Lecavalier bought out...

TheDriveFor25

Just about to post this lol.. Is it wise? I think for the right amount of $, I'd give him a 3 year deal.

I have a feeling the Leafs will be all over this unfortunately.

He has a lot to offer us. Big body, leadership and if healthy, 60-75 points. But that's the problem. He's only good for about 65 game or so.

Then the other problem, he's a Center right? Where does he fit.? We'd have to trade Desh I think. Imagine a Center of lecavalier plecanec Eller...

Gallagher, Lecavalier, Pacioretty

Galchenyuk, Eller, Bickell

Bourque Plekanec Prust

Moen White Armstrong

Trade Gio, Markov, Desharnaisn for a D upgrade...

I would say if we did pick up Vinny, it would be the end of the line for Eller, Pleks or Desharnais. Honestly this might be a good chance to get trade Desharnais. He's signed to a new contract, not too expensive, young and can produce points. I know he's the type of player we need, but he would do better on a team where his size wouldn't be such a team factor.

Gallagher, Lecavalier, Pacioretty

Galchenyuk, Eller, Bickell

Bourque Plekanec Prust

Moen White Armstrong

Trade Gio, Markov, Desharnaisn for a D upgrade...

Problem is that they won't be able to packaged very easily with a combined cap hit of 14+ million dollars.

Markov desharnais and a pick might get a good return.

He will go to the Leafs by his own choice and the habs will be vilified by RDS and Le Journal De Montreal for Vinny's choice.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand the Leafs talk.. Why would a kid who grew up loving the Habs, has been adored by their fans even while playing for a different team.. Sign with their rival?

Guest Stogey24

I bet Montreal goes after him. You make room for a player like Vinny. He brings skill and size up the middle, exactly what we need. I could see them keeping Desharnais and trading Pleky if they were to try and acquired Lecavalier.

To me it is absolutely a no-brainer. Sign Vinny, dump Desharnais. Instant significant upgrade.

If we do sign him, though, we should realize we're getting a guy more likely to get 60-70 points than the superstar of yore. Which is fine with me - he brings a ton of attributes this team could really use. For now, at least. Within 2-3 years we will have a huge backlog at C even without Desharnais.,

The trouble is, he will be a hot commodity. I think Vancouver will do ANYTHING to get him, for instance. So would Toronto. The irony is that Lecavalier could be bought out, only to receive another totally untenable contract paying him like he's some kind of franchise player instead of a former star settling into his merely-reasonably-productive 30s.

Finally, Vinny has never shown any interest in playing in Montreal...a disposition I consider completely soulless. French Canadian stars have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live out one of the great myths and traditions in all of sports by donning the CH. It is a measure of their callowness, cowardice or greed when they don't.

To me it is absolutely a no-brainer. Sign Vinny, dump Desharnais. Instant significant upgrade.

If we do sign him, though, we should realize we're getting a guy more likely to get 60-70 points than the superstar of yore. Which is fine with me - he brings a ton of attributes this team could really use. For now, at least. Within 2-3 years we will have a huge backlog at C even without Desharnais.,

The trouble is, he will be a hot commodity. I think Vancouver will do ANYTHING to get him, for instance. So would Toronto. The irony is that Lecavalier could be bought out, only to receive another totally untenable contract paying him like he's some kind of franchise player instead of a former star settling into his merely-reasonably-productive 30s.

Finally, Vinny has never shown any interest in playing in Montreal...a disposition I consider completely soulless. French Canadian stars have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live out one of the great myths and traditions in all of sports by donning the CH. It is a measure of their callowness, cowardice or greed when they don't.

which is why i get pissed out at the RDS/Bergeron/Trembley crowd that continue to hammer the habs for not going after french canadian players, when its the players who don't want to play in montreal.

I see vinny going to the Leafs, rangers, panthers, wings or canucks. I don't think he has any interest in playing in Montreal.

I know teams can't buy their own bought out players back, but is there anything to stop say Tampa Bay buying Briere and Philly buying Lecavilear at reduced rates and then trading them back to their former teams? Left field question I know, but I'm curious if teams could circumvent the system.

I know teams can't buy their own bought out players back, but is there anything to stop say Tampa Bay buying Briere and Philly buying Lecavilear at reduced rates and then trading them back to their former teams? Left field question I know, but I'm curious if teams could circumvent the system.

yep. NHL just closed that loop hole. Can't do a trade, buyout and resign. There was a rumour that TB would trade him to the Leafs, have the leafs buy him out and then resign him, but the NHL closed that loop hole that was in the new CBA.

yep. NHL just closed that loop hole. Can't do a trade, buyout and resign. There was a rumour that TB would trade him to the Leafs, have the leafs buy him out and then resign him, but the NHL closed that loop hole that was in the new CBA.

Ok cool. Thanks for the info. There goes my career as a CBA consultant. Lol

I for one believe Lecavalier has zero interest playing for Montreal, even now as a UFA and will only use Montreal as a way to get a better deal elsewhere.

Lecavalier knows the drama. He doesn't have to be on the team to see it. He has been treated like he was Beliveau's son and he doesn't have to deal with any of the heat for his on ice performances or the fact he's slowing down. He'll always be held in highest regard as long as he never signs with the Canadiens. Also, he doesn't miss out on a single Quebec endorsement deal because he's playing elsewhere. He still gets them all. So why ruin a good thing?

Vinny was already going to become a division rival but watch as news leaks that he'll plan to sign with a Toronto or Detroit to "put the pressure on Bergevin" to bring him to Montreal. If Bergevin is smart he'll ignore it. If he gets caught up, he'll probably end up increasing Vinny's price for the team that snags him, which hey ain't that bad but it still means Bergevin is putting time into Vinny instead of other things.

While this seems like the "perfect time", I think maybe a season before he retires will be when Lecavalier finally decides to sign with Montreal. And he won't get any heat for his play because everyone will know it's a retirement tour.

I for one believe Lecavalier has zero interest playing for Montreal, even now as a UFA and will only use Montreal as a way to get a better deal elsewhere.

Lecavalier knows the drama. He doesn't have to be on the team to see it. He has been treated like he was Beliveau's son and he doesn't have to deal with any of the heat for his on ice performances or the fact he's slowing down. He'll always be held in highest regard as long as he never signs with the Canadiens. Also, he doesn't miss out on a single Quebec endorsement deal because he's playing elsewhere. He still gets them all. So why ruin a good thing?

Vinny was already going to become a division rival but watch as news leaks that he'll plan to sign with a Toronto or Detroit to "put the pressure on Bergevin" to bring him to Montreal. If Bergevin is smart he'll ignore it. If he gets caught up, he'll probably end up increasing Vinny's price for the team that snags him, which hey ain't that bad but it still means Bergevin is putting time into Vinny instead of other things.

While this seems like the "perfect time", I think maybe a season before he retires will be when Lecavalier finally decides to sign with Montreal. And he won't get any heat for his play because everyone will know it's a retirement tour.

Right. Like I said: soullessness, cowardice, and greed. What a turd.

He will go to the Leafs by his own choice and the habs will be vilified by RDS and Le Journal De Montreal for Vinny's choice.

Trust me, If Vinny refuses to Come to Montreal because the Leafs offered him half a million more, he will be the bad guy.

On a different note, would a 3 year 9 million$ contract be too much? Too little? If I'm Bergevin, I'd make him an offer right now. Take it or leave it, you have one week to accept.

If he doesn't accept, Bergevin can tell the media he did his best, but with the Cap coming down next year, the Habs couldn't afford more that that.

I completely agree with you CC!

I wouldn't be all that surprised if he signed a 1 year deal somewhere and then went right back to Tampa Bay the following year.

If he wants a one year deal the implication is obvious. I really want to sign him, The big centre, leader, goals scorer, and french canadien. He is a gift from the hockey gods to Montreal. Having said that it does worry me that he may not want to come to the Habs, unless they import some beaches and sunshine for the winter. I think we offer him 5 years@ 5 million, ntc. If someone wants him for more than that, he is theirs. As to desharnais, nice guy, Not anywhere near the level of Vinny. The big question is will come to Montreal? who knows? Lets ask him in a nice way. :habslogo:

Trust me, If Vinny refuses to Come to Montreal because the Leafs offered him half a million more, he will be the bad guy.

On a different note, would a 3 year 9 million$ contract be too much? Too little? If I'm Bergevin, I'd make him an offer right now. Take it or leave it, you have one week to accept.

If he doesn't accept, Bergevin can tell the media he did his best, but with the Cap coming down next year, the Habs couldn't afford more that that.

I completely agree with you CC!

I'd imaging Vinny will still be looking for $4m+ per season, he could easily get $5m+.