Now that it's happened, let's ask for real, who will be our GM?

REV-G

Administrative work.

Some poor secretary got fired for that, I'm sure.

The Huet and Campbell contracts are the blackmarks on his resume.

As is the Jovanovski one too.

Actually, the latter two are at least highly valuable players. Overpaying for such a player is one thing - always controversial, but often justifiable. It's paying massive dough for guys who are of only marginal value - Huet, Redden, Gomez - this is the real managerial Mark of Cain to my mind.

Thanks for the McKenna reference, I like any tidbit that seems to reduce uncertainty on this front. Is he credible?

McKenna is on the Team990 which we all know is pushing for Pierre, he's one of the lower level guys though... weekends, late evenings, that kind of thing. He's not someone who they use in their prime slots.

As for his credibility I have no idea what he has or hasn't broken before, he's never made an impression on me either way.

If it came down to two candidates for GM position, Marc Bergevin or Pierre McGuire, who would overall be the best qualified for the position?

If it came down to two candidates for GM position, Marc Bergevin or Pierre McGuire, who would overall be the best qualified for the position?

On my list, McGuire is, too quote John Lennon, FOOKIN' LAST. :1vomit: I guess it's Bergevin or bust for me.

good survey sir.

Thanks, although most of the credit should go to sakiqc who spearheaded this and did most of the setup. I glanced at the results a little while ago, a couple of surprising trends are emerging which will be interesting to write about later.

When McGuire's NBC commitments end this season, he'll be named Habs GM. I have no clue what I'm talking about, but it'll be funny as all hell if that takes place.

When McGuire's NBC commitments end this season, he'll be named Habs GM. I have no clue what I'm talking about, but it'll be funny as all hell if that takes place.

I officially start watching Major League Soccer and start playing console videogames again in your doomsday scenario.

Thanks, although most of the credit should go to sakiqc who spearheaded this and did most of the setup. I glanced at the results a little while ago, a couple of surprising trends are emerging which will be interesting to write about later.

As i have said before, i am quite ignorant of exactly what a GM does / is responsible for and track record/management qualities of most of canditates.

But, I originally had just dismissed McQuire as a blowhard, but does that mean he wouldnt make a good GM?, in hindsight, his ego/TV personality may not mean he wouldnt be a success as Hab GM, as irritating he may be to many Habfans.

Should see how all shakes out within next couple weeks.

He's a great guy and has lots of friends around the league, it's sure. However, could it play against him? How many people does he owe a favour? Would he be able to make a decision that hurts feelings of his contacts/friends/friends'families etc.? He knows a lot about hockey and probably has a great many deals of contacts and friends, but in the end, you also need a very strong winner attitude and committed competitive nature. Have we seen it? Does he have it?

I believe there's no single hockey person alive that embodies more this attitude than Roy. Roy could make this his team AND have the legitimacy, being the last Cup-winning Habs hero. He only needs to be well surrounded to alleviate his duties while he coaches.

Undeniably, McGuire's personnal connection with Molson is a strong asset. If he has not been hired already, it's not only because the Habs want to make things right, it's because he's not fitting 100% in the picture. Molson wants long term and stability. Could we see the Habs with McGuire for the next 5, 10 years? I'm trying to envision it. Can't.

I still believe Molson should continue to try to lure Brisson in. I could see a dynasty built around him. Respected, powerful, independant, negociator, hockey knowledge, network, French speaking, one that would be able to handle Roy as coach long term, he has it all..

• Upvote 1

I pray the new GM for Montreal is a person who has been in a strong and active position of management and player development with a successful team. Pierre McGuire has been a good TV Analyst. If he was that good of a hockey man I certainly believe another team would have picked him up by now. I do not think Montreal can afford to take a chance with this hire. Hiring McGuire is too much of a gamble he could be, emphasis on could be successful.

I haven't been following this per se, has Doug Risebrough been eliminated?

I haven't seen anything that says he has although there hasn't been much to suggest he actually is still in it either. Claude Loiselle has reportedly been scratched off the list as well.

I haven't seen anything that says he has although there hasn't been much to suggest he actually is still in it either. Claude Loiselle has reportedly been scratched off the list as well.

The list is getting shorter and shorter with this new round of cuts. Nomination sounds imminent

The list is getting shorter and shorter with this new round of cuts. Nomination sounds imminent

I personally think it's down to 3 candidates, Bergevin, BriseBois, and McGuire. Most of the other names have been ruled out while others like Roy and Mackasey have sort of just faded away.

I wonder about the 8 teams still left in the play-offs and what other assets the Habs will enquire about. I mean, LA isn't done yet but we're on the verge of announcing stuff? All the insiders are saying a decision is close, but i figured there's still a lot of talented organizations still in the big race...are we discounting them completely at this point? Granted there's not a lot of token French names out there, but we've still got Hextall on the list.

Do we figure the 'full list' is completely leaked or public? I'm almost positive there's got to be some others still left there that we're not aware of.

Do we figure the 'full list' is completely leaked or public? I'm almost positive there's got to be some others still left there that we're not aware of.

Molson has done a great job to keep this quiet. However if there are any surprise nominees I think we would have heard about them (Like Mackasey, Hextall and Robitaille).

I pray the new GM for Montreal is a person who has been in a strong and active position of management and player development with a successful team. Pierre McGuire has been a good TV Analyst. If he was that good of a hockey man I certainly believe another team would have picked him up by now. I do not think Montreal can afford to take a chance with this hire. Hiring McGuire is too much of a gamble he could be, emphasis on could be successful.

I disagree. Montreal needs a guy like McGuire in charge. he will go after the monster performers and has extensive knowledge about the game/system and really has the book on a lot of players. perfect guy imo

I disagree. Montreal needs a guy like McGuire in charge. he will go after the monster performers and has extensive knowledge about the game/system and really has the book on a lot of players. perfect guy imo

Don't forget about the guys with an active stick and big body presence.

I personally think it's down to 3 candidates, Bergevin, BriseBois, and McGuire. Most of the other names have been ruled out while others like Roy and Mackasey have sort of just faded away.

Good call sir. I know dick-all about Bergevin, but he should have a busy next 9-10 weeks.

Good call sir. I know dick-all about Bergevin, but he should have a busy next 9-10 weeks.

There is an article on Canoe/ Canadiens that suggests Dudley will become Asst GM after the draft.