Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

My opinion is that whoever came up with that is a Montreal fan who is guilty of wishful thinking. Yakupov is probably worth a top-5 pick in this draft and is still just 20, he's only going to get better. With all due respect to Emelin and Andrighetto, I don't think any team in their right mind would move a top-5 selection for them.

Yeah, you're no doubt right. Thing is, would anyone give up much more to get Yakupov considering his reputation, and as some suggested, his ability and maybe desire to go to the KHL in the event Edm is the place for him? Not that I believe all that crap, just was really interested in your opinion on all that Brian, if you wouldn't mind?

What about Spezza, big slick center man, very skilled. A leader. Any ideas.

Habs have said they want highly intelligent players, Spezza is out on those requirements alone, ever watch an interview with him? :blink:

:youpi:

Habs have said they want highly intelligent players, Spezza is out on those requirements alone, ever watch an interview with him? :blink:

:youpi:

So we are in dump mode? Some of our guys don't seem too bright. :scared:

Spezza apparently wants out of ottawa because he doesn't like being blamed when the team loses.

Yeah, Montreal is not gonna work.

In what I read there is quite a bit more to it than that. I also recall a guy named Sundin (Big Dummy Swede)( no offence intended for Swedes) BDS as I like to refer to him, who wanted out of Quebec cause he was tired of Losing. He went to Toronto and seemed to really enjoy his time there. In fact they had to kick him out door yelling and screaming.

What about Spezza, big slick center man, very skilled. A leader. Any ideas.

Ottawa's GM has already said they'd like to deal him out West. Even if they moved him in the East, it's highly unlikely they'd move him to one of their biggest rivals.

Yeah, you're no doubt right. Thing is, would anyone give up much more to get Yakupov considering his reputation, and as some suggested, his ability and maybe desire to go to the KHL in the event Edm is the place for him? Not that I believe all that crap, just was really interested in your opinion on all that Brian, if you wouldn't mind?

The negativity surrounding Yakupov is excessive in my opinion. Two years ago, he was considered one of the top prospects in hockey; in Edmonton, he was clearly thought of as the best option. He hasn't played well with the Oilers but who has? Getting picked by the Oilers lately has been more of a curse than anything.

I do think teams would be willing to part with high-end talent/prospects to land Yakupov. In a more structured system - or more specifically, a system that has some structure - he realistically could break out and be the player many thought he could become. Winning environments can bring out the best in a player.

To the Emelin-Andrighetto thought, if that's all it would take to get Yakupov, take it and run. Andrighetto has yet to play an NHL game and is by no means a can't-miss prospect. Emelin's a #4/5 D; while he carries some value to the Habs, he can be replaced if it means getting a potential high end talent who happens to have chemistry with the Habs' forward of the future.

At 32, Sharps' best years behind him (Likely)?

But, might be quite a catch and $6m for next 3 years is crazy; however, unlike a UFA he cant be added for free. So I think a UFA is likely the smartest way to go?

What about Sharp for Bourque? Chicago saves $2.5M in cap space to put towards signing Toews/Kane and we get a legit goal scorer.

What about Sharp for Bourque? Chicago saves $2.5M in cap space to put towards signing Toews/Kane and we get a legit goal scorer.

Straight up? Chicago would never do that. Sharp is a legitimate asset, not solely a cap dump. If they do decide to move him solely for cap saving reasons, they'll be able to pick up a good pick or prospect on top of a Bourque-type player coming back, it wouldn't be a 1-1 type of swap as you've suggested.

If they're trying to save a couple of million, I would expect them to try to peddle Versteeg (at $2.2M as an RSA) for a draft pick. It would yield the same result as your proposal while being way better for Chicago.

As I asked earlier, If Habs-Hawks have talked, what would 'realistically' be Hawk demand for Sharp?

It would take a sweet prospect/pick & player and not be as painless as just dealing a mediocre player like Bourque.

Bowman would be canned if did Bergevin that huge a favour.

One of these names would likely be part of asking price by Bowman;

Beaulieu, Tinordi, de la Rose, Fucale, Lehkonen, Hudon

But if get a 65-75 point LWer for next 3 years for $5.9/yr, got to be tempting to Bergevin, who also must know him quite well?

Gotta be careful. MB said this team is "still maturing." I'm not an expert on our prospects, but the fact that we have no W close to ready in the system - and that Colberg is gone and Bozon's future clouded - suggests that we probably shouldn't be dealing away high picks for guys who will be 33 come January. Eller, meanwhile, is presumably the guy we can sooner or later deploy as a cheaper replacement for an aging Pleks. The idea of dealing away key youth and prospects for Sharp makes me nervous. But maybe I'm suffering from an excess of caution.

Gotta be careful. MB said this team is "still maturing." I'm not an expert on our prospects, but the fact that we have no W close to ready in the system - and that Colberg is gone and Bozon's future clouded - suggests that we probably shouldn't be dealing away high picks for guys who will be 33 come January. Eller, meanwhile, is presumably the guy we can sooner or later deploy as a cheaper replacement for an aging Pleks. The idea of dealing away key youth and prospects for Sharp makes me nervous. But maybe I'm suffering from an excess of caution.

In MB exit interview he also stressed that our division is getting better around us, so standing pat is not an option. He made it clear last year that he would not trade away the future for the present. We all know, that in all likely hood, there will pretty slim pickings as far as free agents. I expect him to have to go the trade route to get a major player. Having said that, I believe he has a pretty good record of picking up incidental players that have proved invaluable.

In MB exit interview he also stressed that our division is getting better around us, so standing pat is not an option. He made it clear last year that he would not trade away the future for the present. We all know, that in all likely hood, there will pretty slim pickings as far as free agents. I expect him to have to go the trade route to get a major player. Having said that, I believe he has a pretty good record of picking up incidental players that have proved invaluable.

I think that's just lip service. Boston has a couple of years left, Tampa will falter with Bishop's regression, Detroit is weak and old, and the Laffs and Cats can't get out or their own way. The Sabres and Ottawa are headed for rebuilds. I think the Panthers are the dark horse next year. They have Bobby Lu, young talent and a ton of cash, with Bylsma on the way. I wouldn't be surprised if they were 4th next year. Oh yes...2-3 cheap playoff games!

Guest Stogey24

I think that's just lip service. Boston has a couple of years left, Tampa will falter with Bishop's regression, Detroit is weak and old, and the Laffs and Cats can't get out or their own way. The Sabres and Ottawa are headed for rebuilds. I think the Panthers are the dark horse next year. They have Bobby Lu, young talent and a ton of cash, with Bylsma on the way. I wouldn't be surprised if they were 4th next year. Oh yes...2-3 cheap playoff games!

I think your right about Florida. They have some big solid centres and now a legit goalie.

and

The idea of dealing away key youth and prospects for Sharp makes me nervous.

I hope the trade route involves veterans, not our defense prospects or key youth as CC said.... if MB is going to try and get an impact forward, I think it's going to be a younger guy, I don't think it's going to be a 30+ year old player. Wouldn't be surprised though, if a veteran RW will be acquired, along the lines of the Murray or Bouillion type signings, or Gionta resigned.

I say trade Pleks + now, for an impact RW, and let Gionta go is the logical thing to do to get younger, bigger, faster, and more skilled.... Then at least within the next year or two we could at least ice one line of say Patcioretty/Galchenyuk/new impact high scoring RW when goals dry up. We don't have a complete line of size, skill and speed/scoring, we could if MB looks at it this way....

You have heard it here LMag says that the rest of our division save Florida will fall off the face of the world.

You have heard it here LMag says that the rest of our division save Florida will fall off the face of the world.

I also heard that the Cats are trading their number one, because they have their eyes on Kasperi Kapanen. For what it's worth, I heard it from a Finnish friend who predicted Kovalev was going to sign in 2012.

I also heard that the Cats are trading their number one, because they have their eyes on Kasperi Kapanen. For what it's worth, I heard it from a Finnish friend who predicted Kovalev was going to sign in 2012.

Getting back to the point of my statement---- MB said the division will be better. I concur. Therefore we must go forward in terms of roster. We cannot Stand Pat. Just for the record---- Although most of us are high on the success this year, we didn't make it out of our conference.

Getting back to the point of my statement---- MB said the division will be better. I concur. Therefore we must go forward in terms of roster. We cannot Stand Pat. Just for the record---- Although most of us are high on the success this year, we didn't make it out of our conference.

Yep! We have the goalie to takes us to the promised land, improving the roster is needed, proof was vs Rangers.... D exposed as slow, and not physical enough....

First of all, it's blazingly obvious we need to get better. We didn't win. That's not a news-flash.

I also agree that our D was a problem against the Rags. We need another mobile top-4 guy back there. Organizationally speaking, though, we have the assets in the system that can provide this (Beaulieu is projected to become a mobile top-4 defenceman, and Tinordi's ceiling may be as high as a #4, who knows). So it depends on how patient we're prepared to be.

"Getting better" can also occur from within as existing players improve. MaxPac, PK, Gallagher, Eller, and even Bournival and Galchenyuk all learned a ton this playoff about what it takes to go from being good to being champions. I think it's important not to confuse the absence of massive roster changes with a failure to improve. With a young core, it is quite reasonable to expect improvement from the same players.

All that said, we do need to add players on the W. The D remains, as I say, a question of patience.

First of all, it's blazingly obvious we need to get better. We didn't win. That's not a news-flash.

I also agree that our D was a problem against the Rags. We need another mobile top-4 guy back there. Organizationally speaking, though, we have the assets in the system that can provide this (Beaulieu is projected to become a mobile top-4 defenceman, and Tinordi's ceiling may be as high as a #4, who knows). So it depends on how patient we're prepared to be.

"Getting better" can also occur from within as existing players improve. MaxPac, PK, Gallagher, Eller, and even Bournival and Galchenyuk all learned a ton this playoff about what it takes to go from being good to being champions. I think it's important not to confuse the absence of massive roster changes with a failure to improve. With a young core, it is quite reasonable to expect improvement from the same players.

All that said, we do need to add players on the W. The D remains, as I say, a question of patience.

You have said nothing that I can argue with other than we still are not strong down the middle. Start there, then worry about your wingers.

You have said nothing that I can argue with other than we still are not strong down the middle. Start there, then worry about your wingers.

I think this is only true if we make a fetish out of Big Hulking #1 C. Otherwise, we have internal options a-plenty. Galchenyuk, presumably, projects to be a legitimate #1 C. Eller is a tough call, but it's surely not ridiculous to think he might make a pretty good all-around 2nd or 3rd C. Both are quite young. DD is a serviceable option on an offensive line, as long as he is well-surrounded. And that's not even to mention Pleks. Therefore, centre does not seem to be an area for which we should be sacrificing assets in order to improve.