3/3 Montreal at Los Angeles

I regret staying up for this. Not sure what's in store on Wednesday but I can tell you the Ducks will destroy the Habs if they play the same sloppy game as tonight.

Habs threw lots of hits, was a typical King shut down game.

I'd also add that it was a much sloppier game from the habs. I think the score flattered us. they didn't quit, but they were pretty damn sloppy and pretty much kept outside.

Should have pulled Budaj with 2 minutes left and the faceoff in the offensive zone.

The thing is that Therrien is probably happy with us only losing 2-1, despite the fact that we were generally stifled and outclassed.

like i said earlier, the score flattered us.

I regret staying up for this. Not sure what's in store on Wednesday but I can tell you the Ducks will destroy the Habs if they play the same sloppy game as tonight.

agree. will probably pay for it being late for the office tomorrow.

I'm not so sure I agree with people on Briere. We should not have signed him. I agree there. But he has had zero minutes as the centre of a top 6 line. Scores two goals and an assist and comes back behind Eller playing with moan and parros??? I think the biggest issues in true lineup are not individual. They are team balance issues. Briere and DD should never be on the same team. Gorges should never be a top 4 and Emelin should never be right defense.

• Upvote 1

The Kings are abetter team than we are, we need to get better. The only way we can is trade assets. If anyone has a better idea let me know cause I only know that we have to improve the talent level.

I'm not so sure I agree with people on Briere. We should not have signed him. I agree there. But he has had zero minutes as the centre of a top 6 line. Scores two goals and an assist and comes back behind Eller playing with moan and parros??? I think the biggest issues in true lineup are not individual. They are team balance issues. Briere and DD should never be on the same team. Gorges should never be a top 4 and Emelin should never be right defense.

Agree, but that's why he shouldn't have been signed. No way should a team be constructed with Gallagher, Gionta, Briere and DD.

I'll take Gallagher over Gionta and if we can move DD, Gorges and Moen for Kane, i'd do that, but now that the Jets have righted the course, they probably aren't as eager to add the leadership that Gorges/Moen would bring, which were the types of players they needed until the coaching change.

Issue with Briere and Eller is that neither have looked comfortable as wingers. Having said that, if we don't make a move on WEdnesday, MT NEEDs to try and get them to play together. part of the issue is that he'll play Eller with Bourque for 15 or 20 games, but tends to only experiment with a combo like Eller-Briere for about a period.

The Kings are abetter team than we are, we need to get better. The only way we can is trade assets. If anyone has a better idea let me know cause I only know that we have to improve the talent level.

There is not other option.

MT should be open for business on Wednesday. Try and move some quantity for quality. They should move DD while he is producing. move Briere, move Gorges, move Gionta, move Moen and definitely remove the trash like Bourque and Bouillon.

The guy I don't want to move is Markov. The tabs made the mistake of trading away, or letting their leadership and experience on the D at the same time in the late 80's/early 90's (Robinson, Green, Ludwig, Chelios) and that really impacted the development of the young dmen. Gorges is the guy I'd move and Markov is the guy I'd hang on to. I can see him being effective 3 years from now.

From the forwards we have Moen, White, Prust, Weisse, Parros. That's 5 4th liners and no real skilled wingers for the 3rd line outside of Bournival and Pleks is playing with a washed up Gionta on the 2nd line.

We need to pick up at least one top 4 dman to tide us over until Tinordi/Bealieau are ready and 2 more scorers. If we can pick at least one quality D (upgrade on Gorges) and one scorer capable of scoring the 25+ goals that Gionta used to score, we'll be in better shape for the playoffs.

Hab29 This where we disagree, we have to move Markov, after this year he will net us zippo. Effective in 3 years? Heck he ain't that effective right now. I love the guy but this is a business not a nursery school. I agree with you on a lot of stuff but not on this one, nope uh uh uh.

Guest Stogey24

Hab29 This where we disagree, we have to move Markov, after this year he will net us zippo. Effective in 3 years? Heck he ain't that effective right now. I love the guy but this is a business not a nursery school. I agree with you on a lot of stuff but not on this one, nope uh uh uh.

Markov looked damn slow last night.

Agree, but that's why he shouldn't have been signed. No way should a team be constructed with Gallagher, Gionta, Briere and DD.

I'll take Gallagher over Gionta and if we can move DD, Gorges and Moen for Kane, i'd do that, but now that the Jets have righted the course, they probably aren't as eager to add the leadership that Gorges/Moen would bring, which were the types of players they needed until the coaching change.

Issue with Briere and Eller is that neither have looked comfortable as wingers. Having said that, if we don't make a move on WEdnesday, MT NEEDs to try and get them to play together. part of the issue is that he'll play Eller with Bourque for 15 or 20 games, but tends to only experiment with a combo like Eller-Briere for about a period.

Dude, Gorges and Moen for Kane?

Markov looked damn slow last night.

Dude, Gorges and Moen for Kane?

That's DD, gorges and Moen.

Or Eller, gorges and Moen.

Dream on, folks. MB is not going to do much at the deadline.

With the post-Leafs glow worn off, we're now back to sullenly pondering the lack of talent. To me, it always comes back to this - are we in a position, organizationally, to become major, perennial contenders within 2-3 years or not? If we are not, then we should be doing whatever it takes to acquire the assets needed to achieve that position. If we are, then steady as she goes. I am less sanguine than Commandant. I think our likeliest future is more of the same.

I think Markov has slowed down, but still has high hockey iQ. I'd be open to moving him or Pleks, but I wouldn't move either for just for picks. If we move either it has to be for a package that includes high impact players like an O'reilley or Kane. Moving either for a 20 to 30 pick doesn't make sense to me. If we can get a first+ for gorges, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

I wish MB hadn't been asleep last year when bobby Ryan was available. Markov, Eller in a package for Ryan might have been a possibility.

Habs29, you've got the right idea for sure - get back young players who can play, not picks. I don't agree with moving Gorges for a 1st either. We need a d-man who can push Gorges down the depth chart - only at that point does he become expendable.

The problem is, you're gonna pay through the nose for an O'Reilly or Kane at the deadline. Every single team in the NHL wants O'Reilly; it'd be a classic bidding war. Markov wouldn't do it either, given that Colorado is not "going all in" this season but is building, just like we are. Pleks might do it - but do you really want that?

Better? You are kidding arnt you?

If you want to idolize boring trap hockey, this is the New Jersey-Lamaire team of the West and only thing they are better at is playing a shut down J Martin system! That is what we need to be and see on a consistent basis, uggg no thanks.

And in a 7 games series they wouldn't scare me to see Habs matched up against (but would be a fugly boring series, that is for sure).

Guest Stogey24

If you want to idolize boring trap hockey, this is the New Jersey-Lamaire team of the West and only thing they are better at is playing a shut down J Martin system! That is what we need to be and see on a consistent basis, uggg no thanks.

And in a 7 games series they wouldn't scare me to see Habs matched up against (but would be a fugly boring series, that is for sure).

I know what your saying Don, but Cucumber is right. The way L.A cycled the puck in the O zone was pretty impressive. Montreal would need Price to stand on his head to win a round against L.A.

Must be nice playing in L.A. Show up at the rink in shorts and a tee. Not mention all of the broads in the crowd.

we have to move Markov, after this year he will net us zippo. Effective in 3 years? Heck he ain't that effective right now.

You have officially lost all credibility as a poster. All he has done this season is play the most minutes of anybody on the team and is on pace for 47 points and a +9 on a team that is second in it's division. I'd like to know your definition of effective.

And what style of hockey do you think MT is playing? It sure as heck isn't wide open firewagon hockey. It is kitty bar the door

I thought Mtl put forth a pretty decent effort. I know the Kings had a lot of chances but in the end the difference was a PP goal. Montreal had some chances too, but in this one they were just out classed. The kings were skating and moving the puck fast all night, not to mention the kings were the physically stronger team too even though montreal did get more hits on the stat sheet.

Their D core is easily one of the best in the NHL

Muzzin Doughty
Regehr Voynov

Mitchel Martinez

And what style of hockey do you think MT is playing? It sure as heck isn't wide open firewagon hockey. It is kitty bar the door

And you are endlessly hyper-negatively critical of Hab coaching staff for just that, but when another coach does it and wins 1 game, you say "See what a good team can do!"

When Kings have had almost identical season as Habs. So you are really in a round about way, applauding Hab coachs 'strategy'.

Which I do agree with.

The Kings would wipe the Habs out in a 7-game series, DON. Face reality.

C.C is right. I don't think the Habs would be in the playoffs had we played in the western conference. We wouldnt' stand muc of a chance against the Kings in a 7 game series. We would need a minor miracle from Price!

Remember, the Habs have more players on their team who are listed at 5'9" and less than the entire WESTERN CONFERENCE!!!

Of course we're gonna get pushed around by the bigger western teams, it's obvious!

C.C is right. I don't think the Habs would be in the playoffs had we played in the western conference. We wouldnt' stand muc of a chance against the Kings in a 7 game series. We would need a minor miracle from Price!

Remember, the Habs have more players on their team who are listed at 5'9" and less than the entire WESTERN CONFERENCE!!!

Of course we're gonna get pushed around by the bigger western teams, it's obvious!

Just like got pushed around yesterday? I will take that.

There wasn't much we could do when the Kings were cycling the puck down low.

On a different note, I did like the way Galchenyuk was playing last night. The kid is gonna be one helluva player!

And you are endlessly hyper-negatively critical of Hab coaching staff for just that, but when another coach does it and wins 1 game, you say "See what a good team can do!"

When Kings have had almost identical season as Habs. So you are really in a round about way, applauding Hab coachs 'strategy'.

Which I do agree with.

Sorry Don I got no idea what you are talking about, I have never been an advocate of the trap, quite the opposite. And I have never talked about how another coach coaches.

Kings would sweep the Habs in a series, c'mon you guys..... Habs are not even close to being competitive with these big teams from the West period .

Kings coach confirms what the Advanced Stats watchers already knew... the best defense doesn't come from a guy who blocks lots of shots and throws lots of hits (aka Murray). It comes through puck possession.