Canadiens vs Capitals, March 31, 7 PM EST

dlbalr

Why is anyone getting down on Emelin? He's probably tired, he's 10 games past KHL range. Playing on the wrong side in a different pairing every night isn't good. Plus the gaggle of scrubs he's played with this year...Spacek, Campoli, Kaberle, Weber, St Denis, the list goes on and on. He's only played with Subban a few shifts. I agree with other posters that just because we have a good top 2 and first line doesn't mean we shouldn't juggle them. I'd have like to seen

Pacioretty DD Eller

Bourque Plek Cole

Markov Subban

Gorges Emelin

If we're going to tank, we should see what we can cook up for next year. If the two and a half men line tanks, we have no reference point to see what could have worked. We could go back to the JM patented line blender.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very weird feelings about the Leafs this year. Normally Im scared of having them in front of us but right now I would really hate to see them get the better draft pick than us. Just think of them winning the lottery and getting 1st overall? That would almost hurt as much as them making the playoffs.

Most team has a bottom 6. This team has a bottom 8 and only two top 6 defense. I don't miss Cammie honestly. I also don't miss Kostitsyn. I am not happy with the returns this year. I just hope that the new GM is able to protect the team's image enough to replace them through the UFA market. The 7 picks in the top two rounds could help too. A trade in July for a high end player consisting of roster players and picks could get us back on track. There are a lot of trade options with those picks.

The big question here is "How tarnished is this team's rep?" i tend to believe that it will be OK. I don't look at NJ as a crap team after their tank. With the removal of the Ghost, the rep is hopefully OK.

The issue may be less Cammy per se, as the role Cammy played in our lineup, at least on paper, and for some stretches during his time here. Most people would still regard him as a legitimate top-3 player. With him out we have a major roster hole.

Your question about rep is interesting. I tend to agree with you that we'll be OK. The Habs had solidified their image as a good organization that makes the playoffs annually and can offer you some real thrills (e.g., the semi-finals last season, the 2008 year, etc.). I doubt one season is enough to wipe all that out. Now if Gauthier had been retained, it might be another story. But as long as we get a credible GM and above all a credible coach, I don't see why UFAs would be leery. In fact, the Habs are likely to bounce back nicely next year; might be fun to be a part of that.

Why is anyone getting down on Emelin? He's probably tired, he's 10 games past KHL range. Playing on the wrong side in a different pairing every night isn't good. Plus the gaggle of scrubs he's played with this year...Spacek, Campoli, Kaberle, Weber, St Denis, the list goes on and on. He's only played with Subban a few shifts. I agree with other posters that just because we have a good top 2 and first line doesn't mean we shouldn't juggle them. I'd have like to seen

Pacioretty DD Eller

Bourque Plek Cole

Markov Subban

Gorges Emelin

If we're going to tank, we should see what we can cook up for next year. If the two and a half men line tanks, we have no reference point to see what could have worked. We could go back to the JM patented line blender.

I believe Emelin will be a top 4 Dman. However most 2nd year D have a sophomore slump so I'm betting that realistically he might take a step back next year so I want a short term guy signed who can play in the top 4 until he's ready and the young kids start helping too (Tinordi Beaulieu Ellis etc...)

I don't know if he'll slump because he's twenty-six and has been a professional for many years. He's taken a step back in his physical game the last ten games, which could happen since he's just had a kid, is tired, or isn't allowed to take risks because of his partners. I would LOVE to see us get Ladislav Smid on a two year deal.

Gorges Subban

Smid Markov

Emelin Diaz

I believe Emelin will be a top 4 Dman. However most 2nd year D have a sophomore slump so I'm betting that realistically he might

take a step back next year so I want a short term guy signed who can play in the top 4 until he's ready and the young kids start helping too (Tinordi Beaulieu Ellis etc...)

I don't know if he'll slump because he's twenty-six and has been a professional for many years. He's taken a step back in his physical game the last ten games, which could happen since he's just had a kid, is tired, or isn't allowed to take risks because of his partners.

The slump is just common. Most players go through one. Sometimes the slump isn't that noticeable. Subban is in his sophomore slump nearly matching last years point totals but having a better +/- despite playing on a worse performing team. It isn't anything scientific. It just happens.

He might be able to avoid the slump due to his age, I hope he does, but its a question mark.

Markov's health is also still a question mark.

With two question marks in the top 4, I'd like us to add a minute eating #4 defenceman.  If Markov gets hurt again or Emelin slumps we have a guy who can play a lot of minutes and help us out. If the UFA ends up on the third pairing with Kaberle, because Markov is healthy and Emelin avoids the slump, even better for us, we now have a top tier defence crew.  There's no downside to adding a really solid #4 dman here, a Jackman, Grossmann, Allen, or Jurcina type.

We're also in a year where despite the Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque contracts we're going to have a ton of money to play with, even after signing Price, Subban, Emelin, Eller, etc.

Now some of that money needs to eventually goto Pacioretty and Desharnais but it's more important to figure that we'll have flexibility to sign a free agent.

Molson also made it pretty clear he'd be fine with stuffing Gomez in the minors if need be.

We're also in a year where despite the Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque contracts we're going to have a ton of money to play with, even after signing Price, Subban, Emelin, Eller, etc.

Now some of that money needs to eventually goto Pacioretty and Desharnais but it's more important to figure that we'll have flexibility to sign a free agent.

Molson also made it pretty clear he'd be fine with stuffing Gomez in the minors if need be.

Did he say that? Or do we assume that by him saying he wants a winning team?

Did he say that? Or do we assume that by him saying he wants a winning team?

He was asked if he was willing to do it by the reporter and he said he was willing to do whatever it takes to have a winning team.

Pretty easy to deduce that. This isn't the same Molson who was a stiff in the 90s.

I don't know if he'll slump because he's twenty-six and has been a professional for many years. He's taken a step back in his physical game the last ten games, which could happen since he's just had a kid, is tired, or isn't allowed to take risks because of his partners. I would LOVE to see us get Ladislav Smid on a two year deal.

What about "this season is over and I don't want the other players to take wild shots at me cuz they're pissed off at me after a huge body check" ?

Save it for next seaon.

The issue may be less Cammy per se, as the role Cammy played in our lineup, at least on paper, and for some stretches during his time here. Most people would still regard him as a legitimate top-3 player. With him out we have a major

Sorry. That is what I was implying. Cammelleri the player and Kostitsyn the player will not be missed by me, but they left a gaping whole in the talent pool no doubt. Goat traded a top 3 player and a top 6 with top 3 abilities for a 3rd liner with the heart of a gnat and a 4th liner with a lineage. Baby boom boom Is no more than a 13th forward.

The good news is that with Bourque's defensive abilities, he can still fill a role. He is very good defensively. His contract is not a killer and he can fill in in the top 6 when injury occurs. With Gio on the right, this team needs a left winger badly! If Gomez is buried in the minors, hopefully there is enough money after Price and Subban get massive raises.

Sorry. That is what I was implying. Cammelleri the player and Kostitsyn the player will not be missed by me, but they left a gaping whole in the talent pool no doubt. Goat traded a top 3 player and a top 6 with top 3 abilities for a 3rd liner with the heart of a gnat and a 4th liner with a lineage. Baby boom boom Is no more than a 13th forward.

The good news is that with Bourque's defensive abilities, he can still fill a role. He is very good defensively. His contract is not a killer and he can fill in in the top 6 when injury occurs. With Gio on the right, this team needs a left winger badly! If Gomez is buried in the minors, hopefully there is enough money after Price and Subban get massive raises.

Yep, we're on the same page. I don't flip out because of mid-range contracts and with apologies to habs29, I don't think Kostitsyn is all that difficult to replace, in principle. Cammy's slot is another story. Top-3 wingers don't grow on trees. We'll see how it plays out.

Yep, we're on the same page. I don't flip out because of mid-range contracts and with apologies to habs29, I don't think Kostitsyn is all that difficult to replace, in principle. Cammy's slot is another story. Top-3 wingers don't grow on trees. We'll see how it plays out.

Can you tell me why Cammalleri is a top 3 player? only his salary says that, not his goal production, a sub 20 goal scorer both the past 2 years aint worth the $$, while Bourque has had more goals over last several years at 1/2 the salary and actually contributes more away from the puck, while Cammalleri does dick all, but float around in circles and is battlin with Kessel for softest player in league.

Good riddence and Flames can have the cull.

Well he does have 15 pts in his last 19 games in Calgary. Meanwhile Bourque has 8 pts in 35 games in Montreal and is a -17.

Hopefully Holland proves his worth as does that 2nd round pick!

Well he does have 15 pts in his last 19 games in Calgary. Meanwhile Bourque has 8 pts in 35 games in Montreal and is a -17.

I am just happy it will be a flame-less playoffs.

They will have a huge rebuild soon I feel

Iginla almost done and Kipper as well.

I am just happy it will be a flame-less playoffs.

They will have a huge rebuild soon I feel

Iginla almost done and Kipper as well.

They have to rebuild now or they will be the worst team in the league for a decade...

They have to rebuild now or they will be the worst team in the league for a decade...

Which i why i couldnt believe they took on Cammalleri's contract and gave up a good pick and prospect, when even if made the playoffs, they couldnt compete in playoffs with a St.Louis or Vancouver.

But now that 2nd round pick they gave the Habs next year should be a fairly high one, as the Flames must surely be going to bite the bullet and start rebuilding before draft, or for sure on July 1st and should have another bad season next year once Iginla is traded to Habs?

Feaster has two options:

1. Rebuild in 2012-2013, see if anyone will bite on contracts with some life left in them.

2. Play for the playoffs again in 2012-2013 and in 2013-2014 use that as the rebuild year by trading Bouwmeester, Cammalleri, Stajan and Kipprusoff as UFA rentals.

I bet you Feaster chooses options two.