Michel Therrien named head coach

Blonde Demon

It feels funny to return to a coach we just had. I can see him working well with the new management team. But hiring Roy would have been a real new start. Habs have turned their back on their last legend. Shocking

I can't help feeling this is a backward step. I personally would have liked Roy despite his inexperience as it just felt the time was right for a fresh start and new ideas and passion.

Will at least get passion with Therrien but not sure about the rest. Hopefully I'm wrong.

(null)

Edited by Kiwihab

One thing I've been mulling over is that we all seem to like Vigneault even though he took the Stacked Canucks to the dance twice and could not get it done, yet we all seem to be together with a strong displeasure at having Therrien return. He took a young but stacked Penguins team to the dance and could not get it done. But consider the growth of the young players under Therrien. They seemed to get better every year they were playing for him. I can't say I am ecstatic, but Therrien in light of Crawford's legal issues and lack of recent success, I don't know what the other options were? It is what it is, I guess.

I don't know if I'm thrilled with this decision, but hopefully he learned a thing or two since that habs meltdown vs Carolina in his last stint. If the coach had held it together that game, perhaps the team would have, too. I did state in an earlier post that I felt this version of the habs is much better than the team that Therrien had here last time, so I guess you never know. I think Crawford would be a better choice, but perhaps Therrien really impressed Bergevin and co. I do like the fact that there will be some more emotion behind the bench, hopefully that will be contagious and the players show some more on the ice, as I felt they were lacking in that department (well, not PK and Cole, but the rest of the team). Hopefully the team will now focus on getting the RFA's signed, and I must say I'm really looking forward to the draft in a few weeks.

While I don't think he is the best coach, he might have been the best available after Vancouver stayed the course. If he has tempered a bit in his old age, he might bring the right amount of emotion without going over the top. He does have a lot more experience and we shouldn't dismiss him based on his few rookie years. A lot of coaches have gone through a few teams before hitting their stride.

As for Roy, I didn't really want to break in another rookie coach at the NHL level. Crawford is a local boy, but not sure I would want him either.

The real issue is we have to land a solid big center and start making some upgrades on this team. LA did a great job this year of landing some real talent to go with the youth and great goal tending. It didn't happen over night for them either. I still think we need another "Cole" plus a big, talented center at the draft to shore up the front lines.

PS.. I hope the coaches contract is short term so we are not saddled with a long term commitment if he doesn't work out. He couldn't have had that much leverage.

By the way, Vigneault, Therrien, and Julien all did pretty well in their next assignments. Two went to the dance and one has a cup. We need to face the fact that all three had terrible teams while in Montreal.

Therrien was pretty much the only person I didn't want to get the job.

Couldn't agree more... I hope I'm wrong but I suspect this will go down as the first mistake made by a rookie GM. Terrible, terrible decision.

• Upvote 1

By the way, this is actually official now, I'll update the title: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633838&navid=DL|MTL|home

Crap - he was the one guy who I definitely didn't want!! Having said that, he probably is still an improvement over Martin. Still, this looks like a move to appease the RDS panel.

Couldn't agree more... I hope I'm wrong but I suspect this will go down as the first mistake made by a rookie GM. Terrible, terrible decision.

At the end of the day you have to look at the fact we were working with a very shallow pool of candidates and it was all about who interviewed best.

I look forward to a season of constant criticism for every line change, timeout, or line makeup that he does by the people going in with the firm conviction he will be terrible.

I think we’ve focused too much on the negatives regarding Michel Therrien so now let’s choose to look at the glass half full and see the positives that Marc Bergevin must have seen. When you look at his record Therrien has had a winning record at every level of hockey. Overall I would say that he has been very successful.

In 4 seasons of coaching in the QHJML his winning percentage was an outstanding .712!

In 1996 he won the Memorial cup coaching in Granby.

In 1997 Michel Therrien began coaching our AHL team in Fredericton and led them to the Eastern Conference finals.

In 1990-2000 he coached the Quebec Citadelles and led them to the Atlantic Division Championship.

In Nov. 2000 he became the coach of the Montreal Canadiens and led them to the playoffs for the first time in 4 years.

In 2001-2002 he took us to the eastern conference semi-finals.

With not very good teams in Montreal his record was 77 wins, 77 loses and 36 ties.

In 2003 he led the Pittsburgh’s AHL team, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, to the AHL finals.

In 2004-2005 he led that team to a 92 point season.

In the 2005-2006 his AHL team started out with a 21-1-2-1 record with a league record 15 straight wins.

He took over the head coach position of the Pittsburgh Penguins and in his second season there he was a finalist for the Jack Adams Trophy as NHL coach of the year after leading the Penguins to 105 points and a 47-point improvement over the previous season. It was the fourth-biggest turnaround from one season to the next in NHL history.

In 2007-08 Therrien's Penguins kept the same pace and earned 102 regular season points making their way to the Stanley Cup final, dropping a six-game decision to the Detroit Red Wings.

I think that according to his record we have a very good coach. Better than some that we interviewed and the truth is that most likely over these past years he has grown and improved and will likely be better that he was before, not worse.

So I think we have to trust Marc Bergevin and his team and begin to believe they’ve made the best decision and let’s go forward knowing we have some exciting times ahead!

• Upvote 1

I look forward to a season of constant criticism for every line change, timeout, or line makeup that he does by the people going in with the firm conviction he will be terrible.

Let's be honest, that would have been the case regardless of who was chosen to be the next head coach. The fact that Bergevin has elected to hire a guy with such a poor track record, let alone a retread, opens Therrien up to even further criticism.

I think that according to his record we have a very good coach. Better than some that we interviewed and the truth is that most likely over these past years he has grown and improved and will likely be better that he was before, not worse.

So I think we have to trust Marc Bergevin and his team and begin to believe they’ve made the best decision and let’s go forward knowing we have some exciting times ahead!

His only success was when he had arguably one of the greatest players of all time in his lineup (Crosby), one of the greatest players in the current NHL at the time (Malkin) and one of the top goalies in the NHL (Fleury), and essentially at the end of the day he won nothing, but as soon as he was fired the team had the greatest finish to a season in memory and went on to win the Cup. Yeah, he's a proven winner in the NHL allright. You get what you pay for, and we'll be getting ours this year. I'm sick about this signing. You can be optimistic all you want, but there is no secrets anymore in this league, and there is a reason why he hasn't gotten a job since being fired by the Pens, and don't kid yourself, the only reason he got this job is because he's French. It's not even about being Bergevins buddy, if he was English, he wouldn't of even been considered.

Let's be honest, that would have been the case regardless of who was chosen to be the next head coach. The fact that Bergevin has elected to hire a guy with such a poor track record, let alone a retread, opens Therrien up to even further criticism.

Read the post before yours. That is a terrible track record? If that is the case, there was no available coach you would like.

While I had a first negative gut reaction, I think I will wait and see how we do.

By the way, all this "stacked team" stuff.. most coaches that have success have a stacked team. Boston, Vancouver, LA, NYR, Washington, Pitts.. they all have more talent that the Habs. A coach has to take the talent he has and get the most out of it. Playing in a cup final is not a bad record. Detroit had a stacked team with a lot more experience.

People around here act like we have a cup team over flowing with talent that is held back by bad coaching... open your eyes. We are a mediocre team with some bright spots, but some major weaknesses too. Some great goaltending and even some good coaching has masked some problems, but let's not pretend that we were an amazing coach away from a cup. With the right talent, Therrien is capable of taking them deep in the playoffs. If he moves us up from last to a playoff position this year, will he be a good coach, or a terrible coach because we didn't win?

Is Julien a great coach for winning the cup, or a terrible coach for going out in round one this year?

There a many good coaches in this league and Therrien is probably one of them. If he has a decent team AND has the right chemistry with them, then he will do well. If the chemistry doesn't click, then he probably won't succeed. Only time will tell.

Read the post before yours. That is a terrible track record? If that is the case, there was no available coach you would like.

While I had a first negative gut reaction, I think I will wait and see how we do.

Would you prefer I say a terrible NHL track record. He failed with us once before, he failed in Pittsburgh and since being fired in 09 how many head coaching jobs has he even been considered for? This is the first time I've heard his name come up in connection with a head coaching vacancy in 3 years. If he's such a great coach surely some other team would have called, no?

Would you prefer I say a terrible NHL track record. He failed with us once before, he failed in Pittsburgh and since being fired in 09 how many head coaching jobs has he even been considered for? This is the first time I've heard his name come up in connection with a head coaching vacancy in 3 years. If he's such a great coach surely some other team would have called, no?

He was a finalist with the Devils before...I forget whether it was when DeBoer was hired or MacLean though.