May 6, Boston vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

This was a must-win IMHO, and the Habs played a terrific game. Everybody was (not unfairly) saying that the Habs were overmatched and that the Bruins were likely to march to victory. Well, this game changed that narrative. Yes, there were sustained periods of Boston pressure - we looked especially bad about midway through the first - but we did a MUCH better job of both boxing the Prunes to the outside, and at playing the transition game. The latter is the absolute key to our success and I was very relieved to see us executing so much better. This was the first game where we really did seem to have a "speed" advantage, and the first game where the teams seemed roughly evenly matched.

I felt that one of our frail reeds of hope was that the home-ice last change might make a difference, blunting the obvious advantage the Bruins enjoyed over the first two games. This hope seems to have been borne out. Thank heavens we have home ice advantage.

Vanek is coming on. Did you see that shift he had in the third, where he wound up hitting the post? Awesome. And Patches just needs to bag one - the floodgates will open.

Murray was Murray. Huge hits, significant amount of flailing in his own end. Ya take the bad with the good. It was interesting that we seemed to take the hitting TO the Bruins in this game. Moen, Emelin, and Murray really set the tone in that regard.

What can you say about Price and Subban? The former has continued to deliver goaltending that is about as good as it can be, while the latter is a bona-fide SUPERSTAR. Best position player since Lafleur, no question about it.

Now, next game. I expect that the Bruins will put a HUGE emphasis on scoring first. They have basically been playing catch-up all series, and if they were to jump out to an early lead, it would represent a pattern-breaking moment in the series. Will it happen, and if it does, how will the Habs respond? Time will tell!!

They just don't have an answer for Subban/Price.

Doing quite well for a non-elite, poor puck possessing, crappy coached, rebuilding team vs Cup favourite.

Long way to go, but I hope my pick of Bruins in 6 is out to lunch.

My favourite "commentary" moment last night was Craig Simpson saying the Brutes should just forget about trying to hit Subban. "He's too mobile, you can't hit him." :lol: How frustrating it must be for these arseholes to have serious hockey people saying that there is nothing you can do about this superstar talent. I cannot remember another Habs player that I've believed in as much as PK. Not since Roy. He is THE most explosive player in all of hockey. Period. And all the critics can p**s right off.

• Upvote 1

He is THE most explosive player in all of hockey. Period. And all the critics can p**s right off.

Absolutely!

Boston is tying themselves in knots coaching wise.

They had Bergeron almost working double duty against our top six. He's been shutting DD and Patches down the kind of way we did to Stamkos. But that's leaving our third line open (and they are all borderline top six players) and it's leaving Subban open. You'd think after game two, three and four as well as games one and two now, they'd be just telling Bergeron to go out every time Subban is on the ice and stick to him like glue. Nope. Making things better, this is the first Bruins game since he signed with the team years and years back that I forgot Chara was playing.

It's chess at this point with Montreal in the best positions. If Boston switches gears with their shutdown line, it opens up Pacioretty/Desharnais. If they move up closer to stop the defencemen, it opens Montreal to get in tighter with Rask. If they play tougher, we might burn them on the powerplay. If they play softer, we're gonna expose them with giveaways.

All that said, Boston is still dangerous close to every shift. Thornton is a meathead but man does he play hard. He's that scary "old school mentality" example of a guy with very little skill but gets more out of it than most skill guys. He wills himself into our zone. He wills himself into scoring chances.

I don't want to have to put my foot in my mouth in the future but screw it. Rask might be Boston's Patrick Roy. We just have his number like Neely and Bourque used to have St. Patrick's. Boston's next chance at a Cup might have to come when they don't play us in the playoffs. So far, Rask is going from an unbeatable goalie to a guy who lets in Dale Weise five hole shots. Not that breakaways are his fault but man. That said, we used to run Timmy Thomas out of his net. He's young still. Things can change. Not that I want them to.

Wasn't as sick as when SK74 and AK46 scored back to back goals on the first 2 shifts of the game, but man...

SICK SHIT at the Bell Centre tonight !!!!!!!!!

When was that?

Hamiltons' gaff on Subban might be an example of why Tinordi hasn't drawn in yet, young d-men tend to have costly brain cramps.

Please don't forget that Hamilton has a goal and an assist in the series and is a +2.

Playing kids in situations like these playoff's is extremely important for development.

Hamilton and Tinordi are at different stages in their development. Hamilton played 64 games this season...Tinordi 22, after playing himself OFF the team. So anyone drawing an analogy should think again. The Bruins kid who impresses me the most is actually Krug. He is closely analogous to Beaulieu, and has been really effective at giving the Brutes some extra offensive push from the back end.

My favourite "commentary" moment last night was Craig Simpson saying the Brutes should just forget about trying to hit Subban. "He's too mobile, you can't hit him." :lol: How frustrating it must be for these arseholes to have serious hockey people saying that there is nothing you can do about this superstar talent. I cannot remember another Habs player that I've believed in as much as PK. Not since Roy. He is THE most explosive player in all of hockey. Period. And all the critics can p**s right off.

But don't you know Vlasic is better?

It's become kinda sad how hometown statisticians even have picked in his TO. He gets credited with WAY too many. He gets to the pucknfirst and out muscles two foreckecers and zips it around the boards and its kept in. Turn over. Meanwhile, 9 out of 10 defence man can't get to puck and loose possession before they even have it, or to the same, instead of zipping it around, keep it between there feet and wrestle until they loose.

Plus, PK wins 80 percent of the one on one saw off battles, instead of 50 percent.

Hey, don't you now Chara is better? He's a top three finalist. LOL. Keep up the middle ice turn overs big guy.

It's crazy.

Edited by dreegking

I'll say it now. Chara had the better regular season for sure, and the Norris trophy is a regular season award.

But nobody in the East on defence can compare to Subban in the post-season, and only Brookbank and Suter can compare to him in the West. Even then, he's on a different level.

Subban is the best defenceman in the post-season right now, and one of the best players.

Please don't forget that Hamilton has a goal and an assist in the series and is a +2.

Playing kids in situations like these playoff's is extremely important for development.

Don't forget Tinordi had his confidence shattered in the fall and then struggled in Hamilton for longest time before got his confidence/physical game back.

Hamilton was a regular d-man all this year but still is making rookie mistakes after 100+NHL games. We saw Tinordi give away a regular season game and if he did that in playoffs, he may be roasted by 21 273 critics and be OByrne the 2nd.

But saying that, I agree with you and I would still love to see him playing every game and live with any miscues he has.

One of Boston's beat writers had an 'interesting' write-up on the game last night. Suffice it to say, the editor was asleep at the switch. I can't link the full original article as it has since been edited but here are some of the more puzzling excerpts: http://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-happened-with-this-bruins-column-1572867533

Hamiltons' gaff on Subban might be an example of why Tinordi hasn't drawn in yet, young d-men tend to have costly brain cramps.

Exactly. If he played for MT, he would ride pine, if it were in a regular season game.

But then there's Julien, who compared him to Larry Robinson in a press conference. LOL. I guess if that's true, #76 is already as good as Denis Potvin, and the Great Bobby Orr is waiting for a stage hook.

Things can go badly. Two games aren't a series win, but I like the way they look, and the Bruins have to win 3/4, and at least one in Bell Centre.

No practice for the Bruins today, and after a game that featured three serious breakdowns at the best, if not a complete systemic collapse at the worst, speaks to their fatigue level.

The simple plays down low in the defensive zone, and the stretch passing is why MT is winning the coaching duel as of game one. Not nearly enough physicality on the Bruins side, and after three slow starts, I smell complacency.

One of Boston's beat writers had an 'interesting' write-up on the game last night. Suffice it to say, the editor was asleep at the switch. I can't link the full original article as it has since been edited but here are some of the more puzzling excerpts: http://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-happened-with-this-bruins-column-1572867533

Time for a new career. "Hacks with Haggs" can be replaced by "Brews with Haggs."

I like Haggerty a lot. He seems like a genuinely cool guy, and his reporting is respectable. What he does transcends the "guy who didn't get hired by the Sox," or the freelance reporters they have submitting tired narratives that barely made sense 3-5 years ago.

Most of the reporters, and especially the radio announcers have zero credibility and aren't "hockey people" at all. Gresch and Zoe, Zoe being Scott Zolak former Patriots backup QB, are the best example I can point to. This is one of the reasons Canadian hockey coverage, especially HNIC is a real treat for us Yanks. I mean c'mon, my favorite guy on NBC is Milbury by a country mile. "The Home of Pierre." UGH

Well said Cuke. Along with the earlier post. PK is revealing himself (in a nice family viewing OK sort of way...) as a bona fide, undoubted superstar and dare I say, one who is being well coached.

And what about CP. the goalie, not the railway... I am astonished.

Can you remember a couple of years ago, flinching at every shot on goal?

We're having a pretty danged interesting post season with Les Boys, n'est ce pas?

And neat how 'seemingly' so many 'HabFans' curse Murray as 'worst' d-man to ever walk the planet.

Yet you notice (in a poll on HIO) 92% of Habfans want to see the Big Galoot in the lineup for game 4?

Must be that those in small minority who disapprove of Douglas, really like to yell to make their point? (reminds me of old Winston C quote; "There is no such thing as public opinion. There is only published opinion.")

I'd rather play Murrey over Bouillon, but I'd prefer Tinordi or Beaulieu to get a look. Which is why I thought at the end of the season they should have played more and got a chance when we were up 2-0 against TB

And neat how 'seemingly' so many 'HabFans' curse Murray as 'worst' d-man to ever walk the planet.

Yet you notice (in a poll on HIO) 92% of Habfans want to see the Big Galoot in the lineup for game 4?

Must be that those in small minority who disapprove of Douglas, really like to yell to make their point? (reminds me of old Winston C quote; "There is no such thing as public opinion. There is only published opinion.")

I'd rather play Murrey over Bouillon, but I'd prefer Tinordi or Beaulieu to get a look. Which is why I thought at the end of the season they should have played more and got a chance when we were up 2-0 against TB

And it is just nice to have 3 'extra' d-men who could step-up if injury happens and all 3 play a different type of game. Same as 3rd/4th liners up front, depth may be needed if do manage to hang on and play another 10-15 games.

What had really impressed me is that he is not diving or buying the after whistle junk. He is all business and business is damn good baby!

This was a must-win IMHO, and the Habs played a terrific game. Everybody was (not unfairly) saying that the Habs were overmatched and that the Bruins were likely to march to victory. Well, this game changed that narrative. Yes, there were sustained periods of Boston pressure - we looked especially bad about midway through the first - but we did a MUCH better job of both boxing the Prunes to the outside, and at playing the transition game. The latter is the absolute key to our success and I was very relieved to see us executing so much better. This was the first game where we really did seem to have a "speed" advantage, and the first game where the teams seemed roughly evenly matched.

I felt that one of our frail reeds of hope was that the home-ice last change might make a difference, blunting the obvious advantage the Bruins enjoyed over the first two games. This hope seems to have been borne out. Thank heavens we have home ice advantage.

Vanek is coming on. Did you see that shift he had in the third, where he wound up hitting the post? Awesome. And Patches just needs to bag one - the floodgates will open.

Murray was Murray. Huge hits, significant amount of flailing in his own end. Ya take the bad with the good. It was interesting that we seemed to take the hitting TO the Bruins in this game. Moen, Emelin, and Murray really set the tone in that regard.

What can you say about Price and Subban? The former has continued to deliver goaltending that is about as good as it can be, while the latter is a bona-fide SUPERSTAR. Best position player since Lafleur, no question about it.

Now, next game. I expect that the Bruins will put a HUGE emphasis on scoring first. They have basically been playing catch-up all series, and if they were to jump out to an early lead, it would represent a pattern-breaking moment in the series. Will it happen, and if it does, how will the Habs respond? Time will tell!!

I'm way late on this but I had been wanting to say that point for days now. I've only had time to browse the forum and not post and so I wasn't able to.

People on here were talking about how the Habs couldn't match the Bruins' top level and how the Habs were being outplayed for the most part. I know you were one of them and while I can't say I disagree, the Bruins were playing at home and that is to be expected. There's a reason people classify being tied after the first period on the road as a solid "road period". The Bruins are a very good team as well but the Habs have given us very little reason to doubt them so far in the playoffs despite those who don't enjoy the way we try to hang on to leads and get outplayed when we have the lead.

The other day I went to Game 2 of LA vs Anaheim. Gaborik scored about 34 seconds into the game and I can assure you that for 59 minutes and 26 seconds, LA simply tried "hanging on to the lead" but they won the game. For what it's worth, we are without a doubt playing better than either Anaheim or LA right now. I felt pretty confident about the 3rd game since it was at home. Matchups are key and the Bruins had full control in the first two games. Game four will be tougher than the third though.

Anyway, the point is that those who complain about the manner in which we win on the road should find other things to complain about. First of all, the road is a place where we're supposed to be outplayed so any win is a "victory". Second of all, the way a team plays on the road is not necessarily indicative of said team's possible peak. Judge them after they get a lick in on home ice at least.

That may be true. So far the home team has won 38 games in the 2014 playoffs, the visitors only 22. But the fact is, not a single series has finished in 7 games with the home team winning all their games. You can't count on winning all your home games, so even with home ice advantage, you have to win at least one on the road.

Montreal is unlikely to ever have home ice advantage in a series this year, so they're likely going to need to win 2 on the road for any given series.

Every complaint you hear is about our chances of winning the series. If we can win tonight's game, I think the odds are heavily in our favor, but right now with a 2-1 series lead, it feels like a coin toss.

I'm way late on this but I had been wanting to say that point for days now. I've only had time to browse the forum and not post and so I wasn't able to.

People on here were talking about how the Habs couldn't match the Bruins' top level and how the Habs were being outplayed for the most part. I know you were one of them and while I can't say I disagree, the Bruins were playing at home and that is to be expected. There's a reason people classify being tied after the first period on the road as a solid "road period". The Bruins are a very good team as well but the Habs have given us very little reason to doubt them so far in the playoffs despite those who don't enjoy the way we try to hang on to leads and get outplayed when we have the lead.

The other day I went to Game 2 of LA vs Anaheim. Gaborik scored about 34 seconds into the game and I can assure you that for 59 minutes and 26 seconds, LA simply tried "hanging on to the lead" but they won the game. For what it's worth, we are without a doubt playing better than either Anaheim or LA right now. I felt pretty confident about the 3rd game since it was at home. Matchups are key and the Bruins had full control in the first two games. Game four will be tougher than the third though.

Anyway, the point is that those who complain about the manner in which we win on the road should find other things to complain about. First of all, the road is a place where we're supposed to be outplayed so any win is a "victory". Second of all, the way a team plays on the road is not necessarily indicative of said team's possible peak. Judge them after they get a lick in on home ice at least.

:clap::clap::clap:

So tired to read about how we were dominated in the 3rd, holding on a lead. Like we were supposed to be better than the other team 100% of the time for 100% of our games.

Not enough credit given to our opponents.

We're even in points with the Kings. Not sure what the tie-breaker would be.

I think is regulation wins after points to break tie?