July 1st: Who do we want, who can we get?

Commandant

I say we should go after Schultz and Allen on D, try and trade Weber for the most we can get, sign a gritty guy like Brandon Prust if we can and trade for a winger or sign one (Doan, Mueller, Latendresse, etc.)

I want Moen to return, a LW to play with Pacioretty and Gionta (either a one year rental or 2/3 guy), a fourth line centerman who can win faceoffs and either a top four defenceman with shutdown ability or a sixth defenceman with enough grit and smarts to clean up after Kaberle.

LW: Ray Whitney, Guillaume Latendresse, Jiri Hudler

C: Paul Gaustad, Dominic Moore, Jay McClement, Adam Burish

D: Michal Rozscival, Bryan Allen, Greg Zanon, Milan Jurcina

Cole came to Montreal because no one else offered the same dollars or term. When we signed him the term scared me - still does.

While I'd love for Parise, Suter and weber (next year), coming to Montreal, these are guys that EVERY team is going to be willing to throw money and term at. If you are Parise and have no emotional attachment to Montreal, would you pick Montreal if you can get similar or more money to play with Datsyuk in Detroit, crosby in Pittsburgh or Kopitar in LA??

Parise wants to be the go-to guy on the team he signs with. Which would rule out all 3 teams you listed because he isn't going to be that guy. In Montreal he would be the go-to guy, so I wouldn't rule out Montreal at all.

Here's a crazy Eklund rumor that raised my eyebrow, a little far fetched, but not really.

Seems like right now NJ is entertaining the option to trade Kovy and re-sign Parise. Reason being after his performance in the finals they team feels they would be better off with Parise and without Kovy since they need to choose between the 2, Parise won't re-sign with Kovy. Why this is so important is because apparently the team is for sale and from a seller standpoint they feel the team with worth more with Parise and without Kovy.

Now comes the interesting part, supposedly 4 teams are in on Kovy, Detroit, Minnesota, NYI and Montreal. Not sure how I feel about Kovy's contract with us, but it would definitely take care of any top-6 forward issues we're having.

I want Moen to return, a LW to play with Pacioretty and Gionta (either a one year rental or 2/3 guy), a fourth line centerman who can win faceoffs and either a top four defenceman with shutdown ability or a sixth defenceman with enough grit and smarts to clean up after Kaberle.

LW: Ray Whitney, Guillaume Latendresse, Jiri Hudler

D: Michal Rozscival, Bryan Allen, Greg Zanon, Milan Jurcina

a LW to play with Pacioretty and Gionta? Pacioretty is a LW and Gionta is a RW, what we need is a good winger (either LW or RW) to play with Plekanec!

Kovalchuk is not getting traded. New Jersey gave up far too much for him and Parise is still "the man" in New Jersey with Kovalchuk on the team. The idea he isn't is absolutely ridiculous.

Kovalchuk, Anssi Salmela and a 2nd rounder for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder.

IMHO, they gave NOTHING and won the trade by 1000000 miles.

In the UFAs, the habs should either take a small cost-low risk chance on Lats and Mueller, or sign either one of Doan, Semin, Parenteau, Penner or Jagr! Before that, the first thing to try is a trade to acquire a young, top-6 caliber winger because all the UFAs I listed, except Lats and Mueller, are older and we need to go for youth. However, I believe any of the ones I named could make a decent winger for Plekanec!

Is bottom six already more or less set?

with this group of 7?

Leblanc-Eller-Palushaj

Moan-White-Staubitz-Geoffrion?

Or will Moan and/or Staubitz be sent packing in Bergevin housecleaning?

If Gallgher were to shine in fall and make roster, would he likely be slotted on Eller line? Might Shultz get a crack at goon/ 4th line role (still not likely able?)?

Is bottom six already more or less set?

with this group of 7?

Leblanc-Eller-Palushaj

Moan-White-Staubitz-Geoffrion?

Or will Moan and/or Staubitz be sent packing in Bergevin housecleaning?

If Gallgher were to shine in fall and make roster, would he likely be slotted on Eller line? Might Shultz get a crack at goon/ 4th line role (still not likely able?)?

Here's how I see out bottom 6:

Re-sign Moen and Staubitz, and maybe a prospect can make the team out of camp. Galchenyuk could, but after missing a whole season last year because of injury, I think one season in Sarnia couldn't hurt him, but if he shows he's NHL capable, I say give him a shot. Gallagher COULD make the team out of camp, but I think a season in Hamilton would be beneficial to him. Let's say both Moen and Staubitz are re-signed, I think with either a prospect (Galchenyuk, Gallagher...) or a free agent signing (someone like Prust) it looks something like this:

Moen-Eller-Gallagher/Galchenyuk/Prust/Geoffrion

Staubitz-White-Prust/Geoffrion

Staubitz and White should never play together on the same line.

Play White most games, and bring in Staubitz to fight heavyweights.

Staubitz and White together on a line is too weak defensively.... oh and White should never play centre either, in the AHL ok, but in the NHL he's too slow.

I look at the forwards right now as:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole

SPOT - Plekanec - Gionta

Bourque - Eller - Leblanc

SPOT - SPOT - White

Palushaj

If we sign nobody, we're probably looking at:

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Geoffrion - Eller - Leblanc

White - Gomez - Palushaj

and with that we might as well call it another top three draft pick season.

I think Bergevin might gamble Bourque in the top six if we can't find a suitable temporary guy for the team. By re-signing Moen he stays as a third line LW and puts Geoffrion in the lineup still. Not the greatest plan but it might be what he'll have to go with if prices get too silly.

I look at the forwards right now as:

SPOT - Plekanec - Gionta

Bourque - Eller - Leblanc

SPOT - SPOT - White

Palushaj

If we sign nobody, we're probably looking at:

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Geoffrion - Eller - Leblanc

White - Gomez - Palushaj

and with that we might as well call it another top three draft pick season.

I think Bergevin might gamble Bourque in the top six if we can't find a suitable temporary guy for the team. By re-signing Moen he stays as a third line LW and puts Geoffrion in the lineup still. Not the greatest plan but it might be what he'll have to go with if prices get too silly.

Good post. We have major holes right now, thanks mainly to the loss of Cammy and Kostitsyn (and Bourque's failure to show any sign of top-6 worthiness, just as Habs29 predicted) - pretty huge losses considering that our top-6 wasn't terribly intimidating to begin with. In all the excitement over the draft, the new management, etc., it's easy to lose sight of the fact that our team as presently constituted is basically crap. MB has some serious work to do in terms talent on the ice. I don't care how he does it, as long as MaxPac, Price and Subban are not part of any deal.

The salary cap will be going up by almost 6 million for next season. This has GOT to mean there's a team willing to take Gomez off our hands to reach the cap floor.

Although this means more money for every team to throw around, it makes me feel like we have got a better chance of throwing a ton of money at Suter or Parise while easily signing Price to a lucrative deal.

The salary cap will be going up by almost 6 million for next season. This has GOT to mean there's a team willing to take Gomez off our hands to reach the cap floor.

Let me add to that first sentence...The salary cap will be going up by almost 6 million for next season...until the new CBA is signed...and then it will be going down. The small market teams aren't signing off on any CBA that forces them to spend over $50 million on payroll annually.

3 steps

1) find LW for line 2

2) find Centre for line 4

3) resign Moen.

2. Upgrade on Gill's role.

2. Upgrade on Gill's role.

..odd.. Gill's signing just announced lmao

..odd.. Gill's signing just announced lmao

I talk to myself in real life too!

Parise wants to be the go-to guy on the team he signs with. Which would rule out all 3 teams you listed because he isn't going to be that guy. In Montreal he would be the go-to guy, so I wouldn't rule out Montreal at all.

Here's a crazy Eklund rumor that raised my eyebrow, a little far fetched, but not really.

Seems like right now NJ is entertaining the option to trade Kovy and re-sign Parise. Reason being after his performance in the finals they team feels they would be better off with Parise and without Kovy since they need to choose between the 2, Parise won't re-sign with Kovy. Why this is so important is because apparently the team is for sale and from a seller standpoint they feel the team with worth more with Parise and without Kovy.

Now comes the interesting part, supposedly 4 teams are in on Kovy, Detroit, Minnesota, NYI and Montreal. Not sure how I feel about Kovy's contract with us, but it would definitely take care of any top-6 forward issues we're having.

pfff.. no kidding.

but what potentially would that cost the habs?

A future Galy Kovy combo could be massive.

pfff.. no kidding.

but what potentially would that cost the habs?

A future Galy Kovy combo could be massive.

I wouldn't do it if it involved trading Max, PK, or Gally.

Those are our young guys who we need on the team. Losing Pleks for him... well... it would give Eller the chance to move up.

Who else would the devils want? I mean they have Henrique, Elias, and Zajac at center so Pleks probs wouldn't be looked at in a trade.

Maybe Gionta would be the veteran presence they think they would need and his history with the club would help NJ a lot.

We have a bevy of 2nd rounders next season or maybe the first that could be thrown in as well (since NJ is losing theirs next year it would make sense seeing them targeting a first).

Not sure what else they would want? One of our D prospects is a solid guess (we have a few of those haha). They are weak in the forward prospect depth I think... and I vaguely remember something about them wanted Leblanc on draft day (course I have a bad memory for that stuff!).

So some combination of that? What else do you guys see em targeting?

If of course we are in a magical world where Eklund rumors hold value...

Kovy is obviously a star, but I look at our future core, the guys we will want to build around (PK, Price, Max, Tinordi, Bealieu and Galy), and I would rather look for another winger in their age bracket, around 23 years old or less. I want a young group of guys who will group up and solidify the core together for the next 15 years. I'm sure that a top 6 winger around that age can be got less for Kovy. Doesn't have to be a superstar.

Anyways, I'd rather work with the draft and use the FA pool for veteran stop-gaps rather than be forced to dip into our promising pool of youngsters.

The way I see it, there are a few ways this could go down. One, and I think the most likely one, is a trade for a top 6 foreward. I'm not going to speculate who it will be, but I think thats where Bergevin will go. We may have to lose an important asset, as far as I'm concerned, there are 4 guys who are absolutely untouchable, Subban, Price, Patches, and Gally. Does Bergevin feel the same? Who knows, but he knows this team has to improve on paper before it can improve on the ice. The second option is the free agency route, and I see only a few guys out there who would be top 6 forewards, that being Doan and Parise. I have a feeling that one or both will resign with their current teams, leaving just one. Unless the habs are willing to fork out roughly 8 to 10 million per season (which I hope they do not), I can't see this happening. The last option is to pick up a couple of solid 2nd teir forewards via free agency, a free agent defenseman or 2, and go into the season hoping our better players all stay healthy.

I'd love to have a player like Volchenkov playin with Emelin next year of the bottom pairing. Experienced Shutdown guy to play at the 5 and let Emelin have a little leash extention. Someone that can be on ice with him and communicate effectively without limiting the quality of Markov's minutes. If thats possible,

..With Kovy and Robinson. haha

Gionta going makes tones of sense.

Looking at my own suggestions here, I don't think Gaustad or Moore are coming. They'll look to Cup contenders who need a fourth line center. McClement and Burish however are good guys to look at. I also decided to look at Jesse Winchester (missed like 50 games due to a concussion) and Ryan Carter (surprised he's going to UFA after a solid playoffs)

Jay McClement - Center (left handed)

6'1", 205, 29yrs old, Kingston boy (for JMMR)

80 games, 10 goals, 7 assists, 17 points, -8

Faceoff Percentage: 51.3% in 873 F/O.

Hits: 74 Blocks: 54

Shorthanded TOI/G: 3:06

Adam Burish - Center/Right Winger (right handed)

6", 191, 29 years old, Wisconsin boy

65 games, 6 goals, 13 assists, 19 points, +6

Faceoff Percentage: 55.8% in 389 F/O

Hits: 69 Blocks: 36

Shorthanded TOI/G: 1:26

Jesse Winchester - Center (right handed)

6'1", 206, 28 years old, Long Sault, ON native

32 games, 2 goals, 6 assists, 8 points, +2

Faceoff Percentage: 53.6% in 235 F/O

Hits: 51 Blocks: 9

Shorthanded TOI/G: 2:14

Ryan Carter - Center (Left handed)

6'1", 200, 28 years old, White Bear Laker

72 games, 4 goals, 4 assists, 8 points, -13 (he had 7 points in 23 games in the post-season, +4, 2 game winners)

Faceoff Percentage: 49.8% in 432 F/O

Hits: 114 Blocks: 25

Shorthanded TOI/G: 0:53

So strengths and weaknesses on all but if Gaustad and Moore are out of the picture I believe these should be our four targets. If Winchester is concussion issue free he's my favourite to go after but otherwise it would be Carter and McClement with Burish a possibility. Another possibility is trying Blake Geoffrion in the role and signing a guy to goto the AHL just in case Blake doesn't work out. Finally there's John Madden, who is quite old but he can still do the trick at near 50%.