2014 NHL Draft

Commandant

Yes odds are Bleackley is still on the board for Habs.

And if he isn't, a similar player in Dylan Larkin, Adrian Kempe, or will be a Scherbak, Ho-Sang, Vrana to pick.

And as always; Jughead Bob McKenzie comes out with his mock draft/top 30 ranking today and he generally nails high proportion of 1st round picks (last year he had both Habs best picks, dela Rose & Fucale in 1st round).

But are always some GMs who go dumb and take a McCarron in 1st round for some odd reason or other. Search for impact power forward can lead to stupid decisions, or swing for the fences pick.

If we don't move up, is there any chance that Conner Bleackley will be there at 26?

I think he's going to fall in the 22-28 range which is where most also have him so there's a chance. He isn't available to Montreal in HW's Mock Draft though. (We did the draft last night, I'm hoping to have it on the site sometime Wednesday.)

It will be interesting to see who they pick. each "mock draft" had the habs taking someone different.

Yahoo sports said they would draft Dylan Larkin who is #12 on Mckenzie's board. Don't see someone dropping that far.

Good choice dlbalr, Kempe instead of Scherbak. I agree 100%.

But is it, you think Habs would prefer Kempe, or you think he is better option than Scherbak?

Good choice dlbalr, Kempe instead of Scherbak. I agree 100%.

But is it, you think Habs would prefer Kempe, or you think he is better option than Scherbak?

I don't quite know what to make of Scherbak. Was his out-of-nowhere season simply because he had the fortune of being on an awful team and that someone has to score or is he a legitimate late bloomer? I think more the latter but I suspect that question will be in the minds of scouts/GM's as he gets closer to being drafted.

Kempe doesn't have the upside of Scherbak but he's a much safer selection. Given that the Habs don't have a 2nd rounder, I think they'll lean towards making the safer pick depending on who's on the board at that time.

For those of you who are looking for various mock drafts, here's our Mock Draft Comparison. 6 different drafts are fully shown (our annual 'contest') with links to 12 others for your reading enjoyment: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3435

Don't forget to enter our draft pool as well. Test your guesses against other fans and HW's writers: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3431

I don't quite know what to make of Scherbak. Was his out-of-nowhere season simply because he had the fortune of being on an awful team and that someone has to score or is he a legitimate late bloomer? I think more the latter but I suspect that question will be in the minds of scouts/GM's as he gets closer to being drafted.

Kempe doesn't have the upside of Scherbak but he's a much safer selection. Given that the Habs don't have a 2nd rounder, I think they'll lean towards making the safer pick depending on who's on the board at that time.

thanks

Now that it is all over Brian, considering how much work you and others have done--- How do you feel about Montreal's draft?

I'm not giddy with excitement but not upset either. Scherbak probably wouldn't have been my pick at 26 (I liked Barbashev and Kempe) but that's still a solid selection. Lernout seems like he could be a decent 3rd pairing player down the road. The late picks weren't bad either, in particular the goalie...I'd have liked Tkachev though, too good a talent to pass up on in my opinion. Without a 2nd or 4th round pick, it's hard to have an overly exciting draft. It's a B- at best draft in my opinion.

I'm not giddy with excitement but not upset either. Scherbak probably wouldn't have been my pick at 26 (I liked Barbashev and Kempe) but that's still a solid selection. Lernout seems like he could be a decent 3rd pairing player down the road. The late picks weren't bad either, in particular the goalie...I'd have liked Tkachev though, too good a talent to pass up on in my opinion. Without a 2nd or 4th round pick, it's hard to have an overly exciting draft. It's a B- at best draft in my opinion.

Yeah, more pomp than circumstance. It is hard to argue with Timmins record. Not a big fan of using multiple picks to gain one especially being short already for a player that no one was talking about. Anyway HO-HUM.

Crappy draft picks I am fine with, as long as we remain a contender and have at least a half full tank of prospects. If one of these guys pans out I say we did well this year. Ran for the top of our division a good part of the season and won two rounds. We are moving in the right direction, We need a top 6 forward signed.

I actually paid no attention to the draft until it was over this year. The cream was thin. I knew we would get one of a handful of may develops and feel we picked the best we could with a breakout season playmaker.

Scherbak was rated higher than we picked him, Just hope the KHL clubs don't come knocking.

Lernout late 2nd could be an absolute steal! We are going to be pretty big on the D if he is ready to step in to replace Markovs 3rd pairing minutes in 3 years. (I do like the deal and hope his knees hold out) Nothing wrong with that pick even if he becomes a career Bulldog. Big strong defence man that likes to drop them, Sure we can use that.

Koberstein, who knows. He is off to university maybe another 'dog?

Audette I like. I know another small center. But by the time he is nhl ready who knows? He may be the only smurf on the team.

Hawkey? Good name! What a save by Hawkey! lol, Draft a goalie a year?

Evans cold be a sleeper. Maybe we can let him play NCAA for a few years then give him to NYR.

Considering how shallow the pool was I say we faired well.

Timmins hit my wish list with first 3 picks.

I had Barbashev/Kempe/Scherbak circled as favourites and couldn't believe all 3 still on the board @26.

Then bit shocked Barbashev wasn't called, but with all the positive reports on Scherbak and Galchenyuk-like style/size/looks etc I was still very pleased.

And I thought a couple of Craig Ludwig-Rick Green type, big gritty defensive d-man were acking in system and what I wanted.

And Lernout stood out at combine testing and on paper he seemed like would be a fine option with 87th pick (and his fight card showed he isn't a cream puff neither, or as Timmins put it "tough as nails").

So a B+ grade for what he had to work with I suppose but I am a bit giddy: how well will Scherbak fit in with Galchenyuk/Eller/Pacioretty/Gallagher group, niccee addition for sure and couple western d-men, skilled goalie/Q-scorer and Evans isn't too bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Still not impressed with Lernout and not impressed we had to trade up to do it. Would rather have either one of the players Arizona got with those two picks... never mind both (Anton Karlsson and Michael Bunting).