UFA Day discussion thread

dlbalr

I thought it re-opened for 7 days after we sign Price (who was scheduled for arbitration). I don't think we are gonna get the August window, I think its open right now.

I don't have the CBA in front of me (I'll check when I get home) but I was always under the interpretation that there are two defined windows - one in June (regular), one when the arbitration periods are (compliance). The 7 day window sounds familiar but that may be the length of the window as of a specific date. As I said, I'll take a look when I get home to find out for sure, even if it is moot since the buyout isn't happening.

I don't have the CBA in front of me (I'll check when I get home) but I was always under the interpretation that there are two defined windows - one in June (regular), one when the arbitration periods are (compliance). The 7 day window sounds familiar but that may be the length of the window as of a specific date. As I said, I'll take a look when I get home to find out for sure, even if it is moot since the buyout isn't happening.

Do you have a printed copy or are you googling it haha

"For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings

pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day

following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement

of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred after 7:00 p.m.

New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received after 7:00 p.m. New York

time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes of this

provision)."

So we have 48 hours after signing Price to buy out Gomez.

It ain't happening either. Gomez will get a shot to impress Therrien and Bergevin but likely find himself in the AHL.

...that is unless they open up an amnesty buyout in the CBA. In that situation, I think they will open up another 48 hour window for all teams.

It ain't happening either. Gomez will get a shot to impress Therrien and Bergevin but likely find himself in the AHL.

...that is unless they open up an amnesty buyout in the CBA. In that situation, I think they will open up another 48 hour window for all teams.

I agree it isn't happening. MB made that clear, and I agree with him, the cap hits on Gomez's buyout never made sense.

Just discussing the hypotheticals with dlblair here.

I agree it isn't happening. MB made that clear, and I agree with him, the cap hits on Gomez's buyout never made sense.

Just discussing the hypotheticals with dlblair here.

I know most of you won't agree, but I am willing to give Gomez ONE more chance to prove that he can play at the NHL level and put up decent points. Although I think there is no way he can perform well enough to make us forget about his salary, he can try to redeem himself as much as possible, at least enough to deserve a spot in the NHL.

I know most of you won't agree, but I am willing to give Gomez ONE more chance to prove that he can play at the NHL level and put up decent points. Although I think there is no way he can perform well enough to make us forget about his salary, he can try to redeem himself as much as possible, at least enough to deserve a spot in the NHL.

The only issue is that Gomez under any circumstance cannot be eating away $7M of our cap next season. With Desharnais and Pacioretty to sign we cannot afford it anymore (and yes, we could afford it before).

So what works better: Gomez in the NHL playing fourth line or Gomez in the AHL playing top line with our best prospects? He's going to look much better in the AHL and that will either clear him off the cap or give him a better shot at both re-entry waivers and a team wanting to trade for him.

I pity the fool who wants to give Gomez 'another chance.' Therrien is yet another defence-first coach preaching a team game. Gomez needs Carbo or Boudreau circa 2008, where you just open the bench door and let the players run around willy-nilly. I loved Gomez as a freewheeling C, but that guy will not return - at least not wearing the CH. Move to 'acceptance' already.

I've been all for giving Gomez another chance in the past, but I'm done with him.

Same for me. I thought he was part of the solution but now hes just problematic.

"For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings

pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day

following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement

of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred after 7:00 p.m.

New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received after 7:00 p.m. New York

time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes of this

provision)."

As long as no one else files for arbitration, that appears to be correct. (And the only one who might still be eligible is St-Denis and there's no way he goes to arbitration...)

Dallas seems to have done what I was hoping we'd do - sign 1-2 productive veteran forwards to short term deals. Good moves by them, regrettable omissions by us. Any word on whether Doan is still on our radar?

Dallas seems to have done what I was hoping we'd do - sign 1-2 productive veteran forwards to short term deals. Good moves by them, regrettable omissions by us. Any word on whether Doan is still on our radar?

I think i would trust Markov's knee over 40+ year old guys cashing in just before retirement.

I like Whitney and Jagr fine, but not at $4.5/year.

I would sign for Semn before one of these guys, and i wouldnt even bid on Semin.

Anyways, i assume Bergevin aint quite done, with all the d-men, he is gonna have to trade someone.

But am totally pleased with the 3 signings anyways.

I think i would trust Markov's knee over 40+ year old guys cashing in just before retirement.

I like Whitney and Jagr fine, but not at $4.5/year.

I would sign for Semn before one of these guys, and i wouldnt even bid on Semin.

Anyways, i assume Bergevin aint quite done, with all the d-men, he is gonna have to trade someone.

But am totally pleased with the 3 signings anyways.

I'm pleased with the signings as well, they just don't go far enough toward making us a good team for my liking. As for Jagr's cap hit, look, it's a one-year deal; unless you're planning on spending that money on someone else, I don't understand all the scornful online commentary. You've got the cap space, he's a valuable asset, there's no long-term commitment, where's the problem?

I'm pleased with the signings as well, they just don't go far enough toward making us a good team for my liking. As for Jagr's cap hit, look, it's a one-year deal; unless you're planning on spending that money on someone else, I don't understand all the scornful online commentary. You've got the cap space, he's a valuable asset, there's no long-term commitment, where's the problem?

Do they though? If Gomez isn't getting buried, they didn't have the space to give Jagr $4.55 M (plus bonuses it appears) even if the cap were to actually stay at $70.2 M.

Do they though? If Gomez isn't getting buried, they didn't have the space to give Jagr $4.55 M (plus bonuses it appears) even if the cap were to actually stay at $70.2 M.

Good question...I do tend to assume Gomez is getting buried. Keeping him on the team just seems like an exercise in futility to me.

EDIT: also, Dallas is getting ripped in a lot of online chatter for the contract. That's what I find just baffling and partly what I was addressing with my comment. Some fans seem to think the Cup is automatically awarded to the team that has the best use of cap space...it's puzzling.

Dallas now has way too much veteran wingers and no centers.

They are not done trading, with Jagr and Whitney, less pp time for Erikkson, Morrow,

Ryder, Benn.

Talking of Ryder...Kaberle could be moved and we have some scoring piunch and one liability less.

One year less of contract too.

Exactly... one year deal for a guy who scored over 50 points in limited time. Better than leaving the cap space unused IMO.

Exactly... one year deal for a guy who scored over 50 points in limited time. Better than leaving the cap space unused IMO.

Just reading the article posted on Habsworld, we don't have much cap space. And, with the new CBA, we won't really know how much cap space there will be. Add the Gomez situation, and our cap space is pretty uncertain at this point.