2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Yes, if you get Centre Ice, you're covered. For me, that's an increase from $2/month (grandfathered price) to over $30/month, far from ideal. (And with Rogers now owning the distribution rights, that may jump considerably higher since I'm not with them.) As for the RDS games not getting blacked out, people are speculating it but by the definition of the agreement, they can't be national (TVA has exclusive French national rights, not just national French rights on Saturdays).

The TSN Habs regional deal is apparently up this year (Winnipeg extends into 2021 so that news surprised me) so there's a chance that Sportsnet could pick up the regional rights...though the same issue would exist; games on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday will still be subject to blackout. The "no more blackouts" statement uttered during the press conference was quickly amended to note that. There will still be blackout games on Sportsnet, just nowhere near as many.

No I didn't say ideal, just that if "fanatics" are willing to pony up the $, games are still "available" somewhere on the dial, it wont be worst case.

But less competition is never a good thing for public.

This was bound to happen.

I still have a few connections in the telecommunications industry and they've been hinting that Bell wanted to do the same deal basically. However, Bell wanted to push Hockey Night in Canada aside. They wanted to use the name with their purchased theme song but it would just be TSN. The NHL didn't like that. If you watched the press conference you'll see how protective Bettman was about Don Cherry. He's unfortunately a good thing to the NHL.

Bell first negotiated a deal where they get Wednesday on TSN, Rogers gets another day and CBC keeps Saturday. Then the NHL proposed an idea where someone takes everything over and works with CBC. Bell proposed them running everything through TSN/RDS/CTV while pushing CBC out of Saturday. Rogers then came in with an offer that ran everything through Sportsnet/TVA/CITY while keeping CBC around. It wasn't much more money but it was a more respectable deal. Rogers is basically letting CBC have HNIC for a few years on their dime. That's why they are taking over HNIC.

Basically, it all boils down to that the NHL wanted someone to take over everything without looking like the villain. Going with Bell would make more "hardcore hockey" people happy but would anger a lot of casuals with the treatment of CBC. Rogers makes the hardcore hockey people scoff since they've been second rate for a while, but the casuals still keep their CBC people so they are happy. Bell has been teasing taking over HNIC for years now. NHL knows it. CBC did too. Which is why CBC went to bed with Rogers.

So basically it's which devil you want. The Bell devil or the Rogers devil? We now have the Rogers devil and at least they seem keen on giving us the Canadiens on CBC over the Leafs.

As for TSN, don't listen to anyone saying they are gonna die over this. TSN will get the CHL rights in 2014 and are already starting to pick up various regional games. Expect "The Insiders" segment on Sportscentre to turn into a 30 minute show. TSN will ramp up hockey coverage to fill the blanks of no hockey games. Also don't be surprised for them to take back wrestling. Having the WWF and WCW back between 1998-2002 helped replace the missing NHL games back when they last lost NHL games. Right now WWE is with an exclusive deal with Sportsnet 360 (formerly the Score) and WWE will be more than happy to go back to TSN. TSN will take a hit, but they will find ways to recover. Unfortunately, also expect more golf games. Golf ad money is the best in sports.

Quite possible. Honestly, if they lost LeBrun I'd have no reason to watch them. I have very little respect for McKenzie these days.

LeBrun? Who?

Most of TSN hockey crew, with idiot McGuire gone, I find are pretty sane and entertaining. Gord Miller-Mike Johnson-Ray F etc do games very well.

Entertaining maybe but not informative. Probably the most entertaining moment last season was Aaron Ward announcing Iginla to the Bruins.

Not very informative? Because Ward (and Bruins GM) got a surprise at last moment? McKenzie is still go to guy and quite respected opinion, or seemingly anyways.

So I disagree, but media sets a pretty low bar overall (e.g. Cherry, Milbury, McQuire, Maclean, Healy, John Garrett etc etc)

Not very informative? Because Ward (and Bruins GM) got a surprise at last moment? McKenzie is still go to guy and quite respected opinion, or seemingly anyways.

So I disagree, but media sets a pretty low bar overall (e.g. Cherry, Milbury, McQuire, Maclean, Healy, John Garrett etc etc)

A lot of my problem with McKenzie these days is how he uses Twitter. He uses it when he has an axe to grind and will argue with journalists and hockey players. He's completely lost his integrity. Unfortunately, because he used to have quite a bit in an integrity lacking industry (hockey journalism), too many journalists will go through college thinking bickering about numbers with Nazem Kadri is the way one should conduct themselves.

He's also shown himself in the past two years to be completely ignorant on Montreal Canadiens information, yet he continues to report on them without knowledge. His handling of the Subban contract last year was embarrassing.

A lot of my problem with McKenzie these days is how he uses Twitter. He uses it when he has an axe to grind and will argue with journalists and hockey players. He's completely lost his integrity. Unfortunately, because he used to have quite a bit in an integrity lacking industry (hockey journalism), too many journalists will go through college thinking bickering about numbers with Nazem Kadri is the way one should conduct themselves.

He's also shown himself in the past two years to be completely ignorant on Montreal Canadiens information, yet he continues to report on them without knowledge. His handling of the Subban contract last year was embarrassing.

You speak of stuff i know nothing about, nor have noticed. And anything is better than Sportsnet gongshow crew, so like i said the bar is quite low and most of TSN crew i dont mind at all (Steve Simmins guy seems like a twit, but cant think of others that bug me). Duthy, Pang, Ward and bunch i find humerous at times and entertaining at least.

As for TSN, don't listen to anyone saying they are gonna die over this. TSN will get the CHL rights in 2014 and are already starting to pick up various regional games. Expect "The Insiders" segment on Sportscentre to turn into a 30 minute show. TSN will ramp up hockey coverage to fill the blanks of no hockey games. Also don't be surprised for them to take back wrestling. Having the WWF and WCW back between 1998-2002 helped replace the missing NHL games back when they last lost NHL games. Right now WWE is with an exclusive deal with Sportsnet 360 (formerly the Score) and WWE will be more than happy to go back to TSN. TSN will take a hit, but they will find ways to recover. Unfortunately, also expect more golf games. Golf ad money is the best in sports.

I think you'll see them go hard after an extended NBA package and probably some MLB too. (Yes, Rogers owns the Jays but when the NHL playoffs and the Jays are playing from April through June, they're probably going to have to cut back on baseball, opening up a spot for TSN to jump in and at least pick up the non-Jays MLB package.) Both networks survived before, both will now...though a lot of the programming will be flipped around over the next few years.

Also, James Mirtle posted some cap projections over the life of the CBA. These are some big numbers (late years pretty much just factor in the NHLPA's 5% annual escalator).

BaGAlfbCUAAocZL.png

Living in Vancouver as I do, this sounds like an absolute impending catastrophe. I'm not paying $30/month for NHL Centre Ice because I can't afford the hit. So apparently I will have access to 20 Habs' games next season. Oh, well...so much for making informed comments on this site. Unless I can find an illegal feed.

Living in Vancouver as I do, this sounds like an absolute impending catastrophe. I'm not paying $30/month for NHL Centre Ice because I can't afford the hit. So apparently I will have access to 20 Habs' games next season. Oh, well...so much for making informed comments on this site. Unless I can find an illegal feed.

You'll get more than 20 as the national English games should comprise around half of the Habs' schedule. All Wed/Sat/Sun games are supposed to be broadcast nationally in English so as long as you have CBC/Sportsnet/City, you should get those. Losing half the games though still sucks. Hopefully they can find a way to improve that.

You'll get more than 20 as the English games should comprise around half of the Habs' schedule. All Wed/Sat/Sun games are supposed to be broadcast nationally in English so as long as you have CBC/Sportsnet/City, you should get those.

Ah! Well thanks for that clarification. I don't watch all their games anyway due to family and work commitments, so I certainly can live with 50% or thereabouts. Phew. :thumbs_up: Unfortunately, though, the loss of French-language telecasts will cause my lingering French to keel over and finally die. Oh well.

EDIT: dlbalr, I just to give you some props. You are the guy we can all count on to clarify these kind of nitty-gritty administrative/logistical details - the HW equivalent of a team capologist. It's a really valuable contribution, and given that few of us have the kind of mind that takes to such fine-grained logistical matters, we'd be hugely impoverished without your presence around here. Kudos. :halm:

Ah! Well thanks for that clarification. I don't watch all their games anyway due to family and work commitments, so I certainly can live with 50% or thereabouts. Phew. :thumbs_up: Unfortunately, though, the loss of French-language telecasts will cause my lingering French to keel over and finally die. Oh well.

EDIT: dlbalr, I just to give you some props. You are the guy we can all count on to clarify these kind of nitty-gritty administrative/logistical details - the HW equivalent of a team capologist. It's a really valuable contribution, and given that few of us have the kind of mind that takes to such fine-grained logistical matters, we'd be hugely impoverished without your presence around here. Kudos. :halm:

Not to get your hopes up too much but one of the Sportsnet executives said they've kicked around the idea of a Sportsnet-based Centre Ice package for their regional games (Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri) where you pay a few bucks a month and get to see the regional games regardless of where you are. SN doesn't have Montreal's regional games but TSN's regional package for Montreal expires at the end of the season; if they wanted, SN could try to get the regional package back (they used to have it years ago) and then those games could be included in this proposed mini CI. It's still a higher cost (cheaper than the full CI though) but it would be much more palatable and would result in at least a higher percentage of games available country-wide regardless of how the French deal works out.

And thanks for the kind words (and MoLG who posted while I was writing this), it's much appreciated.

TVA is going to pay Rogers slightly over $120 M per year to be the French language broadcaster as part of the recent TV agreement. That recoups the better part of $1.5 B of the deal right there. That's a lot of money to pay to have the right to put two people in a cramped studio and do voice over on the majority of their games (except for Montreal, probably Ottawa, and some playoff games). According to the Globe and Mail, the network lost over $20 million last year making this a particularly risky pickup for them.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/hockeys-french-connection/article15642270/

Latendresse returns to Montrela from the Swiss league where he was trying to rebuild his career - after suffering yet another concussion during practice. He was given his outright release. He refuses to call it a career... yet.

You GOTTA SEE this angle of the Sabres OT goal last night.

It went Through Gunnarsson’s skate.

He could shoot that 1000 times and not get the same result.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/11/30/must-see-the-sabres-ot-goal-went-through-leafs-skate/

holy !!!

Robidas snapped his leg off, reminescent of the Kevin Ware injury in the Final Four. It could be curtains for him.

Too bad, I always liked his play and he has had a good career for a 7th round Hab pick. I imagine TVA or RDS would find a spot for him.

Henrik Lundqvist gets a 7 year, $59.5 M extension (8.5 cap hit) from the Rangers. He'll be 32 when the extension kicks in. I know he's one of the top goalies and that the cap is due to jump but I find that cap hit and term to both be excessive.