July 1st: Who do we want, who can we get?

Commandant

True. Doesn't make Briere a top 20 of his generation though. :P

An "x" on Trembley isn't bad enough for mario. I'd rather see Gomez's face then just an "x" on Trembley's face.

An "x" on Trembley isn't bad enough for mario. I'd rather see Gomez's face then just an "x" on Trembley's face.

hahaha. My thoughts exactly, but Brian wouldn't approve what I really want to put on Tremblay's face... :)

People are too harsh on Tremblay, I do believe he had a winning record while coach of the Canadiens. He could have handled the Roy affair in a better way but if you have to strong willed indivdual and neither one wants to give in you then get what happend. He may not be a Nobel Lauriat but he is not a bad person either.

People are too harsh on Tremblay, I do believe he had a winning record while coach of the Canadiens. He could have handled the Roy affair in a better way but if you have to strong willed indivdual and neither one wants to give in you then get what happend. He may not be a Nobel Lauriat but he is not a bad person either.

He killed the franchise. Period.

He owes Montreal a decade of competitive hockey.

altho I blame Tremblay for a great deal of immaturity and mediocrity, I blame Houle for incompetence as a GM. from all I know and have heard, Houle is a great person and hockey guy - he should just have never been a GM. he was in over his head - way over. so perhaps Ronald Corey is the real villain for our decade of futility.

altho I blame Tremblay for a great deal of immaturity and mediocrity, I blame Houle for incompetence as a GM. from all I know and have heard, Houle is a great person and hockey guy - he should just have never been a GM. he was in over his head - way over. so perhaps Ronald Corey is the real villain for our decade of futility.

Yes to the Corey thing. Ultimately, though, Houle - nice guy, nobody doubts - was the "mastermind" who made the day to day decisions that saw us slither from an organization full of strong veteran talent and up-and-coming youth, to crap so pitable than when André Savard was hired and asked what his first task would be, he replied: "to get some NHL players."

LOVE the avatar, Joe.

Tremblay was just a horrendous coach, but no coach can destroy an organization. It takes a GM for that.

You're right. It started with the guy who hired an incompetent who hired another one... The trio killed the franchise.

a winning record shouldn't have been difficult given that he had a core that included Turgeon, Damphouse, Koivu, Roy to work with. It was because of Tremblay, we lost Roy and Turgeon.

Houle was just in over his head, Tremblay was in over his head but was also the SOB along with Corey who were the major reasons for the habs going into a dark hole. All three are to blame, but from everything i've read Houle is basically a good guy over his head, while Tremblay still acts like a douchebag and Corey is the guy that should have been tarred, feathered and driven out of Montreal on a stake.

Both Tremblay and Corey should be forced to give back their cup rings, for destroying the greatest sports franchise at the time.

In a couple of weeks it will be 2 decades.

Ronald (jerk off) Corey, was the problem. He fired a pretty successful GM and coaching team. Having won the cup in 93. He gave them 5 games in 95 and they were all gone. He then hired Houle who had absolutely no business in the GMs office. Except if they needed a janitor. Poor Rejean having no experience what so ever hired a coach whose claim to fame was he liked to criticize Patrick Roy as a "hockey analyst" . Gee I can't see how hiring a guy who had a running feud with your best player for years, could turn out badly. Yes those were dark dark days for les habitants. May we never see the like again. :habslogo:

It starts with the Molson Brewery under Foster's who told Ronald Corey to keep costs down with the team in the mid 90s.

It then followed with Corey finding a general manager he could push around. He chose Rejean Houle, who would do anything and everything for the Montreal Canadiens. He was a small town kid with limited education who was just passionate about the team. This is why Roy told Corey it was his last game in Montreal. He knew who was in control. Everyone did. It's no different to John Ferguson Jr. when he was GM in Toronto. He was hardly in control of the Maple Leafs. That was Richard Peddie. Anyway, Corey was always about treating Canadiens legends well and putting them in positions they weren't qualified for. He struck lightning with Serge Savard. Struck nothing with Houle.

Rejean Houle never hired Mario Tremblay. That was once again Corey. It's also good to note that Houle cut several management positions and left everything in Houle's hands. Houle was purposely over his head. The Canadiens has been like this until Bergevin came in and has been creating positions in the organization that exist on other teams. Houle still works in the Canadiens organization as the President of the Alumni Association because again, he lives and breathes Habs. I recall an interview where Houle broke down and cried when asked about his role as GM because he knew he shamed the team but at the time felt like if he said no, he'd be never allowed to return to the organization. The real shame is that his time as GM will never be forgiven but really, how many of us would have done the same back then?

The NHL in the 90s were a time where powerhouses were created not due to financial disparity but by management incompetence. There is still incompetence in the NHL (Kevin "I have my management position because of the hockey teams I played for" Lowe) but it's getting much harder for that to happen.

Nice post. I admit, I felt bad for Houle when he publicly worried he would be booed when he came on the ice for the 100th Anniversary celebration. It's gotta be terrible living with the knowledge that you are in over your head, and then to know that you were a cataclysmic, historic failure that destroyed the organization you love.

Blueberry's ego prevents me from feeling the same empathy for him. When I heard reports that he was puking his guts from the stress of the coaching job, my sympathy reading was (as Elvis Costello said) less than zero.

• 2 weeks later...

Should Montreal have any interest in Jerome Iginla? He is 35 years old and should have a few good years left in him. Maybe a short term deal? Just asking?

I love Jerome, he is a great guy, however being very slow, poor defensively, and on the downhill slide will not work on a young speedy skilled team. :habslogo:

I'd take Iginla, (depending on the price of course)

I think he goes looking for a cup contender though.... re-signs in Pitt or jumps to a Chicago or LA or something.

so he will go the Hossa path...

That means he will win in two years time!

Iginla should sign in Vancouver to play with the Sedin's. He'd be the perfect right wing choice for them. That would allow the Canucks to develop Kassian properly on the second or third line.

Of course he has to wait for Luongo to get bought out or moved before that happens.

Iginla should sign in Vancouver to play with the Sedin's. He'd be the perfect right wing choice for them. That would allow the Canucks to develop Kassian properly on the second or third line.

Of course he has to wait for Luongo to get bought out or moved before that happens.

And he'd anger all of Calgary.

It'd be like Koivu going and signing with the Leafs when he left Montreal.

I can't see Iginla as a Canuck.

The Canucks-Calgary rivalry isn't what it used to be. Vancouver is consumed with loathing for two teams: Boston and Chicago. I'd rate Minnesota as a more serious rival at this stage.

So, while it's harder for me to know how Flames fans think, I suspect they'd forgive Iggy for coming to LotusLand. There is little at stake between the two franchises at this historical juncture.

If Iggy is perceptive, though, he might avoid Vancouver. They look suspiciously like a team that missed its window and is now in decline, trying to 'retool' without rebuilding while having zero prospects in the system. Those seeking Cups should perhaps look elsewhere.

Vancouver is 2 years away from being Calgary today, unless the course correct in a hurry.

Btw, flames fans hate the knuckleheads only after the Oilers.

The Canucks-Calgary rivalry isn't what it used to be. Vancouver is consumed with loathing for two teams: Boston and Chicago. I'd rate Minnesota as a more serious rival at this stage.

So, while it's harder for me to know how Flames fans think, I suspect they'd forgive Iggy for coming to LotusLand. There is little at stake between the two franchises at this historical juncture.

If Iggy is perceptive, though, he might avoid Vancouver. They look suspiciously like a team that missed its window and is now in decline, trying to 'retool' without rebuilding while having zero prospects in the system. Those seeking Cups should perhaps look elsewhere.

In keeping with the jest of the thread, and there isn't a heck of alot of FA out there that will become available that are any good to us, I would start by resigning Halpern. I could go out and suggest Horton, Bickel,Clowe,Gagne,Bozak,Clarkson,Ribeiro,Brunner,Penner but I expect most of them will be resigned in some fashion. I have said all year that Connolly would have helped and I love to get McLaren. I am tired of the boys getting beat up.

Yeah, this summer's crop of free agents doesn't inspire too much excitement. I'd like to get a big forward, but wouldn't want to overpay for a streaky or low-ceiling guy. The most important is help on D, most likely in the form of a veteran on a 2-3 year deal.

The trade market should be more interesting, with teams like the Bruins and Rangers needing to shed salary in a hurry, and a lot of stars coming up on free agency next summer.