2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Are the Islanders going to re-sign Vanek? Because if not then this is a short-sighted trade. Sure, they might get fireworks for a year, but they're not at the stage to be trading top picks to put themselves over the top.

In principle, I agree with you and was thinking the same way originally. However, they may very well be at the right stage to go for it. Look at their division:

Pittsburgh: Still the cream of the crop

NY Rangers: Slow start, can't score to save their life. (They're a wildcard since they haven't played at home yet though.)

Philly: Getting good goaltending (that won't last), they can't score either

Carolina: Not expected to be any good, will be rolling Justin Peters as their starter for a bit so they'll drop

New Jersey: Also have issues with scoring, not expected to be a threat

Washington: They're not firing on all cylinders just like last year

Columbus: Bobrovsky isn't playing at Vezina form and they're banged up a bit

I could see the Isles with this deal making a strong play for 2nd in the division. In this new system, if you've got a shot at being a top-2 team in a division, you're in good shape. Moulson probably wasn't coming back next year so they get a improved rental for most of the year (they're not getting him for 20 games after the deadline but rather for 71 games) and if they're near the top of their division, their pick won't be too high in what isn't supposed to be too deep of a draft. That also should give them a big boost at the box office which is also a factor. It's a steep price but I think it's justifiable for them.

Yeah, their division is iffy, but so are the Islanders. Keep in mind they also gave up their second best player, and still have suspect goaltending and defense. There are a lot of things that would have to go right for this move to be worth it, but you're right that the early season is the best time for them to gamble. I'm happy I'm not an Islanders fan because I'd be pissed right now, but it's the type of move that's entertaining to see other teams make.

And on the subject of the new playoff format, does anyone else think it will be terrible? It seems like it will force a bunch of undeserved matchups (i.e. weaker teams getting easier opponents than stronger teams). There are many probable scenarios where it will be better to finish 2nd or 3rd rather than face the top wildcard team. I also don't like the intra-division series they're going to force on us, I prefer that they happen organically within the conference, but I guess that's how it used to be anyways.

Are the Islanders going to re-sign Vanek? Because if not then this is a short-sighted trade. Sure, they might get fireworks for a year, but they're not at the stage to be trading top picks to put themselves over the top.

This is the Islanders, they just keep putting money on the table till the guy signs. I would say the Sabres won this trade hands down. The draft picks will be good ones. The Islanders are going nowhere.

Interesting to note that Moulson has actually outscored Vanek over the last couple of years. I'm not ruling out an explosive resurgence by Vanek when paired with Tavares, but there's at least a possibility that the Isles made the classic mistake of trading for a rep and a name rather than seriously upgrading - and that's not even considering the picks. Just a thought.

Interesting to note that Moulson has actually outscored Vanek over the last couple of years. I'm not ruling out an explosive resurgence by Vanek when paired with Tavares, but there's at least a possibility that the Isles made the classic mistake of trading for a rep and a name rather than seriously upgrading - and that's not even considering the picks. Just a thought.

I agree. I think, in fact, that there is a strong possibility, even probability, that this trade will be a disaster for the Isles. If i were and Isles fan I would be livid that they failed to add any conditions or riders to this trade to offer some degree of protection against disaster. It could be that the Isles end up with nothing --if they do not re-sign TV they will have wasted two picks

I agree. Islanders overpaid. I like Buffalo"s side. They already got some nice prospects, and they are going to add young value to mix. Moulson isn't too shabby as well. Are we seeing the beginning of the end of Garth Snow? i sure hope this isn't the template for future values around league.

Could be very interesting at the deadline is the Isles are out of the playoffs. Both players back on the market with both teams looking to pick up extras. Buffalo may look better and better if they can flip Moulson for another 1st rounder at that point.

The Isles have been saying for years, "once we leave Nassau, we'll spend money"

Well, next year they leave Nassau.

Seems to me this trade is them addressing doubters who said "put up or shut up".... If Vanek shows any chemistry with Tavares, I bet he re-signs.

I also think the team is not done.

They will get a goalie and a defenceman before the trade deadline. They see their division the exact way it was laid out above, its weak... a fight with Pittsburgh for the division is theirs if they want it.

Apparently, Vanek turned down an extension from Buffalo that could have made him the highest paid player in the league. I like Vanek but they probably dodged a bullet there. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/10/in-no-surprise-vanek-says-he-was-ready-to-move-on-from-sabres.html

Also, Calgary released their third jerseys yesterday. http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2013/10/27/flames-unveil-new-third-jersey.html I'm not usually a fan of third jerseys but I don't mind these (except for the #5 on Giordano's, that looks bad).

Yeah, I give those jerseys a -5 negative thumbs down on five. a) they look like Walmart knock-offs b) WHY DID THEY STICK THE FLAMING C THERE

At least we know we'll never go lower than the barber pole monstrosities - may they never again see the light of day!

Those jerseys are a big "meh."

The Habs, as is fitting, have the greatest third jersey in all of hockey - the CH on white with the blue band behind it. I love it so much I wish we would make it our regular road jersey. It's killer.

Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov has been arrested for 2nd degree kidnapping and 3rd degree assault. Wow.

Wow..

(Trying to write a comment that doesn't involve the fate of my fantasy hockey team)

Surprising news, while he was playing that good. You wouldn't have guessed something like that was going on.

Haha sakicq! I have a buddy on my soccer team who was saying the same thing about his fantasy team! I asked him if he could request a category for kidnapping, which would make him a clear winner.

We were trying to figger out what Shanahan would say:

The principle point of contact was the gag in the mouth, followed by tying the hands behind the back.

Okay, making light of a serious situation, my bad. Apologies to those offended.

BUT REALLY... principle point of contact! Jon Stewart would have a field day!

This is the type of thing that could derail a fragile, inexperienced team. Pretty big test for Roy on how he handles it.

This is where having a Giguère as your #1b goalie could be a HUUUUGE bonus.

I read somewhere that the CBA states that a player under criminal investigation can be suspended by the NHL (I assume Varly will make bail). Anyone smarter than me know anything about this?

I read somewhere that the CBA states that a player under criminal investigation can be suspended by the NHL (I assume Varly will make bail). Anyone smarter than me know anything about this?

This is the closest I could find:

18-A.5 Criminal Investigation. A Player subject to Commissioner Discipline for Off-Ice Conduct may seek a reasonable delay in such proceedings in order to retain and seek the advice of counsel in the event his conduct may also be subject to a criminal investigation by any governmental authority, or in the event of an ongoing civil proceeding where the Player has been named as a defendant. The League may suspend the Player pending the League's formal review and disposition of the matter where the failure to suspend the Player during this period would create a substantial risk of material harm to the legitimate interests and/or reputation of the League.

Colorado trades Steve Downie back to Philly for Maxime Talbot. That's a curious move on Colorado's part.

They must be ingratiating themselves to their #2 media market: Quebec. I agree, it's pretty puzzling, Downie was playing on a top line for them.