Kovalchuk - Loktionov - Ponikarovsky
Zubrus - Josefson - Sullivan
Bernier - Carter - Gionta
Zidlicky - Volchenkov
Larsson - Greene
Harrold - Urbom

Brodeur/Hedberg

Not Expected to Play

Scratches: Kostopoulos, Barch, Henrique, Tallinder, Fayne, D'Agostini    Injured: Corrente

Scoring Leaders Montreal New Jersey
Goals
Assists
PIMS
Michael Ryder (16)
P.K. Subban (25)
Max Pacioretty (37)
Brandon Prust (+11)
Brandon Prust (104)
David Clarkson (14)
Patrik Elias (20)
Patrik Elias (33)
Andy Greene (+10)
David Clarkson (76)
Puck Drop: 7:00 PM EST TV: RDS, MSG+2 Radio: TSN 690 FM 98.5

Here's a completely irrelevant stat that somehow caught my eye. Of the 27 players on New Jersey's roster, the highest jersey number for any player is 33. Of the 26 players presently on the Habs' roster (excluding the callups), half of the team has a higher jersey number. I've always been a fan of low numbers which is why it caught my attention.

I've got a good feeling about this game. The Habs had two solid practises on Sunday and Monday...plus, Jersey is officially out of the playoffs. This team should be deflated and easy to play against. This will be our easiest game of the week, NO EXCUSES! We have to win, and win convincingly!

I think the Jets should be an easy win as well....Montreals had their number all season long so far and the Jets have been running into some injury trouble as well which doesn't help their cause

There's no confirmation yet but in practice yesterday the defence pairings were all changed. Subban was reunited with Bouillon from earlier in the year, so too were Diaz and Gorges. That leaves Markov and Weber together on what I'd have to guess is a 3rd pairing given the potential for iffy play in the defensive zone.

It's not going to matter much how you pair the defense up. The biggest guy is like 6'1'' 210,. Not really a recipe for succes, especially in the playoffs,.

I'm hoping Drewiske gets back in before long, either replacing Weber (who has played relatively well lately) or to give someone a night off. He's not a hard hitter but he's not going to get pushed around at least.

I agree, I think the best matches on D are

Gorges Markov

Bouillon Subban

Drewiski and let Weber and Diaz fight it out for the last spot.

I just can't see how the D will stand up to playoff style hockey. I believe Drewiski is 6'2" 220.

They can practice all they want, you can't teach size. I also wonder which forward sits come playoff time. Armstrong, Moen, Halpern and Prust will all be in the lineup barring inuuries.

I agree, I think the best matches on D are

Gorges Markov

Bouillon Subban

Drewiski and let Weber and Diaz fight it out for the last spot.

I just can't see how the D will stand up to playoff style hockey. I believe Drewiski is 6'2" 220.

They can practice all they want, you can't teach size. I also wonder which forward sits come playoff time. Armstrong, Moen, Halpern and Prust will all be in the lineup barring inuuries.

Diaz and Weber are far from the same boat. Diaz has demonstrated that he can play a regular role, be a positive defensively, while helping on the PP. Between those two it's an easy decision. Therrien has hesitated to turn Gorges on his wrong side (as he was often used the past couple of years) but I wouldn't mind that being tried - Markov won't be put on his off side but I think that would be an interesting pairing.

Without Diaz injury i agree with you, he has been really bad since his return. Hopefully just rust.

I heard that about Gorges. If my memory is correct, Gorges is actually a RD. He was in San Jose and the first few years as a hab. Moving him to the LD was something Montreal did. I'm sure someone will know for sure. Either way, he is the only competant D who can switch sides effectively. Drewiski and Bouillon looked poor on the RD.

The worst two D during this mess have been Gorges and Markov. Markov needs limited minutes and Gorges needs to get his act together.

Clearly, Price has to be stellar. He can't let in that first goal tonight.

I don't care if the Habs lose the next 3 games 20-0. I have enough confidence in this team, as well as think they do themselves, that they will right the ship when the playoffs start. They played excellent the entire season until the very game that they clinched a playoff birth. For me that is too much of a coincidence to start panicking and doubting. Now whether or not they are satisfied with merely making the playoffs this year, or going on run is another thing....

Without Diaz injury i agree with you, he has been really bad since his return. Hopefully just rust.

He has played all of one game since his return - one that he managed an even rating in a 5-1 loss so I don't think it's fair to call him much of anything, let alone bad after one game.

I heard that about Gorges. If my memory is correct, Gorges is actually a RD. He was in San Jose and the first few years as a hab. Moving him to the LD was something Montreal did. I'm sure someone will know for sure. Either way, he is the only competant D who can switch sides effectively. Drewiski and Bouillon looked poor on the RD.

He's a natural LD but has spent a lot of his career on the right, just like Drewiske for that matter though as you note, they're not exactly the same calibre of player.

Since I contributed a useless factoid earlier with the jersey numbers, here's a real stat. In the past six Montreal games, whoever has scored first has won. Also, New Jersey is tied for the third worst winning percentage in the NHL when trailing after one. Therefore, it might be a good idea to get the first goal tonight.

It sounds like both Adam Henrique and Henrik Tallinder are healthy scratches for New Jersey. Jacob Josefson and Alex Urbom are in for them...I guess I get to guess the new lines.

Edit: D'Agostini is out as well.

If Price can make the early saves and the boys get that first goal, our chances of winning will be good. The guys have to drive the net and not just control perimeter play and take easy shots.

Whew! Price bailed them out on the scramble in front of the net.

Forwards need to get more scoring chances soon.