UFA Day discussion thread

dlbalr

I'm no expert, but from what I hear the owners' main concern is that the salary floor is too high.

On the last go-round, I predicted from the get-go that we would get a salary cap, and that the trade-off would be greater player mobility. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the UFA age lowered even more as part of the bargain that allows the cap floor to drop.

Would this be a crappy outcome for fans? Hard to say. You'd have to lock up the Subbans and Prices that much sooner in their careers, and that carries heightened risk. Then again, if the cap keeps rising it will eventually start squeezing out a lot of good markets as the Torontos and New Yorks and Detroits and Colorados gradually start to play UFA vacuum cleaner again. So I suppose we have to have it out sooner or later.

Incidentally, I don't see where GM stupidity crowded us out of the Parise sweepstakes - ? Unless the stupidity in question is Gauthier's, by making us an uncompetitive destination.

I think the new CBA will involve limiting term of contracts, lowering cap floor, and changing revenue sharing slightly. Other than that, I don't think there will be any ground shaking changes at all. Also, thats why I expect there will be an agreement with no stoppage this time around.

A) How?

b) No one puts a gun to anyone's head and asks them to sign the deal.

c) Escrow ensures players get 57% of revenue, no more, no matter what the deals do. All these deals do is raise escrow around the league.

I think the precident is forcing all GMs into these deals or they can't get or keep top players. It will leave many teams in trouble with bad contracts causing weak market teams to go under or need more financial help. This will lead to a mess at some point. What if the Canadian dollar goes down and that drives the cap down? Many of these deals are justified like house prices... The cap can only go up. I don't want to see the wreckage down the road as these become the norm. We went from one or two of these to having Parise getting a thirteen year deal. It is becoming common.

People on this board are worried about Markov. Imagine if he was signed for ten more years.

If Suter gets that kinda money... what will Subban get?

Ryan Suter is one of the best defencemen in the NHL. He's nearly impossible one on one, he made Weber look better and not the other way around and he's a very solid passer.

People need to stop reading a players point totals and actually know more than the team they watch. Subban is nothing like Suter. Closest we have to a Suter is Markov repeating his play with us five years ago.

I'm hoping we sign Subban at about 3-4 million/year for 5 years or so, but I'm thinking he'll want no more than a 3 year deal.

I think the precident is forcing all GMs into these deals or they can't get or keep top players. It will leave many teams in trouble with bad contracts causing weak market teams to go under or need more financial help. This will lead to a mess at some point. What if the Canadian dollar goes down and that drives the cap down? Many of these deals are justified like house prices... The cap can only go up. I don't want to see the wreckage down the road as these become the norm. We went from one or two of these to having Parise getting a thirteen year deal. It is becoming common.

People on this board are worried about Markov. Imagine if he was signed for ten more years.

what would be the issue if he blow his knee out and was signed for 10 more years, other then Molson or insurance picking up the cost??? Philly and Boston are not hamstrung by Pronger or Savard's injuries. They are still able to use the cap space of those players, since they are out.

I have no issue with giving long term contracts to true elite players like Price, Crosby, Suter, Parise. The issue is when idiots like Wang give it to Depietro before he has shown he is an elite player. I think Subban's 2 + seasons he has shown that he is a star based on the minutes and assignments he gets. If we can lock him up at a lower cap hit, why not exploit the loopholes in the CBA while they are still there???

Even with Luongo's contract, you already know that Luongo is not going to be playing during the last 3 or 4 year's of his contract. So really, you only have to worry about him for 6-7 years at a $5.5M cap hit. The issue is more in cases like Redden or Gomez where they have yet to live up to their Cap hit, let alone the actual dollars they are being paid.

You know, David Poile was complaining to the media that Ryan Suter verbally agreed to a contract months ago but refused to sign a contract, went to free agency and is now a member of the Minnesota Wild.

Clearly players have too much power to toy with the emotions of fragile GMs. I guess we need to add to the CBA that if a player says he wants to stay with a team, he cannot change his mind and verbal agreements are automatically three year contracts.

Bubblewrap the NHL. Anything to get us back to players having to work a second job!

• Upvote 2

I'm hoping we sign Subban at about 3-4 million/year for 5 years or so, but I'm thinking he'll want no more than a 3 year deal.

I agree that he will be looking for a 2 to 3 year deal at around $4M. I'd at least try to sign him for something in the $5.5M/yr over 14 year and heavily front load the deal as an incentive to sign (i.e. $7M signing bonus, start at $8M/yr during the early years and work the contact down to around $2M/yr at the end of the deal). If Wideman can get $5.5M, you know Subban is going to get Suter type money. By offering more front end money if we can lock him up you not only get him a lot cheaper of the life of the deal (cap wise), but also make it more easier to move him in later years.

Everyone said Carter was not moveable because of the length of his deal, yet he was moved TWICE in the same friggin year!!! The issue is more with the non-performers like Gomez or Redden.

You know, David Poile was complaining to the media that Ryan Suter verbally agreed to a contract months ago but refused to sign a contract, went to free agency and is now a member of the Minnesota Wild.

Clearly players have too much power to toy with the emotions of fragile GMs. I guess we need to add to the CBA that if a player says he wants to stay with a team, he cannot change his mind and verbal agreements are automatically three year contracts.

Bubblewrap the NHL. Anything to get us back to players having to work a second job!

Poile is an idiot. Suter asked him to make better moves at the deadline. IMO that should have meant going after a Nash or Carter - address the times biggest weakness which was scoring. Not bringing in a shot blocker like Gill or AK46 who was having a lousy year, when there is not enough time to integrate him into the lineup. He brought in Radulov and then declared he is not going to retain him, which pretty much made him untradable.

When a guy has been saying since March he is going to test the market, as publicly as Suter has, Poile sounds pretty petty at this point. He reminds me of Murray, pretty good at assembling a competitive team, but lacks the finesse to get it over the hump.

These owners are smart business men because they've made hard decisions. If the cap drops and teams with long contracts get screwed, the teams without them will look like geniuses. Just because its common doesnt mean every team has to do them

These owners are smart business men because they've made hard decisions. If the cap drops and teams with long contracts get screwed, the teams without them will look like geniuses. Just because its common doesnt mean every team has to do them

If the cap drops there will probably have to be a rollback (although I can't see Fehr agreeing to this). Three years after that, the cap will rise again, so I think contracts like Carter, Richards and Parise will still look pretty good.

So who's left in the top 6 market? Just Doan?

Carle signs for 6 years, 33 million. Good contract.

That is a very good contract considering that he was one of the best UFAs defencemen available

So who's left in the top 6 market? Just Doan?

Carle signs for 6 years, 33 million. Good contract.

Doan and Semin for legit top 6 talent

Sykora for a guy with a nice 21 goal 44 point season in Jersey

Wolski, Mueller, Kostitsyn, Huselius, if you want to go for a reclaimation project.

Top scoring UFA forwards left:

Selanne: 66 points (likely not available to anyone)

Semin: 54 points

Doan: 50 points

Wellwood: 47 points

Sykora: 44 points

Kostitsyn: 36 points

Arnott: 34 points

Langkow: 30 points

Brunette: 27 points

Stapleton: 27 points

Mueller had 16 points in 32 games while Gilbert Brule had 14 points in 33 games. The team that gets Arnott is getting easily the best third line center money can buy with a great FO% throughout his career and a +13 on the Blues.

Top scoring UFA forwards left:

Selanne: 66 points (likely not available to anyone)

Semin: 54 points

Doan: 50 points

Wellwood: 47 points

Sykora: 44 points

Kostitsyn: 36 points

Arnott: 34 points

Langkow: 30 points

Brunette: 27 points

Stapleton: 27 points

Mueller had 16 points in 32 games while Gilbert Brule had 14 points in 33 games. The team that gets Arnott is getting easily the best third line center money can buy with a great FO% throughout his career and a +13 on the Blues.

wow slim pickings....although Arnott would look pretty good as our 3rd center, move Eller or DD to lw.

But I think that if he wanted to come here he would have 6-7 years ago when he first became UFA.

That is a very good contract considering that he was one of the best UFAs defencemen available

Maube one of the best available, but still only a very average defenceman, no wonder most teams shying away from the UFA lunacy.

Maube one of the best available, but still only a very average defenceman, no wonder most teams shying away from the UFA lunacy.

to be honest with youI have never really paid much attention to his game...but in Philly I thought he stepped it up a notch, or at least I just heard more about him while he was in Philly.

I think Mueller would be a good risk to take if the price was right, and I'd still love to see Arnott in the Habs lineup despite his age.