March 10, Habs vs Panthers, 6 PM

dlbalr

Pateryn is a monster. This guy is huge, barely fit in a door huge. I hope we don't see any more of Dumont on the third line. From what I could see live, he's strictly an AHL call up. Pateryn looked very nervous some players, when they get called up look like they forgot how to play. He's been one of them, he was afraid to throw a check even. In warmups PK and Eller stayed out, and PK ripped slap shots for a good 5 minutes. Very cool!

I don't think that we saw the same game. Dumont is obviously a big upgrade compared to White. He can make a good pass, shoots on the net and plays bigger (a lot) than his size. He recalled that Guy Boucher, who coached him in the juniors, was a big fan of him; he said that he was sure that he would make it the NHL. IMO, he will remain with the club.

Pateryn was obviously nervous, but he did not hurt the team either; we won the two games in Florida with him in the lineup.

I've seen two, maybe three good plays from Dumont and the rest was your typical AHL energy fodder. He hasn't impressed any significant reason to play him on one of the best teams in the east.

If Boucher likes him so much, I'm sure Stevie Y could swing something.

I've seen two, maybe three good plays from Dumont and the rest was your typical AHL energy fodder. He hasn't impressed any significant reason to play him on one of the best teams in the east.

I was gonna saying something similar earlier, but I just woke up and figured I'd get a coffee in me first.

Dumont doesn't look better than White. White hits more and gets more dangerous scoring chances. Dumont, especially in the Panthers game, looked hesitant on everything. It may of been because of his lack of experience, but White looked like the better of the 2. Maybe in a couple of years he might be better than White, but as of now he isn't. That is unless he can play a balls out style of game, hit a lot and stay clean. Then I would agree with you he is better than White. Bottom line is he plays way too hesitant, especially for a rookie trying to gain a spot on the roster.

I was gonna saying something similar earlier, but I just woke up and figured I'd get a coffee in me first.

Dumont doesn't look better than White. White hits more and gets more dangerous scoring chances. Dumont, especially in the Panthers game, looked hesitant on everything. It may of been because of his lack of experience, but White looked like the better of the 2. Maybe in a couple of years he might be better than White, but as of now he isn't. That is unless he can play a balls out style of game, hit a lot and stay clean. Then I would agree with you he is better than White. Bottom line is he plays way too hesitant, especially for a rookie trying to gain a spot on the roster.

He will remain with the team for now, because of the injuries. I believe that he will look better as he gets more icetime. I don't hesitate one minute: he is better than White.

I don't think Stevie Y will be making to many moves at Boucher's request these days...it's more likely that he's sharpening the axe to bring in someone like Lindy Ruff.

Dumont really didn't do anything special. And he's just too small to fit in this lineup.

With Desharnais, Gallagher, and Gionta already in our top 9, and Boullion on defence. I just don't see how we fit Dumont in as well.

I don't think that we saw the same game. Dumont is obviously a big upgrade compared to White. He can make a good pass, shoots on the net and plays bigger (a lot) than his size. He recalled that Guy Boucher, who coached him in the juniors, was a big fan of him; he said that he was sure that he would make it the NHL. IMO, he will remain with the club.

Pateryn was obviously nervous, but he did not hurt the team either; we won the two games in Florida with him in the lineup.

Must have been because I watched the game live. He's too small. Les Boys are starting to look like a junior team.

Unless Colby Armstrong gets injured, we don't have room for an empty jersey.

have to agree here. dumont is not better then white. in no way. i saw nothing to merit dumont coming close to top 9 minutes. when prust returns he will be sent down.

im still surprised MT went with dumont while blunden sits

have to agree here. dumont is not better then white. in no way. i saw nothing to merit dumont coming close to top 9 minutes. when prust returns he will be sent down.

im still surprised MT went with dumont while blunden sits

Dumont has outplayed Blunden in Hamilton this year. Besides, I honestly do believe they wanted to evaluate him a bit heading into the deadline; they already know what Blunden can bring to the table. Dumont has looked decent in his limited minutes - I'm not advocating keeping him up permanently mind you.

not sure i see the out playing you see this year. besides the 8 points dumont has on blunden, they are the both plus players on a bad team. they take the same amount of shots as each other but blunden hits more and has dropped the gloves

blunden also has more PPG career wise then dumont mind you just by a hair .49 to .41

the big difference to me is blunden is like 6-7 inches taller like 35 pounds heavier and is a much faster/stronger skater who doesnt get bullyed off the puck with many more NHL games experience.

he made the team out of camp this season and didnt get a chance to dress once before being sent down. he should of been called up first. just saying....

dumont's stats in now his 3rd full AHL season do not merit top 6 nhl minutes by any stretch. and that is his AHL role. with prust out of the lineup blunden seemed the way better choice to me to fill in. granted we won both games so kudos to MT for the call rather then me... merely an armchair GM

i dont think even in hamilton, dumont's play was worthy of a call up even if just to see what he has to offer...

not sure i see the out playing you see this year. besides the 8 points dumont has on blunden, they are the both plus players on a bad team. they take the same amount of shots as each other but blunden hits more and has dropped the gloves

It's not just points-based. Dumont has had to check opposing teams' top players on a regular basis (no one else is capable of doing so) and despite that has put up career highs across the board with a positive rating. Blunden has been used more in a supporting role, primarily on the second line. I don't believe that the AHL has a fights stat but I'd hazard a guess he has as many or more scraps than Blunden too. [Edit: According to hockeyfights.com, Dumont has 5 this year, Blunden 2.] I haven't caught as many Hamilton games as I usually do but I'd have Dumont near the top in a team MVP category (and that's terrible, it really is...) and I wouldn't have Blunden in that discussion.

As I said though, I think this was more evaluation based than anything. This is Dumont's last year of being waiver exempt and heading into the trade deadline, they'd be wise to see if he can be relied on to play if injuries (or trades) arise. On a road trip with a whole bunch of softer teams (Boston the exception and he didn't play against them), a bigger player wasn't needed and they already know what Blunden can do. Should there be a need to keep Dumont or another forward around longer than expected, I imagine he and Blunden will trade places at some point, particularly when facing more physical opponents. But for now, there's no need to bring Blunden up and Dumont has done alright so far.

So far Dumont is playing in Montreal and Blunden in Hamilton. It tells a lot about management's evaluation, don't you think? As for Dumont, next game will be his third. He should feel more comfortable, Pateryn as well; let's see if they can do better. We already know something about Dumont: he can win face-offs, while White can't.

Anyhow, I would not mind to see both Dumont and White in the line-up, while Moen (or Amstrong) finds another jersey to wear. Who knows? Something might be in the works as I write this.

So far Dumont is playing in Montreal and Blunden in Hamilton. It tells a lot about management's evaluation, don't you think? As for Dumont, next game will be his third. He should feel more comfortable, Pateryn as well; let's see if they can do better. We already know something about Dumont: he can win face-offs, while White can't.

Anyhow, I would not mind to see both Dumont and White in the line-up, while Moen (or Amstrong) finds another jersey to wear. Who knows? Something might be in the works as I write this.

What? White can't win faceoffs? He's our leader in faceoff wins at 53.9%. Dumont took 16 faceoffs vs White's 128. You can't judge Dumont's faceoff ability in this league on 16 faceoffs.

What? White can't win faceoffs? He's our leader in faceoff wins at 53.9%. Dumont took 16 faceoffs vs White's 128. You can't judge Dumont's faceoff ability in this league on 16 faceoffs.

O.K. But can he make a pass?

O.K. But can he make a pass?

Can Dumont? Ryan White was pulling similar offensive numbers in Hamilton. Actually a tad better numbers. There's nothing statistically to show Dumont is better than White at anything. The only difference is Dumont is another smurf, which we don't need another one and he plays soft. At least White finishes his checks and can mix it up, which is what he's being paid to do. Dumont isn't getting points, isn't hitting and doesn't look like he has the drive to create anything in the NHL at this point in his career. Dumont is a good filler, but right now is not a NHL caliber player capable of keeping his spot in the lineup night after night when he has competition for his spot. White's compete level was never in question this season, it was his discipline.