2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

They must be ingratiating themselves to their #2 media market: Quebec. I agree, it's pretty puzzling, Downie was playing on a top line for them.

If I had to guess their rationale, it'd be money. Talbot has a $1.75 M cap hit (around $1M below Downie) but both of the remaining years on his deal are somewhat below the AAV. The Kroneke's are known for being a bit cheap in Colorado.

If I had to guess their rationale, it'd be money. Talbot has a $1.75 M cap hit (around $1M below Downie) but both of the remaining years on his deal are somewhat below the AAV. The Kroneke's are known for being a bit cheap in Colorado.

They're also known for being cheap in England. Downie's a free agent too, and they saw that he was earning a big new deal. Still pretty strange to mess with chemistry of a young team doing so well.

Too bad for Scott, I know many like to say he is a goon and deserves it, but 7 games for simply overpowering a guy with his head down, in open ice just is crazy for a 1st time offender.

But 2 (or several) sets of rules for different type of players and again NHL shows it bush league highly subjective tendencies.

There's a double standard for sure, but seeing as I favour massively higher suspensions in general, I'm not going to object to this.

I completely agree the the second part of your sentiment, and I'm very bitter because I agree with the first part as well. Chara on someone else? Probably no suspension.

There's a double standard for sure, but seeing as I favour massively higher suspensions in general, I'm not going to object to this.

Yes I am with you, to toss book at the gutless shoves from behind, late hits, childish fighters, cross checks to the neck, kneeing etc.

But to go overboard on a solid check, with no "flying" Craig Ludwig-type elbow, in open ice, 1st time offender, just seems unfair.

And I am not a fan of Parros-Shelley-Scott type players one bit (and think they will be gone from the game once the old timers are gone and will be a better game), but fair is fair and 3-5 games for repeat offenders drilling guys into the boards, how can 7 be justified?

The guy with puck had to of known he was coming across the ice (Scott is hard to miss and fellow Bruins should of yelled a warning at least, maybe just happened too fast?), same as when I saw Geoffrion get smoked, all could see d-man backing across the ice lining him up (a la Subban), watching the play I assumed Geoffrion was going to try and avoid him, but he simply was more focused on puck, thought he sneak by him, misjudged and hit went horribly wrong.

Subban best be prepared for similar type injuries on apposing forwards, with the way goes for the huge hit almost every game, sooner or later he will catch a smaller player completely unaware and will turn ugly. And all are lucky Chara never ran around looking for hits like that (Pacioretty hit aside) or he would leave a trail of destruction as bad as or much worse than Scott Stevens did.

But it is a contact sport and all know that when signing up to play and if don't keep your head up, your at high risk of a lot of pain.

Canucks did very well to get the Sedins on four year deals instead of something longer, and at a reasonable number. This ensures that they'll be in or around the playoffs for the next few years, it's just a matter of getting a decent supporting cast.

Colour me confused. I watched the Emery-Holtby "fight" like 5 times now and something becomes apparent. Holtby wasn't a willing combatant in that fight.

Emery goes the entire length of the ice.

Emery throws off his helmet, glove and block, then grabs Holtby.

Holtby still has his helmet, glove and blocker on.

Emery knocks off Holtby's helmet and unloads on him.

The ref does not stop the "fight."

Holtby still isn't punching and his blocker falls off trying to not get mauled.

At no point does Holtby attempt nor get his glove off.

At no point does Holtby throw a punch.

At no point does Holtby appear to be a willing combatant.

Emery fails to get a helmet penalty, automatic fight stoppage.

The ref lets the fight go when one of the combatants is clearly NOT fighting.

Instead the ref stops other players and officials from getting involved.

I'm not against fighting in hockey, I actually encourage it. This was a clear example refs have no idea what they are doing. That is one ref that just wanted to watch a fight, not do his job.

They'll be 34 when the contracts kick in - 4 years is 1 longer than I'd have liked if I were them (Vancouver was pushing for 3, the Sedins 5) but that's not a crazy term either.

It's a good contract. A no-brainer for the Canucks. The shame of it is that these superb players are unlikely ever to enjoy the supporting cast that will allow them to win anything, given the complete dog's breakfast that Gillis has assembled up front.

Speaking of the Canucks...what a lame franchise. Not only does having Stan Smyl and Markus Naslund hanging up there devalue the currency of retired sweaters, but the guy had a grand total of three 50+ goal seasons with that particular team, before leaving under a cloud of hostility. Was he a great player? Yeah. But three great years, plus a lockout-shortened, an injury-decimated, and a mediocre year does not a jersey-retirement-worthy player make - at least on a world-class franchise. But as was the case with the Naslund retirement, if you deliver 3 top-end seasons, that's enough for the Canuckleheads to retire your jersey. Not to mention that the ceremony kept referring to the fact that he is the ONLY Canuck in the Hall of Fame - which ought to be an embarassment to a 40-year-old franchise. Lame, lame, lame.

EDIT: and then there's the Avs' appalling decision to retire Adam Foote's sweater. What is going on in the NHL, such that jersey retirement has become totally devalued? ONLY ALL-TIME GREATS SHOULD HAVE THEIR JERSEY RETIRED. PERIOD.

Play of the season last night when the fan took off the helmet of the Winnipeg Jet who was sent through the glass. Also, his wife for dumping beer on said Jet.

• Upvote 1

Play of the season last night when the fan took off the helmet of the Winnipeg Jet who was sent through the glass. Also, his wife for dumping beer on said Jet.

AND he wore the helmet! If those two have kids, they must be so proud!

The axe has fallen on another NHL coach as Kevin Dineen was fired from Florida today (his assistants got fired as well). Peter Horachek is their new interim bench boss; he'll be joined by a pair of assistants who have ties to the Habs in the past: Brian Skrudland (used to play for Montreal) and John Madden (who was a scout for the Habs last year).

Erik Cole: 16 games, one goal, four assists.

Don't think we're gonna have to worry much about that one.

Indeed. Kudos to Bergevin for correctly identifying that this player was done. A shame that he wasted the cap space on Brière, though. Frankly, I'd consider trading Briere for today's Cole straight up, given team needs; we could use a hulking third liner. So Bergevin both created a fine opportunity and proceeded to squander it.