02/27 Montreal @ Pittsburgh: 7PM EST

The one thing I can compliment Therrien on is his powerplay unit of Pleks, Galchenyuk and Briere. It actually makes sense to get those guys out there for the man advantage.

His OT choices on the other hand... yeeesh. As always, it's PK and only PK who is punished. Put the guy out there when it's 4 on 4! I can't help but think that he'd immediately go on a tear if he got a coach that believed in him.

Watched the game. We were really lucky to win. phlowery (there is only one Flower) did not have a good game. He is the opposite of Marty F brodeur who loves to beat the Habs. Listened to the post game show, apparently a great number of people would like to see MT run out of town, which is interesting considering where the Habs are in the standings. But let's face it, it looks like we have a situation where the coach and a star player (Subban) do not see eye to eye and the coach is going to prove who is the boss, we had a situation like that some years ago with some goalie who was run out of town by the coach, I remember that worked out real well, 20 years and counting. Coaches who have to make an example out of a star player when he make s a mistake have much too big an ego. I can still remember Glen Sather benching Gretzky......Oh he never did ever? I wonder why? Well surely Don cherry benched Bobby? no? hmm But Scotty Bowman was famous for benching his stars right? No? Very strange cause the genius we have running this team is firmly committed to that policy and he has won, oh nothing. Oh that's right the last team he was fired from won the cup after they fired him, I wonder if that means anything? I know there was some rumbling about some of the players hating his guts, but what the heck probably just rumour. PK Subban is not perfect he never will be, he makes mistakes, so does every other player in the NHL. If handled correctly he can be the difference and has been on many occasions. This is like a kid who wets his bed and the parents hang his sheets out so the neighbors can see. Punishment by humiliation. Wonderful policy works every time. We are winning games, some by luck, some by skill, and the majority because Carey Price is the best damn goalie in the league. We are not winning because the coach is a genius. Tony Marinaro asked a very good question,"who on this team is better than last year?" There aren't many.

Watched the game. We were really lucky to win. phlowery (there is only one Flower) did not have a good game. He is the opposite of Marty F brodeur who loves to beat the Habs. Listened to the post game show, apparently a great number of people would like to see MT run out of town, which is interesting considering where the Habs are in the standings. But let's face it, it looks like we have a situation where the coach and a star player (Subban) do not see eye to eye and the coach is going to prove who is the boss, we had a situation like that some years ago with some goalie who was run out of town by the coach, I remember that worked out real well, 20 years and counting. Coaches who have to make an example out of a star player when he make s a mistake have much too big an ego. I can still remember Glen Sather benching Gretzky......Oh he never did ever? I wonder why? Well surely Don cherry benched Bobby? no? hmm But Scotty Bowman was famous for benching his stars right? No? Very strange cause the genius we have running this team is firmly committed to that policy and he has won, oh nothing. Oh that's right the last team he was fired from won the cup after they fired him, I wonder if that means anything? I know there was some rumbling about some of the players hating his guts, but what the heck probably just rumour. PK Subban is not perfect he never will be, he makes mistakes, so does every other player in the NHL. If handled correctly he can be the difference and has been on many occasions. This is like a kid who wets his bed and the parents hang his sheets out so the neighbors can see. Punishment by humiliation. Wonderful policy works every time. We are winning games, some by luck, some by skill, and the majority because Carey Price is the best damn goalie in the league. We are not winning because the coach is a genius. Tony Marinaro asked a very good question,"who on this team is better than last year?" There aren't many.

100% agree. We are winning and are where we are in the standings because of how bad the east has been and getting a lot of bounces going our way.

There's only so much Subban is going to take. You look at St. Louis in Tampa and how he wants to be moved and have to really be impressed even more with Subban's attitude given how MT treats him.

Key point . What the friggin hell has MT won at the NHL level? He cost us a playoff series on his own during his first stint. Got canned i pittsburgh and as you said, all that team did was win the cup.

Wow. I would love to watch the same games you guys are. Subban has been a giveaway machine lately. He is bloody dangerous. I might have agreed with you in the beginning of the season when he was playing well, but in the last 10 games, the kid is just plain scary. Minus two in the first period. And playing dipsy doodle with the puck on the pp allowing sutter to score. Would have been a minus 3 but that was a pp. Seriously. Getting mad about subbans ice time after a horrendous performance like that just doesnt make sense.

• Upvote 2

Wow. I would love to watch the same games you guys are. Subban has been a giveaway machine lately. He is bloody dangerous. I might have agreed with you in the beginning of the season when he was playing well, but in the last 10 games, the kid is just plain scary. Minus two in the first period. And playing dipsy doodle with the puck on the pp allowing sutter to score. Would have been a minus 3 but that was a pp. Seriously. Getting mad about subbans ice time after a horrendous performance like that just doesnt make sense.

This isn't about one game, it's about how Therrien is handling the best player on the Habs and turning him mediocre.

• Upvote 1

Ya. I sort of see it sometimes, but I also see him looking much better and putting up better numbers in the last two seasons if you want to look at overall. I don't totally disagree. Sometimes I wish MT would just let him run, but his defensive game and decision making still needs honing. One thing that has to be coming from the coaches is stifling his huge hits. I hate that. I love me some massive pk hits.

This isn't about one game, it's about how Therrien is handling the best player on the Habs and turning him mediocre.

the best player on the habs is price right now. I'm one of PK's biggest fans but MT has nothing to do with how bad PK Subban is right now. that turnover at the line was just plain irresponsible and something an "elite" defensemen as PK described himself earlier doesn't do. what MT should of done instead of benching him in the game was remove him from the PP for a bit to settle him down and straighten him out. the game prior he did the exact same thing and got a penalty which led to a goal. thats 2 major selfish mistakes that could of should of cost us 4 points. thats not MT thats PK!

exactly

i thought tinordi played himself a good couple games so far. he looked relaxed on the puck tonight in his own end and didn't really turn it over at the line anytime i could recall. All against some of the stiffest forward opposition in the league? hopefully he can continue this play and force MB's hand into a move before the deadline

i'm in agreement with those calling PK out in here, the odd giveaway, brain fart, every player does it. What i've been seeing from PK for the last month has been a rollercoaster of LaFleur like rushes and the kind of stuff someone like Weber or Keith never get caught doing.

that is too big of a gap in someone's game, and quite honestly, someone who wants to be considered a top flight Dman needs to understand that the kind of blunders Subban has been taking to the ice, are not even a thought when watching the Webers Keiths Pieterangelos etc. Markov has been a better defenceman for some time now than even Subban. I'm am getting rather tired of hearing the constant whining from the blind Subban lovers, who despite his obvious drop in reliability, dominance and overall game, rather blame MT for being just as frustrated with what he sees from PK as most of us are.

I'm not saying trade the kid by any means, but I am saying, stop acting like an overly sensitive mother trying to get in the way of a Fathers good old fashion licking, the kid needs to be disciplined because he is going above and beyond his ability to screw up lately, and its about time he gets his head in the game again.

I got BCHabnut,'s, Link's and Heart's side on the PK stuff, he has been awful. Subban has been reckless and almost trying to hard as an individual, and giving the puck up like KFC passes out chicken. Contract weighing heavily, both on coach and player maybe? Maybe just that need for a stalwart #3 is showing us that we need a reliable, big, strong stay at home guy with Subban to bail him out and let him free wheel. Still, it's a team sport, and right now PK looks like he wants to show "his" stuff, for "his" new contract. Worst game he has played in a while vs Pit, and that's saying something..... Link mentioned his obvious drop in reliability, and that's the main point right there, he is not reliable lately.

Damn, it's sure making me see that maybe now isn't the time to trade Markov :nuts:

I think the issue here is that Therrien has been benching PK from the first giveaway he ever made. Responding with such little confidence in a top young defensivemen has to harm pk's confidence. Now I know PK has a strong personality, but there's only so much mental abuse anyone can take. Between the media calling PK a constant danger in his own end, and Therrien not playing in OT, benching him for extended periods of time.. Wow that has to hurt the psyche. I think anyone's play would drop off with blows to the confidence like that. Imagine PK was treated the way DD was. 2nd, 3rd 4th... 19th chances. After being benched as much as he has, PK understands that giving the puck away is bad I'm quite sure. Destroying confidence only increases his likelyhood of giving it away again. Have some bloody confidence in one of your best players Therrien. We all know how PK plays when he has confidence. (See the game versus Dallas some time around January)

If PK was treated the way DD was, that would mean healthy scratching Subban.

Ok that's Definitely a point that I was forgetting. All I was trying to say is that I felt DD had far more chances than PK. Don't get me wrong, I think PK by now should have been benched, a couple times. My problem though is that I'm not sure it's helping him any more than hurting him now

According to the perspective of Penguins fans, they were complimenting Therrien and wished Disco Dan would do the same when their young players need a settle down. Said that when Subban came out for the PP later on he looked a lot more aware of his earlier play and toned things down.

Might be good to see things from the other side once in a while. That said I still believe that Subban's giveaway had a lot to do with Therrien gluing him to the ice for too long. Maybe Subban asked to play that whole powerplay and that's why he got disciplined when it led to a goal?

Briere seems to thrive with few shifts, 3points in 9minutes of ice.

Tinordi and Murray actually move the puck better than I thought they would.

3rd in the East, not bad.

Poor Subban, so mistreated! It is Therrien;s fault he took 2 selfish penalties in last game and managed to be the only -2 Hab yesterday. :cry_smile:

Guest Stogey24

Ok that's Definitely a point that I was forgetting. All I was trying to say is that I felt DD had far more chances than PK. Don't get me wrong, I think PK by now should have been benched, a couple times. My problem though is that I'm not sure it's helping him any more than hurting him now

Is he worth 8 mill is the final question

i'm in agreement with those calling PK out in here, the odd giveaway, brain fart, every player does it. What i've been seeing from PK for the last month has been a rollercoaster of LaFleur like rushes and the kind of stuff someone like Weber or Keith never get caught doing.

that is too big of a gap in someone's game, and quite honestly, someone who wants to be considered a top flight Dman needs to understand that the kind of blunders Subban has been taking to the ice, are not even a thought when watching the Webers Keiths Pieterangelos etc. Markov has been a better defenceman for some time now than even Subban. I'm am getting rather tired of hearing the constant whining from the blind Subban lovers, who despite his obvious drop in reliability, dominance and overall game, rather blame MT for being just as frustrated with what he sees from PK as most of us are.

I'm not saying trade the kid by any means, but I am saying, stop acting like an overly sensitive mother trying to get in the way of a Fathers good old fashion licking, the kid needs to be disciplined because he is going above and beyond his ability to screw up lately, and its about time he gets his head in the game again.

Just for the record, Subban, as per NHL.com has 66 giveaways so far this season.

Karlsson 82

Doughty 63

Markov 59

McDonagh 54

Keith 49

Sure it is something Weber rarely get caught with. He barely touches the puck before taking a shot in the offensive zone.

It's way more easy to make turnovers when you actually carry the puck...

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Yes.

Well then Montreal needs to pay the man. All of this shit with team Canada and the ongoing contract talks are clearly damaging this player. Subban is trying to prove a point and he shouldn't have to. He's over thinking plays and putting himself in bad positions on the rink. If M.B wants what is best for this team he needs to sort this subban situation out.

Well then Montreal needs to pay the man. All of this shit with team Canada and the ongoing contract talks are clearly damaging this player. Subban is trying to prove a point and he shouldn't have to. He's over thinking plays and putting himself in bad positions on the rink. If M.B wants what is best for this team he needs to sort this subban situation out.

I agree 100%. But we don't know how negotiations are going. Nobody really does since all I hear are wild theories from various sources.

I think last nights game will be an eye opener from Subban. While Therrien deserves blame for sure, Subban's game has not been on track. Hopefully after this game, him and Therrien have a talk and he realizes how he needs to play if he wants to be a leader. You got Markov also without a contract working his ass off with 27 minutes of ice time. If Subban wants to replace Markov soon, he needs to play like that. Play smarter. Take chances when you need to.

That Sutter goal though, I'd love to know the full story. From my memory, a Penguin took a penalty on Subban. Then Subban stayed out there for the whole PP. The Penguins PBP was saying, "If Therrien wants to keep Subban out there they should take a time out. He really looks exhausted" and then the next shift, Sutter strips Subban of the puck and scores. It didn't look like a situation that has ever come up with Therrien before, aside from not calling a time out. He usually restrains Subban and there he didn't, and Subban got caught due to it. It was very weird.

Guest Stogey24

I agree 100%. But we don't know how negotiations are going. Nobody really does since all I hear are wild theories from various sources.

I think last nights game will be an eye opener from Subban. While Therrien deserves blame for sure, Subban's game has not been on track. Hopefully after this game, him and Therrien have a talk and he realizes how he needs to play if he wants to be a leader. You got Markov also without a contract working his ass off with 27 minutes of ice time. If Subban wants to replace Markov soon, he needs to play like that. Play smarter. Take chances when you need to.

That Sutter goal though, I'd love to know the full story. From my memory, a Penguin took a penalty on Subban. Then Subban stayed out there for the whole PP. The Penguins PBP was saying, "If Therrien wants to keep Subban out there they should take a time out. He really looks exhausted" and then the next shift, Sutter strips Subban of the puck and scores. It didn't look like a situation that has ever come up with Therrien before, aside from not calling a time out. He usually restrains Subban and there he didn't, and Subban got caught due to it. It was very weird.

Subban coughed the puck. That's on him no one else. He was at centre and had options.

Subban makes his money on the power play and being creative. Even when he's playing poorly, no one on the Habs gets the puck out of the defensive zone faster. He's basically the only player we have who can make a play to break the trap. It's a shame to see his role reduced by MB to a careful breakout in the zone and a slap shot on the pp.

• Upvote 1

Funny how Habs fill net with pucks to bail out Red Light Budaj, who then shuts down Pens in shootout, beat best team in east, move into 3rd place and you would think some fans besides me might be pleased with win, but am in small minority I guess.

Funny how Habs fill net with pucks to bail out Red Light Budaj, who then shuts down Pens in shootout, beat best team in east, move into 3rd place and you would think some fans besides me might be pleased with win, but am in small minority I guess.

There's a lot left to be desired by the way the Habs play and how Therrien handles minutes but that doesn't change the fact we're winning games that people first said was all Price and now they don't have that to claim.

In a lot of ways the Habs are better than claimed but worse than expected.