UFA Day discussion thread

dlbalr

Well every signing seems justifiable in some way...

I just don't want us to become a team of assholes. At any second I'm expecting a tweet from Sean Avery: "Luv the moves #Habs! Kep up the grate work!"

Therrien's an asshole. Not even his mother would argue that.

Armstrong's an asshole. Plus, willingly signing in Toronto and playing there for 2 seasons makes him more of an asshole just through osmosis.

Bourque's an asshole cause seriously ###### that guy.

Add in the other players with high "assholibility" like Prust and White, and this could spread like a plague.

Ha ha, last time we had a team of assholes was from about 1985 to about 1992. Kordic, Chelios, Nilan, Ludwig, Lemieux, Corson, Momesso, the list goes on. Teams hated coming to our building, we won a busload of games, one Cup and went to the Finals. Worked for me. ;)

• Upvote 1

I always hated other teams that were full of assholes, now the shoes on the other foot assholes. These assholes will be highly entertaining if nothing else....and we are going to beat those assholes from Toronto/Boston into the dirt this year...keep firing hiring assholes

• Upvote 2

Ha ha, last time we had a team of assholes was from about 1985 to about 1992. Kordic, Chelios, Nilan, Ludwig, Lemieux, Corson, Momesso, the list goes on. Teams hated coming to our building, we won a busload of games, one Cup and went to the Finals. Worked for me. ;)

I don't care if they are assholes as long as they are winning assholes.

• Upvote 1

Well every signing seems justifiable in some way...

I just don't want us to become a team of assholes. At any second I'm expecting a tweet from Sean Avery: "Luv the moves #Habs! Kep up the grate work!"

Therrien's an asshole. Not even his mother would argue that.

Armstrong's an asshole. Plus, willingly signing in Toronto and playing there for 2 seasons makes him more of an asshole just through osmosis.

Bourque's an asshole cause seriously ###### that guy.

Add in the other players with high "assholibility" like Prust and White, and this could spread like a plague.

LOL

These poopholes look like some tough, hardworking shite disturbers to me, as long as they stay on the lower half of the line up, and are joined by a LW with a little less poopholibility on the top half:

Parise, Semin, Jagr or a trade please.

Let's not get distracted by the shite talk around these important but minor moves. The Habs are now officially some tough poop. But the proof is in the pudding, not the poop.

And the pudding plays LW with Pleks and Gio:

Cole-DD-Patches

Pudding?-Pleks-Gio

Bourque-Eller-Armstrong

Moen-White-Proust

Nokia

Hammies: Geoffrion?, Leblanc, Gallagher

Gorges-PK

Markov-Emelin

Kaberle-Cube

Swiss Misters

Looking pretty good to me, so far...

As I reflect on this line up, I am increasingly impressed with the Armstrong and Boullion moves.

Colby is a great, and cheap, fit for the third line - big, tough agitator with offensive upside, can fill in on the top six, if pressed. Provides some incentive for Leblanc and Gallagher to work themselves into the top nine in Montreal and will no doubt get injured providing them opportunities to do so.

Boullion is a perfect stop-gap veteran mentor who helps with the francophone quota. He's a nice fit with Kabs. People calling for Allen or another top four UFA dman are forgetting that those guys want $ and term, that Alexi Emelin is doing just fine in that role and has offensive upside yet to be realized in the NHL, and that we have some studs in the stables in Beaulieu and Tinordi.

I am not so sure about Prust's price and term, but can see how this one move pushes us from not-so-smurfy to tough SOBs, and how that is desireable. Can you imagine playing a shift against Moen, White and Prust? They are going to grind other team's bottom six into dust :)

Our team, for the last 3 or 4 years, has been way too easy to push around, and teams got away with way too much. Not so much now, call these guys what you want, but our bottom 6 will be a nasty group to play against, other teams, and their fans, are going to hate this team. We haven't had such a group of nasties since the days of Corson, Skrudland, Mcfee, Lemieux, etc. The diff, unfortunately, was that guys like that were our top 2 line guys. Now that was a nasty bunch!

Sad you were the first to catch it :P

I guess I just miss that guy.

EDIT: Brian Wilde says Montreal is the frontrunner for Jagr.

Yeah nobody notices who our backup is when we have Carey in between the pipes.

Exactly.. and we definitely won't be getting pushed around anymore either. Piss & vinegar.

What does our cap look like at the moment (factoring in the increase)?

I made a quick note on the cap last night. I plan to do something more detailed on the site, I'm just waiting a bit to see if anything else is in the pipeline. Note that the contract situation has Leblanc in the AHL as with the current depth on the wing I can't see him starting in Montreal.

Realistically, I gotta hope that Jagr will cap off our free-agency. If we can just add a bit of scoring up front, I think we will have a great team next year.

I would like Doan more that Jager, but he apparently wants to wait until the ownership crap is worked out with the Coyotes....if we wait too long we will miss out on Jagerbombs....best case senario we get both of them and sort out the cap imliplications after. Maybe trade Gionta for some Defence?

what did I miss? what is up with Jager?

Reports are coming out that we never had interest in him.