Oct. 28, Habs vs Rangers, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

It seemed like having Murray playing sound third pair stay at home defense, rubbed off on the other d men. "Oh ya, that's how you do it."

Markov is getting better every game. He looks better in his own end. We have a number one and a number two defenseman. That's crazy. When was the last time that happened? Markov Hamerlik? Nice to see the Eller line vet on the board. Plek is so good right now. Not just his goals. This guy is an amazing penalty killer. So smart.

Leblanc has 4 goals in Hamilton. How come he shouldn't be there but Holland should?

I'm glad he's been called up. I think he'll be good at both ends of the ice. Hopefully he'll supplant Desharnais as third line center.

Leblanc hasn't played Centre on a regular basis in 3 years. He's a RW now.

Just had to laugh when Murray simply freightrained some Ranger. He took a penalty for it, but he brings something the d-core has been missing since..?

As long as he, like Gill, realizes his limitations and plays to his strength he can be a useful 3rd pairing guy.

And yes he will get beat and look like a pylon once in a while, but that happens to all big d-men, even Pronger or a Chara (as Datsyuk did a week or so ago) look like a slug vs small quick skaters, once in a while.

Just had to laugh when Murray simply freightrained some Ranger. He took a penalty for it, but he brings something the d-core has been missing since..?

As long as he, like Gill, realizes his limitations and plays to his strength he can be a useful 3rd pairing guy.

And yes he will get beat and look like a pylon once in a while, but that happens to all big d-men, even Pronger or a Chara (as Datsyuk did a week or so ago) look like a slug vs small quick skaters, once in a while.

Uh, since Emelin went down late last year?

Uh, since Emelin went down late last year?

Yes of course, I had thoughts of maybe Souray-Mara-Ludwig and drew a blank on 74, must of been too obvious for me maybe?

I wonder how soon he will be back, just couple weeks hopefully?

I've said since he was signed that Murray was an important acquisition - not because he's some star, but because he fills a glaring, massive, gaping team need. Good to see that the initial returns bears this out.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully Emelin is progressing nicely because our defence will look, dare I say it, tough? with him back. And one of Diaz/Cube will sit, depending on other injuries, of course.

Okay, that almost made me excited at the Habs defence!

Subban

Markov

Gorges

Emelin

Murray

Diaz

__

Cube

Beaulieu

Tinordi

Pateryn

That top six is a nice mix and match of skill and mean.

Okay, that almost made me excited at the Habs defence!

Subban

Markov

Gorges

Emelin

Murray

Diaz

__

Cube

Beaulieu

Tinordi

Pateryn

That top six is a nice mix and match of skill and mean.

No one remembers poor Drewiske. :)

No one remembers poor Drewiske. :)

To be fair, he'll be out for most of the season.

Take into account a probable Hamilton trip to get into game shape, and he may not even play a game for the Habs this season.

It seemed like having Murray playing sound third pair stay at home defense, rubbed off on the other d men. "Oh ya, that's how you do it."

Markov is getting better every game. He looks better in his own end. We have a number one and a number two defenseman. That's crazy. When was the last time that happened? Markov Hamerlik? Nice to see the Eller line vet on the board. Plek is so good right now. Not just his goals. This guy is an amazing penalty killer. So smart.

Markov - Hamrlik is light years behind Markov-Subban.

If they can resign Markov and Subban and still have room for Eller this year and the increases for both Gally's next year, we have the potential to have a better defence next year if Belieau and Tinordi are ready then what we had in the 80's.

My worry is we will let Makov walk. This is why i had hoped PG would have signed Markov to a longer term deal then 3 years. 3 years didn't make sense, since now to sign him for more years is more of a risk, since he is over 35.

Markov - Hamrlik is light years behind Markov-Subban.

If they can resign Markov and Subban and still have room for Eller this year and the increases for both Gally's next year, we have the potential to have a better defence next year if Belieau and Tinordi are ready then what we had in the 80's.

My worry is we will let Makov walk. This is why i had hoped PG would have signed Markov to a longer term deal then 3 years. 3 years didn't make sense, since now to sign him for more years is more of a risk, since he is over 35.

Haha. I love it. And I'm not complaining about what you said at all here, but isn't it amusing how people were ready to call his last contract one of the major duds because of all his injuries? Fact is, Markov is *still* one of the better defensemen in hockey today.

I really hope it continues, but I have not seen Markov get burned defensively in a while. Markov has adjusted to his lower foot speed and is playing amazing defense. I think some of it has to do with MT. He seems to adjust well. Seeing all the odd man rushes last season, and in the fist several games this year, the defense is much more responsible in the last few games.

#79 is one of the smartest hockey players to wear the CH that I can remember; so it wouldn't be surprising if he has managed to adapt his game to the limitations causes by his injuries. Still, I'd prefer to have a larger body of work to draw from before declaring that he has "solved" the problems that ailed him last season and early this year. Let's see how he stands up to the grind that seemed to wear him down in the stretch drive last season. Of course, this will also depend on how MT manages his minutes.

When we talk about Markov wearing down at the end of last year, there is a key poing we are forgetting, It was his first full season in 3 years (and was 75+ games including the KHL).

It may just have been him fatigued cause his body wasn't conditioned for a full season, and he might play the same minutes (or more) and not break down this year.

Markov has changed his game somewhat, and he's *far* more intelligent these days. Now, whether that is just an anomaly and he gets tired, I don't know, but I'd imagine Commandant is correct in that, last season being his first in a while, he got overly tired. I suspect we're seeing Lidstrom Light right now - that NHL defender who really establishes himself late in his career. That's my guess-slash-hope.

Because honestly, Markov really is all that - and the bag of chips.