offensive zone with Price injured. Max Pacioretty less likely to take off from his own zone and look for a breakaway pass, and overall a team that just takes less risks because they don't have the same faith in Mike Condon to make saves if the risk goes badly, than they did in Carey Price. This leads to less goals scored.

He thinks that having price back will alleviate some (not all, but some) of the Habs scoring issues as they will be more likely to try and make that riskier pass or hold on to the puck to make a play.

I've had the same thought...but the problem with this is, if that's what the guys are doing, then why the hell do we seem to have a basket-full of defensive zone howlers every game??? It's like we've managed to combine the worst of all possible worlds on the ice.

I've had the same thought...but the problem with this is, if that's what the guys are doing, then why the hell do we seem to have a basket-full of defensive zone howlers every game??? It's like we've managed to combine the worst of all possible worlds on the ice.

is it psychological effects... the guy who can't score goals so he starts "squeezing the stick" and doing worse.

The pressure to be perfect at the backend eliminating the ability to play on instinct... over thinking and getting burned?

I don't know.

Overall shots against are down, but you are right, when they give up shots, they give up glorious ones (see both pittsburgh goals).

Guest Stogey24

So what was the excuse for goal scoring last year?

Condon should be 4-0 in his last 4 starts if Montreal didn't fall apart against Pittsburgh. I don't buy into any of these excuses for these guys not scoring goals. I've watched the games and they're playing like shit because they're playing like shit. Not because Carey isnt there to hold their hand.

Condon should be 4-0 in his last 4 starts if Montreal didn't fall apart against Pittsburgh. I don't buy into any of these excuses for these guys not scoring goals. I've watched the games and they're playing like shit because they're playing like shit. Not because Carey isnt there to hold their hand.

Last year we played a shitty system that didn't generate possession or opportunities. The team isn't playing the same system now.

Guest Stogey24

Last year we played a shitty system that didn't generate possession or opportunities. The team isn't playing the same system now.

I find it hard to argue with someone who is pointing out the the good in the team, but I still see tons of neutral zone breakdowns and too many "safe plays" where they flick the puck off their glass and don't regain possession.

At the start of the year P.K and Beaulieu would do their mile high flicks, which worked because the team was working hard on the forecheck. Now, its just a turn over and the opposing team regroups and re-enters the zone.

BINGO

I find it hard to argue with someone who is pointing out the the good in the team, but I still see tons of neutral zone breakdowns and too many "safe plays" where they flick the puck off their glass and don't regain possession.

At the start of the year P.K and Beaulieu would do their mile high flicks, which worked because the team was working hard on the forecheck. Now, its just a turn over and the opposing team regroups and re-enters the zone.

Taking less chances is also committing less on the forecheck so you don't get trapped deep.

thats all part of it

I read a similar report that there were Habs scouts at the Colorado/Los Angeles game. This prior to the Lecavalier deal. I wonder if they were still scouting LA instead of Colorado. Either way, I don't see much that the Canadiens could acquire from either team. Rumor has it that Duchene is no longer on the block. Iginla said that he would not waive his NTC during the season. Doesn't leave many options that help the Habs from Colorado. Tanguay, Winchester, Skille, and Street are the only forwards with UFA status this summer. I doubt Landeskog or MacKinnon are available. Soderberg (NTC, 4yrs/$4.75) and Comeau (2yrs/$2.4) aren't having as good of seasons this year as they did last year. Aside from Grigorenko's potential, there's nothing but a bunch of bottom sixers left.

Los Angeles haven't been happy with Gaborik's (5yrs/$4.875) and Brown's (6yrs/$5.875) production. Can't see any other top 6 forward being available.

Perhaps Colorado or Los Angeles are interested in someone from the Canadiens and the Habs are simply scouting them to see if there is a deal that fits. Avs are looking for a quality defenseman. Prior to the Lecavalier/Schenn to LA deal, the Kings were looking for defense help as well.

Maybe the Habs are going to swap Tinordi for Gormley considering Gormley has already cleared waivers and can play in the minors.

Edited by John B
  • Upvote 1

I would also add that having Price back there really jump starts the offense because of his puck handling ability. Any dump in he can get to, he is able to make a tape to tape pass to the defense at the right time to break out

I would also add that having Price back there really jump starts the offense because of his puck handling ability. Any dump in he can get to, he is able to make a tape to tape pass to the defense at the right time to break out

Yeah let's go with that one.