Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

I don't understand the knocking of Briere. He was a big reason we got as far as we did in the playoffs. Without him, we would have taken another game or two to finish off Tampa, and lose to Boston. He was clutch, and. reliable at both ends of the ice.

Ha

nor will he in the future he just has no place on this team. Except as a 4th liner which he not very good at.

Yep, yer right dude...

got no issue with Briere,other than $4m for bottom six vet is a bit much.

Montreal has two players that could be argued have bad contracts for what they bring in Briere and Bourque. However, neither player prevents us from making moves. Having both players still allowed us to add Vanek at full $7M cap last year and even once Subban cashes in, both players are not holding the team back. The big reason is because we have a 39 goal scorer at $4.5M long term, a 50-60 point centerman at only $3.5M and two top six forwards before their second contract (Galchenyuk and Gallagher). Our cap is extremely well handled otherwise.

I still want to get Bourque off the cap, but it'll be pretty hard when a team can just sign Mason Raymond or Lee Stempniak instead of taking a dumb Bourque contract. Hopefully his playoff performance inspires. Or maybe it inspires him to be worth his contract. I'm not holding my breath.

Montreal has two players that could be argued have bad contracts for what they bring in Briere and Bourque. However, neither player prevents us from making moves. Having both players still allowed us to add Vanek at full $7M cap last year and even once Subban cashes in, both players are not holding the team back. The big reason is because we have a 39 goal scorer at $4.5M long term, a 50-60 point centerman at only $3.5M and two top six forwards before their second contract (Galchenyuk and Gallagher). Our cap is extremely well handled otherwise.

I still want to get Bourque off the cap, but it'll be pretty hard when a team can just sign Mason Raymond or Lee Stempniak instead of taking a dumb Bourque contract. Hopefully his playoff performance inspires. Or maybe it inspires him to be worth his contract. I'm not holding my breath.

Just clarify according to nhl numbers Vanek's cap hit for Montreal was 1.179 million.

And Montreal was the only team who could afford it at the deadline.

I wouldn't know if that was true or not. I think Garth Snow backup goalie/GM really screwed the pooch on trading Vanek, and MB slipped in and got him for cheap. I am pretty sure there were other teams with cap space at that time.

I wouldn't know if that was true or not. I think Garth Snow backup goalie/GM really screwed the pooch on trading Vanek, and MB slipped in and got him for cheap. I am pretty sure there were other teams with cap space at that time.

There were other teams but those ones weren't in the hunt. New York's unwillingness to hold back any salary or take any NHL player back in the deal whittled the market down to Montreal and some non-contenders. That's how they were able to get him without parting with a 1st rounder or top prospect, none of the top teams had anywhere near that much in cap space.

There were other teams but those ones weren't in the hunt. New York's unwillingness to hold back any salary or take any NHL player back in the deal whittled the market down to Montreal and some non-contenders. That's how they were able to get him without parting with a 1st rounder or top prospect, none of the top teams had anywhere near that much in cap space.

Sounds like Classic Charles Wang to me. They need to force that guy to sell the team. Melnyk, Wang, and the Oilers' management should be kicked out of hockey

Sounds like Classic Charles Wang to me. They need to force that guy to sell the team. Melnyk, Wang, and the Oilers' management should be kicked out of hockey

He's contemplating selling 80% of the team but wants to retain a controlling interest in the day-to-day operations. I don't know how well that will go over.

like I said MB slipped in and got him for cheap. That's what counts.

Cool! Was he actually playing anywhere in the post season? I thought I saw him skate by the rink a couple of times. Does he do hand lotion commercials?

Not a rumor or anything.. just thinking out loud... but..

Would you trade Subban to Dallas for Jamie Benn and Nichuskin?

With their signings they are stacked up front, could use help on the backend.

PK is by far my favorite player. I love him. But a buddy who is a Stars fan asked me about this proposal.. and I'm torn.

PK is by far my favorite player. I love him. But a buddy who is a Stars fan asked me about this proposal.. and I'm torn.

The only player I trade PK for is Crosby.

Guest Stogey24

How is Dallas stacked up front? Those two players makeup their top line.

When it comes to biased player enjoyment the only player I think I'd enjoy as much as Subban would be Ovechkin. Otherwise any trade for him I wouldn't be happy with.

Take Ryan Suter for example. Ryan Suter is the most complete defenceman in the game. He was only 10 points less than Subban and is arguably a better defensive defenceman than anyone. Getting him would be an upgrade to Subban to everything that matters on the ice. I still wouldn't trade PK for Suter.

When it comes to biased player enjoyment the only player I think I'd enjoy as much as Subban would be Ovechkin. Otherwise any trade for him I wouldn't be happy with.

Take Ryan Suter for example. Ryan Suter is the most complete defenceman in the game. He was only 10 points less than Subban and is arguably a better defensive defenceman than anyone. Getting him would be an upgrade to Subban to everything that matters on the ice. I still wouldn't trade PK for Suter.

The trick is getting Suter to play WITH Subban... :pray:

Imagine that! Suter & PK on the ice for half the game! :surrender:

Great post. The thing is, I believe that a stud defenceman is almost always worth more than a stud FW, because defenceman patrol the back end AND lead the transition game. You've also only got six or seven of them to roll in any given game whereas you have 12 forwards. Subban has more sheer talent than any other defenceman in the game, possibly, and is already a superstar and one of the top 5 D-men in hockey. And, as you note, he is hands down the most entertaining and electrifying player in the entire sport, period. Would I trade him for Crosby? If Sid didn't have that concussion history, then yes. As it is...no.

Fact is, I wouldn't trade him for any FW in the game because there is no FW (other than Crosby) who is so dominant that he overrides the positional advantage that a defenceman has over a forward, in my view of team-building.

I might consider something like a PK-for-Doughty swap, though. Doughty is just as young and has a better resumé. That's about all I can think of.