Now that it's happened, let's ask for real, who will be our GM?

REV-G

Famous McGuire Statements that he now doesn't acknowledge exist.

= The pick of Carey Price was straight off the Reservation.

- The Canadiens made a big mistake passing up on Alexei Cheraponov and Angelo Esposito to draft Ryan McDonagh.

- Max Pacioretty will be a great third liner in the NHL, he reminds me of Mike McPhee.

- Lars Eller will never be a goal scorer in the NHL. I'll be shocked if he ever scores 20 goals in his career. (16 as a 22 year old with very little PP time).

- Jaroslav Halak is a better goalie than Carey Price.

- If I was named GM of an NHL team, Mike Milbury would be in my top 3 coaching candidates. (said in the last 2 months)

- If I was named GM of the Montreal Canadiens, I'd do everything possible to trade for Vincent Lecavalier. (said in the last 2 months)

- The Chicago Blackhawks have 2 elite centres in Jonathan Toews and Dave Bolland. Montreal doesn't have anyone in their league. Tomas Plekanec doesn't stack up to Dave Bolland.

- Dmitri Orlov will be the next Sergei Zubov, he's gonna be that good.

- On Steven Valiquette: "A guy that can make big-time stops at the right time..."

- Luke Schenn is the human eraser. He's the next Adam Foote.

- Dion Phaneuf will win a lot of Norris Trophies in the NHL

- Justin Pogge is the future of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

He'll sure as hell remind you though every time he was ever right about something when he goes on the radio. Never acknowledging when he's been dead wrong. I file it under "Throw enough shit at the wall, some of it is bound to stick."

Hilarious, how do you recall everything he says like that? I usually just tune him out, or watch the game in french.

Pierre had an unbelievable bias for Justin Pogge. On the same weekend he blamed the Leafs team on one of Justin Pogge's Leaf losses and then blamed Brian Elliott for the Sens loss and called him a career backup.

Pierre had an unbelievable bias for Justin Pogge. On the same weekend he blamed the Leafs team on one of Justin Pogge's Leaf losses and then blamed Brian Elliott for the Sens loss and called him a career backup.

Elliott never looked anything more then a career backup though :/

This year has been a HUGE surprise.

Don't get me wrong though, I think McGuire is a terrible idea as a gm for Montreal and a pretty bad analyst as well...

Famous McGuire Statements that he now doesn't acknowledge exist.

= The pick of Carey Price was straight off the Reservation.

- The Canadiens made a big mistake passing up on Alexei Cheraponov and Angelo Esposito to draft Ryan McDonagh.

- Max Pacioretty will be a great third liner in the NHL, he reminds me of Mike McPhee.

- Lars Eller will never be a goal scorer in the NHL. I'll be shocked if he ever scores 20 goals in his career. (16 as a 22 year old with very little PP time).

- Jaroslav Halak is a better goalie than Carey Price.

- If I was named GM of an NHL team, Mike Milbury would be in my top 3 coaching candidates. (said in the last 2 months)

- If I was named GM of the Montreal Canadiens, I'd do everything possible to trade for Vincent Lecavalier. (said in the last 2 months)

- The Chicago Blackhawks have 2 elite centres in Jonathan Toews and Dave Bolland. Montreal doesn't have anyone in their league. Tomas Plekanec doesn't stack up to Dave Bolland.

- Dmitri Orlov will be the next Sergei Zubov, he's gonna be that good.

- On Steven Valiquette: "A guy that can make big-time stops at the right time..."

- Luke Schenn is the human eraser. He's the next Adam Foote.

- Dion Phaneuf will win a lot of Norris Trophies in the NHL

He'll sure as hell remind you though every time he was ever right about something when he goes on the radio. Never acknowledging when he's been dead wrong. I file it under "Throw enough shit at the wall, some of it is bound to stick."

Terrifying is the word that comes to mind when considering McGuire for Habs GM.

Terrifying is the word that comes to mind when considering McGuire for Habs GM.

I find it interesting that the English media is pushing for McGuire while the French media is pushing for Damphousse.

McGuire has proven that he's an idiot. All Damphousse has proven is he isn't marriage material.

I find it interesting that the English media is pushing for McGuire while the French media is pushing for Damphousse.

McGuire has proven that he's an idiot.  All Damphousse has proven is he isn't marriage material.

They are both pushing for their buddies so they can be "insiders" and get first access for interviews, leaked info etc... Its selfish

Elliott never looked anything more then a career backup though :/

This year has been a HUGE surprise.

Don't get me wrong though, I think McGuire is a terrible idea as a gm for Montreal and a pretty bad analyst as well...

Product of the hitchcock system.

Product of the hitchcock system.

Actually, Elliott played great prior to Hitchcock. It was Halak who needed Hitchcock. Halak didn't post a save percentage over .900 until December 8th, a month after Hitchcock came in. Elliott, from the start of the season to today has not once posted a save percentage under .930

Man, this is the best Habsworld thread in a long time. Some great analysis going on here (along with some great laughs at the expense of Pierre McGuire).

How do you guys have the insight that you do on what the candidates have been doing for their existing organizations? There's some serious fly on the wall stuff that's being mentioned here. Whatever i can digest from out there is mostly 3rd or 4th hand information at best - but some folks seem to know what these potential GMs are contributing to their respective teams. Just curious where that knowledge comes from...and i'm not being facetious!

Check out who TSN says the team has contacted. And to think some here had Jim Nill fantasies. The next GM of this team is going go be from QC, and francophone. Kinda sad, but it is what it is.

Let's all fantasize for a moment. The Habs hire Pat Brisson as their new GM. He makes two of this franchise's most important decision in years by hiring a new coach and selecting a top 3 pick. The Habs improve and are in the playoff mix this time next year. Then on July 1, 2013, he signs his former client Mr. Sidney Crosby. Habs fans rejoice around the globe.

But seriously, the guy has a TON of contacts around the league and is obviously a great negotiator. Wouldn't be a bad selection if you ask me.

Check out who TSN says the team has contacted. And to think some here had Jim Nill fantasies. The next GM of this team is going go be from QC, and francophone. Kinda sad, but it is what it is.

It's still early. This is basically rounding up the usual suspects.

I think the two that LeBrun found out were contacted are at the top of the Canadiens list: Brisson and Bergevin.

The ones that Gagnon revealed, BrisBois and Claude Loiselle of Toronto are probably next on the list of choices who fit all criteria.

Once the team interviews those who fit all criteria, they'll see who fits some criteria.

And I agree illWill, Brisson would be the perfect fit. Especially to once and for all end the concept that Montreal is not a popular place to sign in. Every player around the league regardless of agent will want to work for Pat Brisson's team.

But seriously, the guy has a TON of contacts around the league and is obviously a great negotiator. Wouldn't be a bad selection if you ask me.

As long as they hire (or keep) an experienced assistant GM, I would agree, he'd be towards the top of my list. I wouldn't want him and then a rookie assistant like Damphousse though.

Pat Brisson and Marc Bergevin.   Whats wrong with these guys?  Brisson is one of the best agents in the business.  This would be a hire very similar to the Pierre Lacroix hire by the Nordiques way back in the day and that worked out fantastic.  It would also be similar to Mike Gillis in Vancouver who has done a hell of a job with that team.  The guy is very well connected.  He's an excellent judge of talent (just look at his client list), and he's well versed in the CBA.  He's a great negotiator of contracts.  He's highly thought of and highly respected among virtually every team in the league. He's maintained a very classy approach to his business not being a mong like Allan Walsh or other agents. What's not to like?

As for Bergevin, very experienced.  Has paid his dues coming up in the Blackhawks organization.  Has learned under Scotty Bowman and Dale Tallon.  Has a Stanley Cup Ring.  Hire would be similar to the Peter Chiarelli hire in Boston, or the hiring of Shero by the Penguins.  He's got more management experience and more success than Julien Brisebois who is one of the favorites of the media here.  I don't get the criticism.

100% both these guys should be on the short list of people interviewed for the job.  No question about that.

Man, this is the best Habsworld thread in a long time. Some great analysis going on here (along with some great laughs at the expense of Pierre McGuire).

How do you guys have the insight that you do on what the candidates have been doing for their existing organizations? There's some serious fly on the wall stuff that's being mentioned here. Whatever i can digest from out there is mostly 3rd or 4th hand information at best - but some folks seem to know what these potential GMs are contributing to their respective teams. Just curious where that knowledge comes from...and i'm not being facetious!

I am like you and know a bit about some of people discussed, but dont know much about specific history/track records nor management quality of each and really aint got a clue who really would be a success.

I just know that; say, we all agree Pierre McQuire is a loudmouthed a-hole, that may mean absolutely nothing as far as being a successful GM, just have to look at a Steve Jobs/Bill Gates who were total a-holes, but can anyone argue with the final product.

I can speculate and toss names against a wall, but this is one topic i would admit i know very little about.

I am personally pulling for McGuire as well but don;t think he has a chance because he is not francophone. Molson may have said they want the best candidate but you can almost guarantee they will be a francophone who can speak English.

If you are okay with picking loadmouths and stuff then why not Roy? He has had much more success then McGuire at every level and honestly would be a better hockey broadcaster/analyst as well if he went into it haha!

McGuire just isn't as good as other candidates.

If you are okay with picking loadmouths and stuff then why not Roy? He has had much more success then McGuire at every level and honestly would be a better hockey broadcaster/analyst as well if he went into it haha!

Thats impossible to say. And how exactly has Roy had more success at every level? I know we all hav favorites and those you don;t like but Roy's experience was playing and then being a coach/GM of a Q league. A league where Quebec remains at the top of the league because they are a rich franchise and outright pay for import players to play. Apart from this he has no experience

I am like you and know a bit about some of people discussed, but dont know much about specific history/track records nor management quality of each and really aint got a clue who really would be a success.

I just know that; say, we all agree Pierre McQuire is a loudmouthed a-hole, that may mean absolutely nothing as far as being a successful GM, just have to look at a Steve Jobs/Bill Gates who were total a-holes, but can anyone argue with the final product.

I can speculate and toss names against a wall, but this is one topic i would admit i know very little about.

The problem you have to ask yourself is would you select Chuck Fletcher as your GM?

If you said no, then do you think the Minnesota Wild were wrong in choosing him over Pierre McGuire? Yzerman was also selected over McGuire.

Did Minnesota and Tampa skip on some hidden gem or is McGuire just a guy with a ton of influence and friends in the media?

Best question to ask yourself is if McGuire was such a great hockey mind and Bowman always lobbies for him, why hasn't he worked for Bowman since Pittsburgh? Why wouldn't Detroit pick him up as an assistant coach or scout during their domination years?

Sure why not Roy? it would likely make for good entertainment that is for sure. And McQuire would be annoying and likely isnt a good choice, but why would Scotty Bowman say otherwise?

Again, i am very curious and hope the best canditate get chosen and politics plays only a minor role at most.

The problem you have to ask yourself is would you select Chuck Fletcher as your GM?

If you said no, then do you think the Minnesota Wild were wrong in choosing him over Pierre McGuire? Yzerman was also selected over McGuire.

Did Minnesota and Tampa skip on some hidden gem or is McGuire just a guy with a ton of influence and friends in the media?

Best question to ask yourself is if McGuire was such a great hockey mind and Bowman always lobbies for him, why hasn't he worked for Bowman since Pittsburgh? Why wouldn't Detroit pick him up as an assistant coach or scout during their domination years?

Funny you should mention that. McGuire was offered the Assistant GM in Pittsburgh and he refused it. Shero then hired Fletcher as an alternative.