Now that it's happened, let's ask for real, who will be our GM?

REV-G

Roy is saying right now he hasn't received a phone call.

I really don't think he's on their GM list. That being said, I doubt they have a 'coach list' either - so why the need to get in touch with him? The list of candidates with much more experience in pro hockey management would probably need to get whittled down to a few lackluster bodies before Savard would consider Roy. Besides, the GM has to hired is own coach, right?

On another note...please f___ing tell me McGuire isn't in the final 4.

the more I hear from Marc Crawford on TSN, the more I think he is the coach for us next year....i know the GM position will be filled out first but he just seems so knowlegable and approachable. And with a young team coming up I think he could be a great teaching coach.

the more I hear from Marc Crawford on TSN, the more I think he is the coach for us next year....i know the GM position will be filled out first but he just seems so knowlegable and approachable. And with a young team coming up I think he could be a great teaching coach.

If Vignault isn't let go... then I'd say Crawford or Roy (if not gm) would be the two leading coaching options.

The more I hear from Crawford on television, the more I feel he is trying to send a message to the habs that he wants the job. No way I'd want a guy who has the greatest goal scorer in NHL history sitting on the bench during a shootout in the olympics. On top of that he was part of a management team that doesn't have the greatest player in NHL history as the captain of that team in favour of "i've never ever won anything" Lindros.

• Upvote 1

The more I hear from Crawford on television, the more I feel he is trying to send a message to the habs that he wants the job. No way I'd want a guy who has the greatest goal scorer in NHL history sitting on the bench during a shootout in the olympics. On top of that he was part of a management team that doesn't have the greatest player in NHL history as the captain of that team in favour of "i've never ever won anything" Lindros.

i think your being a little hard on him...although it was kind of dumb to sit him during the shootout

The decision on naming Lindros captain was made by Bobby Clarke who was the GM of that team.

The decision on sitting Gretzky in the shootout was stupid.

I think people forget though how dominant Lindros was in 1998, he was the best all-around player in the world before he got Scott Stevens'd. I've never seen a power forward like him.

The decision on naming Lindros captain was made by Bobby Clarke who was the GM of that team. The decision on sitting Gretzky in the shootout was stupid. I think people forget though how dominant Lindros was in 1998, he was the best all-around player in the world before he got Scott Stevens'd. I've never seen a power forward like him.

Doesn't matter how dominant he was. What had he actually won??? In 2002 - Lemieux was the captain, 2006 it was Sakic and then Neidermeyer in 2010. Neither was the most dominant player in the league at the time, but had the most experience and had accomplished the most in their careers. Clarke selfishly tried to fast track Lindros for the benefit of the Flyers. The rest of the team leadership and coaching staff should have stood up to him at the time. For Lindros to be named captain on a team consisting of Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic, Stevens and Bourque was just stupidity.

• Upvote 1

I agree that sitting Gretzky in favour of Ray Bourque (!!!) was sheer lunacy, but gee whiz. Banning him from coaching the Habs on the basis of that one mistake 15 years ago seems a tad overblown.

While I'm not saying Crow is a genius, I actually like his profile a lot. He's had an extremely intense and varied coaching career, ranging from heights (Cup in Colorado) to awful lows (Bertuzzi, the Kings debacle). More than any other coach I can think of, he really has seen it all at the NHL level. This makes him more prepared to deal with the insanity of Montreal than almost anyone else. His last coaching gig, in Dallas, was under the radar, but he did a solid job with an unimpressive roster, missing the playoffs on the final day of the season. Indeed, the single biggest failing of Crawford's career has been a catastrophic inability to assess goaltending - hence his bizarre man-crush on Dan Cloutier which sunk him in both Vancouver and LA. In Montreal, that will not be an issue.

He would be a good choice.

Once again you forget that it takes a TEAM, not a single player to win a Stanley Cup.

If Philly had gotten a goalie 15 years ago they'd have won multiple Stanley Cups.

Lindros led them to the finals with a washed up Ron Hextall and Garth Snow in net.

Besides all that the guy won everything else... Mem Cups, Olympic Gold Medal, Canada Cup, 2 World Juniors, etc....

Lindros was a great player before he got hurt, its not his fault that Bobby Clarke was an idiot who never realized he wouldn't have Stanley Cup rings if it wasn't for Bernie Parent, and once he went into management he couldn't build his team the same way.

Those Philly teams were every bit the equal of New Jersey, Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, the teams that dominated in that era... in every position but 1.

If Philly had ponied up and made the Patrick Roy trade instead of the Avalanche, things would have been a lot different.

Is Doug Wilson avaiable now?

I admit that I am not familiar with Willson's work. I mean I know he has been the GM in San Jose for a while but would he be a good fit for us? He has never really won anything has he? And he has a pretty good team out there.

• Upvote 1

Heard on the radio that Mike Babcock could very well not be back with Detroit next season. If that's true, the Habs better be involved in the bidding war over him.

He's bilingual?

Babcock is not, but is constantly cited by many of those who say they want a bilingual coach as "oh but we want to win, if Babcock was our coach we wouldn't mind" so I'd love to see them put their money where their mouth is.

I admit that I am not familiar with Willson's work. I mean I know he has been the GM in San Jose for a while but would he be a good fit for us? He has never really won anything has he? And he has a pretty good team out there.

Stole Thornton, Stole Boyle from their teams.

Made a great trade for Heatley.

Made a great trade getting rid of Heatley when he declined.

Traded Vesa Toskala for 2 picks from toronto... used those picks to trade up with St. Louis and grab Logan Couture.

His biggest trade mistake was the Rivet trade with us.

His biggest non-trading mistake is that he's never gotten a money goalie for the Sharks.

Babcock was involved with McGill University (coached, played, studied, I don't remember). That could be enough to make these people swallow the pill.

Babcock was a defenceman for McGill. I don't believe he speaks any French but nobody would care.

Oh some will still care... but far fewer than spoke up about Cunneyworth... because coming out against a guy with Babcock's resume just proves you are a bigot who cares more about language than winning. You don't have the same argument that "there are french guys just as good" that you had with Cunneyworth.

What other teams would be after Babcock? If Vancouver ditches Vigneault they would be, Calgary (we'd probs beat out them) doesn't have a coach, who else?

Oh some will still care... but far fewer than spoke up about Cunneyworth... because coming out against a guy with Babcock's resume just proves you are a bigot who cares more about language than winning. You don't have the same argument that "there are french guys just as good" that you had with Cunneyworth.

I also think the French thing wouldn't have been such an issue if Gauthier didn't suck at talking to the media. If Gauthier was as vocal in French as Burke is in Stupid, nobody would have complained about Cunnyworth's language. Only his terrible coaching.